Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ben is training on a dis-similar boat with no relevance to the AC.ERNy7zoUwAAV91t.thumb.jpg.b5a49da677012b548dcc56c295b963b7.jpg

I do hope that jib is the training jib, really clashes with the paint job.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ben is training on faster.ERNy7zoUwAAV91t.thumb.jpg.b5a49da677012b548dcc56c295b963b7.jpg

Yeah right

Trump administration backs Oracle in Supreme Court battle against Google

The Trump administration is siding with software company Oracle over Google in the pivotal Supreme Court battle that has pitted the U.S. government against some of the top titans of the tech industry ...

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/483750-trump-administration-backs-oracle-in-supreme-court-battle-against-google

13 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Trump administration backs Oracle in Supreme Court battle against Google

Quid pro quo

wasnt dum donny a guest at the ellison golf course and play group last week

For those outside the US, yes it's as dirty as it all looks. We're always playing the game of "Is this ugly stupid thing happening because of corruption, or because of incomepetence?"  Like all stupid games with stupid prizes, the answer seems to usually be "both"

• Like 1

By 2022.  So SailGP Emirates? RC is on the NZ rich list but can't be paying $7m a year for long. Also, appearance of conflict if league commissioner has a team. The pro US leagues don't allow that.  Does he plan on ETNZ losing the Cup or does he want to be their training platform, lol. 

There is a Tip and Shaft interview on similar lines where RC mentions others wanting in and maybe giving them boats from teams not making sufficient progress toward sponsors. That's  "being looked at."

Oh yeah, he expects 53 to 54 knots.  And then new foils. And carbon neutral by 2025.

Forgot to turn off my news feed, my bad.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Phil Robertson...really? I mean, the guy is talented, but really? You've got guys Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Logan Dunning Beck and Oscar Gunn, Isaac McHardie and William McKenzie all in the top 10 49er crews, not to mention Josh Junior and Andy Maloney, in the Finn, Alex Maloney and Molly Meech in the 49er FX, and Bianca Cook leading her own Ocean Race campaign, and Russell picks Phil Robertson!? I mean he might as well get Deano back too!

Robertson has lots of F50 experience. He tested the rebuilt ones before teams got them, helmed China to 3rd place last season. He is getting Spain going now. And besides, RC needs startup Kiwi helm right?

Maybe fans in the selected age bracket don't know about the RC treason? Or is it taught in history class? 

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Phil Robertson...really? I mean, the guy is talented, but really? You've got guys Peter Burling and Blair Tuke, Logan Dunning Beck and Oscar Gunn, Isaac McHardie and William McKenzie all in the top 10 49er crews, not to mention Josh Junior and Andy Maloney, in the Finn, Alex Maloney and Molly Meech in the 49er FX, and Bianca Cook leading her own Ocean Race campaign, and Russell picks Phil Robertson!? I mean he might as well get Deano back too!

“Hello?”

”Hi, it’s Sir Russell here. Is that you Pete?”

”What the fuck do you want you fucking traitor?”

”I was wondering if you’d like to be involved in the SGP?”

”The what, you fucking traitor?”

”The Sail GP series. We’ve got an audience of 47 Billion people”

”Ah, Nath sails in that. Says it’s shit. Why would I do that?”

”Well, it’s really good. 47 Billon people love it. It’s sailed in the AC50s. We’re expecting to hit 62knots next year, with a tail wind and tide behind us, but probably not during racing”

”Is that the ones with the joy stick flight controller? Have you guys still not caught up yet? Are you still trying to sail them with grinding pedestals?”

”Yeah, but..62knots...47 Billion people. There’s some prize money, but you need to BYO sponsor.”

”Huh?!”

”AND, it’s held every year! What are you up to in 2022?”

”I’m defending the America’s Cup.”

”That old thing?”

”Yup. It’s pretty important to kiwis, and I’m a proud kiwi.”

”But wouldn’t you prefer to do some weekend regattas in places like the leeward side of Manhattan?”

”.....”

”Pete? Hello?.......Hello?”

• Like 8

My point was that I really doubt wussel could extort the kind of $$$$$$ in NZ needed to float a boat. 

I'm sure his first asks would be: emirates, Vodafone, Toyota, and big Mac.

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Robertson has lots of F50 experience. He tested the rebuilt ones before teams got them, helmed China to 3rd place last season. He is getting Spain going now. And besides, RC needs startup Kiwi helm right?

Maybe fans in the selected age bracket don't know about the RC treason? Or is it taught in history class? 

Its etched...burned into the hearts and minds of Kiwi sailors. Just as George Gregan's infamous "4 more years" comment is as well. And just as Quade Coopers boot into Richie McCaws head will always provide any NZ rugby crowd a reason to boo the guy off the field.

Coutts and Butterworth's betrayal is probably one of the most infamous events in NZ sporting history. Not only did they leave Team NZ, but they took their core crew with them and returned to whitewash the still reeling young Kiwi team.

To add insult to injury, Coutts and Spithill publicly insulted GD and Team NZ and put the boot into Team NZ after the San Francisco loss. Which made the demolition of Oracle in Bermuda that much sweeter.

Gregans "4 more years boys" comment will go down in NZ rugby folk lore, Quade Cooper will always be boo'd off the field where ever he goes in NZ until he retires from the game - even though the guy was born in Tokoroa, and Russell Coutts and Brad Butterworth will always be seen as the guys who won the cup for NZ and then turned their backs on NZ. 

Everyone will know the treason for a long, long time, and if they don't, all it takes is a google search and they can learn all about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barfy said:

My point was that I really doubt wussel could extort the kind of $$$$$$ in NZ needed to float a boat. 

I'm sure his first asks would be: emirates, Vodafone, Toyota, and big Mac.

Well, I guess when Team Australia fails to find sponsors, Russell will have an already made team. NZ SailGP team skippered by Tom Slingsby, sponsored by Oracle, with an all Australian crew lol

• Like 1

@Ex-yachtie that is the best post in over a year. Seriously.

If there's one thing we can thank SGP for it's comedy like that!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Well, I guess when Team Australia fails to find sponsors, Russell will have an already made team. NZ SailGP team skippered by Tom Slingsby, sponsored by Oracle, with an all Australian crew lol

Or when SGP Australia and/or Japan fails to find sponsors, they readjust nationality "rules" and "path to 100%" rules--make that suggestions--and farm out any Australians willing or needing to stay on to the new, fully funded entrants. 

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Its etched...burned into the hearts and minds of Kiwi sailors. Just as George Gregan's infamous "4 more years" comment is as well. And just as Quade Coopers boot into Richie McCaws head will always provide any NZ rugby crowd a reason to boo the guy off the field.

Coutts and Butterworth's betrayal is probably one of the most infamous events in NZ sporting history. Not only did they leave Team NZ, but they took their core crew with them and returned to whitewash the still reeling young Kiwi team.

To add insult to injury, Coutts and Spithill publicly insulted GD and Team NZ and put the boot into Team NZ after the San Francisco loss. Which made the demolition of Oracle in Bermuda that much sweeter.

Gregans "4 more years boys" comment will go down in NZ rugby folk lore, Quade Cooper will always be boo'd off the field where ever he goes in NZ until he retires from the game - even though the guy was born in Tokoroa, and Russell Coutts and Brad Butterworth will always be seen as the guys who won the cup for NZ and then turned their backs on NZ. 

Everyone will know the treason for a long, long time, and if they don't, all it takes is a google search and they can learn all about it.

Clarkey, an hilarious rant full of urban myths.  You need to get out out more and experience the rest of the world.  You are far too insular and it clouds your thinking.  Most people move on from perceived issues that may have happened many years ago (except Horn Rock and a few others).  Don't stop taking the red pills..

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Forourselves said:

To add insult to injury, Coutts and Spithill publicly insulted GD and Team NZ

You have more to fear about that kind of comparison, at the same time .

One team losing control in a wake, Ben in full control. I have to say it's sometimes pleasant to troll you :)

yysw280991.jpg.a93ea7d8a36c2f6f31074f1af8a67e0b.jpg.6e62796b521dc18ae031c7328a2c9500.jpg

good shot of the flight control v 2.3 278949619_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2311-44-17.png.7ccefbb3ca7045790b7a37c7eb603311.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Clarkey, an hilarious rant full of urban myths.  You need to get out out more and experience the rest of the world.  You are far too insular and it clouds your thinking.  Most people move on from perceived issues that may have happened many years ago (except Horn Rock and a few others).  Don't stop taking the red pills..

You don't know. You've got no idea!

Not a rugby fan huh? Tell that to the thousands of rugby fans who still boo Quade Cooper off every field he plays on in NZ. Cooper is public enemy no.1 in NZ. Now you KNOW this aint no urban myth! Most NZ rugby crowds boo the shit out of Quade Cooper. If you deny that happens you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Most guys in NZ grow up playing Rugby in this country at some point in their lives, and they ALL know the George Gregan 4 more years comment. It helps us to be better players, and its an iconic moment in the Trans Tasman rivalry.

Trevor Chappell, and his infamous underarm bowl that cost the Kiwi cricketers a title...another moment that will never be forgotten by cricket fans and the cricket community. NEVER

George Gregans 4 more years will NEVER be forgotten, and neither will the Wayne Barnes howler of a call against the All Blacks at the 2007 world cup. 2 Moments burned into the NZ sport psyche.

Russell Coutts betraying Team NZ and stealing the Cup away from NZ will never be forgotten. Have we moved on? Yes. But we will NEVER forget.

You can bury your head in the sand and say stupid things all you like, but you'll always be wrong.

29 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You have more to fear about that kind of comparison, at the same time .

One team losing control in a wake, Ben in full control. I have to say it's sometimes pleasant to troll you :)

yysw280991.jpg.a93ea7d8a36c2f6f31074f1af8a67e0b.jpg.6e62796b521dc18ae031c7328a2c9500.jpg

Yep, Ben's in full control alright! Lol

So the one design concept is a flexible concept. The new new teams have the modular wings, which are better wrt control systems. The rest including the champions Australia have the old ones. Well at least they are used to them. But then have to learn them in arguably more challenging SF.

Makes sense, right? Level playing field and all that.

If rapacious RC wants to get lucrative online sports gambling involved he has to get used to. Ot doing shit like this.

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/02/22/sydney-sailgp-advantage-spain-and-denmark/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You don't know. You've got no idea!

Clarkey, I have more idea about these issues than you will ever know.  To tell you more would reveal myself

19 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Clarkey, I have more idea about these issues than you will ever know.  To tell you more would reveal myself

Actually, virtually everyone on the planet is in that position compared to Four. So the crowd you're in is enormous.

12 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Whatever you say... but I was there to welcome a victorious Team NZ back to NZ in 1995. Then again to see Coutts and Barker lift the cup after a successful defence. And I was there again to watch a reeling Team NZ be humiliated day after day after day whether by their own failures or by a simply better sailing team. I was there to see Team NZ whitewashed and Dean Barker who 3 years earlier had been billed as the next big thing in NZ sailing come in, head down and dejected after an absolute thrashing at the hands of the man who 3 years earlier was by his side lifting the cup for New Zealand. 

There was tears on that dock, devastation, sadness and anger from the NZ fans who felt Coutts had betrayed his team and his country. 

The same devastation, sadness and anger was seen after the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and 2007. The country still hasn't forgiven Coutts, and probably never will. Taine Randell has faded into obscurity, and will always be known as one of the worst All Black Captains in All Black history after losing the World Cup in 2003.

Quade Cooper is boo'd every time he takes the field against a NZ side.

Brad Butterworth tried to take Dalton's job after 2013, and Coutts and Spithill publicly slammed Dalton and supported Butterworths attempted coup. The board saw it differently and the rest is history.

We as NZ sports fans respect Coutts achievements as a sailor, but as a Kiwi, not so much. And We hold grudges, for a long, long time. 

24 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Actually, virtually everyone on the planet is in that position compared to Four. So the crowd you're in is enormous.

Hahahahaha you must be proud of your second place regatta lol remember there is no second.

ETNZ.jpg

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

So the one design concept is a flexible concept. The new new teams have the modular wings, which are better wrt control systems. The rest including the champions Australia have the old ones. Well at least they are used to them. But then have to learn them in arguably more challenging SF.

Makes sense, right? Level playing field and all that.

If rapacious RC wants to get lucrative online sports gambling involved he has to get used to. Ot doing shit like this.

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/02/22/sydney-sailgp-advantage-spain-and-denmark/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Ha. Wonder how much training each team is allotted? Does it show up in a bar graph in the app?

addition all the boats have been fitted with a lighter, better battery solution this year, and this plus the new wing – available to all the fleet from  San Francisco onwards – could see speeds of between 53-54 knots.

This will be challenging as the foils start cavitating on the high speed foils at around 48 knots of boatspeed.

I take it the bold is the ed calling bullshit. 

Serious,I will watch the races, I just have to call out the reams of BS that fall out of the marketing orifice. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Whatever you say... but I was there to welcome a victorious Team NZ back to NZ in 1995. Then again to see Coutts and Barker lift the cup after a successful defence. And I was there again to watch a reeling Team NZ be humiliated day after day after day whether by their own failures or by a simply better sailing team. I was there to see Team NZ whitewashed and Dean Barker who 3 years earlier had been billed as the next big thing in NZ sailing come in, head down and dejected after an absolute thrashing at the hands of the man who 3 years earlier was by his side lifting the cup for New Zealand. 

There was tears on that dock, devastation, sadness and anger from the NZ fans who felt Coutts had betrayed his team and his country. 

The same devastation, sadness and anger was seen after the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and 2007. The country still hasn't forgiven Coutts, and probably never will. Taine Randell has faded into obscurity, and will always be known as one of the worst All Black Captains in All Black history after losing the World Cup in 2003.

Quade Cooper is boo'd every time he takes the field against a NZ side.

Brad Butterworth tried to take Dalton's job after 2013, and Coutts and Spithill publicly slammed Dalton and supported Butterworths attempted coup. The board saw it differently and the rest is history.

We as NZ sports fans respect Coutts achievements as a sailor, but as a Kiwi, not so much. And We hold grudges, for a long, long time. 

Just a couple of corrections for you.  Quade's boot didn't come anywhere Richie's head, even Richie will tell you that.  Brian McKechnie had to hit a six of that last ball to win the match over the biggest boundry in World Cricket, it would not have happened.  Coutts and co moved on because of the dirty tricks of Peter Blake and Alan Sefton.

All your grudges seem to be about when NZ loses, its always someone else's fault, you have to have someone to blame except the team.  I guess that makes you feel better in someway.  You forgot Susie in all your excuses.  What about the latest WRC, who is to blame there, Shag?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Just a couple of corrections for you.  Quade's boot didn't come anywhere Richie's head, even Richie will tell you that.  Brian McKechnie had to hit a six of that last ball to win the match over the biggest boundry in World Cricket, it would not have happened.  Coutts and co moved on because of the dirty tricks of Peter Blake and Alan Sefton.

All your grudges seem to be about when NZ loses, its always someone else's fault, you have to have someone to blame except the team.  I guess that makes you feel better in someway.  You forgot Susie in all your excuses.  What about the latest WRC, who is to blame there, Shag?

4 forgot to include Herbie in his conspiratorial list.

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

You forgot to include Herbie.

Do you mean "beast mode"? Or maybe              " opening the slot" mode? or, " they are foiling upwind and boy are they fast" mode?

Anyway. You brought it up.

20 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Brian McKechnie had to hit a six of that last ball to win the match

just to split hairs

it would not have won the game it would have drawn it

the series then would have had to had at least 1 more game as a decider

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

The same devastation, sadness and anger was seen after the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and 2007

And interestingly the stock market didn’t crash the sun came up and few really gave a flying fuck after the last All Blacks WC choke.

Maybe just maybe we are maturing as a country.

24 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Very true.

Just now, trt131 said:

Just a couple of corrections for you. ........  Coutts and co moved on because of the dirty tricks of Peter Blake and Alan Sefton.

Just one correction for you.

It was the other way round, Cuntts tried to screw Peter and Alan.

And then Ernesto's wife, 5 of his own team, Patricio, Dalts, Commissioner Harvey, and now Larry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Wayne Barnes will tell you "that pass" that sunk the All Blacks in 2007 was actually forward.

Lance Cairns hit 6 sixes at the MCG, over the biggest boundary in world cricket, so don't tell me it can't be done.

The underarm incident should never have happened. It was blatant, and it cost the NZ Cricketers a chance to draw and go on to win the series. Coincidentally, 37 years later and the Aussies are caught ball tampering.

Wayne Barnes cost the All Blacks a quarter final game letting the French go with a forward pass that he later admitted was forward.

ETNZ was ultimately undone by a change to the wind limits, and an error in calculation of the time limit for races v course completion - a race time limit that meant the boats, even though still sailing at between 10-15 knots could still not complete the race course.

The most recent RWC was a fair and square loss. They were beaten by a better team. We all saw that, but that was not the case in the 1981 B&H World series cup at the MCG, it was not the case at the 2007 RWC, and was not the case in AC34.

By the way... here ya go

7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Wayne Barnes will tell you "that pass" that sunk the All Blacks in 2007 was actually forward.

Lance Cairns hit 6 sixes at the MCG, over the biggest boundary in world cricket, so don't tell me it can't be done.

The underarm incident should never have happened. It was blatant, and it cost the NZ Cricketers a chance to draw and go on to win the series. Coincidentally, 37 years later and the Aussies are caught ball tampering.

Wayne Barnes cost the All Blacks a quarter final game letting the French go with a forward pass that he later admitted was forward.

ETNZ was ultimately undone by a change to the wind limits, and an error in calculation of the time limit for races v course completion - a race time limit that meant the boats, even though still sailing at between 10-15 knots could still not complete the race course.

The most recent RWC was a fair and square loss. They were beaten by a better team. We all saw that, but that was not the case in the 1981 B&H World series cup at the MCG, it was not the case at the 2007 RWC, and was not the case in AC34.

By the way... here ya go

Jeeze.

Lucky some of use just enjoy watching sport and know it’s a game. If we were to keep track of all the things that led to our competition’s defeats, we’d feel much better about our own.

^As a point of clarity, the AC is obviously exempt from this, because it’s fucking important. I’ll continue to carry THAT chip on my shoulder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Jeeze.

Lucky some of use just enjoy watching sport and know it’s a game. If we were to keep track of all the things that led to our competition’s defeats, we’d feel much better about our own.

At social level its just a game. At the pointy end of sport, its bragging rights, its about being the best, thats what competition is all about. Participation awards are for pussies. You either win, or you lose, you win, you have the right to call yourself the best in the world at what you do. You lose, well, thats what you are, a loser. There are no points for second place in the AC. And thats why, in terms of the AC, the country moved on so quickly from Dean Barker to Peter Burling. Dean was loyal to ETNZ, but he wasn't getting the results, and there was someone else who was, and look what happened.

32 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

By the way... here ya go

Like I said Clarkey, Quades boot did not hit Richies head as you stated, and an obviously accidental knee glanced by the untouchable Richie. You must have a miserable life carrying that kind of bitterness for years.  As Priscilla said most of the country have matured and moved on.

16 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

At social level its just a game. At the pointy end of sport, its bragging rights, its about being the best, thats what competition is all about. Participation awards are for pussies. You either win, or you lose, you win, you have the right to call yourself the best in the world at what you do. You lose, well, thats what you are, a loser. There are no points for second place in the AC. And thats why, in terms of the AC, the country moved on so quickly from Dean Barker to Peter Burling. Dean was loyal to ETNZ, but he wasn't getting the results, and there was someone else who was, and look what happened.

As fans, we do jack shit, I have never lost a rugby world cup, or the Americas Cup, and I sure have shit never won either of them, but I do ride the coattails of those who have, but it's all just a fucking game, I watched the underarm ball with my old man, and I would rather have one single more day with him, than watching McKechnie hit that 6 and NZ win the series.

7 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Like I said Clarkey, Quades boot did not hit Richies head as you stated, and an obviously accidental knee glanced by the untouchable Richie. You must have a miserable life carrying that kind of bitterness for years.  As Priscilla said most of the country have matured and moved on.

"An obviously accidental knee" 

To quote a famous advert ...

"Aussies, no surprises there" 

Richie McCaw geometry lesson - 45 degrees = 0 degrees and cost the Crusaders the Super 15 title

The turning point in the game was a penalty at the 79th minute by the famous New Zealand flanker, Richie McCaw 45 meters out. Bernard Foley’s penalty 45m out right in front of the post gave the Waratahs’ a lead 33-32. Maintaining possession till the siren sounded and the ball is placed out of bounds.

10547788_10153083154762738_4400198065470729810_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_oc=AQn31yotbmuxpESK-HSktDfxUa5cfG6gsgzjS6GAQad1BmtiH22WAi3Zm4J7A4qHmyc&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd8-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=601e9607d31d36095b53eef811feeaed&oe=5EC23996

3 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Richie McCaw geometry lesson - 45 degrees = 0 degrees and cost the Crusaders the Super 15 title

The turning point in the game was a penalty at the 79th minute by the famous New Zealand flanker, Richie McCaw 45 meters out. Bernard Foley’s penalty 45m out right in front of the post gave the Waratahs’ a lead 33-32. Maintaining possession till the siren sounded and the ball is placed out of bounds.

10547788_10153083154762738_4400198065470729810_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_oc=AQn31yotbmuxpESK-HSktDfxUa5cfG6gsgzjS6GAQad1BmtiH22WAi3Zm4J7A4qHmyc&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd8-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=601e9607d31d36095b53eef811feeaed&oe=5EC23996

If you're not pushing the boundaries you're not an openside flanker. 

And it's only the sheep shagging, one eyed, inbred, flat lander cantabrians who give a fuck when they lose a game. 

19 minutes ago, kenergy said:

And it's only the sheep shagging, one eyed, inbred, flat lander cantabrians who give a fuck when they lose a game

Try being a Jaffa where winning is not everything it’s the participating that counts.:D

Crikey we had a win over the weekend so there is must be hope for S&S after all.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Try being a Jaffa where winning is not everything it’s the participating that counts.:D

Crikey we had a win over the weekend so there is must be hope for S&S after all.

Priscilla, you are right its just a game the world moves on.  Some of the comments on this forum make me laugh when they say look how good we (NZ) are and we have only a small population.  Using that theory the Jafas should win all the sporting contests in NZ as you have the biggest population.

Clarkey when a NZ team wins you gain nothing out of it as you wern't playing.  The win does not make you any better, the win doesn't enhance your reputation, you are only a spectator, learn to live with the losses and cheer the wins but it is not life or death.

As you all know, I usually don't post in this thread, but after seeing some of the comments by the KiWhingersTM in the NYYC thread it was clear they have little idea what they are talking about as they feebly try to slag SailGP. And I just hate to see people embarrass themselves.

So, though this is a very rudimentary, pop-up book style video that even the most casual 4-year-old fan of SailGP already understands, this might be helpful to these "veteran sailors and SA posters" from "the world's Mecca of sailing and weird birds" who seem to be completely ignorant of what's going on.

Always happy to help...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-11.27.57-AM.pn

ProTip: You can always use the 2 vertical lines in the lower left of the screen (which will magically appear after you click on the triangle) to stop the pictures and allow you catch up if it's all moving too quickly for you and you feel disorientated. Oh, but don't watch the 2 vertical lines, you need to watch the pictures.

9 hours ago, trt131 said:

Clarkey when a NZ team wins you gain nothing out of it as you wern't playing.  The win does not make you any better, the win doesn't enhance your reputation, you are only a spectator, learn to live with the losses and cheer the wins but it is not life or death.

You have turned a blind eye to the irrefutable fact that the $250m of public loot that has in reality resulted in a few extra metres of wharf space and the odd building platform represents small kumaras compared to the tsunami of wealth that will pour forth from the winning of the Poisoned Chalice and trickle down to all the whares throughout the land of the long white cloud.

This Clarkey you speak of will in a very short breath of time turn the brochure of dreams into a reality on the back of winning.

063C9E02-B52D-4F4D-A62B-CDD6E40FF018.png.45317fad8a28d5be33bc0fc941786869.png

OK I'm going with this for a finish order. The top 3 though could be reversed in any order IMO. Can't see USA breaking into that mix. Spain and Denmark are unknown but I'm going with the Spanish to pip Denmark. Give me your finishing order though?

Australia (Because it's in Sydney)

Great Britain 

Japan

USA

France 

Spain

Denmark

15 hours ago, trt131 said:

Priscilla, you are right its just a game the world moves on.  Some of the comments on this forum make me laugh when they say look how good we (NZ) are and we have only a small population.  Using that theory the Jafas should win all the sporting contests in NZ as you have the biggest population.

Population is irrelevant. Is it just a game? Is it just sport? No. Not when the amounts of money/ benefits involved are as exorbitant as they are in the AC. No doubt the AC benefits the NZ economy hugely. And when it benefits the NZ economy, it benefits ME. Its not about life or death, but it is about livelihoods. When ETNZ is successful, the Marine industry is successful, and when the NZ marine industry is successful, the NZ economy is successful. When the NZ economy is successful, the country is successful, and the people prosper. 

Watching the guys with the new wings, they can twist the head beyond straight into the apparent, creating righting moment from it.  Wonder if it’s worth the drag...

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Population is irrelevant. Is it just a game? Is it just sport? No. Not when the amounts of money/ benefits involved are as exorbitant as they are in the AC. No doubt the AC benefits the NZ economy hugely. And when it benefits the NZ economy, it benefits ME. Its not about life or death, but it is about livelihoods. When ETNZ is successful, the Marine industry is successful, and when the NZ marine industry is successful, the NZ economy is successful. When the NZ economy is successful, the country is successful, and the people prosper. 

But that doesn't explain your bitterness when NZ loses at other sports.  And you only followed Priscilla's lead there.

44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

benefits involved are as exorbitant as they are in the AC.

Seriously 4Clarkey there you go again strutting rabidly around with a economic hard on spouting fake news party lines that simply just ain't true.

The AC is starting to look like the social welfare beneficiary film industry.

Sadly public funding has become a sport in its own right here.

Exorbitant is the cost to the public purse not the return that has been whittled back to a more realistic cost benefit of way less than 1:1 

If you are expecting to get your dibs on a Tattoo 26 based on the subsequent AC generated national bonanza I recommend you see if this model is still available.

332E6AC8-844F-40B0-9D9C-4028A1CC44D9.jpeg.ee24654c65af0c3a7437207f6e845c60.jpeg.88e7059430260581f16d9ed15a2efdc1.jpeg

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

But that doesn't explain your bitterness when NZ loses at other sports.  And you only followed Priscilla's lead there.

I'm only bitter when NZ is beaten by teams who use foul means to beat us. Like Oracle in 2013, like Oracle tried again in 2017. I'm not bitter at England for beating us in the recent world cup, because the truth is they out played us in every area of the game. Can they repeat that performance? I'm willing to bet they can't, but they proved every dog has his day. 

What I'm bitter about are those fools who go on and on and on about Team NZ "Whinging" about the Defender's rules in 2013 and again in 2017, and say "Team NZ and GD should just shut up and put up with the rules set by the defender no matter how one sided, then in the same breath talk about LE and RC being some kind of saviour of the sport when they did exactly the same thing in 2009/ 2010, and dragged the event through the courts for 2 years excluding every other nation and challenger and spending their way to an Americas Cup win. That gets a pass, but Kiwi's get called "whingers" because we didn't toe the company line when it came to Oracle's rules, and "The Framework"

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I'm only bitter when NZ is beaten by teams who use foul means to beat us. Like Oracle in 2013, like Oracle tried again in 2017

You need to seek urgent medical assistance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I'm only bitter when NZ is beaten by teams who use foul means to beat us. Like Oracle in 2013

You still don't believe in Herbie do you.  Even though that has been thoroughly proven to be a falsehood started by a so called journalist.

13 minutes ago, trt131 said:

You still don't believe in Herbie do you.  Even though that has been thoroughly proven to be a falsehood started by a so called journalist.

Sorry cuz. Watch the board movements. Watch the grinding energy going into the non-spinning main winch drum. Oh, and at the end there was "opening the slot". Pictures don't lie.

I personally don't find it important enough to comment on any more. The delicious irony, as dalts said, of beating OR using a legal flight control assist, was revenge enough plus some.

It is what it was. Hopefully measurers will be on top of tech like that going forward to ensure a level playing field.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

332E6AC8-844F-40B0-9D9C-4028A1CC44D9.jpeg.ee24654c65af0c3a7437207f6e845c60.jpeg.88e7059430260581f16d9ed15a2efdc1.jpeg

The long rumored ETNZ boat 0.5. They were running super experimental foils when this was taken. 

3 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I believe Oracle used a system that should have been further investigated before allowing the team to race. Especially given their history of rule infringements. 

I certainly don't believe it was some kind of "beast mode' they were able to initiate in 2013, but either didn't think would pay off 4 years later, or that they could not evolve for the next AC (2017). You would think if that mode worked so well for them in 2013, that same mode, or a similar mode would've been adopted for 2017, yet they seemed to have dropped all semblance of that mode and regressed.

So do I think Tom Slingsby woke up one morning and said "Okay boys, its time for beast mode" No. I think they implemented a system that was questionable, and the measurement committee was still reeling from not only the death of a crew member on a race yacht, but also the "Ruddergate" scandal which the Kiwi's had won, and also having to  deduct 2 points from the Defender for Cheating.

There was a moment in 2007 where ETNZ protested Alinghi for sending a crew member up the mast when according to the protocol, the boats were supposed to be able to raise and lower the Mainsail without assistance from a crew member up the mast. Alinghi couldn't do it. They ended up having a man up the mast clearly adjusting something when he thought the on board measurers weren't watching, then removing his arms like he never did anything. 

Alinghi got off with a Protocol/ class rule violation in 2007 and I believe Oracle did in 2013 too.

Nice. Crossing the tramp stands out now as a high risk task.

Hope there's a breeze for the Sydney show.

What I'm bitter about are those fools who go on and on and on about Team NZ "Whinging" about the Defender's rules in 2013 and again in 2017, and say "Team NZ and GD should just shut up and put up with the rules set by the defender no matter how one sided, then in the same breath talk about LE and RC being some kind of saviour of the sport when they did exactly the same thing in 2009/ 2010, and dragged the event through the courts for 2 years excluding every other nation and challenger and spending their way to an Americas Cup win. That gets a pass, but Kiwi's get called "whingers" because we didn't toe the company line when it came to Oracle's rules, and "The Framework"

A precedent started by New Zealand and dragged the event through the courts for 4 years excluding every other nation

In 1987, soon after Conner had won back the cup with Stars and Stripes but before the San Diego Yacht Club had publicly issued terms for the next regatta, a New Zealand syndicate, again led by merchant banker Sir Michael Fay, lodged a surprise challenge. Fay challenged with a gigantic yacht named New Zealand (KZ1) or the Big Boat, which with a 90-foot (27 m) waterline, was the largest single masted yacht possible under the original rules of the cup trust deed. This was an unwelcome challenge to the San Diego Yacht Club, who wanted to continue to run Cup regattas using 12-metre yachts.[40] A legal battle ensued over the challenge, with Justice Carmen Ciparick of the New York State Supreme (trial) Court (which administers the Deed of Gift) ruling that Fay's challenge on behalf of Mercury Bay Boating Club (MBBC) was valid. The court ordered SDYC to accept it and negotiate mutually agreeable terms for a match, or to race under the default provisions of the Deed, or to forfeit the cup to MBBC.

Forced to race, and lacking time for preparation, Conner and SDYC looked for a way to prevail. They recognized that a catamaran was not expressly prohibited under the rules. Multihulls, due to a lower wetted surface area and vastly lower mass, are inherently faster than equal-length monohulls. Conner, however, left nothing to chance and commissioned a cutting edge design with a wing sail, named—as his 12-metre yachts had been—Stars and Stripes.

The two yachts raced under the simple terms of the deed in September 1988. New Zealand predictably lost by a huge margin. Fay then took SDYC back to court, arguing that the race had been unfair, certainly not the "friendly competition between nations", envisaged in the Deed of Gift. Ciparick agreed and awarded New Zealand the Cup. However, Ciparick's decision was overturned on appeal and SDYC's win was reinstated. Fay then appealed to New York's highest court and lost. Thus SDYC successfully defended the cup in what observers described as the most controversial cup match to that point.[41] (The 2010 America's Cup was a direct descendant of the 1988 cup, as it featured two gigantic multi-hull yachts and generated even more legal activity and controversy ).

6 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

A precedent started by New Zealand

In 1987, soon after Conner had won back the cup with Stars and Stripes but before the San Diego Yacht Club had publicly issued terms for the next regatta, a New Zealand syndicate, again led by merchant banker Sir Michael Fay, lodged a surprise challenge. Fay challenged with a gigantic yacht named New Zealand (KZ1) or the Big Boat, which with a 90-foot (27 m) waterline, was the largest single masted yacht possible under the original rules of the cup trust deed. This was an unwelcome challenge to the San Diego Yacht Club, who wanted to continue to run Cup regattas using 12-metre yachts.[40] A legal battle ensued over the challenge, with Justice Carmen Ciparick of the New York State Supreme (trial) Court (which administers the Deed of Gift) ruling that Fay's challenge on behalf of Mercury Bay Boating Club (MBBC) was valid. The court ordered SDYC to accept it and negotiate mutually agreeable terms for a match, or to race under the default provisions of the Deed, or to forfeit the cup to MBBC.

Forced to race, and lacking time for preparation, Conner and SDYC looked for a way to prevail. They recognized that a catamaran was not expressly prohibited under the rules. Multihulls, due to a lower wetted surface area and vastly lower mass, are inherently faster than equal-length monohulls. Conner, however, left nothing to chance and commissioned a cutting edge design with a wing sail, named—as his 12-metre yachts had been—Stars and Stripes.

The two yachts raced under the simple terms of the deed in September 1988. New Zealand predictably lost by a huge margin. Fay then took SDYC back to court, arguing that the race had been unfair, certainly not the "friendly competition between nations", envisaged in the Deed of Gift. Ciparick agreed and awarded New Zealand the Cup. However, Ciparick's decision was overturned on appeal and SDYC's win was reinstated. Fay then appealed to New York's highest court and lost. Thus SDYC successfully defended the cup in what observers described as the most controversial cup match to that point.[41] (The 2010 America's Cup was a direct descendant of the 1988 cup, as it featured two gigantic multi-hull yachts and generated even more legal activity and controversy ).

And look what happened. From the 88 cup came a class with longevity. A cup that would see and evolve over 4 cup cycles. A class that has an undeniable legacy in he history of the AC. A class that arguably saw the greatest period of competition the AC had ever seen. A class Oracle retired because they thought they could attract the attention of the unwashed masses. Fast forward 7 years and they're still trying to appeal to that same crowd of unwashed masses, not with sailing, but with crashes, thrills, spills and capsizes... ridiculous.

By the way, that wasn't dragged through the courts anywhere near as long as Larry and Russell did. The Fremantle cup was 87, the San Diego mis match the year after in 88 and 4 years later the next cycle was held. There was 3 years in between AC32 and AC33, and another 3 years in between 33 and 34. 

But you complain when someone else does it but you guys did it first - hypocrisy at its finest - a NZ trait

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

But you complain when someone else does it but you guys did it first - hypocrisy at its finest - a NZ trait

Fuck yeah, a unique trait too.

1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

hypocrisy at its finest - a NZ trait

You know what you can do.......

I believe Oracle used a system that should have been further investigated before allowing the team to race. Especially given their history of rule infringements. 

I certainly don't believe it was some kind of "beast mode' they were able to initiate in 2013, but either didn't think would pay off 4 years later, or that they could not evolve for the next AC (2017). You would think if that mode worked so well for them in 2013, that same mode, or a similar mode would've been adopted for 2017, yet they seemed to have dropped all semblance of that mode and regressed.

So do I think Tom Slingsby woke up one morning and said "Okay boys, its time for beast mode" No. I think they implemented a system that was questionable, and the measurement committee was still reeling from not only the death of a crew member on a race yacht, but also the "Ruddergate" scandal which the Kiwi's had won, and also having to  deduct 2 points from the Defender for Cheating.

There was a moment in 2007 where ETNZ protested Alinghi for sending a crew member up the mast when according to the protocol, the boats were supposed to be able to raise and lower the Mainsail without assistance from a crew member up the mast. Alinghi couldn't do it. They ended up having a man up the mast clearly adjusting something when he thought the on board measurers weren't watching, then removing his arms like he never did anything. 

Alinghi got off with a Protocol/ class rule violation in 2007 and I believe Oracle did in 2013 too.

You are tiring with "they must have been cheating because they beat us and we are unbeatable therefore they were cheating"  Spithill absolutely got under your skin and made the unbeatable team look ordinary in the end.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

They ended up having a man up the mast … then removing his arms like he never did anything. 

Fuck, that's commitment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

You are tiring with "they must have been cheating because they beat us and we are unbeatable therefore they were cheating"  Spithill absolutely got under your skin and made the unbeatable team look ordinary in the end.

I will never understand how the NZ team can be so good at innovating and sailing and do it all with quiet style, while their most vocal fans seem so incredibly fragile that anything that isn't NZ winning must be cheating and any good idea from anywhere else on the planet must be stealing. Please don't quote these guys. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RMac said:

... Please don't quote these guys. 

Please stop quoting alltogether. There might be snowflakes around that feel triggered no matter what. 

Just now, Rennmaus said:

Please stop quoting alltogether. There might be snowflakes around that feel triggered no matter what. 

YOU GOT IT

3 hours ago, RobG said:

Fuck, that's commitment.

"But your honor, how could he have been tripping a lock, you see he has no arms!"

There is a certain irony of the incident with Richie McCaw being chosen when he was regarded by many as the best cheat in world rugby. 

Fouryourselves, do you honestly think that in the AB RWC wins there was never a forward pass? Never an osbstruction that the ref of the day didn't pick up but would have on video replay?

To pick another example I could choose incidents from Jerry Collins career where he got away with stuff, but I will choose to remember him as a brilliant rugby player who also showed a wonderful side for his character when he coached the kids and then turned out for Barnstaple RFC (a club in the 5th tier of English clubs). A lovely gesture from a pro sportsman.

Learn to forgive and move on. For your own benefit. Personally I'm not that fussed about SailGP (though if they had been around when I was competing that might have been different). But good luck to them. Its another facet to the sport, more sponsorship, more awareness, and good sailing. Where's the downside if you love sailing?

14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

OK I'm going with this for a finish order. The top 3 though could be reversed in any order IMO. Can't see USA breaking into that mix. Spain and Denmark are unknown but I'm going with the Spanish to pip Denmark. Give me your finishing order though?

Australia (Because it's in Sydney)

Great Britain 

Japan

USA

France 

Spain

Denmark

I'm guessing:

Japan

Australia

Spain

USA

Great Britain

France 

Denmark

Australia is probably better than Japan in depth, but I just can't bet against Outteridge. I think Phil Robertson can bring Spain up to speed quickly.  I don't think the USA will ever be better than middling. 

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Where's the downside if you love sailing?

Grinding my teeth and trying to keep my BP down and not vomit thinking about the crass political expediency of the owner?  Not giving him money, clicks, views. (Fuck you Larry for supporting climate change denying, rule of law mocking, Constitution ignoring, etc. But good move if you think you need a case quashed, a verdict fixed, or a pardon.)

But based on what I recall up till last week 

AUSTRALIA because it's the home team

Japan because Nathan is pissed off

Great Britain because well, why not

Spain Phil is a good leader and knows those boats

France trying harder tho I miss Marie

USA mediocre 

Denmark newbies 

• Like 3

Every time I got beaten on the water I absolutely knew the opposition were cheating and wished I had access to supreme legal weight like Fagan Fay to right the obvious wrongs of being beaten by a faster boat.

4Clarkey ignores the sad reality that cheating  plays a pivotal part in most things in life.

A “winner” just does’t get caught.

Except for wild card Phil, maybe sporting a new wing? Nothing untoward, Nathan is top dog, slingers second

More Kiwis dominating the leaderboard and Larry's back account withdrawals :lol:

• Like 1

Even this series has more teams than SailGP!

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226850/Inaugural-TF35-Trophy-to-kick-off-in-May

Eight teams confirmed for inaugural TF35 Trophy

by TF35 Press 25 Feb 04:40 NZDT

yysw281406.jpg Debut TF35 Trophy season planned to kick-off in May 2020 © Pedro Martinez / Sailing Energy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Lets face it. Wing sailed cats are the past. Mono foilers are the future.

Not in this race and given they have 7-8 teams racing with more coming and we have 3 foiling challengers in the Cup it's fair to say the F50's are better bang for buck ATM IMO