• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

2019 Ford Mustang Bullit

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he said the valves were bigger..  better flow..  whatever the reason, that car was fast..  dickie was a true motorhead...  he was definitely taking it over to the airfield to gas it up..

Windsor valves & ports were smaller than Clevelands and the Windsor valve layout didn't breathe as well.

Windsor heads were inferior in every way to Clevelands except maybe bottom end torque.

The Windsor block is actually stronger then the Cleveland block. The C heads, as pointed out earlier, flow substantially better than W heads. The 2V C heads with their smaller ports and valves are better for most street applications than the 4V C heads.

Some savvy guys would put C heads on a W block, hence the Clevor. Not a bolt on project but doable.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

The Windsor block is actually stronger then the Cleveland block. The C heads, as pointed out earlier, flow substantially better than W heads. The 2V C heads with their smaller ports and valves are better for most street applications than the 4V C heads.

Some savvy guys would put C heads on a W block, hence the Clevor. Not a bolt on project but doable.

Yep, the 4v heads had ports to big for NASCAR evidently. The stock car boys would fill and smooth the ports.  Ford really went whole hog on the boss motor.

I've heard the Aussie 2V Cleveland heads have a superior combustion chamber design and plenty of meat to port the runners. Supposedly the hot ticket.

I had a chance to buy a clean '70 ( I think) Cougar with a 351C 2V and 4 speed.

It would have taken all of my resources, including beer,  weed and condom money, to purchase so I passed. Damn.

13 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I've heard the Aussie 2V Cleveland heads have a superior combustion chamber design and plenty of meat to port the runners. Supposedly the hot ticket.

It would have taken all of my resources, including beer,  weed and condom money, to purchase so I passed. Damn.

all I know is he spent a lot of time openning the ports on the intake and polishing the heck out of them..   he's somewhere up in the NE or I'd ask what he did..

14 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I never knew all the details of the motor back in the day. Google gives a lot of info from Ford groups, Mustang groups etc. Until this thread I was unaware that the windsor and cleveland blocks were completely different and incompatable.

On 3/20/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ed Lada said:

A 5 liter, 475 hp, V8; 6 on the floor, top speed a little over 160 mph.

Top speed of 160 mph?  Meh.

I do like the John Wick version:

69a13d2e2c2b42fb13e81223bf47c0e6.jpg

14 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Electronically limited.

And easily overcome.

19 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Top speed of 160 mph?  Meh.

I don't want to drive a Mustang at 160 let alone faster, even in a straight line with no traffic.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Electronically limited.

That’s why I currently love Ford. They basically went open source to the tuner shops. That limit goes away in five minutes. They’re one of the most friendly ECU’s to play with. 

On 4/3/2018 at 11:53 PM, warbird said:

On 4/3/2018 at 9:36 AM, Autonomous said:

Friend Gary had one of these ...  69 eliminator with the 351 cleveland..  but  if I remember correctly he had an auto.. 

001-wyrwas-1970-mercury-cougar-boss-elim

Most Cougars did - shifting gears was for the proles in Mustangs - Cougars were for gentlemen.

Henry The Deuce drove a Highland Green Cougar at one point.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Most Cougars did - shifting gears was for the proles in Mustangs - Cougars were for gentlemen.

Henry The Deuce drove a Highland Green Cougar at one point.

Hell my father bought a new '65 Ford Galaxie 500.  It had a 351 V8, auto trans and a 2 bbl carb.  In other words, your basic box with a V8.  It looked like this one, except shinier.

1965 Ford Galaxie 500, 4 door - Runs and drives great - V8, 289 Automatic, image 1

As ugly as the Galaxie was, in retrospect it looked better than our previous family car, a 1960 Ford Fairlane 500 like the one below.  Robin's egg blue is not a color that looks good with rust and after 5 years of winters and road salt, our Fairlane had rusted pretty badly and it looked even worse.

Related image

12 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Hell my father bought a new '65 Ford Galaxie 500.  It had a 351 V8, auto trans and a 2 bbl carb.  In other words, your basic box with a V8.  It looked like this one, except shinier.

As ugly as the Galaxie was, in retrospect it looked better than our previous family car, a 1960 Ford Fairlane 500 like the one below.  Robin's egg blue is not a color that looks good with rust and after 5 years of winters and road salt, our Fairlane had rusted pretty badly and it looked even worse.

Dad had a '70 galaxy 500,  351 windsor v8,with the cruis-o-matic 3 speed,  cop car blue, like the one below..  he sold it for some dumb reason, I should have grabbed it instead..

i101193.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Dad had a '70 galaxy 500,  351 windsor v8, cop car blue, like the one below..  he sold it for some dumb reason, I should have grabbed it instead..

i101193.jpg

My father had the Galaxie (that's how Ford decided to spell it) until he bought a new 1972 Plymouth Fury II, which didn't look too bad.  He sold the Ford to my brother for $500.  Less than a year later some guy rear ended my brother at a red light.  The back end was at about a 45 degree angle to the ground.  The car was so rusty that the frame  cracked and the car a total loss.  It wouldn't surprise me if the motor sold quickly at the junkyard, it was in decent shape

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

1965 Ford Galaxie 500, 4 door - Runs and drives great - V8, 289 Automatic, image 1

No he didn't - the 351's weren't built until '70.

289 or 390 and if you were an astronaut they'd build one for you with a SOHC 427 :blink: (Alan Bean IIRC).

Those made one of the best looking convertibles of that era IMO.

image.png.d14af18fa52c35dd0b6ba9bc1dd6585c.png

My old man had a '65 Impala SS 327 convert that I learned to drive on. Great high school cruiser in a beach town.

Exactly like this one.

image.png.12aa52ec3b35a13d798e31ada4cadd93.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Related image

Motor would have been 352 cu in. Forerunner to the FE. I have only seen one 406 FE.. It was in a La Darra (DaLarra?) 60's kit car

When I was growing up in Miami in the early 70s, dad picked this up used from a client who needed money and sold it cheap.

1971_Cadillac_Coupe_Deville_(17).jpg

It was a 1970 something De ville, but I don't recall the year and it was in nowhere as nice a condition as this one.  I remember dad spending a lot of time in the garage working on it.  He was a lawyer by day and a gearhead at night.

He and mom then lost their minds in the late 70s and had a series of shitbox cars that supposedly got better gas mileage.  I'm hugely embarrassed to say at one point we owned a Gremlin and an Pacer.  I actually learned to drive on the Pacer - manual 3 speed on the column shifter.  What an absolute piece of junk!

He later came to his senses and picked up a used Impala SS 327 like the one in sloop's post #221, but a sedan rather than a convertible.  He had that during my Jr and Sr year in HS.  The deal was I could drive it to go on dates provided I kept up my GPA.  I graduated with a 4.0 and routinely proved the Impala was a pussy wagon.  :D

22 hours ago, warbird said:

Motor would have been 352 cu in. Forerunner to the FE. I have only seen one 406 FE.. It was in a La Darra (DaLarra?) 60's kit car

I saw a 406 with three deuces as a kid. All the older teens were making a big deal over it.

I traded a '76 CJ5 for a '69 Cadillac Calias. It was the best thing ever for my sex life as the back seat was... somewhat bigger.

I stored a blanket under the seat to keep bodily fluids off the upholstery. That blanket got so crisp you could pick it up by the corner like a potato chip.

While I'm not a Cadillac fan, I always thought the Eldorado convertibles were nice looking and some times gorgeous like this 1972 model.

1978 Cadillac Eldorado

45 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I traded a '76 CJ5 for a '69 Cadillac Calias. It was the best thing ever for my sex life as the back seat was... somewhat bigger.

I stored a blanket under the seat to keep bodily fluids off the upholstery. That blanket got so crisp you could pick it up by the corner like a potato chip.

That soundes ransidde, juste caulle it 'emergecey blacket', we no what thet meanes.                      :)

On 4/7/2018 at 4:42 PM, Ed Lada said:

While I'm not a Cadillac fan, I always thought the Eldorado convertibles were nice looking and some times gorgeous like this 1972 model.

1978 Cadillac Eldorado

Needs steer horns on the hood.....

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, Ed Lada said:

1978 Cadillac Eldorado

drove something that almost had as big a hood..

76dodge67571-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 4:24 PM, Point Break said:

Man......you guys are lucky to have Dad's with such cool cars. We had this.............

68ce5e362518f6d6b247d3e1aeb2e6af.jpg

Dude, your family had a '68 Country Squire?  You musta come from the swank side of the tracks, we had a '68 Ranch Wagon - no woody treatment, vinyl seats, metal back, and cop hub caps!  Only good news was the 390 Thunderbird under the hood.  Handed down to me when I turned 16 in 1978, ran for about 2 months with a punk on the loud pedal, floor and trunk were rusted out, used a quart of oil every 125 miles, but still burnt out those whitewalled bias plys pretty sweet in the school lot!

I saw a convertible Eldo with horns on the hood, top down, pulling a single horse trailer down l 40 the other day. Stylin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

Needs steer horns on the hood.....

Needs a big circle with an H in it on the hood.

image.png.fb5e4c36693a74806ec14fefddaf3f35.png

Cars were just a tad larger in those days.  I had a friend in college in the '70s that had an old Caddy Coupe de Ville.  He said he liked a big car because he liked to drink and drive and he wanted a lot of metal around him in anticipation of the inevitable accident.  He was a pragmatic kind of guy.

3 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Dude, your family had a '68 Country Squire?  You musta come from the swank side of the tracks, we had a '68 Ranch Wagon - no woody treatment, vinyl seats, metal back, and cop hub caps!  Only good news was the 390 Thunderbird under the hood.  Handed down to me when I turned 16 in 1978, ran for about 2 months with a punk on the loud pedal, floor and trunk were rusted out, used a quart of oil every 125 miles, but still burnt out those whitewalled bias plys pretty sweet in the school lot!

It was an upgrade from the Ford Falcon (with the wood panel sides as well) we drove cross country 4 times!! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

It was an upgrade from the Ford Falcon (with the wood panel sides as well) we drove cross country 4 times!! :lol:

Your name wouldn't be Griswold by any chance?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Deservedly so.

Bite me, round bacon boy.  You're just jealous you didn't have one and couldn't drive around singing Bohemian Rhapsody with your friends.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Cars were just a tad larger in those days.  I had a friend in college in the '70s that had an old Caddy Coupe de Ville.  He said he liked a big car because he liked to drink and drive and he wanted a lot of metal around him in anticipation of the inevitable accident.  He was a pragmatic kind of guy.

With a big car like that, you have lots of back seat room to toss empties, Hundreds of miles between garbage stops. Hit someone, the mess is way out there infront of you. 

I didn't like having to use the hood ornament as a steering indicator.

I think it was supposed to be some kind of "silver" color from the factory.

, but oxidized enough the red primer was showing ,,

:) I called it "Syphilitic Gray"

NO shocks and a manual choke, 

, at  red light , pull a little choke & pump brakes.

without moving the front end would "float" up & down with the brake.

Back seat was plenty big.

Some good choices here, plus several appearances by Jeremy Clarkson.  It isn't  a Top Gear video.

It’s funny reading how nostalgic you old farts are about heavy old engines. So many examples posted so far would be utterly embarrassed by my cute little 1.6 liter 4 banger. 

I’ll admit, the old V-8’s sounded better. 

20 hours ago, Monkey said:

It’s funny reading how nostalgic you old farts are about heavy old engines. So many examples posted so far would be utterly embarrassed by my cute little 1.6 liter 4 banger. 

It is kinda like enjoying Farrah Fawcett. Along comes some nubile little thing with pink hair,  piercings and tattoos everywhere (i mean everywhere). She might be intriguing but I am not going to test drive her.

20 hours ago, Monkey said:

I presume your little 4 has been compressed to hand grenade levels?

That said, there is no question that this is the golden age of performance cars - wheelstands from showroom stock cars?

Any number of 500+ HP cars available and gas mileage to boot.

Rude & crude doth have it's charms though. :D

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

It is kinda like enjoying Farrah Fawcett. Along comes some nubile little thing with pink hair,  piercings and tattoos everywhere (i mean everywhere). She might be intriguing but I am not going to test drive her.

Although I hate tattoos and piercings, I happen to like my little punk chick of a car!  It’s hard to complain about 320+ hp at the wheels, while still getting 35 mpg on the highway in a 2700 lb. car. 

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I presume your little 4 has been compressed to hand grenade levels?

That said, there is no question that this is the golden age of performance cars - wheelstands from showroom stock cars?

Any number of 500+ HP cars available and gas mileage to boot.

Rude & crude doth have it's charms though. :D

You’re absolutely correct. The poor thing runs 26 pounds of boost. However, it’s done 40,000 miles so far with that setup, and it’s happy as can be. (Almost a thousand of those have been thrashing it on a track)

Don’t get me wrong, I love a big V8. I was just giving Warbird shit. (He’s a friend of mine)

On 4/7/2018 at 2:14 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

When I was growing up in Miami in the early 70s, dad picked this up used from a client who needed money and sold it cheap.

1971_Cadillac_Coupe_Deville_(17).jpg

A rough version was semipermanently parked on the outside curve of a road when I was a new driver.   Always wanted to buy it and paint a brick wall mural on its side.  

3 hours ago, warbird said:

I might be interested depending on what the subjects of the tattoos were.   

15 hours ago, Monkey said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love a big V8. I was just giving Warbird shit. (He’s a friend of mine)

Having admitted that, you might be condemned on these pages evermore. Prepare for downticks.:lol:

1 hour ago, warbird said:

Having admitted that, you might be condemned on these pages evermore. Prepare for downticks.:lol:

The monkey is a marked man for sure.  Guilt by association.

5 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

:o

I know. It’s amazing what some modern engines can take. Even on the factory tune, it makes 23. I remember all the troubles I went through just with 5 on my old Subaru. 

7 hours ago, warbird said:

To be fair, you’re much less of an asshole when you’re away from the internet!  

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

But is he less ignorant? ;)

I wonder the same about you. Leave the PA shit in PA. 

Edit:  We’re talking cars here. Let’s stick to that. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I know. It’s amazing what some modern engines can take. Even on the factory tune, it makes 23. I remember all the troubles I went through just with 5 on my old Subaru. 

Is that psi or psia?

47 minutes ago, Monkey said:

What the hell is psia?

PSI is commonly used and refers to pressure above atmosphere. PSIA is a more technical term and referenced from zero pressure(vacuum) . Because autos operate at different altitudes, PSIA is commonly used in boosted autos.  23 psia is approx 1.6 atmospheres. 23psi is or 38 psia. 38 is pretty high. The mighty 80's Honda 1.5 liter 1200 hp F1 cars  ran roughly 4 atmospheres or 58 psia or 44psi.

7 minutes ago, warbird said:

PSI is commonly used and refers to pressure above atmosphere. PSIA is a more technical term and referenced from zero pressure(vacuum) . Because autos operate at different altitudes, PSIA is commonly used in boosted autos.  23 psi is approx 1.6 atmospheres or 38 psia. 38 is pretty high. The mighty 80's Honda 1.5 liter 1200 hp F1 cars  ran roughly 4 atmospheres or 58 psia or 44psi.

This is why I stick to the computer side of these things. I’m going on PSI. 

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

This is why I stick to the computer side of these things. I’m going on PSI. 

kPa or mm Hg are nice too.

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

kPa or mm Hg are nice too.

Really technical terms are too hard to remember!

Did not know about PSIA.    I assume it is used in aircraft for the same reason?    

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Did not know about PSIA.    I assume it is used in aircraft for the same reason?    

I learned that tidbit in high altitude radar, we pressurized waveguide to 7 or 8 psia. I think that was 50,000 feet. A problem arose when the aircraft descended below 50,00o and the RF wave guides went ambient negative.

1 hour ago, Lark said:

We easily fall into 14.7 psia as a norm 0.0 psi.

2 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

I guess I really am a dinosaur,, 

^_^  I   thought of  a very mildly boosted Ford 300 cu in straight six would make a pretty good 4x4 motor.

It would. You need a fuel delivery system to handle off boost idle to full boost and high revs and keeping the air/fuel ratio stoychiometric.. All of the boosted cars I can think if were FI except maybe 63 Olds Starfire . Modern electronic feed back loops are a wonderful thing.

Boost is wonderful. Boost to 2 atmoasphere, 28 psia and double you power. 3 atmospheres, 42 psia, triple! It is pretty linear, simple really.

Except it's not....  detonation comes in pretty quickly. A design that cools well at 200hp might not at 300. Cylinder head studs might not be up to the extra combustion pressure.

The straight 6 wasn't about hi rev,, more of a tractor motor 

4in bore 4in stroke,   rated hp was only ~ 100 ,   torque was ~ 200 ft lb

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-ford-300-inline-six-is-one-of-the-greates-1795351528

yeah,  I figured it would need a machine to figure out what my foot is doing &  drive the blower,,

On 17/04/2018 at 7:38 AM, warbird said:

PSI is commonly used and refers to pressure above atmosphere. PSIA is a more technical term and referenced from zero pressure(vacuum) . Because autos operate at different altitudes, PSIA is commonly used in boosted autos.  23 psia is approx 1.6 atmospheres. 23psi is or 38 psia. 38 is pretty high. The mighty 80's Honda 1.5 liter 1200 hp F1 cars  ran roughly 4 atmospheres or 58 psia or 44psi.

It's commonly known as gauge and absolute pressures and can be applied to any unit. I've never seen it combined with the unit like that.  Typically it's in parentheses or fully written. i.e. Bar (A) or bar absolute. Bar (G) or bar gauge. 

15 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

It's commonly known as gauge and absolute pressures and can be applied to any unit. I've never seen it combined with the unit like that.  Typically it's in parentheses or fully written. i.e. Bar (A) or bar absolute. Bar (G) or bar gauge. 

15 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

kPa or Bar is better, but PSI is a simple measurement to understand. PSIA just accounts for the 14.7 atmosphere and keeps all the math in the inch/foot/yard/mile, ounce,pound,ton realm that got the US to the moon;)

1 hour ago, warbird said:

kPa or Bar is better, but PSI is a simple measurement to understand. PSIA just accounts for the 14.7 atmosphere and keeps all the math in the inch/foot/yard/mile, ounce,pound,ton realm that got the US to the moon;)

Got to the moon and cratered the surface of Mars..... 

I guess I chose my example poorly given the audience. i.e. PSI (G) or PSI gage Vs PSI (A) or PSI absolute. 

(note,  I also change the spelling due to the unexplained fear Americans have of the letter 'u') 

7 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

I guess I chose my example poorly given the audience. i.e. PSI (G) or PSI gage Vs PSI (A) or PSI absolute. 

(note,  I also change the spelling due to the unexplained fear Americans have of the letter 'u') 

u & j our some of the laste letteres addied to the alphabette, so theire mabey dome ressidualle apprehenssione withe somthinge 'niew'                                       :)

14 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

:angry:  SOME of us have been setting a few aside for Ed Lada's  charity work with those poor under-voweled Polish kids.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

..putting me in place without colourful language?

My point being in the USA (Colonizer of the Mooun) PSI is very common, tyre pressures, sexdoll inflation etc is imprecise in a pure sense.

2 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

:angry:  SOME of us have been setting a few aside for Ed Lada's  charity work with those poor under-voweled Polish kids.

And believe me, those kids really appreciate it.  Keep them coming.

C'mon folks, I know everybody has some extra vowels laying around.   We'll take them in any condition, even from the South.  We have a shop to refurbish them, good as new.  So box those vowels up and send them to Vowels for Poland, do it for the kids!

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

And believe me, those kids really appreciate it.  Keep them coming.

C'mon folks, I know everybody has some extra vowels laying around.   We'll take them in any condition, even from the South.  We have a shop to refurbish them, good as new.  So box those vowels up and send them to Vowels for Poland, do it for the kids!

wll d my bstt                 :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warbird said:

..putting me in place without colourful language?

My point being in the USA (Colonizer of the Mooun) PSI is very common, tyre pressures, sexdoll inflation etc is imprecise in a pure sense.

Just enjoying the flexibility of the English language. One of my uni (college) mates always said. "I like English because not only can I tell you to get fucked but I can do it in ten different ways with varying degrees of impact" 

Yes, psi is common and there are many things I still can't visualise in any other unit namely tyre pressure and sex doll inflation.