Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

2 hours ago, efrank said:

I just read on the app that Goobs is flying the Ineos boat.  WTF?  Sucks for Outteridge.

Because he's part of the Cup team, as is Luke Parkinson. They probably won't be in SailGP at all next year as they'll be busy with Cup duties.

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Because he's part of the Cup team, as is Luke Parkinson. They probably won't be in SailGP at all next year as they'll be busy with Cup duties.

I thought there was an AC clause forbidding contestants from sailing in a "competing regatta or class". Paraphrasing from memory but I must be wrong as there appears to be a few crossover sailors.

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I thought there was an AC clause forbidding contestants from sailing in a "competing regatta or class". Paraphrasing from memory but I must be wrong as there appears to be a few crossover sailors.

From memory the rule (paraphrased) is the teams are not allowed to line up outside of official AC regatta's unless its in an established class, TP52, GC32, etc, I'd imagine Sail GP counts as an established class.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/coupe-de-l-america-le-coach-francais-des-italiens-philippe-presti-passe-les-effectifs-en-revue-d6d954f4-5718-11ea-8f9f-d7b93215afa4

America's Cup. French Italians coach Philippe Presti reviews staff

The most interesting part:

"Some videos that leaked from our side show the boat sailing in an apparently unstable way, but it was in a two meter chop and a strong sirocco! These are conditions in which we could not sail in the F50"

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/coupe-de-l-america-le-coach-francais-des-italiens-philippe-presti-passe-les-effectifs-en-revue-d6d954f4-5718-11ea-8f9f-d7b93215afa4

America's Cup. French Italians coach Philippe Presti reviews staff

The most interesting part:

"Some videos that leaked from our side show the boat sailing in an apparently unstable way, but it was in a two meter chop and a strong sirocco! These are conditions in which we could not sail in the F50"

Wrong thread, too late, what did you drink today ? :rolleyes:

Conflicted about posting this but here goes.

The page has pulldown for various countries.

US gets free live on app and FB and YT.  App has supplement channel with stuff maybe that is where Shiels is.  It is late night east coast, better for Californians.

Replay next morning on CBSSports, a cable channel you may or may not have.  Not sure if app supp channel can be replayed. 

https://sailgp.com/watch/

Dunno who gets what elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

what did you drink today ?

French brandy, and lots of it.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Conflicted about posting this but here goes.

The page has pulldown for various countries.

US gets free live on app and FB and YT.  App has supplement channel with stuff maybe that is where Shiels is.  It is late night east coast, better for Californians.

Replay next morning on CBSSports, a cable channel you may or may not have.  Not sure if app supp channel can be replayed. 

https://sailgp.com/watch/

Dunno who gets what elsewhere.

In NZ we can only watch on Sky TV as geo-blocked from everything else. To watch Sky I have to sign up to at least a $58/month subscription service I don't want. What a ridiculous concept, I thought Larry and Russ wanted people to watch this!

And yes I know, VPN blah blah, proxy blah blah. There will be a way around the geo-block but seriously, should I have to resort to that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I thought Larry and Russ wanted people to watch this!

You are almost right, Larry and Russ want people to pay to watch it.

17 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

In NZ we can only watch on Sky TV as geo-blocked from everything else. To watch Sky I have to sign up to at least a $58/month subscription service I don't want. What a ridiculous concept, I thought Larry and Russ wanted people to watch this!

And yes I know, VPN blah blah, proxy blah blah. There will be a way around the geo-block but seriously, should I have to resort to that?

Ah, who cares if it's live or not? I mean really, a race with recycled AC boats? I'll just wait until the next time I'm really bored.

Companion App with data feeds to complement broadcaster coverage. Delayed coverage of Sydney SailGP will be available on YouTube 24 hours after race completion.

14 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

There will be a way around the geo-block but seriously, should I have to resort to that?

should you or will you .. its not a race series that has a huge potential economic benefit for the winner

it has to earn  enough for the teams to survive and want to invest in continuing

the vpn is only an extra safeguard

the ability to tag a stream is available to anyone anywhere

6 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

the vpn is only an extra safeguard

My VPN service lets me choose from a large number of servers in different countries and is very fast ... so it's not really the security I'm concerned about in this case.

... I may have just shown my hand :D

Regardless, am going away this weekend so might watch the replays on YT next week.

Rome Kirby USGP skipper interview:

Last year and this year, each team has been given an equal budget. I won’t say how much or how it has changed, but the mission now is to begin reimbursing the league. The money our team brings in decreases the league’s commitment to us, and if we bring in an amount in excess to the budget number, 

Any bets on Larry paying for a third year?

• Like 1

my vpn lets me put it on several different devices .. so a phone or a portable tv box makes it easy to play on any tv .. or even just a lappy

and yes of course from pretty much anywhere

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Rome Kirby USGP skipper interview:

Last year and this year, each team has been given an equal budget. I won’t say how much or how it has changed, but the mission now is to begin reimbursing the league. The money our team brings in decreases the league’s commitment to us, and if we bring in an amount in excess to the budget number, 

Any bets on Larry paying for a third year?

Oh, great find!  I did not think to look for more interviews but here they are.  But first, another gem from #1 

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/24/sailgp-2020-new-and-improved/

"Gotcha. The league owns the equipment… do you see this ever changing?

Hard to say how it will evolve, but at this point, in terms of keeping it one design and in order for the league to keep tabs on the gear and make sure everything is looked after appropriately and within the rules, it is best for the league to own the equipment.

But at the same time, that comes with flaws and issues. For instance, if you’re trying to sell a team, the buyer needs to figure out what they’ll own, and if it’s just advertising rights, then that does not appeal to everyone. If a team doesn’t own any assets, it’s a tougher sell to some sponsors, but it’s a better sell for others."

=============

#2 https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/25/us-sailgp-team-making-strides-for-2020/

RK thinks one day sailors will prefer SGP to AC. (SD must be ecstatic)

"Racing foiling boats at a high level, there’s a huge premium on it; there’s definitely America’s Cup teams that see value in that, which is good. It’s good for SailGP, it’s good for our team, and it’s good for the sport. However, one day I can see SailGP being such a premier league where guys will start choosing SailGP over the America’s Cup. Time will tell." 

They do ration training time to handicap and teams pay for simulator.  (I'll bet INEOS got a lot of time, lol)

"Limiting time in the boats keeps the expenses down, but it also makes it hard for teams like yours to catch up. But now you’re getting some practice time before the first event… is everyone given the same amount?

I would love to say yes. I should probably be PC, but I’m not going to. So no, not everyone gets the same time. It can be a bit frustrating for some teams, can be beneficial for others. Being the newest team, the Danish are going to get substantially more time than we are or the French or the British or whoever. But then you’ve got the Australians who are probably pretty frustrated because we probably get an extra few days more than them, but we’re trying to catch up on years of experience that they’ve got in these boats.

Is this the league’s attempt to manufacture close racing?

In essence, yes, so to make a massive jump is hard. If we could have sailed all off-season, we would have, as that’s where you make the biggest gain, but it’s not a reality right now. But hopefully we can bring some more sponsors on board and continue building our team and SailGP so we can do this stuff in the off-season a bit more.

Using the simulator helped prepare teams for 2019. Was there any simulator time this off-season?

I think every team had the opportunity to go use a simulator, though it’s not quite the same as being on the real boat. It’s totally different, and while it is beneficial, it does not replicate sailing. At the end of the day, time on the boat– there’s no substitute for time on the boat.

Doesn’t matter what boat it is. If you’re not in the boat and you’re not sailing it every day, there’s nothing that compares to it. So getting over the simulator has its benefits, and obviously, we’ve tried to maximize and use the simulator objectively and try and get out what we think is beneficial.

We’ve got a couple of simulator sessions scheduled this year but it doesn’t have the same effect as getting a couple of days on the water.

You said every team has the opportunity to use the simulator. Is using it a budget consideration?

Everything we do is a budget consideration. Using it is not cheap, but it is beneficial if there’s things you want to get out of it. So we need to make sure it’s worth it to spend money on flights, accommodation, simulator time. Doesn’t matter what you’re doing as a team, budget is always taken into account."

#3 https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/25/us-sailgp-team-making-strides-for-2020/

More on the funding issue that @winchfodder spotted.  RK says the pressure to sell is good.  Once they self-fund they can get more training time. (SICK!)

"Let’s talk about the league structure. There’s private funding right now, but the goal of SailGP is to be a commercially sustainable circuit within five years. That’s going to take the teams to step up with their own funding. How’s that work?

Last year and this year, each team has been given an equal budget. I won’t say how much or how it has changed, but the mission now is to begin reimbursing the league. The money our team brings in decreases the league’s commitment to us, and if we bring in an amount in excess to the budget number, then we can leverage that advantage over the other teams.

For now, we have our funding target, and while that target does not surpass our operating budget, it remains a possibility, sitting here at the beginning of the season. It’s going to be tough, but I have no doubt we can achieve it. There’s definitely pressure on us to sell, which is good. I think with a bit of pressure, you’ll see our team succeed, and I’m excited for the season on the water and off the water.

I want us to be self-sufficient, and we’re pushing pretty hard to be self-sufficient. Once we get there, that allows us to potentially get more training time. This would give us an advantage, so we need to take the business side as serious as we do the competitive side, but I believe in our team, and I have no doubt that we can get there.

Editor’s note: Rome wasn’t willing to disclose the budget amount by CEO Russell Coutts said it was US$7 million for the 2020 season.

Has the league mandated a point at which all the teams need to be self-supported?

As you stated, there’s the five-year plan, and each year there’s targets. If teams are under-performing from a commercial side, my guess would be SailGP would definitely reevaluate because I know there’s teams waiting in the wings with funding. So if a team is not performing from a commercial standpoint, then they’ll probably make changes– not probably, most definitely. Not only do you have to perform on the water, you got to perform off the water.

So if your team doesn’t step up, you run the risk of losing this slot.

100%. Not only are we competing on the water, we’re competing off the water."

=================

GENTLEFOLK, start your bets......

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I know there’s teams waiting in the wings with funding.

poor kid has no idea he's the mark

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Oh, great find!  I did not think to look for more interviews but here they are.  But first, another gem from #1 

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/24/sailgp-2020-new-and-improved/

"Gotcha. The league owns the equipment… do you see this ever changing?

Hard to say how it will evolve, but at this point, in terms of keeping it one design and in order for the league to keep tabs on the gear and make sure everything is looked after appropriately and within the rules, it is best for the league to own the equipment.

But at the same time, that comes with flaws and issues. For instance, if you’re trying to sell a team, the buyer needs to figure out what they’ll own, and if it’s just advertising rights, then that does not appeal to everyone. If a team doesn’t own any assets, it’s a tougher sell to some sponsors, but it’s a better sell for others."

(...) 

The series owning the equipment with sponsors giving funds to the team worked quite well in motorsports, e.g. Lupo and Mini Cups. 

hard to see with a 7 mill budget pa

they can claim market value of 400 mill

i fear clean is right

bullshit attracts bullshit

and mushrooms love the environment

If Ben kicks Slinger's ass we know the Ineo$ money and training time worked well.

38 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

If Ben kicks Slinger's ass we know the Ineo$ money and training time worked well.

Maybe or maybe not? Ben has the same experience as Slinger really when it comes to these things. Both are talented sailors so could well be who sails best on the day? Both have the training already IMO

@terrafirma The F50 controls and duties are different from what Ben used and did on AC50s, think sim time would be useful given Tom used them last year. 

Hey maybe Larry can get Elon to sponsor TeamUSA. Can get Tesla full self helming by Season 5, saving budget. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Live presentation now.

"You must log in to continue."

Nope.

12 minutes ago, RobG said:

"You must log in to continue."

Nope.

Ah ? sorry for that. For me it works on Facebook, try Youtube perhaps:

• Australia    2.60
  • Great Britain    3.50
  • Japan    4.50
  • France    11.00
  • USA    10.00
  • Spain    11.00
  • Denmark    18.00
  • Tabs issued odds for the circus. Big gap from the top 3 to the also rans. Not sure why Ben is on the second line, but may be they think being a one design, level playing field will enhance his chances. Will be curious to see how he goes. I actually don't see too many upsides for him, and a whole heap of down sides.
  • Like 1

Yup.

I'd still back Nathan over slinger, just needs a fair break..or shit not to break.

Ben under USA imho. He's done nothing notable lately other than hit docks.

46 minutes ago, barfy said:

He's done nothing notable lately other than hit docks.

If he craps out badly, the spin will be he's new to format etc, and nothing to do with his chances in the AC. If he goes well, it'll enhance his prospects in the AC and everything is on track. I think Slingers/Nathan will dominate, especially as it's their home turf, and Sydney Harbour is full of holes from the surrounding geography.

3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I think Slingers/Nathan will dominate, especially as it's their home turf, and Sydney Harbour is full of holes from the surrounding geography.

These guys will dominate. Sucks for nate to lose goobs tho..Big ???

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:
  • Australia    2.60
  • Great Britain    3.50
  • Japan    4.50
  • France    11.00
  • USA    10.00
  • Spain    11.00
  • Denmark    18.00
  • Tabs issued odds for the circus. Big gap from the top 3 to the also rans. Not sure why Ben is on the second line, but may be they think being a one design, level playing field will enhance his chances. Will be curious to see how he goes. I actually don't see too many upsides for him, and a whole heap of down sides.

I'm not savvy at all. Can I bet against Ben, like short him? That's the best odds there.

12 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Wrong thread, too late, what did you drink today ? :rolleyes:

Right thread, and frankly, I don't care about the timing. What did I drink? Steinlager...a real mans beer.

The Fact remains, the F50's can't handle the conditions the AC75's can. As stated by a current SailGP coach and Americas Cup coach. The F50's are crap and that proves it. What was that you just said?...Dalton was right when he said "they couldn't sail those cats in Auckland"

LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Right thread, and frankly, I don't care about the timing. What did I drink? Steinlager...a real mans beer.

The Fact remains, the F50's can't handle the conditions the AC75's can. As stated by a current SailGP coach and Americas Cup coach. The F50's are crap and that proves it. What was that you just said?...Dalton was right when he said "they couldn't sail those cats in Auckland"

LOL

Nor in SF in 24 kt. Not in the conditions that LR was bashing it in. True story, the AC50 won't tolerate sea state. Perfect lagoon boat

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Nor in SF in 24 kt. Not in the conditions that LR was bashing it in. True story, the AC50 won't tolerate sea state. Perfect lagoon boat

Welllll... Beach cat... Perhaps...

Funny to think F50 had been sold as a step on from AC50, yet the emperor's clothes have been revealed to be heavier antiquated control systems and poor performing also-ran teams' crappy second hand wings...and big differences in supposed one design boats...

It's basically the WWE of sailing now... Or perhaps more presciently the XFL of sailing... With cooked up contrived locker room controversies as if the players even gave a shit...

The sailing community don't give a fuck and sure as hell no one else does... What a waste...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Can I bet against Ben, like short him?

Ring a Bookie and ask him to give you odds for Ben finishing outside the top 3?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Welllll... Beach cat... Perhaps...

Funny to think F50 had been sold as a step on from AC50, yet the emperor's clothes have been revealed to be heavier antiquated control systems and poor performing also-ran teams' crappy second hand wings...and big differences in supposed one design boats...

It's basically the WWE of sailing now... Or perhaps more presciently the XFL of sailing... With cooked up contrived locker room controversies as if the players even gave a shit...

The sailing community don't give a fuck and sure as hell no one else does... What a waste...

I'm keen to watch the races on you tube, fast forward the drivel. Hope the breeze comes fur them!

12 hours ago, phill_nz said:

hard to see with a 7 mill budget pa

they can claim market value of 400 mill

Each team has a budget of $7 million for the season, that has nothing to do with the market value of SailGP itself. Trying to value of a business based solely on the operating budget of one part of it is like trying to work out the market value of a car only knowing services cost $1,000 pa. You have no idea of other costs, revenue, asset valuation, debitors, creditors, future contracts, etc.

Here's some of what the $7m covers:

$7m a year and that includes the contribution to the shared services, the leasing of the boat, any upgrades, maintenance. So we pool all of the resources so they don’t each have to carry spare parts and so on, so we remove that cost implication. We have to create cost efficiencies and create revenues. They have to be profitable and that is the only way this will be sustainable in the long term.
Russell Coutts: SailGP 2020 sound bites

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

LOL

The fact is the the F50 has been able to handle and race in last Cowes wind conditions that were above the AC75 wind limits.

As far as the sea conditions, the AC75 has the advantage of being heavier but the F50 small wing will make it even more seaworthy. Also, the F50 is stable in 10 kts of wind, tacks and pre start manoeuvres, which is not the case with the fondamentally unstable AC75.

FFS you lot. They are different boats.

Lasers and offshore boats can do things the others can't. Each is not necessarily better than the other, just different. Both part of the rich tapestry we call sailing.

I've been lucky enough to sail both (and many other types). I wish I had had the chance to enjoy both GP50 and AC75. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Well the ads all promise smash and crash thrills so that looks like it's not false advertising!

Someone quoted BA as saying SGP was the highest and best racing he's done. Well ask him about that after he wins the Prada and America's Cups. Oh, wait...

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Someone quoted BA as saying SGP was the highest and best racing he's done. Well ask him about that after he wins the Prada and America's Cups. Oh, wait...

Cough 2013

7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Cough 2013

2013 was huge, and thrilling (if not NZ) but I imagine it might be more fun to race a fleet of these things than grind for your life in a 72. The 72s were freaky, these seem a lot more sorted out. 

15 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

@terrafirma The F50 controls and duties are different from what Ben used and did on AC50s..

Thank goodness.

27 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well the ads all promise smash and crash thrills so that looks like it's not false advertising!

Recon he has a better read on it than you though ;-)
or are you another of those embedded  team members that Clean knows are here but won’t reveal themselves.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The fact is the the F50 has been able to handle and race in last Cowes wind conditions that were above the AC75 wind limits.

As far as the sea conditions, the AC75 has the advantage of being heavier but the F50 small wing will make it even more seaworthy. Also, the F50 is stable in 10 kts of wind, tacks and pre start manoeuvres, which is not the case with the fondamentally unstable AC75.

Are you sure? There was carnage in those conditions. Broken boats and injured crew. The racing wasn't good as the teams were surviving instead of racing. The boats couldn't handle it. 

Presti said the boats were incredibly stable. Forgive me if I believe him instead of you lol.

Let's not forget that it was in Cowes that the F50 officially became the fastest boat on the planet, both in practice and in a race. "Surviving instead of racing"? Really?

As usual, Four is completely incapable of any level of objectivity or truth whatsoever. Let him believe what he wants to believe. The facts just continue to prove him wrong over and over. Everyone sees that. He's got zero credibility. So, he's almost never worth the time - unless you're up for thumping someone on the nose to watch them tantrum around the room and bite the furniture while you sit back and sip your champagne.

24 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Let's not forget that it was in Cowes that the F50 officially became the fastest boat on the planet, both in practice and in a race. "Surviving instead of racing"? Really?

As usual, Four is completely incapable of any level of objectivity or truth whatsoever. Let him believe what he wants to believe. The facts just continue to prove him wrong over and over. Everyone sees that. He's got zero credibility. So, he's almost never worth the time - unless you're up for thumping someone on the nose to watch them tantrum around the room and bite the furniture while you sit back and sip your champagne.

^^LOL the irony

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Cough 2013

Didn't helm for the win. 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Recon he has a better read on it than you though ;-)
or are you another of those embedded  team members that Clean knows are here but won’t reveal themselves.. 

I wish.  ;)

BTW more drama, people understandably do still want to go to the Olympics 

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/02/27/outteridge-launches-appeal-over-sailing-non-selection/

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Didn't helm for the win. 

So you think anyone other than the helm is relatively unimportant and can't make a decision about whether a type of sailing is enjoyable?

That will come as a big surprise to almost half of dinghy sailors and the majority of big boat sailors.

I think it is pretty damn certain that Ben has a better idea than you (or indeed anyone else on this forum) about the relative merits of SGP and AC

24 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

So you think anyone other than the helm is relatively unimportant and can't make a decision about whether a type of sailing is enjoyable?

That will come as a big surprise to almost half of dinghy sailors and the majority of big boat sailors.

I think it is pretty damn certain that Ben has a better idea than you (or indeed anyone else on this forum) about the relative merits of SGP and AC

Look not intending to start a fight.  Did not say or mean to imply what was inferred. Just thinking apples to apples but happily stipulate you are correct and I suck.

Moving on...

PS I expect Ben will kick ass in the cats and expect him to win Prada with his team.  

Edited by NeedAClew
PS

21 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh.

giphy.gif

Thought you needed cheering up happy to play a part 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Thought you needed cheering up happy to play a part 

No offense - but that was for Four (see my earlier comment). Just watching him tantrum while waiting for the fun to begin this evening. Always an enjoyable way to pass the time.

I'll leave the circus to you.

That's actually pretty corny

"Welcome to SAIL GP MOTHERFUCKER! You're not used to this insane ACKSHUN!!!! (in the event you won last year)"

First race was today? Where is the fracking replay? Can't You Tube record it as it's streaming live so replays can be watched?

More great marketing from the world of sailing.

1 minute ago, Gumbercules said:

First race was today?

No, first race doesn't start for another 9 hours.  11:30PM EST

• Like 1

It's not on four ~8 hrs. 11pm ET USA

This was just the EXTREME PEDAL TO THE MEDAL PRAAACTICE!

(I do plan on watching and enjoy it, but cringe at some of the marketing)

3 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Anybody got Russell’s number need to give him a call re live coverage in the home of the Cup.

Sky sport 4

• Like 1

Jesus no wonder Sky is going down the drain.

Lots of swipping later find it 5.30-7.00.

Anybody know of a club or bar that will be showing it live.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sailgp-sky-sports-sailing-tv-rights-deal

I think US gets free live CBS for SF and NYC. Good thing to watch while we huddle at home.  

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-sailgp-is-using-iot-and-data-to-improve-performance/

What is new for SGP is near real time logo monitoring for those sponsor contracts. 

22 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Jesus no wonder Sky is going down the drain.

Lots of swipping later find it 5.30-7.00.

Anybody know of a club or bar that will be showing it live.

Just go to your favorite yacht club and ask them to put it on. 

44 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Anybody got Russell’s number need to give him a call re live coverage in the home of the Cup.

You'd think he'd want to build enthusiasm in the future home of his very own future SGP team. Sarcasm font. (The one with the Australian sailors. Double sarcasm font.) 

9 hours ago, RobG said:

Each team has a budget of $7 million for the season, that has nothing to do with the market value of SailGP itself. Trying to value of a business based solely on the operating budget of one part of it is like trying to work out the market value of a car only knowing services cost $1,000 pa. You have no idea of other costs, revenue, asset valuation, debitors, creditors, future contracts, etc.

ahh ok thats a different story to what i thought then

7 mill each makes a huge difference

and the logic is

budgets are tied to earning potential

earning potential has a fair bit to do with market value

14 hours ago, barfy said:

These guys will dominate. Sucks for nate to lose goobs tho..Big ???

Unfortunately, I think it will be huge.  Once Robertson (China) got a good main trimmer last year (Paul Campbell James), it looked like a whole new boat.

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Let's not forget that it was in Cowes that the F50 officially became the fastest boat on the planet,

quite some distance from the fastest on the planet

its the fastest race boat .. atm  

24 November 2012 Vestas Sailrocket 2 Paul Larsen AUS Walvis Bay, NAM knots 65.45[1] kph 121.1 mph 75.2 First record above 60 knots
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Which of this boat was racing ?

3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

sorry should i have step by stepped that

the ac50 is the fastest race boat ( atm ) .. but still quite some distance from the fastest sailboat

Just now, phill_nz said:

sorr

sorry should i have step by stepped that

the ac50 is the fastest race boat .. but still quite some distance from the fastest sailboat

Ah, when did the AC50 did  1) more than 50 kts ?  2) more than 50 kts during a race ?

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah, when did the AC50 did  1) more than 50 kts ?  2) more than 50 kts during a race ?

ac50 / f50 / read for both .. ( my mistake )

i just dont see much difference between them .. apart from they cant call it an ac boat anymore

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

ac50 / f50 / read for both .. ( my mistake )

i just dont see much difference between them .. apart from they cant call it an ac boat anymore

Correct, I understand.

The F50 is not an AC boat but holds the current highest recorded speed during a race. Let's see what the AC75 is up to. Some will tell that the most important is vmg, which is true too but more difficult to compare.

19 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Which of this boat was racing ?

It was racing kites, windsurfers and the clock. 

its a pretty crap DB program .. but sure go ahead

to be fair it matches the security and quality of flash, pdf and java

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phill_nz said:

24 November 2012 Vestas Sailrocket 2 Paul Larsen AUS Walvis Bay, NAM knots 65.45[1] kph 121.1 mph 75.2 First record above 60 knots

If you are planning on correcting every fact this person gets wrong it's going to be a long thread.

48 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Some will tell that the most important is vmg, which is true too but more difficult to compare.

VMG has its own issues: what do you measure it with respect to? I always think of it in terms of the mark because that's the one that really matters. When you're on the lay line heading to a mark VMG is 100% of boat speed, and less than 100% everywhere else.

If you want just VMG to windward, then different course layouts will lead to different VMG even in the same wind and current conditions. A square reach start at 55 kn will be 0 kn VMG (Paul Larsen might not be happy with that variant).

It might as well just be speed over ground averaged for 2, 5, 10 seconds or whatever (maybe all of the above) with a current correction. Even current isn't a simple plus or  minus: when going down wind, if a following current increases SOG, it will also reduce apparent wind and apparent wind angle so its effect isn't necessarily 100% of its value.

The really interesting statistic will be average speed for a race, as that should even out other influences (assuming they're more or less constant for the race). Let's see that hit 50 kn. ;-)

• Like 2

The 1st Circus act is starting in a few hours.

I am getting really excited to watch  the show, to see if nice guy Nicolai Sehested is now reinventing sailing after 2 Volvo's, and can beat a Spanish 470 youth champion.

Oh wait:

20200227_203828139.thumb.jpeg.a6650d26c5561630a0969763f08c6bfb.jpeg

No options for Fiji !  

WTF, perhaps 10 people in Fiji would like to watch it, and of course 100,000 youngsters as well, if there is no rugby.

Could it be that Trump's biggest arse licker, and Larry's personal arse wipe Wussell, read my rants on this thread, and decided to block me?

B)