Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

Its not my place to say. If you were relevant in the sailing would you would all ready know this info.

ETNZ are in the sailing world, and they don't even know if its true or not! If you can't back up your claims and walk your talk, its just that...talk, and it means nothing. If you can't walk your talk, shut up and don't say anything. Or at least stop using words like "confirmed" because its not.

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

If you were relevant in the sailing would you would all ready know this info.

Arse.

How long before the first regatta was superfoiler officially announced? Wasn't it in June 2017 for a first regatta in Feb 2018?

Target date for the first regatta is around Dec 2019 for the non-AC50's serie which mean they still have plenty of time to get arrangements done and announce it well in time. It is always preferable to have your product in a near-finished state before starting to sell it, so they are probably trying to have most teams, venues, broadcasts options figured out before any sort of official announcement.

15 hours ago, surfsailor said:

6 pages of being trolled by Sclarke (who is probably a Random sock)? And now a ‘serious’ discussion about the implications of his made up ‘email from ETNZ’?! Here’s the sum total of his ‘argument’ - someone contributes something, and then he denies it with some convoluted, long winded drooling. 

Yikes!

PS - hey Sclarke - while you’re on the horn with ETNZ, see if you can get the skinny on the next generation of VOR boats as well! 

talk about a sad sock...sad sailor has never posited any proof to any argument yet except his know all humility. no link, no pic, nothing but shit vacuum.

keep it up buddy.

oh, there was a pic of a wind surfer with a 10 degree windward heel that we were asked to not dismiss as a hallucination.

Back to the bong buddy

9 hours ago, Anon said:

@sclarke ETNZ most likely knows exactly what is happening buddy. Once again it isn't their place to say however, especially to you of all people!

Haha careful mate, its not your place to say what ETNZ "most likely" knows. This series is "Fake news"

On 5/12/2018 at 7:58 AM, Potter said:

Just because there has not been a press release doesn't negate the fact that these are facts. As someone who works in the industry, and is directly affected by the F50, a lot of that list is fact, it is just not announced. 

Red Bull and Alinghi both looked at entering teams, but declined for different reasons. As I understand it there will be 5 teams on the first start line in early 2019.

LE is funding almost all of the early events to get it up and running. It will be interesting to see how long he allows that to go on for. 

One of those teams has pulled the plug, but organizers will probably use the 5th boat as something of a trial horse/guest spot.  It is basically an RC-44 circuit (made up of RC44 alum owners) for big multihulls.  It will have great media and great hospitality at the beginning...but Larry will eventually do what he always does with his toys

1) Make a 3 or 4 year plan that looks amazing and sell it to a bunch of gullible sponsors and municipal employees and elected officials

2) Do lots of PR and spend a fortune on fireworks and stunts and design and banners and comms

3) Spare no expense for year 1 to produce something awesome

4) Pull back in year 2 when the inevitable happens and the numbers don't match expectations and the venues realize they're getting shafted

5) Cut budget to  'essentials only' in year 3 and see if anyone else will pick up the slack.

6) Kill it.

Still, it should be fun for a while, and who knows?  Maybe Kanye will get a ride and all of a sudden 100 million people will start watching cat racing.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Still, it should be fun for a while

"Fun for a while" is the best most of us can hope for. It's good enough for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

One of those teams has pulled the plug, but organizers will probably use the 5th boat as something of a trial horse/guest spot.  It is basically an RC-44 circuit (made up of RC44 alum owners) for big multihulls.  It will have great media and great hospitality at the beginning...but Larry will eventually do what he always does with his toys

1) Make a 3 or 4 year plan that looks amazing and sell it to a bunch of gullible sponsors and municipal employees and elected officials

2) Do lots of PR and spend a fortune on fireworks and stunts and design and banners and comms

3) Spare no expense for year 1 to produce something awesome

4) Pull back in year 2 when the inevitable happens and the numbers don't match expectations and the venues realize they're getting shafted

5) Cut budget to  'essentials only' in year 3 and see if anyone else will pick up the slack.

6) Kill it.

Still, it should be fun for a while, and who knows?  Maybe Kanye will get a ride and all of a sudden 100 million people will start watching cat racing.  

Is it not worth getting behind?
If the sailing media get behind it then it can only be good for the sport.
It has a better chance of inspiring kids to get out on the water than most other regattas.

43 minutes ago, MischiefBDA said:

It has a better chance of inspiring kids to get out on the water than most other regattas.

Is that the dream they sold to you last time? You're like Springfield and the Monorail. 

The "sailing media" is sadly the equivalent of "cross-stitch monthly". It has negligible impact on the world stage - the AC is rare exceptional beacon (for better or for worse) in our sport.  I know you are desperate for anything happening in Bermuda to be relevant, but this ain't it.

You may have scoffed at AC36 number of current entrants, but it's more than Bermuda will ever see again, meanwhile it's third time round for Auckland, so be careful where you aim your scorn.

So glass houses for you - Be sure to let us know when you have an actual team that secures your island the hosting rights without just being the most ahem "accommodating" option... ;-)

15 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Always great to have you contribute to the forum!

thanks numb nuts.

do let me know when the OD rule comes out for foil and rudder rake control systems, wing control, and wings.

3 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Is that the dream they sold to you last time? You're like Springfield and the Monorail. 

The "sailing media" is sadly the equivalent of "cross-stitch monthly". It has negligible impact on the world stage - the AC is rare exceptional beacon (for better or for worse) in our sport.  I know you are desperate for anything happening in Bermuda to be relevant, but this ain't it.

You may have scoffed at AC36 number of current entrants, but it's more than Bermuda will ever see again, meanwhile it's third time round for Auckland, so be careful where you aim your scorn.

So glass houses for you - Be sure to let us know when you have an actual team that secures your island the hosting rights without just being the most ahem "accommodating" option... ;-)

Would be vaguely relevant if my profile name was relevant to my nationality or place of residence. 
You're flinging your shit in the wrong direction bud.
Have another go x

7 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

1) No, why? Because everyone knows, if i does go ahead, it is for the wrong reasons.

2) Sadly, the sailing media is still very traditional.

3) Does it? Winning an Olympic medal and/ or the Americas Cup is what inspires kids to go sailing. 

2 hours ago, sclarke said:

1) No, why? Because everyone knows, if i does go ahead, it is for the wrong reasons.

2) Sadly, the sailing media is still very traditional.

3) Does it? Winning an Olympic medal and/ or the Americas Cup is what inspires kids to go sailing. 

Wasn't talking to you - you're a bore ..go away

7 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

Would be vaguely relevant if my profile name was relevant to my nationality or place of residence. 
You're flinging your shit in the wrong direction bud.
Have another go x

Fair enough...

My comments about sailing media still stand though...

So for better context for future discussions, where in the world do you reside/consider home?

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Another series being run ‘for the wrong reasons’  :D

https://www.sail-world.com/news/205370/Stars-converge-on-Lake-Garda-for-GC32-Worlds

Nope, the GC32 filled a vacant spot in the market. There was no foiling catamaran series It was the foiling catamaran series of its kind. The AC50 series would be just another foiling catamaran series. 

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Haha you guys crack me up! lol, The GC32 was created to do something that wasn't being done at the time. Fleet racing foiling catamarans. It succeeded in its objective, so much so that the organisers of the ESS saw the GC32 as attractive enough to use in their own series. Therefor, the reason for its existence was/ is absolutely the right reason. At the time they were working on adapting the X40 fleet to foiling, but adopted the GC32 instead. If this series decided to also use the GC32, then it would be a non-issue, but they're using former AC boats, boats from a vision that is long dead. 

18 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Fair enough...

My comments about sailing media still stand though...

So for better context for future discussions, where in the world do you reside/consider home?

Nomad :)

18 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It seems that nobody realized it NOT a Qwant, but Gonet, a new mono foiler that has been tested secretly until now.

https://www.adonnante.com/45084-lac-leman-prototype-bol-dor-2018-monofoil-gonet-un-voilier-novateur-sur-le-leman/

• lac-leman-bol-or-2018-banque-gonet-foils
    © Loris von Siebenthal
    © Loris von Siebenthal
    © Loris von Siebenthal
  •  

11 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

This has nothing to do with the GC32....

But everything to do with reasons for why different regattas should/ do exist.

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

But everything to do with reasons for why different regattas should/ do exist.

By that argument, you’re not needed and only exist out of spite. There’s already several village idiots here, so why are you trying so hard to be another?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

By that argument, you’re not needed and only exist out of spite. There’s already several village idiots here, so why are you trying so hard to be another?

Coming from a guy who talks a whole lot of crap and tries to call it fact, then wants everyone to believe him. Trump, is that you?

Coming from a guy who talks a whole lot of crap and tries to call it fact, then wants everyone to believe him. Trump, is that you?

Thanks for making my point. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Thanks for making my point. 

I don't think even you know what your point was, but anyway, no worries.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

It seems that nobody realized it NOT a Qwant, but Gonet, a new mono foiler that has been tested secretly until now.

https://www.adonnante.com/45084-lac-leman-prototype-bol-dor-2018-monofoil-gonet-un-voilier-novateur-sur-le-leman/

© Loris von Siebenthal
    © Loris von Siebenthal
    © Loris von Siebenthal
  •  

Back to Gonet, it confirms what my swiss friends told me about 6 months ago, that they trained secretly on mono foilers. You can also not that their foils could look like half of the AC75 foil, the upper part.

That said, the boat does not look to be so fast downwind, otherwise they would not need their big code 0. Even smaller the much smaller Flying Phantom has smaller and flatter gennaker. The speed with the jib, probably upwind, seems more interesting.

I am very interested to see the AC75 flying but I still think any smaller multi will smoke it.

And now let's wait for clarkey well informed comment...

24 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I am very interested to see the AC75 flying but I still think any smaller multi will smoke it.

And?? Whats your point? 

28 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I was waiting for your always well informed comments, it did not take long :)

Well, you asked. Again, to what do I owe the pleasure? Do you have a point? Or are you wasting my (and your) time?...again

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yep :D

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yep :D

Figures. If we're going to waste time, we might as well talk about "Larrys AC50 circus" because 1) Its the topic of this thread, and 2) Its also a huge waste of time :)

6 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Figures. If we're going to waste time, we might as well talk about "Larrys AC50 circus" because 1) Its the topic of this thread, and 2) Its also a huge waste of time :)

Clarkey any press release ?

10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Clarkey any press release ?

Nope. I talked to a guy the other day from the deep state who told me that. But just believe me, even though I have no evidence what so ever, I know this for a fact, so you should just believe Me.

3 hours ago, nav said:

Check out Clause 34 ANTI-AMBUSH OBLIGATIONS

specifically 34.3 Ambush Regatta

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8BTnNO2cz5Dc1Jfb25DazRyM2s/view

:lol:

"A competitor means defender or challenger as the context requires"

"A challenger means a yacht club that has been accepted"

So RNZYS prohibits YC from having more than one team and one yacht and prevents them from participating to other possibly competing regatta.

That is like if GLS had forbidden any challenger to compete in any other event. What crap. It makes GGYC look good.

But you know what, the AC50 does not compete with the AC. :D

^

How is RNZYS prohibiting a Challenger to have more than one AC boat? 2 boats are allowed, but they're not allowed to sail at the same time. Sounds similar to the GGYC protocol for AC34 and 35 (?).

Please let us know when a challenging YC had more than one team in the regatta.

During the GGYC ACs challengers needed permission to take part in other regattas (not 100% sure about the wording, but if I'm wrong, someone hereabouts will certainly let me know). In the RNZYS protocol, these regattas are at least qualified.

The above criticism of the RNZYS protocol is silly, forced and far-fetched. It is neither worse nor better than the previous ones. The latter is the actual issue.

8 hours ago, Anon said:

Know what for a fact matey?

Now you're getting it...

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

^

1) How is RNZYS prohibiting a Challenger to have more than one AC boat? 2 boats are allowed, but they're not allowed to sail at the same time. Sounds similar to the GGYC protocol for AC34 and 35 (?).

2) Please let us know when a challenging YC had more than one team in the regatta.

During the GGYC ACs challengers needed permission to take part in other regattas (not 100% sure about the wording, but if I'm wrong, someone hereabouts will certainly let me know). In the RNZYS protocol, these regattas are at least qualified.

3) The above criticism of the RNZYS protocol is silly, forced and far-fetched. It is neither worse nor better than the previous ones. The latter is the actual issue.

1) Yes, 2 boats but with one year difference, which makes it impossible for two teams. The AC is supposed to be about YCs, not teams

2) Why do you limit that to challengers ? NYYC had different teams

3) The above criticism comes because we all heard that it would be different and better. In fact it's the same or worse, at least on some aspects. You are wrong to say that the there is nothing worse, with the competitor forum Larry and Ernesto had done better.

I agree however on the venue and the choice of the boat.

The anti ambush regatta article tells that competitors can ask for the authorization, it will be interesting to see if it's tested.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

What does the ‘F’ stand for in the rumored ‘F50’ Class name.

"Fail"

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

What does the ‘F’ stand for in the rumored ‘F50’ Class name. ‘Flying’?

"Fake"

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

“Foregone”

18 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Back to Gonet, it confirms what my swiss friends told me about 6 months ago, that they trained secretly on mono foilers. You can also not that their foils could look like half of the AC75 foil, the upper part.

That said, the boat does not look to be so fast downwind, otherwise they would not need their big code 0. Even smaller the much smaller Flying Phantom has smaller and flatter gennaker. The speed with the jib, probably upwind, seems more interesting.

And now let's wait for clarkey well informed comment...

And no tacks in the video's.  Very telling 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Fifty

As in Fifty/50 chance of sailing again...Ever

10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Formula 50, Flying 50.

But also, Free 50, Formidable 50, Fascinating 50, Flabbergasting 50 :)

I would agree that its like F for formula like F1...

Either that or its named after the progenitor himself... you know... old Fuckface...

5 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

I would agree that its like F for formula like F1...

Either that or its named after the progenitor himself... you know... old Fuckface...

^^ We agree on Formula I think !

21 hours ago, See Level said:

Fifty

As in Fifty/50 chance of sailing again...Ever

Funded 50

Ernesto Bertarelli (coming from anther thread but relevant to this one):

"Come on, now the Cup is a game for architects and engineers, with sailors in the background. And with the risk of investing a huge sum in a very high boat.

"One could see the previous Cup had a direction to follow. You could spend the same amount to develop the project, but with less risk of making a mistake. Take the British and Ben Ainslie in the last Cup: the best sailor in the world, but had a wrong boat. Game over". 

Bertarelli confirmed he would have returned to the America's Cup for the next regatta had the foiling catamarans been retained.

"Yes, I would have participated. Switzerland now also has sailors to do it without problems of nationality rules. Changing boats has lost at least two teams, one is Alinghi (the other, Sweden's Artemis Racing). They would have had six from the beginning. And it would have been easy to go up to eight."

The question is to know if he  instead participates to the AC50 event...

On 5/30/2018 at 3:14 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

"Come on, now the Cup is a game for architects and engineers, with sailors in the background. And with the risk of investing a huge sum in a very high boat.

"One could see the previous Cup had a direction to follow. You could spend the same amount to develop the project, but with less risk of making a mistake. Take the British and Ben Ainslie in the last Cup: the best sailor in the world, but had a wrong boat. Game over". 

Bertarelli confirmed he would have returned to the America's Cup for the next regatta had the foiling catamarans been retained.

"Yes, I would have participated. Switzerland now also has sailors to do it without problems of nationality rules. Changing boats has lost at least two teams, one is Alinghi (the other, Sweden's Artemis Racing). They would have had six from the beginning. And it would have been easy to go up to eight."

Are Alinghi in the XSS or the GC32 this year?

^^nothing official yet, but Dalton has confirmed via Sail World NZ, that everyone is back from last time. Roles are TBC.

^^nothing official yet, but Dalton has confirmed via Sail World NZ, that everyone is back from last time. Roles are TBC.

Good to know the village idiot is on top of things!

Spoiled rich kid having a tantrum....ignore the sad sack - if he thought cat's in the AC was such a brilliant idea, what has he been doing sucking his thump through the last 2 editions?

And zero acknowledgement of ETNZ's role in the foiling development he thinks so much of

Then

America's Cup now a game for engineers, I won't be there (again)....

followed by

I’m part of a group of owners, on Lake Geneva, who are building a 35’ catamaran with T-foils and a computer run flight controller – it’s going to be fantastic. We’re only at the beginning, there is a huge margin for development.” 

:lol:

as for this, well let's hope it was just 'lost in translation'

they would like to get on the flying catamarans like the Moths and then the Nacra 15. 

Waaaaaa!....back to the lake

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Good to know the village idiot is on top of things!

So you're on top of things?

15 minutes ago, sclarke said:

So you're on top of things?

Damn. I just don’t know how to respond to such an intellectually thought out response. I’ll consult my five year old nephew for advice. 

19 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Damn. I just don’t know how to respond to such an intellectually thought out response. I’ll consult my five year old nephew for advice. 

About time! While you're at it, consult your 5 year old nephew for life advice too.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

And when, pray tell, has the America's Cup ever been anything else other than a design contest first (architects and engineers) Mr Bertarelli?

Whether all the way back when challengers like Dunraven, Sopwith and Lipton had to race an inferior inshore design because they had to sail across the Atlantic to get there or when it was BenBob's keel and Schnakenberg''s sails against Connor's 3 rating certificates or the cyclors in the last edition the America's Cup has always been a design competition first.

If in doubt he should read "An Absorbing Interest" (he can afford a copy) where he would see that the AC, right back to when it was "The One Hundred Pound Cup" has been as much about innovative design as anything else. 

And as far as his comments about changes losing two teams well it wouldn't be the first time and wont be the last and would the NYYC, guardians of the damn thing for 132 years  have come back to play if it hadn't reverted to a monohull.

Nah - wasn't what he wanted so he has to blame someone!

SS

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

And when, pray tell, has the America's Cup ever been anything else other than a design contest first (architects and engineers) Mr Bertarelli?

Whether all the way back when challengers like Dunraven, Sopwith and Lipton had to race an inferior inshore design because they had to sail across the Atlantic to get there or when it was BenBob's keel and Schnakenberg''s sails against Connor's 3 rating certificates or the cyclors in the last edition the America's Cup has always been a design competition first.

If in doubt he should read "An Absorbing Interest" (he can afford a copy) where he would see that the AC, right back to when it was "The One Hundred Pound Cup" has been as much about innovative design as anything else. 

And as far as his comments about changes losing two teams well it wouldn't be the first time and wont be the last and would the NYYC, guardians of the damn thing for 132 years  have come back to play if it hadn't reverted to a monohull.

Nah - wasn't what he wanted so he has to blame someone!

SS

Hard to be reasonable with the AC33 cheat with his fake Challenger CNEV...

It's a bummer EB isn't coming out to play as all competitions benefit from a pantomime villain. It would be easier to dismiss his points were it not for other former teams staying away, notably Artemis. Of course the AC is a design competition and a sailing competition and there's a spectrum of possible emphasis there. AC35 pushed it towards sailing competition and most seem to think that worked out well, albeit the fastest boat won anyway. AC36 is firmly emphasising the design aspect and in that EB is correct,.

^ So once they are designed, sailing skill will play no part....good to know. There was me thinking these might be about the trickiest things since the first log.

So they can just take volunteers off the dock before each race - think of the savings!

7 hours ago, Indio said:

Hard to be reasonable with the AC33 cheat with his fake Challenger CNEV...

Well he lost that one and in retrospect the Chinese Challenge (China Team by Le Defi) from Qingdao International Yacht Club which was formed (the club that is) 5 days before the challenge was announced and when the club had no members, no boats and had never run a race, let alone "a regatta on an arm of the sea" so CNEV wasn't the first time disregard was shown for the deed of gift by Mr Berteralli or his representatives.

There was  actually had a totally Deed of Gift compliant challenge from Shanghai which withdrew at 1545 (Swiss time)  on the final day for entry because although the entry money was secured the club and team were not 100% certain of raising enough finds to do justice to the club, the team or - and most of all The Cup. I was told that had the challenge not been withdrawn then China Team's entry would not have been accepted. Kind of says it all how desperate they were for an entry for China. And how did they do? They were not just last, they were very last and in the process did a disservice to the development of sailing here.

Having said that, his Coutts/Butterworth challenge WAS a class act.

SS

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

It's a bummer EB isn't coming out to play as all competitions benefit from a pantomime villain. It would be easier to dismiss his points were it not for other former teams staying away, notably Artemis. Of course the AC is a design competition and a sailing competition and there's a spectrum of possible emphasis there. AC35 pushed it towards sailing competition and most seem to think that worked out well, albeit the fastest boat won anyway. AC36 is firmly emphasising the design aspect and in that EB is correct,.

Quadrilateral jibs through metal masts and electonics to winged keels, if not seen for the first time on AC boats certainly had their development enhanced or accelerated. Some designs were improvements and other not quite so (thinking of Mariner there which reportedly led to the Ted Turner statement that "Even a turd is tapered")

SS

5 hours ago, Anon said:

"Core Builders Composites Ltd are seeking applicants for a Grand Prix yacht racing program"

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/36396679?type=standard

I wonder what this could be @sclarke probably just an Optimist racing programme job right?

This listing is awesome. You gotta know really technical shit related to electrical/electronics for auto racing and the military ... but training is available. I'd like to know what kind of training the person who meets all the qualifications needs?!? Where to find the loo? 

-Electrical/Electronics knowledge (preferable)

-Testing and fault finding of wiring harnesses, electrical and electronics components

-Knowledge in Raychem systems and manufacturing of motorsport looms to a high standard

-Ability to work with Autosport and military connectors and harnesses

-The ability to work under pressure is essential

-Must be dedicated, hardworking and willing to learn where necessary

Training can be given on site

12 hours ago, Anon said:

"Core Builders Composites Ltd are seeking applicants for a Grand Prix yacht racing program"

I wonder what this could be @sclarke probably just an Optimist racing programme job right?

Could it be this?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/central-north-island/sport/sport-region-6459/104391468/Team-New-Zealand-are-building-their-own-boats-for-the-first-time

"Core Builder Composites, the Warkworth-based company owned by Larry Ellison's Oracle Racing, made hardware for all of the teams in the last America's Cup, including the Kiwis. Shoebridge says Team NZ hopes to involve Core Builders in this edition as well"

Could it be this?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/central-north-island/sport/sport-region-6459/104391468/Team-New-Zealand-are-building-their-own-boats-for-the-first-time

"Core Builder Composites, the Warkworth-based company owned by Larry Ellison's Oracle Racing, made hardware for all of the teams in the last America's Cup, including the Kiwis. Shoebridge says Team NZ hopes to involve Core Builders in this edition as well"

And why not? All part of the economic benefits of the AC, generating GST and PAYE and jobs..

Off thread but anyway

Am in a sports bar in Seattle and at least half the big screens are on what looks to be the Clipper around the world race? A touch too much people-personal but much of this is actually gorgeous.

Nice production quality, it’s surprising me.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:23 AM, Anon said:

Several new details get focus in TE’s segment starting around 35’ in.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/06/19/TWT-Watch-a-replay-of-this-weeks-Tuesdays-with-TFE-live-webcast

TWT: Details of the Ellison/Coutts F50 pro-sail circuit revealed on this week's 'Tuesdays with TFE' live webcast; watch a replay

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO (#1028) – Watch a replay of our weekly Sailing Illustrated yacht racing news and views webcast, Tuesday's with TFE for June 19, 2018, with a world exclusive on plans for the new F50 pro-sail circuit being organized by Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts to begin in 2019. 

Great to see Stingray and thanks to Tom Ehman.  I'd love to see this.  

So here are the proposed teams for the F50's per Tom:

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  3. NZL or China - Craig Monk
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Stan Honey will be involved in the TV to take it to the next level.

Other details:

• 10 boat rehab / build and logistics led by Mark Turner.  
  • Crew of 5 with electric power, reduction of 1 person compared to the AC.
  • $5M entry fee, boat delivered for use "concierge" style at each event.  No mods allowed.
  • Teams could make money with share of media rights.
  • Events possible in Sydney, Europe, Bermuda, San Francisco, and elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

• $5M entry fee, boat delivered for use "concierge" style at each event.  No mods allowed.

There was a time when this was sounding like a sailing equivalent of the FIA's Masters Historic Formula One Championship which would have been intersting, but once you start getting a turnkey package and "concierge service" (vomit) it really is just the sailing equivalent of the Ferrari Challenge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Challenge. The difference here, is that the rich dicks paying their way into a fake championship aren't even getting to drive the things.

This is sounding less compelling every time I hear more about it...

Ironic that EB/Alinghi isn't part of this as buying your way into contention is par for the course for him, and he does actually get onboard the boats - would have thought this would be perfect - with the exception of lacking any meaning, which is one thing he *does* appear to care about.

The list reads basically as the AC's "unemployables" - also not sure why the teams are classified by country, as evidenced by that list it's even more meaningless than in AC, and frankly it makes no difference to the comp - just let them be franchises like other pro sports.

4 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

Cool post - Perfect summary. 

40 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Should this be on the trickle down thread?

Maybe in the ‘Sclarke is a big F’ing dumbass’ thread?  ;D

The analogy that TE drew to the developmement and growth of LE’s privately funded Indian Wells Tennis Tournament was, I thought, well illustrative of LE’s power to develop things he intends to make happen.

28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Maybe in the ‘Sclarke is a big F’ing dumbass’ thread?  ;D

The analogy that TE drew to the developmement and growth of LE’s privately funded Indian Wells Tennis Tournament was, I thought, well illustrative of LE’s power to develop things he intends to make happen.

Piss off mate. When Ehman shot his mouth off about the Super 12's he stated he had teams signed up, builders contracted to build his boats, he had sponsors, TV contracts etc and it was all go, and where did that end up? nowhere that's where.

6 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

I would also hope for foils with flaps and a reefable wing.

38 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Piss off mate. When Ehman shot his mouth off about the Super 12's he stated he had teams signed up, builders contracted to build his boats, he had sponsors, TV contracts etc and it was all go, and where did that end up? nowhere that's where.

Regardless that back-when Super 12’s effort? This is not a TE effort. 

It is, despite your often apoplectic denials of the feasibility of this coming F50 series, a pretty big deal with $Billionaire power to ensure that it happens.

You lose this argument. Have you got a better one?

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Regardless that back-when Super 12’s effort? This is not a TE effort. 

It is, despite your often apoplectic denials of the feasibility of this coming F50 series, a pretty big deal with $Billionaire power to ensure that it happens.

You lose this argument. Have you got a better one?

Quite how big a deal it is (or will be) remains to be seen. The presence of billionaires is negligible in and of itself.