Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Iain Murray: The “Big Fella” of the America’s Cup on SailGP

https://yachtracing.life/iain-murray-the-big-fella-of-the-americas-cup-on-sailgp/

He’s quick, he’s funny, but he costs you lots of money, Iain Murray, Iain Murray.

• Like 2

"The difficulty comes as venues like this, with forecasts of 30 knots, we would have had small sails today, and so there is an always a risk that you are putting the wrong size sail on. ‘  Imurray

Just as I said, small sails would make the"stadium" shifty venues all boring. At least when the boats were overpowered it was interesting/frightening to watch. They would never get out of the holes with 30% less sail. 

Anyway...

29 minutes ago, barfy said:

They would never get out of the holes with 30% less sail. 

Going to 3 wing sizes makes perfect sense since they want to race in more venues than San Francisco and those predictable, clockwork, awesome conditions on the Bay.

I followed AC31 in Auckland for 2003 and the sailing conditions were a complete mess. What coming windshift to cast your gamble on is pretty normal in boat racing but comes down to a gamble by tacticians instead of what the AC was intended to be: A competition between yacht designs from different nations. 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:06 PM, NeedAClew said:

My suspicion is the tax guys reminded them that the IRS has limited patience for "hobby" businesses.

Huh?

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Huh?

Bingo! Wth does a $50B guy care about some $5M chump-change sailing series’ tax-exempt’s status? 

Leave that to the $2B De Vos guy, whose campaign really is filed as a 501(c) best I can tell..

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Bingo! Wth does a $50B guy care about some $5M chump-change sailing series’ tax-exempt’s status? 

Leave that to the $2B De Vos guy, whose campaign really is filed as a 501(c) best I can tell..

The Devos family has more money than Larry

you just have to add them all together

Despite Betsy and the anti-education crusade, they are still much more highly regarded as people than he is!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The Devos family has more money than Larry

you just have to add them all together

Despite Betsy and the anti-education crusade, they are still much more highly regarded as people than he is!

I'm curious Clean - why do you have such a beef with LE? Did he do something to you personally - or do you just not like his style?

29 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I'm curious Clean - why do you have such a beef with LE? Did he do something to you personally - or do you just not like his style?

When the 2007-2010 cup mess happened, I used some of my spare time on trips to the NY Supreme Court to read biographies about Larry.  Then I got to see how he works up close in spain, and afterwards I put some effort into building an understanding about him, talking to many ex-oracle crew and some golfers and tennis players that had longtime dealings with him.

Their experiences dovetail with those in the various books and articles: By all accounts, he is a narcissistic asshole who doesn't give a flying shit about anyone but himself, and he leaves a trail of devastation in his personal and corporate wake.  The ultimate "zero sum game" kind of guy. 

You know what no one ever said to me about Larry during either an on-record interview or late night drunken conversation?  "He's a good person."

Fuck Larry Ellison.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Fuck Larry Ellison.

Aww... Did he not give you a job, not love you? How painful!

There was a very enjoyable evening you and I and Rennmaus and others shared in Valencia where RC allowed you to do a designers conference inside the OR team base. They apparently got too busy to accommodate more events like that but, shrug, it was understandable given the situation..

Was one of the few times I have met RC and it was, again, a brief and pleasurable experience.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

When the 2007-2010 cup mess happened, I used some of my spare time on trips to the NY Supreme Court to read biographies about Larry.  Then I got to see how he works up close in spain, and afterwards I put some effort into building an understanding about him, talking to many ex-oracle crew and some golfers and tennis players that had longtime dealings with him.

Their experiences dovetail with those in the various books and articles: By all accounts, he is a narcissistic asshole who doesn't give a flying shit about anyone but himself, and he leaves a trail of devastation in his personal and corporate wake.  The ultimate "zero sum game" kind of guy. 

You know what no one ever said to me about Larry during either an on-record interview or late night drunken conversation?  "He's a good person."

Fuck Larry Ellison.

Honestly, does that surprise you? The very same thing has been said of Steve Jobs, Rupert Murdoch, Ted Turner, Thomas Edison, the Packers - and many, many others in similar positions. I've certainly dealt with many myself over the years. It is, by some accounts in the world of business, a necessary trait.

I don't know what constitutes a "good person" in your eyes (now that would be an interesting exercise) - but you might be in the wrong sport if you're looking for a bundle of people at the top who are not "zero sum game" kind of people.

Anyway, it's your anger to burn - but unless he did something to you personally, it really does seem like a lot of effort carrying all that beef around for what seem to be very vague reasons.

• Like 6

On 10/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

I called him a sociopath in the My Song thread, that must have been an understatement.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, smackdaddy said:

Honestly, does that surprise you? The very same thing has been said of Steve Jobs, Rupert Murdoch, Ted Turner, Thomas Edison, the Packers - and many, many others in similar positions. I've certainly dealt with many myself over the years. It is, by some accounts in the world of business, a necessary trait.

I don't know what constitutes a "good person" in your eyes (now that would be an interesting exercise) - but you might be in the wrong sport if you're looking for a bundle of people at the top who are not "zero sum game" kind of people.

Anyway, it's your anger to burn - but unless he did something to you personally, it really does seem like a lot of effort carrying all that beef around for what seem to be very vague reasons.

Wow, you really care about him don’t you. So sweet 

5 hours ago, Offshore 1 said:

Wow, you really care about him don’t you. So sweet 

You know me - always trying to be a good mentor.

no way are the DeVos's more respectable than LE 

you got your Amway scam, Blackwater just for openers 

• Like 1

I'm just watching SGP on Eurosport ("Spirit of Yachting"), and the common tree is the same as the hyperbole in the other tread. I can't stop laughing, it's so weird. :wacko:
The crashes/sudden dives/capsizes are fun to watch tho in a NASCARish way, since we now know that nobody got seriously hurt.

All right, I know that being generally in favor of SailGP is a controversial stance, so I'll say at the outset that I am a fan of theirs and think that the product is generally good and in some specific areas it is great. My kids and I have had a great time this year watching the races on streaming. They each picked their favorite team and were emotionally connected to how those teams did. 

Beyond the sailing product, their marketing support is being set up up the way I like to see marketing platforms do. As a buyer of media in my professional life, I know that there are a lot of misleading claims out there and I am sure they have buried a few in here that I don't have time to suss out, but performance data transparency is key. Authentication by Deloitte and YouGov are key as well (Meltwater doesn't carry the same weight in my experience). As a baseline offering for marketers, IMO this is a very strong way to start. I could, if I were looking to market to this audience, evaluate a price given to me by a sales person and have some confidence that I'd be getting what I paid for.

The next bar will be to show next year's performance on the same measures and the trend lines on each. Don't cherry-pick the measures that make you look good, don't swap these measures for others, don't change out your authenticators. If anything, become even more transparent. 

https://sailgp.com/news/season-one-in-review/

SailGPnumbersFB.png.jpeg

15 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

As a baseline offering for marketers, IMO this is a very strong way to start. I could, if I were looking to market to this audience, evaluate a price given to me by a sales person and have some confidence that I'd be getting what I paid for.

The next bar will be to show next year's performance on the same measures and the trend lines on each. Don't cherry-pick the measures that make you look good, don't swap these measures for others, don't change out your authenticators. If anything, become even more transparent. 

Smart summary, though I put less faith in Deloitte than you and Yougov is all over the shop.

Thanks 2Newts - that's what I've been saying as well in the SailGP thread. When you actually understand the metrics underlying these numbers you know that they are not "wildly inaccurate" or "hyperbolic" like some want to portray them. Are there areas where you need to excercise some discernment (e.g. - the Global Audience)? Sure. But lack of discernment is just laziness. One shouldn't blame the numbers for that laziness...or the negative spin that comes out of it.

As you say, these need to remain the benchmarks moving forward to measure the trends and correlating value of those trends. We'll see if that happens.

25 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

All right, I know that being generally in favor of SailGP is a controversial stance, so I'll say at the outset that I am a fan of theirs and think that the product is generally good and in some specific areas it is great. My kids and I have had a great time this year watching the races on streaming. They each picked their favorite team and were emotionally connected to how those teams did. 

Beyond the sailing product, their marketing support is being set up up the way I like to see marketing platforms do. As a buyer of media in my professional life, I know that there are a lot of misleading claims out there and I am sure they have buried a few in here that I don't have time to suss out, but performance data transparency is key. Authentication by Deloitte and YouGov are key as well (Meltwater doesn't carry the same weight in my experience). As a baseline offering for marketers, IMO this is a very strong way to start. I could, if I were looking to market to this audience, evaluate a price given to me by a sales person and have some confidence that I'd be getting what I paid for.

https://sailgp.com/news/season-one-in-review/

SailGPnumbersFB.png.jpeg

Being a fan of SGP is 100% fine. Suggesting that paid-for-YouTube views is some measure of demand as a way of trying to troll at other sporting events like AC is 100% wrong - that's really been the only beef with the troll.

SGP could provide totally great ROI to sponsors - it would depend on sponsor objectives, what they currently pay to achieve them, and what SGP would charge comparative to other sports sponsorship offerings. Without knowing what SGP charge, nor actual audited metrics it's impossible to say - but in my experience new sponsorship deals are pretty aggressive, and whilst potentially a bit more risky can provide good ROI whilst they grow. SGP is investing heavily in generating reach, (again this is not demand) so it should make an attractive proposition.

Given your experience you'd know more than most that no media buyer worth their salt would be relying on the pop chartjunk above to make any assessment on that. That some trolls think it does provide a real measure of value to sponsors and their media buying just demonstrates their continued cluelessness and gullibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

no media buyer worth their salt would be relying on the pop chartjunk above to make any assessment

True, and I was careful not to say so. If you look in the article they say that more detailed reports are yet to come and I would be astounded if the material they provide to the public is the same material they provide to a serious marketer. If they are providing the same, well, then my entire argument is out the window. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

those looking for a "first class lifestyle affair" I swear that's an RC quote.

Pretty sure "First Class" ain't really great for marketing these days.  I don't even think LVMH uses it anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Then there's "affair" just sayin'...

I was just thinking that random bit...RC is lonely in americur?

17 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

Is it possible to put this whole thread in  -

Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boats

?

That's good

17 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

?

18 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

?

Since this convo is more circus than substance...

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Flawed assumption: Any AC ever has cared about 'today's generation. They're happy when they get the local yacht club kids out to see the boats and a couple of kids of color near some techy bits.  Good newsy and sponsory shots and a puffy PR piece.  

That's not what Grant said in your interview - nor was it the case by any means with AC34 or AC35. All well-documented. So my assumption is not flawed.

Flawed assumption: There is any "is" there.  Firstly, I don't remember where 'they' thought they would be in November 2019.  Refresh my recollection please.  Secondly, if I had a dollar for every organizer who expected great things and puffed up his product, I'd have a really nice cruising boat.

Check your own interview as well as plenty of other press and interviews that have followed on since (many of which I've posted already around here). All well-documented. So my assumption is not flawed.

Flawed assumptions: I was a journalist; the word 'journalist' means what you ascribe to it.  I don't know that I need to further explain this point.  That's called a podcast.  I was called a commentator, and occasionally a reporter. Never, ever a journalist.

That's why I used the quotes. You've always kind of played both sides of that fence. Is SA a publication, a blog, a forum, all of it? And how/where has your own writing/media fit into that? And what are your "access" expectations in that regard? What's the trade?

Depending which side you want to be on, refusal of formal accreditation shouldn't come as a surprise, nor is something you should complain about when it happens if there is no clear answer to the above questions. So, in this case, I don't assume anything. I don't know. I just heard you calling OTUSA out as somehow being "unfair" in the podcast...and have seen the same sentiment recently regarding SailGP's similar policy. That's my point.

SD, WTF don't  paste crap copied from the fanboy thread in here. You have TWO of your  starry eyed presser and social media regurgitation threads, leave this one alone.

Or, if you need traffic over there, I quote your classic, "Buy an ad. HEH."

That particular item belongs here because it's more about AC than SailGP.  So relax. I have no interest in hanging around the tent - unless compellingly summoned of course.

From @Brittaniawaivestherules over in the Ineos thread, with link to Ehman video

They DID tell the teams to get $$$ fast. BA, such an overachiever.  And Ratliffe can find the $5-$7m easily to outsource a training boat and maybe pick up more crew. He has to be paying better and more steadily than SGP.

Since the w F50 is presumably a "class" with it's own ws special event regattas, it could fit the exception wrt surrogate yachts?

Or via Protocol Sec. 8, are they gonna race F50s in the ACWS? Ben will have one. Taylor can borrow one...

Well, all one big happy family now, right?

"People plan, billionaires laugh."

If Ineos and the GB SGP team are indeed partnering up and swapping people around on the various boats then good thing this thread is in the right forum. At least for another year. ;)

Oh this is so petty of me. At 1:53 or so he tells them they have redefined sailing and changed sailing forever.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, barfy said:

You kiwi jackoffs just can't resist posting in this thread and that is the only reason this thread is still alive. Go shit in your own thread for once.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, .............. said:

?

57 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well let's see if/what the current AC team Ineos does with F50s.  

Distraction. BA sees something shiny, has very deep pockets atm, and wants something cool to drive if the AC turns pear shaped on him. 

Gotta keep his eyes on the prize.

• Like 1

Remember when SGP was "headquartered in London and San Francisco"?  Well, it was. 

Now it is "London and New York" and there are a couple of jobs for operations managers based in NY and working globally.  If you are looking, Google SailGP jobs or look on Glassdoor. Hey, it's a living for now. Applications close 12/8.

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Remember when SGP was "headquartered in London and San Francisco"?  Well, it was. 

Now it is "London and New York" and there are a couple of jobs for operations managers based in NY and working globally.  If you are looking, Google SailGP jobs or look on Glassdoor. Hey, it's a living for now. Applications close 12/8.

If the series runs true to LE's form, the first budget cuts have already begun.

7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You don't know how successful SailGP will be!

You are 100% right about that.  All I have to speculate on is track record.

Apparently SGP still has a ways to go before the sailors prefer it to the AC or Olympics. Well, plenty of time left in that 5 year financial underwriting!

PS and didn't Marie R say she wanted to do the next Ocean Race?

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

plenty of time left in that 5 year financial underwriting!

5 years?

Thought it was 3, shortened to 2.

14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

If only they were asking for burned out old ironworkers & stick welders/finish hands, would make retirement so much sweeter!

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Lol.

it's 3, but "you'd better have your own sponsors next year before the spigot gets shut off"

I'm sure sponsors will rush to sign multiyear contracts, given the founders are scaling back due to unquestionable popularity of the league. No need for longer LE subsidy. #winning

58 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I'm sure sponsors will rush to sign multiyear contracts, given the founders are scaling back due to unquestionable popularity of the league. No need for longer LE subsidy. #winning

(Parody font)

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^yes :)

The US team has a new video tomorrow. Presumably not a parody

A friend of me says he talked to Tom Hehman who heard that USA FailGP Team will announce their new Team owner and sponsor. Big surprise that it is Larry, and that Rome is in in charge.   

• Like 1

Australia couldn't find sponsorship for an AC team. Lets behonest, Foiling Multi hulls aren't exactly Australia's specialty. Their's is more 100ft Supermaxis, usually because the backers get a chance to sail the boats themselves...not the case with the F50's. Begs the question...will Australia continue post Larry Ellison? 

I do think being able to sail in the boat matters to most rich owners. Even Larry was saying in 2012 he was going to be on his AC72 at 69.  

GC32s, TP52s, RC44s...all feasible. AC50 no. F50 even less likely. The AC75 wisely allows guest racers. 

35 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I do think being able to sail in the boat matters to most rich owners. Even Larry was saying in 2012 he was going to be on his AC72 at 69.  

GC32s, TP52s, RC44s...all feasible. AC50 no. F50 even less likely. The AC75 wisely allows guest racers. 

And so we cross over to the Ocean Race where the likelihood of finding 8-10 rich people willing to fund a blast around the bottom of the world without commercially viable stopovers is pretty thin - apologies for the thread drift but as an example we have an owner here (China) who funded his team to a Sydney Hobart 3rd in IRC & 1st in ORCi but since the race has had little opportunity to sail the boat so it got sold. He still has his other one though which he has time to sail on (play with).

I used to think 'lucky buggers'  when watching the AC Class in Valencia with the owner (or guest) sitting down the back so close to the action.  Not unreasonable for individuals to get at least SOME bang for their buck.

Completely agree with NeedAClew that the chance of a non-pro sailing an F50 in an actually race is pretty slim

Just sayin'

SS

Wrong way of looking at things. You guys can't seem to get your heads around the fact that SailGP is antithetical to the age-old "rich beneficiary" model of top-tier racing. Yes, I see the veins already popping in your LE-hating heads because SailGP has been initially funded by a "rich beneficiary". So, in your warped view, when LE begins a planned ramping down of his own personal financial outlay for SailGP, many of you cry that it's a sign of some kind of failure. That he's "abandoning" the effort. And it would be... in the old model you're hopelessly stuck in.

But, again, SailGP is NOT that model. It's the very antithesis of it. So it makes perfect sense that LE is ramping down his outlay - in order to put pressure on the participants to either pick it up and be a self-sustaining business or shutter-up and go home. That's how BUSINESS works! Additionally, it's clear that LE doesn't "need to be on the boat". That's not the point - and if you think it is, you're still stuck in yesteryear - up to your neck.

Here's the deal (that has been made very clear from day 1, but which you guys just can't seem to understand): SailGP is a pro-sports league. Period. Do the Glazers insist on being midfield for ManU? Do the Krafts insist on playing defensive line for the Patriots? Does Penske insist on driving? Why do these people own these teams and work with various sponsors, enjoy merchandising deals, etc. - if they can't "be on the boat". Simple, it's good business...very good.

BUT, the very cool twist with SailGP is the national team aspect here. That too reduces even further the outmoded singular "rich beneficiary" element of yesteryear's top-tier racing model and presents all kinds of ways from individuals to corporations to nations to partner on these professional teams.

Old, fat billionaires have no place in an F1 car - or on a pro-football field - or on an F50. If that's what really they want, they should just campaign their TP52s in the Med where they'll move MUCH more slowly and maybe be able to actually sit on the rail and flip off the camera without falling off.

No, what we're talking about with SailGP is racing the fastest sailboats in history. Just like these other top-tier professional league sports, that takes very talented, fit young athletes who HAVE to be at the very top of their game. Chinese Sydney-Hobart campaigners need not apply.

THAT is the game. And it is business.

It amazes me the lack of vision around here (though, yet, it IS the AC forum). Think, people. Think.

Think you missed the original point that one of the  things that has historically induced sponsors is the ability to be, or illusion of physically being, part of the action. Thus, per your view, SAILING SPONSORS will need REDEFINING, too. Per your stated view, into shrewd business investors with an ROI in mind.  Or owners of other types of sports leagues. Robert Kraft, maybe? 

We shall see who gets redefined $pon$oring  and who does not. It is an empirical matter, after all. Time will tell all. 

PS Lumping Larry in with old fat billionaires will not help your media job application. LE is many things but fat he is not. (But really he should get that thing off his face.)

13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Australia couldn't find sponsorship for an AC team. Lets behonest, Foiling Multi hulls aren't exactly Australia's specialty. Their's is more 100ft Supermaxis, usually because the backers get a chance to sail the boats themselves...not the case with the F50's. Begs the question...will Australia continue post Larry Ellison? 

Please list the 100 foot supermaxis that are sustainably run on sponsor dollars.  Aaaand.....go.

12 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Wrong way of looking at things.

It is so nice to have a qualified expert here to show everyone the right way to look at things.  

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

PS Lumping Larry in with old fat billionaires will not help your media job application. LE is many things but fat he is not. (But really he should get that thing off his face.)

TRT and HGH are not just palindromes

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It is so nice to have a qualified expert here to show everyone the right way to look at things.  

Happy to help. You've actually been one of the more vociferous voices for the "rich beneficiary" model/mentality of sailing in your writing and commentating. So I understand why it's hard to grasp this "new" way of doing things...and also why you resist it.

10 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Happy to help. You've actually been one of the more vociferous voices for the "rich beneficiary" model/mentality of sailing in your writing and commentating. 

Cite please

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Cite please

Your interview with Grant that you posted recently is just one...of many. I've already talked about this.

Beyond that it's been an underlying premise of your content for a long, long time. Again, that's your perspective and I don't fault you or TE, or RC, etc. for having a perspective. But it's just completely out of sync with where things are now headed.

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Your interview with Grant that you posted recently is just one...of many.

grant's not a rich guy.  in fact he's one of very few non frenchies whose been able to run a sustainable, sponsor-driven team for decades.  Something Larry has never been able to do even one time.

Got another cite?  

'cause I've been anti-millionaire model and pro-sustainable sponsorship since before you got kicked off of some other sailing site for being a spammer

13 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

BUT, the very cool twist with SailGP is the national team aspect here.

A1 GP  had a similar aspect, plus one design, rich backer initially... 

58 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

grant's not a rich guy.  in fact he's one of very few non frenchies whose been able to run a sustainable, sponsor-driven team for decades.  Something Larry has never been able to do even one time.

Got another cite?  

'cause I've been anti-millionaire model and pro-sustainable sponsorship since before you got kicked off of some other sailing site for being a spammer

I'm not talking about Grant himself - I'm talking about what you and Grant discussed...the machinations behind what gets him paid, and you chasing people like him for interviews because of that position. You're not "anti-millionaire" by any means, despite the claims. You're just a selective critic that wants to be part of that "fraternity" you guys discussed. Again, I don't care what position you choose to espouse - but don't be hypocritical about it. That's all I'm saying. Well that and the fact that "the fraternity" is dying.

As for me being a "spammer" (cite?). I don't spam. I talk about stuff I'm interested in and back up what I say with evidence. Always have. It's just that in itself rubs some people the wrong way - especially if I don't agree with them, or am calling them out on something. But many others appreciate it - the numbers show that. It's the way of life.

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

But many others appreciate it - the numbers show that. 

cite please

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

cite please

You can easily find them yourself. For a start, just look at my SailGP threads in the lightly trafficked MHA forum. When was the last time you had a thread drive 15K views on SA - much less in just a couple of months? People seem to be interested in the stuff I put up. It's really that simple. I'm glad they like it.

Still waiting for your "cite" of me being a "spammer".

Sorry to interrupt but NZ based spies get ready! Boat 7 is finished and testing will start December 3rd. Boat is already at Northport and will be tested in Whangarei. Then handed over toTeam 7.

Check it out! Plain livery or telltale colors? Who is skulking about Northport?

Boat 7 will have new lighter modular wing.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1911/S00295/sailgp-set-to-return-to-new-zealand.htm

17 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

When was the last time you had a thread drive 15K views on SA -

dunno, i don't look at thread counts 'cause i don't work here. clicking on the admin controls I do see that 13,392 of those clicks are from your IP address

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

dunno, i don't look at thread counts 'cause i don't work here. clicking on the admin controls I do see that 13,392 of those clicks are from your IP address

Sure Clean.