Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

2019 Ford Mustang Bullit

Over the years Ford has struggled with the Mustang, trying to recapture the magic of the original model with mixed success.  I had a 1979 Mustang GT with the 5 liter V8, that thing was a little beast, small, light weight, overpowered, and not really made for going fast other than in a straight line, just like a good American muscle car should be.  Some of the Mustangs were bloated, ugly, under performing pieces of shit.  The execrable Mustang II comes to mind, among other disasters, such as the bloated Mach I.  The Mach I wasn't a pony car, it was more like a Clydesdale, and the angle on the back window was so shallow, you couldn't see anything but the sky out of it. 

I caught a promotional video for the 2019 Bullit edition in honor of the old Steve McQueen film and from what I have seen, Ford hit this one out of the park, priced a little under under $50,000.  I think they captured enough of the original lines and the iconic tail lights while making it look quite modern as well.  I would love to find out how they feel on the road.  A 5 liter, 475 hp, V8; 6 on the floor, top speed a little over 160 mph.  You can have a choice of the original dark green, or black.  That's it.  

Does anybody out there know anything more about this thing?  I'm not in the market for a new car and I don't like spending that much on a vehicle, but I am curious about this car, it really caught my eye.

Full disclosure: I drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin with a 1.9 liter 4 cyl.  It is basically a small Mitsubishi Jeep, 4x4 hard top, 18" ground clearance, with a body designed by Pininfarina.  Yes, that Pininfarina.  Stop laughing.  I can get it up to about 80 mph before it feels like it will self destruct, but it's a great off road vehicle.  Now that I am a grandfather, I tend to drive like one.

Image result for 2018 mustang bullitt

1st Mustang that looks interesting in a long time. I had a late 70’s stang......meh. I had a chance to buy my then girlfriends 66? Mustang convertible in 69......I didn’t, I went in the military so I figured I didn’t need a car.

sigh.........

I really like the direction Ford has been going lately with the looks on the Mustang. Modern, but with just the right retro touches to pay homage to the original. That Bullitt edition is dead sexy. 

• Like 1

Hope it’s set up better than other recent mustangs. Drove a stock high performance edition at a “Ford Performance Drive Event” about 3 years ago. Among other things, they had a couple of Mustangs on a mock autocross course. Lots of understeer. Numb and slow steering. Walked away certain that I did not want one. 

I had a nostalgic moment a few years ago and had a look at the new T-Bird. Very disappointing. All plastic. Hope the Bullit stang has a few “appointments” to attract us old Boomers who have come to expect a little more out of our cars.

B)

8 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Hope it’s set up better than other recent mustangs. Drove a stock high performance edition at a “Ford Performance Drive Event” about 3 years ago. Among other things, they had a couple of Mustangs on a mock autocross course. Lots of understeer. Numb and slow steering. Walked away certain that I did not want one. 

A Mustang will always be a bit clumsy on a tight autocross course. I had a GT350 for a couple days while my Fiesta ST was in for warranty work, and understeer was the least of my worries.  I was impressed with how improved the handling was compared to previous years.  

(My neighbor runs the dealership, so I get fun loaners)

The last couple of generations of retro Mustangs really failed to capture the feel of the early ones.

With this gen they dialed back the deliberate retro shit and ironically captured much more of the original feel.

$50K for nearly 500 horses? :blink: Bargain.

Still prefer the original...

xbullitt-mcqueen.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ddbfnUOqGr.jpg

Better looking but not a fraction of the car.

Remember point & condenser ignitions and twice yearly tuneups?

Not to mention 11 MPG

Looks like a fucking catfish..... And if that's dark green, I'm day-glo fucking pink.

Should appeal to all those hillbillies that like to stick their arms down a catfish mouth to catch it. I also liked Eleanor.

Thave beene mackeng them forre yeares, hearres a 2009;

image.png.41a673823f69e1ee1b01ea86b6a820dc.png

no Catfishe smaelle                                 :)

Oh hell yes..... The FSHP has those, but in tan and black..... Those, and Dodge Challengers, or Chargers..... Scary mother fuckers when they fly up behind you, flash the high beams and blow by you at 120MPH.... Like you're standing still cruising at 70......

"The Mach I wasn't a pony car, it was more like a Clydesdale, and the angle on the back window was so shallow, you couldn't see anything but the sky out of it."

A picture is worth a thousand words (which I don't have anyway) about how wrong this is. I give you the 69 Mach 1. 

IMG_2424.thumb.jpg.d756e976535cf654c35ce13c43bb9017.jpg

33 minutes ago, hobie17li said:

Should appeal to all those hillbillies that like to stick their arms down a catfish mouth to catch it. I also liked Eleanor.

Noodling?

6 minutes ago, chum said:

"The Mach I wasn't a pony car, it was more like a Clydesdale, and the angle on the back window was so shallow, you couldn't see anything but the sky out of it."

A picture is worth a thousand words (which I don't have anyway) about how wrong this is. I give you the 69 Mach 1. 

Its beutifulle.....                         :)

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Better looking but not a fraction of the car.

Remember point & condenser ignitions and twice yearly tuneups?

Not to mention 11 MPG

I miss my 66 coupe.    I could work on it with the a clymer manual and a trip down to Napa.  No degree in computer science needed...  abs. Traction control not needed. Yeah no gps, no blue tooth, no ac.   But. We are supposed to drive the car around, not be driven.

cars had souls.  Nowadays they are just appliances.  

• Like 1

Must have been thinking of the Mach IV

image.png.26a2d8bb2b4de14127768c882fce09d7.png

21 minutes ago, chum said:

I'll see your '69 and raise you a '71.  An they got even worse after that.

Image result for 1974 mustang mach 1

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the lovely, stylish Mustang 2.  Otherwise known as a Pinto on steroids.

********************** EXPLICIT PICTURE WARNING.  IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, DON"T LOOK. **********************

Image result for mustang 2

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Surre didde.....

image.png.7e27ee97975cf7a643d43e72113b07db.png

:)

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Surre didde.....

:)

Ouch!

I wouldn't mind one of these as a new workshop hack....dont know how the customers would react but.

mustangkombi-55cb89981fe49.jpg

That actually looks like the BMW, Mercedes and Audi wagons, which are very popular over here.  Especially the Audi A6, with that aggressive front end.  For whatever reason, it seems that a Polish woman of moderate means favorite car is a newish, black, and only black, Audi A6 wagon (here it's called a 'combi').  If you see one, and they are everywhere, it almost a sure chance that it's a woman driving it.

Stock it blew the

doors off of most

contemporary'muscle cars.

image.png.8e6fad0b4c827bdf88a4cb900aca0eb1.png

49870d1218913408-why-brothers-sisters-sh

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Looks like a fucking catfish..... And if that's dark green, I'm day-glo fucking pink.

No looks like a Carp

Image result for carp

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Stock it blew the

doors off of most

contemporary'muscle cars.

image.png.8e6fad0b4c827bdf88a4cb900aca0eb1.png

My dad had one of those in ice blue. Very nice little car but at over 6' and way over 200 Lbs I could never get a good driving position - either I was stiff arming the wheel or my knees were in my chest. It needed a lot more adjustability to fit big people.

3 hours ago, overbend said:

I wouldn't mind one of these as a new workshop hack....dont know how the customers would react but.

Just get a Dodge Magnum with a hemi.

39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

My dad had one of those in ice blue. Very nice little car but at over 6' and way over 200 Lbs I could never get a good driving position - either I was stiff arming the wheel or my knees were in my chest. It needed a lot more adjustability to fit big people.

I am almost 6'6", around 190 lbs at the time, and I fit just fine in my '79 Mustang.  I have long legs but I have very long arms too, so that helped with reaching the wheel comfortably. The interior in mine was pretty spartan, basic gauges and plastic, cloth seats.

13 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Remember, it started here, my 66 example. Heavy steering, sways like a london bus, stops on a dime if that dime is a mile ahead.deck.thumb.jpg.93bc698a872ea3981cb95460a0c0f177.jpg

My first car was an old '65, fire orange. The 64 1/2, 65 and 66 all had subtle differences in trim and dash detail, if I recall. My wife wants one, it's what I drove when we dated. I told her only with modern everything under the body, WBs description is spot on.

I always wanted one of these.

IMG_2432.thumb.jpg.5eb0a475f33dd022ae3ae80fcf573a41.jpg

13 hours ago, overbend said:

the only redeeming quality in that is that it's a shooting brake, which everyone refuses to build nowadays

2 minutes ago, aA said:

the only redeeming quality in that is that it's a shooting brake, which everyone refuses to build nowadays

They build them! They lift it a little and call it a "CrossOver".:lol:

7 minutes ago, chum said:

My first car was an old '65, fire orange. The 64 1/2, 65 and 66 all had subtle differences in trim and dash detail, if I recall. My wife wants one, it's what I drove when we dated. I told her only with modern everything under the body, WBs description is spot on.

I always wanted one of these.

IMG_2432.thumb.jpg.5eb0a475f33dd022ae3ae80fcf573a41.jpg

First car ever was a 65 HiPo GT convertible (thats what ONE front fender emblem said:P) purchased from a fellow Marine as he transfered on. Lots of hours spent learning while getting the car road worthy. Radiator, motor mounts, clutch. How geen was ??? I pulled the motor to replace the clutch disc and pressure plate.:ph34r: All was goodtimes at the Fort Bliss TX base autoshop.

I have finally figured out how to make them corner instead of this straight white knuckle ride that was so coveted 

That's funny Warbird, I sold mine after I tore the engine down at the MCAS Tustin auto hobby shop, but got deployed while I was trying to figure out how to put it back together. It was move it or lose it. Another Marine bought it from me. Happens a lot I guess. 

My first day reporting for duty at Tustin the gate sentry waved me through and said "Nice car Marine!" as I rolled through. Hi compliments from a guy who saw lots of nice cars and bikes go through daily.

18 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Over the years Ford has struggled with the Mustang, trying to recapture the magic of the original model with mixed success.  I had a 1979 Mustang GT with the 5 liter V8, that thing was a little beast, small, light weight, overpowered, and not really made for going fast other than in a straight line, just like a good American muscle car should be.  Some of the Mustangs were bloated, ugly, under performing pieces of shit.  The execrable Mustang II comes to mind, among other disasters, such as the bloated Mach I.  The Mach I wasn't a pony car, it was more like a Clydesdale, and the angle on the back window was so shallow, you couldn't see anything but the sky out of it. 

I caught a promotional video for the 2019 Bullit edition in honor of the old Steve McQueen film and from what I have seen, Ford hit this one out of the park, priced a little under under $50,000.  I think they captured enough of the original lines and the iconic tail lights while making it look quite modern as well.  I would love to find out how they feel on the road.  A 5 liter, 475 hp, V8; 6 on the floor, top speed a little over 160 mph.  You can have a choice of the original dark green, or black.  That's it.  

Does anybody out there know anything more about this thing?  I'm not in the market for a new car and I don't like spending that much on a vehicle, but I am curious about this car, it really caught my eye.

Full disclosure: I drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin with a 1.9 liter 4 cyl.  It is basically a small Mitsubishi Jeep, 4x4 hard top, 18" ground clearance, with a body designed by Pininfarina.  Yes, that Pininfarina.  Stop laughing.  I can get it up to about 80 mph before it feels like it will self destruct, but it's a great off road vehicle.  Now that I am a grandfather, I tend to drive like one.

Image result for 2018 mustang bullitt

that mustang wasn't even the best car in the movie..

ekrben4yc1xxnjwpwyk6.png

had a girlfriend who had an '85 Mustang Convertible with the 5L,  it was fun to take on road trips..  heavy car though

15 minutes ago, chum said:

That's funny Warbird, I sold mine after I tore the engine down at the MCAS Tustin auto hobby shop, but got deployed while I was trying to figure out how to put it back together. It was move it or lose it. Another Marine bought it from me. Happens a lot I guess. 

My first day reporting for duty at Tustin the gate sentry waved me through and said "Nice car Marine!" as I rolled through. Hi compliments from a guy who saw lots of nice cars and bikes go through daily.

You worked at LTA.........aren’t those hangers unbelievable! 

33 minutes ago, Point Break said:

You worked at LTA.........aren’t those hangers unbelievable! 

Agreed. The joke was they actually have their own weather! If one side was closed you could see fog or mist (or smog back then) inside. Walking the catwalks inside was pretty neat. I think they are among the largest wooden structures in the world. 

Do you remember this old gate guard? We had 53s of cousrse lol but this thing goes way back.

IMG_2438.thumb.jpg.46bc8b8fa10026f7c9a4391d27ebd24d.jpg

Absolutely! Walked the catwalk once on a familiarization "tour". Impressive as hell. It would have been cool to see one in its LTA days filled with blimps. I remember when they had a large contingent of helos there folks in Tustin got worked up about the noise and the specter of a crash in adjacent residential areas. They are still using the north hanger for some sort of civilian blimp enterprise.  

3 hours ago, warbird said:

You can call it a crossover, a 'combi or kombi' or whatever you want but they will always be a station wagon and they all look pretty much alike no matter the marketing department says or what's on the front grill.  And in my opinion, most of them are pretty ugly.

Image result for opel kombi 2018

Image result for audi a6 combi 2018

Image result for bmw combi 2018

Image may contain: car

2 hours ago, chum said:

After Ft Bliss I went on to MCAS Yuma. There a Marine was getting an overnite transfer out ( enlisted fucking a female officer). He had a Chevelle SS 396, 1969. Crager Chrome 5 spokes, Candy Apple red, white (dirty as hell) interior,4 speed, airshocks and big Firestones in back, skinnies up front. Ramp style hood scoop, headers and glass packs; every nineteen year old's dream. Car reportedly didnt run, had no reverse. A $250 offer was accepted. I scrounged a battery, ran some sandpaper over the points and it started but ran like shit. I drove it home off base and played. 1/2 a day cleaning the interior to near perfect condition.5 spark plugs had no gap. It ran better. Set the timing, better yet. Fiddled with air mixture and idle screws on the Q-jet and it purred. Reverse problem was a linkage adjustment issue, the new Hurst shifter had never been adjusted:o Awesome fast car!

20 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

You can call it a crossover, a 'combi or kombi' or whatever you want but they will always be a station wagon and they all look pretty much alike no matter the marketing department says or what's on the front grill.  And in my opinion, most of them are pretty ugly.

^ I don't think they are really ugly but like most things that try to fill a utilitarian niche....it seems it would fall short in most missions. It doesn't have a lot room like an SUV...even the small ones nor will it suffice for the daily kid & kid stuff hauling. Neither is it a nice luxury sedan (although it likely hits closer to that niche than the other). I think people would be better off picking a "mission" and buying a vehicle suited for that. Over the years, we've always had two cars.....a sporty luxury sedan of various flavors....and a truck.We last evolved that combo just a few years ago and gave the truck to one of my kids.....(like I do every vehicle I have ever owned :lol: ) and shifted to a well appointed big 4WD SUV with roof racks for toys and plenty of room for kids/grandkids/sail bags and the dog. My years of hauling construction materials for the various house projects are over (no more gravel in the pickup bed) and on the rare occasion I might need something like dirt or gravel etc then I just pay the $25 - $50 and have it dumped in the driveway.

6 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Richard frome Gas Monkey hase oune, they our prettey badde assed.  Seemes licke a waiste of goode tires to me.                       :)

4 hours ago, warbird said:

f*ck the crossovers. this is a proper shooting brake (and in that color with a manual diesel would be perfection imo)

Volvo-Concept-Estate-Front-Three-Quarter

Volvo-Concept-Estate-In-Motion-648x430.j

That looks almost as good as the old P1800 ES.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Absolutely! Walked the catwalk once on a familiarization "tour". Impressive as hell. It would have been cool to see one in its LTA days filled with blimps. I remember when they had a large contingent of helos there folks in Tustin got worked up about the noise and the specter of a crash in adjacent residential areas. They are still using the north hanger for some sort of civilian blimp enterprise.  

Not surprised about the noise complaints. Most of our flying was evenings and nights up until about 2 am. 53s can shake the house from a mile away. 

For size reference the green blob by the hangar is a twin rotor CH 46. I'm pretty sure the whole wing could fit in those two hangars easily.

IMG_2442.thumb.jpg.feba2254d5742325259e1784aeb744b3.jpg

1 hour ago, warbird said:

After Ft Bliss I went on to MCAS Yuma. There a Marine was getting an overnite transfer out ( enlisted fucking a female officer). He had a Chevelle SS 396, 1969. Crager Chrome 5 spokes, Candy Apple red, white (dirty as hell) interior,4 speed, airshocks and big Firestones in back, skinnies up front. Ramp style hood scoop, headers and glass packs; every nineteen year old's dream. Car reportedly didnt run, had no reverse. A $250 offer was accepted. I scrounged a battery, ran some sandpaper over the points and it started but ran like shit. I drove it home off base and played. 1/2 a day cleaning the interior to near perfect condition.5 spark plugs had no gap. It ran better. Set the timing, better yet. Fiddled with air mixture and idle screws on the Q-jet and it purred. Reverse problem was a linkage adjustment issue, the new Hurst shifter had never been adjusted:o Awesome fast car!

My friend had his street legal (in Illinois) blown 440 'Cuda shipped to California. We got the funniest looks driving around town in 5 point restraints and a roots blower sticking up. The cops didn't appreciate Pete.

Like this but green.

IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.8546e768335f94f8abddcb4c656e8627.jpg

1 hour ago, chum said:

My friend had his street legal (in Illinois) blown 440 'Cuda shipped to California. We got the funniest looks driving around town in 5 point restraints and a roots blower sticking up. The cops didn't appreciate Pete.

Like this but green.

IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.8546e768335f94f8abddcb4c656e8627.jpg

Love the wheelie bars..........

Funny looks in Cali?

That Pro Street thing was invented in SoCal.

Anything obstructing the drivers vision like a blower is not legal in Ca., unless registered to someone in the service, at least back then.

You're right though, American Grafitti was filmed 10 minutes away on the Miracle Mile, but that's NorCal.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Love the wheelie bars..........

Pete peeled across 4 lanes of traffic sideways on Redhill in a cloud of blue smoke with me one day leaving base for lunch in that beast,  I remeber the front end skipping and looking decidedly...bent. Being a passenger sucks. We were Darwin candidates daily back when. :o

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the lovely, stylish Mustang 2.  Otherwise known as a Pinto on steroids.

********************** EXPLICIT PICTURE WARNING.  IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, DON"T LOOK. **********************

Image result for mustang 2

Her sister  lives.   I passed it yesterday on I-70 between Dayton and Richmond.   Shiny red paint and all.   I was wondering who spent the money to restore one...and why.

• Like 2

Horrible POS then and even more so now.

They made V8 Monza's look like quality.

I think I must have been in denial about that car, I barely remember it. it was that painful to watch the Mustang go so wrong. 

I had a 72 Pinto wagon Woody after the Mustang, it was actually a marginally better car, except for that little blowing up problem. It carried a Laser or surfboard of some kind everywhere on the rack. That was my first Pinto :D

You didn't learn your lesson with one?

5 hours ago, By the lee said:

The R car is the tits by all accounts. I've had my concerns with this car for a while during development but it came out getting pretty good reports. 

Plus, the Carbon wheels are cool tech... Even if I'm biased 

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You didn't learn your lesson with one?

They both had that 2 liter Ford motor, so...

31 minutes ago, Lark said:

Her sister  lives.   I passed it yesterday on I-70 between Dayton and Richmond.   Shiny red paint and all.   I was wondering who spent the money to restore one...and why.

You know, it’s not a bad looking little car.    Here is an interesting Frankenstang.      http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/15114/this-ford-mustang-ii-mach-1-has-a-turbo-nissan-silvia-engine

12F0E7AC-93A1-4D4F-B285-5B990B204EE7.jpeg

6F6328EE-A05F-4D31-B0E2-63E62263CD07.jpeg

What a waste of time, skill, money and effort.

Coulda had something nice for what that thing took.

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What a waste of time, skill, money and effort.

Coulda had something nice for what that thing took.

The article says he drives it more then his other five cars.   Either it didn’t turn out too bad, or he also owns a Gremlin, Morris Marina, Volare, Yugo, and Avto VAZ.   I hate the interior, but his engine and exterior / mirrors look good.   

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Image result for opel kombi 2018

Image result for audi a6 combi 2018

Image result for bmw combi 2018

Image may contain: car

I think they are all good looking.  Love me a wagon.  And they should be CALLED wagons

I win.    Read on....

bullitt-find(14).ashx?modified=201801151

There were 2 cars used in the movie. The stunt car (recently found in Mexico) and the "hero car" that McQueen drove. The hero car was revealed recently at the Detroit Auto Show. Had been a daily driver for 40 years until it became a stalled project cat. Still gorgeous in its unrestored glory.

The story is great to read too. https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen

Steve tried to buy it back years ago.

bullitt-find(11).ashx?modified=201801101

14 hours ago, chum said:

I think I must have been in denial about that car, I barely remember it. it was that painful to watch the Mustang go so wrong. 

I had a 72 Pinto wagon Woody after the Mustang, it was actually a marginally better car, except for that little blowing up problem. It carried a Laser or surfboard of some kind everywhere on the rack. That was my first Pinto :D

did the pinto have the v6,   I had one in puke yellow/green with the v6, I could hit 100mph, downhill, with the wind behind my back..

35 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

did the pinto have the v6,   I had one in puke yellow/green with the v6, I could hit 100mph, downhill, with the wind behind my back..

4 cyl 2 liter. I told a cop who pulled me over one day that my car could not possibly have reached 45 mph in the distance traveled from the stop sign. I was serious, he just laughed it off. 

40 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

So in high school, my buddy and I got jobs working in the press room of a small local paper. Part of the job was bundling the papers for delivery to the “paperboys” to be then delivered to homes on each paper route. The vehicle for this tasks was a VW van (shift on the floor) with a sliding side door.......slow down at each location and out go the proper paper bundles. One day a “shortcut” involved a rural road with a long downhill stretch with a dip at the bottom. Famous amongst the high school crowd for getting air on the dip. One of us......we argue over whose idea it was.........thought it would be cool to get air in the VW van. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Downhill, tailwind, engine maxed out.....not sure what the speed was but that van gave its all in the attempt. Funny thing is VW vans are not exactly aerodynamic. Long story short, we got a little sideways in the air, so the landing hit two wheels on one side first........over goes the van on it’s side as it slid to a stop. After we cleaned out our drawers we pushed the van back over on it’s wheels. It started.....it drove......so we pulled into the lot at the newspaper, parked the van with the slid side facing away from the building, went inside and quit.

Never heard another thing about it...............

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Yes I remember driving one that felt like it had the two speed automatic transmission..

29 minutes ago, chum said:

4 cyl 2 liter. I told a cop who pulled me over one day that my car could not possibly have reached 45 mph in the distance traveled from the stop sign. I was serious, he just laughed it off. 

Got pulled over in my  74 VW bus for doing 80 (2200 CC engine with a single Weber carb)  told the CHP it was a VW Bus and I doubt it could do 65..  he said OK, I'll write you up for 65.  Didn't realize it at the time, but he did me a big favor considering that 80 was 25 over the limit and could have been huge fine and two points that couldn't be washed away with traffic school... 

For what it's worth

I just took delivery of a 2018 Mustang Convertible - Ecoboost 4 with a manual transmission. Haters gonna hate and I expect to hear about how I should have bought the 5.0, but this little car is a blast to drive, pure and simple, and from a styling standpoint, I think they got it just about perfect. 

Mustang 1.jpg

I had the V8 1979 GT model which was overpowered, and after I met my second wife she had a '95 convertible with a V6.  It was fun to drive and wasn't lacking in power at all.

My '79 was almost 1,000 lbs lighter than your new one, it was a little thing.  It wasn't Mustang II ugly but it wasn't one of the prettier models ever, either.  Of course in 1979 the 302 V8 produced a whopping 140 hp, in todays GT V8 model the motor produces 460 hp with the same size 5 l, 302 cu inch motor.  Ain't technology grand.

For what it's worth

I just took delivery of a 2018 Mustang Convertible - Ecoboost 4 with a manual transmission. Haters gonna hate and I expect to hear about how I should have bought the 5.0, but this little car is a blast to drive, pure and simple, and from a styling standpoint, I think they got it just about perfect. 

Mustang 1.jpg

If you want to embarrass a few people, look up Adam Brunson or his company, Tune+. He did the tuning on my Fiesta ST. He can safely get an obnoxious amount of power out of that Mustang. 

For what it's worth

Mustang 1.jpg

With the price of gas....  I'll take the turbo 2.3L thank you very much....

If you want to embarrass a few people, look up Adam Brunson or his company, Tune+. He did the tuning on my Fiesta ST. He can safely get an obnoxious amount of power out of that Mustang. 

You realize you are "leading him into temptation".

You realize you are "leading him into temptation".

Sorry old man, some of us appreciate small displacement, big turbos! :D

There's no substitute for cubic inches.

There's no substitute for cubic inches.

Yeah yeah. Here’s a street legal Mustang running 10’s in the 1/4 mile with the same 4 banger as Wallcfa’s.  Not even the fastest example, just one from the tuner I trust  

Just for the record, I prefer the sound and feel of big displacement. I’m just sticking up for the feisty little guys. 

Mostly since I own one. (I needed an economical commuter that was still fun)

Noodling?

"Grabbling" in Mississippi...don't ask me how I know :lol:...and you don't stick your arm down their throats, you grab their bottom lip...

Just for the record, I prefer the sound and feel of big displacement. I’m just sticking up for the feisty little guys.

6 Cyl engines sound very nice - smooth sound.

4's sound like shit - especially when the kids put those dumb trash can mufflers on them. They sound like a long fart then.

4's sound like shit - especially when the kids put those dumb trash can mufflers on them. They sound like a long fart then.

No argument there. I like the sound of my 4, but the high flow exhaust on my car sounds nothing like those hideous fart cans. It’s closer in sound to a 6. 

Sorry old man, some of us appreciate small displacement, big turbos! :D

I love small displacement big revs, 6,5 and 4 cylinders!

..and why am I "old man", I am younger than your father.......

There is a difference between  "dumb trash mufflers" on an otherwise stock  4 banger and a "free flow exhaust" on a tuned motor, one is noise, the other music.......

Not on a 4 cylinder engine - unless it's in a bike. Why can't the car makers build 4's that sound as sweet as an old Honda 750? Honda did it nearly 50 years ago but even they can't make their automobile 4's sound like that.

There is a difference between  "dumb trash mufflers" on an otherwise stock  4 banger and a "free flow exhaust" on a tuned motor, one is noise, the other music.......

You mean the coffee can on my Toyota isn't doing shit?

Not on a 4 cylinder engine - unless it's in a bike. Why can't the car makers build 4's that sound as sweet as an old Honda 750? Honda did it nearly 50 years ago but even they can't make their automobile 4's sound like that.

I had one of those 750s, that gorgeous sound was the side-effect from a living nightmare of trying to tune 4 carbs for 4 cylinders. 

My '79 Mustang GT  5 L had what Ford called a 'rally tuned exhaust".  I would bet they sold a lot of those cars when the salesman told the prospect to listen, and then he turned the key.  It was a nice throaty, sexy, burble of a small V8.  

But the one sound that makes me really hot is the scream of a Ferrari.