Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

It's not a sport, it's a business. 

RC keeps calling it a "racing product," so he seemingly agrees. 

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

He might think he can eventually list it in a capital market and cash in big time? I wouldn't put it past him.

Or it becomes the WeWork of sailing? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

RC keeps calling it a "racing product," so he seemingly agrees. 

Thought so, RC and I always got along well.

19 hours ago, tbm said:

There will be s complete new commentary team as well for season 2 

loads of changes 

That's always a sign things are going well.  Or it's a sign that Larry's gonna Larry with the budget.

17 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

So they've dumped Jody? Well that is a plus. Knew his shit about sailing, but the bogan accent really grated. I wonder if Shirley still has a gig?

Shirley is the bogan and a fuckstick as well.  Jody was great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Probably why I can't find any betting odds for Sailgp. You need a level of transparency for the betting companies to issue odds. The way they manipulate training times for the crews is just one example of how contrived this whole thing is. Shifting around skippers is another.

There's betting for the sydney hobart but not for the world's most amazing sailing series?  Travesty, I tells ya.  

10 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

With regards to himself, he is utterly ruthless without any morals or scruples whatsoever. 

There's never been any mystery as to why he gets along so well with Larry and before him, Ernesto.

42 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

There's never been any mystery as to why he gets along so well with Larry and before him, Ernesto.

But the real genius is his ability to groom them into megafunding him. EB was younger and caught on reasonably early.

Came up in my news feed. Put it in Alinghi thread too just in case they ever start again. Who knows...

It is an updated puffy interview article with EB talking about AC. Writer is a bit off thinking the dog match was 2012 but hopefully the quotes are right.  He likes racing on his own boat. Thinks that owners could perhaps have a role on future AC boats.

Asked EB about SGP. 

He said SGP was "interesting" BUT "The problem I see is it's  not really a competitive series. With one owner owning all the boats it doesn't quite do it for me. It's  a great opportunity for some sailors to sail these types of boats, but I don't know where it is going to go really."

https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/ernesto-bertarelli-alinghi-americas-cup-124341

49 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

But the real genius is his ability to groom them into megafunding him. EB was younger and caught on reasonably early.

Larry is just the latest cliché in the line of unathletic, ultra-rich guys using their money and power to buy sporting success as adults.  That's how Russell got his hooks into both those guys.

Like Elon and Bezos, Larry is on more juice than a pro bodybuilder.  

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Thinks that owners could perhaps have a role on future AC boats.

It wouldn't bother me if we never saw this prick (EB) in the cup ever again. Looks to be waiting in the wings like a vulture, to see where he could swoop in to pick up a team and assets in an effort to take some big short-cuts - like he did the first time. Fuck off Ernesto!

On 12/19/2019 at 7:06 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

On 12/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, NeedAClew said:

Indeed, "EB was younger and caught on reasonably early", but it still cost him several millions to stop him from going to Oracle, and not to forget, to buy his silence.

Which begs the question again, what was the real dispute between Ernesto and Russell???  It was certainly not just that Russell wanted to take over the AC World Series Circus, there must have been a more juicy reason for it!

Clean, you must know more, or are you afraid to get sued? Come on, someone must know more about this, speak up!

From my news feed, SailGP, Slingsby and more Australian sailing news

https://www.sail-world.com/news/225191/More-than-50pc

Slingsby says no changes in Aussie team, hard for him to plan his 2020 because entire SGP schedule and locations still not set, just have to wait patiently till their boat is splashed in Sydney.

Article speculates on Danish venue in 2020 or 2021, rewards to Spain for joining, speculation on Phil sailing with SGP Spain.

I am going to have only intermittent wifi for a few weeks after Christmas so will try to keep up. Even the squabbles will be welcomed. Happy holidays!

On 12/21/2019 at 5:10 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

Indeed, "EB was younger and caught on reasonably early", but it still cost him several millions to stop him from going to Oracle, and not to forget, to buy his silence.

Which begs the question again, what was the real dispute between Ernesto and Russell???  It was certainly not just that Russell wanted to take over the AC World Series Circus, there must have been a more juicy reason for it!

Clean, you must know more, or are you afraid to get sued? Come on, someone must know more about this, speak up!

Believe me I have tried maybe harder than any other reporter ever to get that info.

But never could find anything that could be called reliable evidence that the rumors were true. 

• Like 1

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

Believe me I have tried!

But never could find anything that could be called reliable evidence that the rumors were true. 

Tell us what the rumors were and we can "look for evidence." 

Oh, rats, you're a lawyer aren't you and won't fall for that.... ;)

9 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Tell us what the rumors were and we can "look for evidence." 

Oh, rats, you're a lawyer aren't you and won't fall for that.... ;)

Na I can accurately describe the rumors, with the caveat that there is zero evidence that they are true and therefore no one should believe them. For those who weren't around 15 years ago, Ernesto fired Russell amidst some really strong acrimony and then caused the AC to pass the Coutts rule, preventing RC from working for another team.  I don't remember whether Ernesto settled or lost in court, but Coutts won millions from Bertarelli on the labor dispute while already working to beat Bertarelli's ass and take the cup.  The rumor that Coutts was caught with his hand in the supermodel cookie jar created a plausible explanation for the sheer nastiness which accompanies the Coutts/Bertarelli war as well as the Ellison/Bertarelli War, however no one ever uncovered anything beyond internet jabbering to support such an explanation.  When you meet him in person Coutts seems kind of asexual, in a geeky engineer sort of way, so I just never put stock in the rumor.

However as our orange President has showed the world, a lack of solid evidence definitely does not mean that a misdeed didn't occur...

• Like 1

Hmmm...seems to have had a certain something once upon a time at least on camera as opposed to real life. 

37912-nzom_1.jpg

08117762.jpg

08117763.jpg

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Hmmm...seems to have had a certain something once upon a time at least on camera as opposed to real life. 

37912-nzom_1.jpg

you sound thirsty

22 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

... When you meet him in person Coutts seems kind of asexual, in a geeky engineer sort of way, so I just never put stock in the rumor.

Clean darling, you are not the target group. ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you sound thirsty

Just trying to be accurate. He was quite charismatic looking. But maybe it's like the  silent film stars that couldn't transition to the talkies.

gettyimages-1622481-1024x1024.jpg

9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Na I can accurately describe the rumors, with the caveat that there is zero evidence that they are true and therefore no one should believe them. For those who weren't around 15 years ago, Ernesto fired Russell amidst some really strong acrimony and then caused the AC to pass the Coutts rule, preventing RC from working for another team.  I don't remember whether Ernesto settled or lost in court, but Coutts won millions from Bertarelli on the labor dispute while already working to beat Bertarelli's ass and take the cup.  The rumor that Coutts was caught with his hand in the supermodel cookie jar created a plausible explanation for the sheer nastiness which accompanies the Coutts/Bertarelli war as well as the Ellison/Bertarelli War, however no one ever uncovered anything beyond internet jabbering to support such an explanation.  When you meet him in person Coutts seems kind of asexual, in a geeky engineer sort of way, so I just never put stock in the rumor.

However as our orange President has showed the world, a lack of solid evidence definitely does not mean that a misdeed didn't occur...

Isn't there a pee tape floating around in cyberspace somewhere??

While you look, news feed produced this 

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/?p=11045

Kind of nothing, key hires are in the all important media, pr, content areas.

What is noticable is how they describe the product and media push 

1. "Doesn't require a longstanding relationship in order to feel passionate about it" and

2."the campaign will operate on an emotional level to appeal to a diverse and international audience in what could be their introduction to this adrenaline filled global racing championship."

Ok, (1) quick hook.  Wonder if the quick relationship will be a quickie or mature to a long affection?  (2) all thrills, chills, danger, crashes, feuds, fan favorites, fake rivalries.

Well at least they have the decency to call it a "global racing championship" and have stopped calling it sailing.

Edited by NeedAClew
Clickable linky
  • Like 2

Oh, FFS

This pops up, elaboration of the hires and ad campaign

https://www.sportindustry.biz/news/sailgp-announces-senior-hires-alongside-new-marketing-campaign

The ad campaign is "It's not what you think." They mean it's NOT "sailing...a traditional sport to which they [audience] don't  feel an attachment, leading to preconceived notions." So they redefined, create compelling content, etc. 

Urm. Well, it's a "racing product" whose job is to "create compelling content."  

Ok.  But I think it disses the actual sport of sailing just a teensy bit. But then, it's  a business, right. Gotta do what you gotta do to get that audience and money. 

The people like Slingsby et al who are probably called team members or something like "cast" instead of "sailors" might find it odd when they switch gigs back and forth between SGP and actual sailing communities. But then, that's why it's called "work."

But I wish they SGP biz geniuses had found a way to promote without seeming disrespectful.

"SAIL GP: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK" can cut both ways....!

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

"SAIL GP: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK" can cut both ways....!

The meme potential is incredible

• Like 1

They're still pushing this "Nation vs nation" thing while at the same time they have an Australian team who were a US Americas Cup team who were beaten defending defending the trophy out the US, a US team, a French Team, who lets face it, will struggle to find sponsors post Larry Ellison, a Japanese Team skippered and crewed  by a pair of Australian 49er Gold medalists, a Spanish team led by a Kiwi, who was the skipper of the Chinese team who's backers decided it wasn't for them, a Danish Team that no one knows anything about and GBR who have been taken over by a Current AC team on a 12 month contract, all backed by a Billionaire American and a Kiwi who has fallen out with every team he's ever been a part of.

Yeah...its not what you think. Its also not what they say, so go figure.

• Like 1

Surprised this has not been heralded as more evidence of SGP genius. Sarcasm font.

Article underestimates the LE spend on AC imho it would be closer to $1B counting LiveLine, lawyers and such. But no mind. 

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/01/02/sailgp-spending-money-to-make-money/

More detail on how SGP is not biring old sailing, or sailing at all, rather an emotion driven fan experience that will unite communities, be a fast moving sporting product, etc. Aperntly they did not get quotes on the expected profitability of teams so far. ;)

I do understand this is a business but do not like the disrespectful attitude toward sailing, the activity and sport that got them all where they are today. 

Ah well. 

• Like 1

Hope for all the fanboy biz buzz analysts that SGP has better financial return than LE's investments in Theranos. Of course, he may have been very happy with that ending, dunno. He did link her up with his mad dog attorney David Boies (who later repped H Weinstein, J Epstein) to squelch naysayers.

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Hope for all the fanboy biz buzz analysts that SGP has better financial return than LE's investments in Theranos. Of course, he may have been very happy with that ending, dunno. He did link her up with his mad dog attorney David Boies (who later repped H Weinstein, J Epstein) to squelch naysayers.

How any $$ did LE waste on the blood testing machine flop? Better to spend money on the SailGP than investment in Theanos!

22 minutes ago, Chucky said:

How any $$ did LE waste on the blood testing machine flop?

Fraud more like it.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Hope for all the fanboy biz buzz analysts that SGP has better financial return than LE's investments in Theranos. 

Yeah, three new high-price hires to drive public acceptance of an annual five (or is it six?) event circuit.  Consider Head of Marketing and Innovation Michael Porter who "spent the past five years at FIA Formula E," where we are told "he was instrumental in the execution of global campaigns and event marketing for all races."

Dunno who or what Mr Porter executed but he most certainly didn't boost NZ public interest, including mine, in FIA Formula E. I say this as someone who likes the idea of Formula E and SailGP competition.

If it t'were me, I'd take all the new budget devoted to the new hires and their fancy plans and spend it on an extra day on competition, per event. That plus a media day for TV, radio and print to mix it with skippers and crews, and get their arses wet with sailing instruction plus demo racing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Surprised this has not been heralded as more evidence of SGP genius. Sarcasm font.

Buttscuttle is largely ignored on SA, and always goes with the sarcasm font anyway.

Article confirms they are in the circus business, and did not even mention AC traitor Ben Ainsley nor environmentalist Ratcliffe. And then that stupid picture of the little kids, bah!

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Article confirms they are in the circus business, and did not even mention AC traitor Ben Ainsley

Ben thinks he is hedging his bets against the day of "dear husband letter". The two hungry Aussies will eat him for dinner.

• Like 1

I thought this video was particularly interesting.  Tells a good story and doesn't try to project everything is unicorns and rainbows.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, efrank said:

I thought this video was particularly interesting.  Tells a good story and doesn't try to project everything is unicorns and rainbows.

Great vid.  3rd highest views of all SailGP videos on YT.  Fans love honesty no matter how many unicorns you try to throw at them.

Wonder what kind of response they'll get to the Sydney regatta while the bushfires continue to ravage the area.

more importantly what adjectives will they adapt to their news items when its impolite to use 'hot action' or 'explosion of power' or 'the ____ team is on fire!'

And it starts here. No more GB flag on the boat, its sponsors logos splashed all over the boats. So tell me again how this is any different from the AC?

While INEOS is mucking around on the toy cats, the others are focused on what really matters.

^What, hot corporation-on-corporation  "sporting" (make that "racing") action won't compel? 

Ineos, Oracle, maybe not SoftBank  this time with those embarrassing bad investments...

Maybe they can get Google in a Java API grudge match with Oracle.

spotted a red hulled F50 trialing off Ruakaka beach (New Zealand, North Island East Coast) on friday 10th in good breeze, couple of chase boats - could have been the new Danish entry

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Fast and stable.

And developed and built in NZ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

And developed and built in NZ.

Another foreigner in NZ, Artemis Technology designed and developped it, and yes Larry was nice to spend his money with Core. Don't know why you hate so much SailGP.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/225814/Just-how-hard-can-it-be

Article about Tom Slingsby and the brilliant Australian team...and the problems with trying to get millions for sponsorship from Aussie entities.

Tom says funding was originally in place for 5 years, then it became 3, now it is TWO and teams without $ can be "vulnerable" and subject to being subsumed by new teams with backing eg China gone, Spain in.

He says they have to have outside money to secure a future.

So I am sure some will see this as a great example of sound business practice and profitability for financial sustainability.

I find it problematic that arguably the best team overall, proud to finally be able to sail for their own country, is on such shaky ground because that country is loathe to shell out corporate and richies money for racing other than S2H.  

I also wonder how the team feels at having believed the initial business commitment (the fully funded for 5 years was quoted all over) and then getting rules changed on them. Hmmmm... hasn't RC/LE done changes to things relied on before?

Hope Qatar Airlines sponsors them. They do a lot of business in OZ.

• Like 1

Clean was right!

Maybe he can now represent them in court, for breach of promise, if there is such a thing. Oh wait...

• Like 1

So this is now their last year of LE support?!

Shit, SGP might already be a backwater bush league before AC36 even gets started...

Clean clocked it...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Clean was right!

Maybe he can now represent them in court, for breach of promise, if there is such a thing. Oh wait...

Larry's lawyers wrote the contracts, and they are very very good (the lawyers, don't know about the contracts!)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

"We were told 5...then 3...now 2."

Smackers doesn't believe you Clew, even though his great Aussie mate Slingers said it on record. Loves Ineos in the Gp, although the irony escapes him with respect to his blathering about billionaires and the AC. Too funny.

As for the teams needing money for Beach cats season 3 - gee no one predicted this did they. That uncle lazza would get bored with writing cheques for 5 years. This thing is going down the toilet and quicker than we all thought. S3 has around 50% chance of not happening now. Anyone disagree?

Well, one things for sure, the longer these bushfires rage on, the less likely Slingsby is to find a corporate sponsor for a team that wants to throw millions of dollars to a team of adrenalin junkies who want to travel the world playing with their expensive toys. 

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Smackers doesn't believe you Clew, even though his great Aussie mate Slingers said it on record. Loves Ineos in the Gp, although the irony escapes him with respect to his blathering about billionaires and the AC. Too funny.

As for the teams needing money for Beach cats season 3 - gee no one predicted this did they. That uncle lazza would get bored with writing cheques for 5 years. This thing is going down the toilet and quicker than we all thought. S3 has around 50% chance of not happening now. Anyone disagree?

I note that the RC44 circuit is coming to Cowes this year.

Maybe they can get some oligarchs to pool resources and have SGP Russia with Slingsby. 

With world famous Slingers, if Australia cannot get funded, I wonder about France and Japan. Son has enough issues with SoftBank it would take Larry promising another $1b for Vision Fund II to get him to sponsor Japan just now. So they need Spain to cough up money and to find 2 or 3 entities from different countries or they will only have 50% of the boats Season 3.

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Well, one things for sure, the longer these bushfires rage on, the less likely Slingsby is to find a corporate sponsor for a team that wants to throw millions of dollars to a team of adrenalin junkies who want to travel the world playing with their expensive toys. 

Oh yeah. It would look bad to fund cat races instead of fire and wildlife relief. 

Another point. The idea that 7 million per team will fund the circus when Larry clamps his wallet shut, is beyond wishful thinking. Beach cat bonanza will still require an umbrella sponsor with very deep pockets. I guess this is Wussels problem - good luck with that son. I can guarantee yah he won't be dipping into his booty for that cash. The realities of this folly are going to catch up to it really soon imo.

• Like 1

Just now, Horn Rock said:

Another point. The idea that 7 million per team will fund the circus when Larry clamps his wallet shut, is beyond wishful thinking. Beach cat bonanza will still require an umbrella sponsor with very deep pockets. I guess this is Wussels problem - good luck with that son. I can guarantee yah he won't be dipping into his booty for that cash. The realities of this folly are going to catch up to it really soon imo.

But many people are saying that this is far more sustainable than the AC. 

2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

But many people are saying that this is far more sustainable than the AC. 

Well one chap.....and he has as much credibility as...........the very stable genius.

At least with the AC you get to take home the prestigious trophy in world sport. With the beach cats you get a bloody wheel. Whoever thought that would be a good looking trophy needs their head read. 

• Like 1

My guess was two years then finito, Larry or not.

And yes, sucks to be slinger and Nathan, both brilliant and maybe left out of the AC now.

Maybe Ben likes the possibility that there will be easy pickings if it lasts past the AC and the dear husband letter, that one's really a mystery.

And what will wuss do next? Does he still have friends? Credibility?

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, barfy said:

And what will wuss do next? Does he still have friends? Credibility?

Stay tuned.

https://globalsportsweek.com/programme/

Global business and social changes in sport. RC speaker.  Looking to move into sports administration?

23 minutes ago, barfy said:

slinger and Nathan, both brilliant and maybe left out of the AC now.

They're gone for the next one, but they're both still young, and as we all know the AC keeps on truckin whether it's in NZ or somewhere else. So there will be opportunities for them down the track. I think there's a good chance we'll see both in the AC again. Kyle Langford said in his pod interview that they're all watching the AC75's and think they're amazing boats.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Global business and social changes in sport. RC speaker.

What a lovely time and event to spruik the circus? No doubt he got an atta boy from Lazza. Any bets on how many times he says "sailing re-invented" 

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Oh yeah. It would look bad to fund cat races instead of fire and wildlife relief. 

There were no bushfires before the last AC when the Aussie team couldn't put together its funding.

The average Kiwi would know more about Slingers and Outteridge than the average Aussie.

14 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

The average Kiwi would know more about Slingers and Outteridge than the average Aussie.

That is 100% true. Aussies, like Americans, don't give two fucks about sailing.  They do give one fuck, which allows every Aussie to know that yachts race in the ocean to that fucking hobbit island every boxing day.  That's one more fuck than Americans give.

• Like 1

The Spite Cup has served it's obvious purpose - so Larry out.....quelle surprise!

if there will be any good sponsorship deals to keep the series alive in 2021, they'll be made at that regatta.  If Russ can just avoid the temptation to keep the sponsors to himself, there might actually be enough boats for decent racing.  Past performance though...

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

if there will be any good sponsorship deals to keep the series alive in 2021, they'll be made at that regatta.  If Russ can just avoid the temptation to keep the sponsors to himself, there might actually be enough boats for decent racing.  Past performance though...

The dearth of any meaningful sponsors and LE's reneging, is further evidence that whatever vanity metrics bamboozled some in public were not reflected in real hard metrics known in private.

I don't think RC44s metrics would be any better, but sponsor packs might be much cheaper.

Any bets they eventually wind up bagging the one nation one boat rule? Maybe could get a couple of Russian boats. They already modified the nationality rule for sailors, they can do whatever they want and just re-spin it. 

7 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

The dearth of any meaningful sponsors and LE's reneging, is further evidence that whatever vanity metrics bamboozled some in public were not reflected in real hard metrics known in private.

I don't think RC44s metrics would be any better, but sponsor packs might be much cheaper.

no metrics.  RC44 is a concierge regatta for some of the richest humans on the planet, and they have all kinds of lovely banquet dinners for 'executive time'.  No cameras allowed.

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Any bets they eventually wind up bagging the one nation one boat rule? Maybe could get a couple of Russian boats. They already modified the nationality rule for sailors, they can do whatever they want and just re-spin it. 

Past performance would indicate they will do whatever they have to in order to get a signature on the sponsorship agreement and a wire confirmation.

• Like 1

Wonder if Core is currently making any more F50s in anticipation of burgeoning demand? They did the new Denmark one, Spain got old Japan boat.

The new wingsets are supposed to be all ready for SF. 

Other than new foils (?) and better hydro and/or control systems, wonder what more "advances" they can or will make?  Those are going to co$t and either 1. teams pony up for it (I think the current $7m per team just covers assembling and fixing and monitoring, not new research and development?), 2. RC gets enough league revenue from sponsors and rights to cover it, or 3. LE keeps paying for it to keep his Core going. Sort of like Lanai eco-agriculture. 

So does Core look busy?

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I think the current $7m per team just covers assembling and fixing and monitoring,

That seems a bit over the top, if true.

I think the $7m/yr per team quoted has something like $2M/year for shared tech services.  I doubt that includes massive R&D and upgrades.  Maybe it does.  Could be wrong.  Maybe it included the new wing sets and such. Anybody know for sure?

22 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

what r&d? Those wings were already designed.

Ah well you wouold know better than I.  I'd thought the 3-height modular hollow ones were post-AC.  

48 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

they were designed but not built

That AC50 had only a single wing size. That's what was in the AC50 Class Rule.

The new F50 wings coming online this season, including their operating systems, are all new design, all new construction. The fit on the same F50 platform in the same position, and the "standard" wing has a planform similar to the original wing, but they are a new design specifically created for SailGP by the in-house design group, and built by Core Composites.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

At least with the AC you get to take home the [most] prestigious trophy in world sport.

Not only in prestige, but also in terms of media attention, participation, audience and sponsorship dollars the soccer World Cup shits all over the America's Cup, where single players are transferred for the cost of an entire AC campaign.

15 minutes ago, RobG said:

Not only in prestige, but also in terms of media attention, participation, audience and sponsorship dollars the soccer World Cup shits all over the America's Cup, where single players are transferred for the cost of an entire AC campaign.

ahhh no players get transferred for the FIFA World Cup... its based entirely on nationality....

Now this is as funny as it gets!

Nation v Nation.

So Great Britain v Australia v Australia.

83986690_23844335076870094_7957903010200

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

I wish they would.  Don't give a shit about the nationality rules either.  Every team develops a personality.  I don't care where they are from. Put the best sailors out there you can find.

I also find it ridiculous to limit some teams time in the boats.  Experience and hard work are rewarded with wins as it should be.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Now this is as funny as it gets!

Nation v Nation.

So Great Britain v Australia v Australia.

83986690_23844335076870094_7957903010200

Don't  forget the Australian trimming on the Denmark team.

43 minutes ago, efrank said:

I also find it ridiculous to limit some teams time in the boats.

Well the teams don't take the boats home after racing. It's not as though each team actually own their boats. Who knows where they are?  Probably in NZ somewhere. The managed training times show how contrived this whole thing is. The sailors are just paid performers in what is accurately described as a circus show. The Gp is a joke, it is not a proper competition, but the ugly child of a demented man whose head is so far up his arse that he's in complete darkness. Sailing re defined....pfttt..... bullshit re invented.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

ahhh no players get transferred for the FIFA World Cup... its based entirely on nationality....

Sure, I should have said "… in a game where players are transferred…" but I'm sure the message go through. :-)

There are also many events in other sports such as golf, tennis, cycling and various US leagues that would rank ahead of an AC for prestige (measured as "respect and admiration given to someone or something, usually because of a reputation for high quality, success, or social influence"). An AC win certainly ranks highly among competitive sailors, but outside that relatively small demographic, maybe not.

4 minutes ago, RobG said:

Sure, I should have said "… in a game where players are transferred…" but I'm sure the message go through. :-)

There are also many events in other sports such as golf, tennis, cycling and various US leagues that would rank ahead of an AC for prestige (measured as "respect and admiration given to someone or something, usually because of a reputation for high quality, success, or social influence"). An AC win certainly ranks highly among competitive sailors, but outside that relatively small demographic, maybe not.

welllll.... sailing olympians and moth world champions get transferred for $$$$ in AC too :-D