Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I actually don't know why that was a grenade. But it's in the eye of the beholder, isn't it. Whatever its pronoun.

When the whole world is out to get you, everything is a weapon.  

I won't ask him to hold my beer then, lol. Hope you can get the disappeared threads back. 

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Can any of you give me the name of the poster who got the ban?  the modern iteration of A4E?

@dg_sailingfan

no he was posting today, and said he was leaving himself.  

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

no he was posting today, and said he was leaving himself.  

I think that's the point, haven't seen it but it seems he outed Fourourselves with facebook details and made comments about his wife and kid/s, as I say haven't seen it, so could be slightly off target, but that's the gist of it.

Seems the ETNZ (which is where this happened) has been taken out, but not the offender. 

If you could please help get the thread back, but loose the looser (we've seen him leave before, but likes piles he keeps coming back and is a pain in the ass), I for one would be a happy bunny.

I don't think any of us have a problem with people stating their views, that's what forums are about.

I do have a problem with people just being asshats for the sake of it.

For the record, I never saw the post where he outed my FB recently, as I had him on ignore. I was told by another poster that it had happened, and the thread was gone by the time I went to look. It was the second time it had happened. the first time was Team_GBR where he outed my FB and made comments about my Wife after he made a bet with me that he lost. 

• Like 1

^ not that I like any of this shit @Forourselves, but you never cuss, something I'm guilty of, you never play the man mostly the ball. Anyway seems clean is on it, nice to have an adult in the room.

31 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Is that the new one?

yes, boat 7 with new wing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

he's a really good kid.  

Agreed.  He's a really good kid.

Now, how about telling us please about efforts to unscramble the forum threads clusterfuck here!

I value SA for stuff like Weta27's excellent and persistent vid coverage of ETNZ.  Will we see it again soon?

48 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Clean told us he left SA

stopped working for SA but still hanging about when i need to procrastinate

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Agreed.  He's a really good kid.

Now, how about telling us please about efforts to unscramble the forum threads clusterfuck here!

I value SA for stuff like Weta27's excellent and persistent vid coverage of ETNZ.  Will we see it again soon?

not my fuckup!  

• Like 1

"AND THEN THERE WERE SEVEN.

The seventh F50 is ready to hit the water for testing in New Zealand. Any guesses which team will be racing it next season?"

78046511_1015236712167037_8230017934618001408_o.thumb.jpg.173444993e83721015ff5191e241f7a0.jpg

26 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

stopped working for SA but still hanging about when i need to procrastinate

and push your agenda.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:22 AM, NeedAClew said:

Still wondering what the answer is.

Also wondering why every time people questioned or critiqued or (gasp!) criticized SGP management  and business announcements they got labeled as haters or tied to the past or bitter AC fans and whingers, when here DG is smugly writing off the two developing Asian teams ?  

As I said, I am more optimistic for them and by extension SGP development pipeline than one of their prominent fanboys. Weird.

If SGP is going to live long and prosper, people who never helmed AC50s are going to have to excel at helming F50s.  Similarly for trimmers and controllers.  Otherwise, the series is over when the originals age out or move on. 

I expect new people will develop coming from other classes. Look at the French team. 

Why so negative?!?

I agree NeedAClew. Do people in more 'developed sailing nations' ultimately feel threatened by the up and coming countries? I don't know.

Japan is hardly a beginner when it comes to sailing as a sport. They have had a team (Sled) that takes part in the TP52 Super Series, are a former AC entry and some of their 470 sailors are pretty useful and if you want to win an Olympic Gold in the 470 class the opinion seems to be you need North Sails (Japan) sails to stand a chance.  

China is much further down the sailing development curve but they deserve to be encouraged, not written off.

To put it in perspective, next year the oldest yacht club in the world celebrates it's 300th anniversary (Royal Cork) while a tenth of that (30 years) ago China had NO sailing clubs. They have in recent years had a Chinese backed team that has won the Volvo Ocean Race and a Chinese yacht achieved a 1st overall in ORCi in the Sydney Hobart.

They are developing and not afraid to use foreign coaches. For example the49er team has an Olympic Gold medalist in the class as their coach. More power to them. How else could they be expected to develop or grow?

In the 19 years I have been in China I have seen the grass roots of our sport grow in both quantity and quality, no need for a "Saving Sailing" attitude here, that's for sure. Everybody was a beginner once at whatever they do or wherever they are on the curve and efforts deserve to be encouraged.

SailGP claim on most (if not all but haven't checked) team sub-sites that SailGP is "The future of (insert country) sailing". There they are quite wrong there, foiling, wing-sails (multi-element all the way through to soft or otherwise) is not the future of sailing. That doesn't make it not fun to watch, on line or live

Canting keels and stadium racing (developed by Mark Turner and OC Sport a decade before Russell Coutts and SailGP) were also hailed as the way ahead yet still have yet to become the "future".

SailGP is cool, make no mistake but the winner take all final race with an empty racecourse (in my view) doesn't give the grand finale they think it does - 2 boats racing compared to 6 in the other 5 races stadium type racing may be a format sailors are familiar with but to the non-sailor perhaps not so much. But nothing is perfect. 

To pick up on your point, the youth, the less experienced, even the adult beginner is the future of our sport. To use an expression relevant to China "Bamboo grows from the ground up, not the sky down. The wider the base of a pyramid the taller the pinnacle and if the base is not maintained (attracting newcomers) then the pinnacle is less likely to be maintained.

I am not saying that SailGP is not exciting, nor am I saying it is not good for our sport and I just wonder how the likes of DG and others 'get off' on criticizing the efforts of others trying to promote our sport.

Of course they (Russell & Larry) are not being altruistic, but what's in it for them really should be of no concern to others unless sailing is suffering because of their self interest but that doesn't seem to be the case and there is certainly no one else with anything similar although you never know what is round the corner.

Isn't it peculiar however that often those that do least complain the most?

SS

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

not my fuckup!  

Never said it was, mate!  Just figured you of all people would have some idea of the way out of this mess.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:54 AM, Forourselves said:

For the record, I never saw the post where he outed my FB recently, as I had him on ignore. I was told by another poster that it had happened, and the thread was gone by the time I went to look. It was the second time it had happened. the first time was Team_GBR where he outed my FB and made comments about my Wife after he made a bet with me that he lost. 

It doesn't matter what someone thinks of you Forourselves, rules are rules and if we have an opinion about someone or want to have a pop at someone it should be done here.

He should, in the parlance of our sport, be 69'ed. And I don't know(or care really) who we are talking about but we all know the rules of the forum. 

Just my tuppence worth.

SS

On 12/3/2019 at 7:32 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Not sure, if someone has been spamming threads they can be removed as a spam-bot, which automatically deletes all evidence of their existence, including threads they started. It's rare that a non-bot gets that treatment though unless there is a legal issue.  I have no idea what happened but there are not a lot of admins here.

To clear the matter up - the Editor has held his hands up and claimed responsibility -hit the wrong button or some other such computer error.

Said as much on Ocean Anarchy - give the guy his due, he admits he fucked up.

So who is going to throw the first stone? Anyone here NOT live is a glass house?

SS

10 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

and push your agenda.

The two major things I'm working on now are (1) assisting large scale hemp production businesses to integrate institutional investors into their fundraising using using the Qualified Opportunity Zone program and (2) helping banks and credit unions to comply with state and federal law in the banking of marijuana-related businesses.

Which of these agendas am i pushing?

Edibles supplier for SGP events?  LOL :)

Happy to taste test.

16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Edibles supplier for SGP events?  LOL :)

Happy to taste test.

Sell the sponsorship and I'm sure there's 15% in it for ya.  In kind?

• Like 2

Not a lot new here except Mason and Hunter "may" still be involved in the Ineos GB team and RC says all the teams came in "under budget" presumably that was the $5m plus $2m for shared tech. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesayles/2019/12/03/olympic-legend-sir-ben-ainslie-joins-team-gbr-for-sailgp-second-series-as-he-targets-americas-cup-glory/

The new F50 may be sailing got link in my feed but there is a NZ paywall. Maybe some of you are subscribers. Anybody seen likely "new team" people up there?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/premium/news/article.cfm?c_id=1504669&objectid=12290868

Moth Worlds getting going http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/12/04/this-insect-keeps-hatching-eggs/

Several SGP sailors including SGP Team Australia's Slinsgby, Langford, and Fowler and SGP Team USA's Johnson (he is Australian, so much for the SGP nationality rule in a pinch) and Kirby are competing.  Johnson won the WA Moth State Championship and is favored to do well.

No mention of it on SGP social media, cuz they ain't family no more, but Fletcher and Bithell placed 3rd in 49er Worlds. All best to them!

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2019/12/08/49er-49erfx-and-nacra17-worlds-gold-for-nzl-ned-ita-in-auckland/

https://www.sail-world.com/news/224834/Bronze-for-Fletcher-and-Bithell-at-49er-Worlds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

No mention of it on SGP social media, cuz they ain't family no more, but Fletcher and Bithell placed 3rd in 49er Worlds. All best to them!

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2019/12/08/49er-49erfx-and-nacra17-worlds-gold-for-nzl-ned-ita-in-auckland/

https://www.sail-world.com/news/224834/Bronze-for-Fletcher-and-Bithell-at-49er-Worlds

Not to mention this guy over in the Nacra fleet.

Annotation 2019-12-09 062221.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Not to mention this guy over in the Nacra fleet.

And don't forget Bill Besson and Marie Riou in 15th. only, as they used to do much better. Maybe too much distracted by SailGP, or in Marie's case still with the Volvo in her legs. Which brings me onto my other Volvo favourite (apart from Marie Riou, and many others :P), Martine Grael with a 2nd, missing 1st place in a spectacular fashion :

191208_SELV_worlds_8608-768x568.jpg.a78a433aa4ac6662b2b09e284e77e4a8.jpg

BTW, interesting comments in Catsailingnews:

Note the nose down trim of both Nacra 17s, already seen in some videos from Bissaro. Its a la AC50 nose down = more speed. Only drawback for these smaller platforms (vs an AC50) is how waves or chops can put a hard brake to your speed, which might define a race , a title or even a Gold Medal in Tokyo.

As demonstrated nicely in the medal race:

And isn't that a proper race, and NOT a circus act !

https://www.catsailingnews.com/2019/12/nacra-17-worlds-2019-gold-race-2-battle-highlights-waterhouse-darmamin-vs-besson-riou.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, accnick said:

Speaking of the Nacra, don't forget Jason Waterhouse of Australia SailGP. Pretty good performance by him, too!

Yes indeed, a bronze medal for him. Sorry to have missed that, I don't really follow all the SailGP much because the live is geoblocked here, and can't stand the pro wrestling style reporting. I will watch it if they make it an all woman event, like this, with Martine fly by live. Oh, always had a bit of a hard spot for NED girls too, though all these girls are pretty awesome really.

Saw a Facebook video of the new boat out on the water in good form. 

The post was "F-50 sending and testing". 

I do not know how to get Facebook content easy to access here.

22 minutes ago, P Flados said:

Saw a Facebook video of the new boat out on the water in good form. 

The post was "F-50 sending and testing". 

I do not know how to get Facebook content easy to access here.

It’s ok. Most of us are used to being unable to watch them sail. 

• Like 1

Weird my phone has new UI and wants to hide posts. Perhaps an omen to post more that sparks joy.

Anyway they are apparently having a press conference tomorrow morning. Guess they are announcing Denmark, but if anyone watches it, wonder if they will announce other personnel changes or new team sponsors?