Sign in to follow this  
Baldur

Bareboat charter in 2nd week of May

So, been hanging out with a new girl. She is kind of a modern day hippie chick and totally a water baby. She knows nothing about boats, but she does love the ocean, beaches, and islands. 

We are stuck in the desert for now, so buying myself a boat is just not an option at this time. 

I've decided to give her a trial by fire (water really) if I can arrange it. 

I'd like to get a barboat charter for may 8-13   somewhere the airfare won't be ridiculous (from Phoenix) and I can find a reasonable boat preferably not far from the nearest airport.

We are both pretty minimalist. I am 50, she is 40. She usually stays in hostels when she travels. I do that occasionally but generally go for budget style accommodations like the locals would use when I am overseas.  I think even as small as 27ft would be fine, prib no bigger than 34 or 35 I'm just shy of 6ft and would like to have headroom In The galley. But I could hunch over a little for a short trip.  Ive single-handed boats to 40 or so feet, but the object of this cruise is pleasure, not work  On that note, a good size bunk in the master. Stove, pressure water, icebox, and a proper head are requirements. Oven, refer and hot water would be nice, bit negotiable. No need for AC or generator. 

Aaaand GO!

Give Emerald Coast Yachts, in Pensacola a call. http://www.ecsailing.com/

They are a small family type operation.  Peggy and Rick are very easy to deal with.  

We have chartered with them twice and will probably head back again next December.  

The sailing in Pensacola is great and the beaches awesome.

Early May is still ahead of Caribbean hurricane season, but it's no longer high season there.  You could do the classic BVI trip via St. Thomas. 

Another option might be The Bahamas, and the Abacos in particular.  Getting there might require the extra step of a puddle jumper from Florida (PBI, MIA, FLL) or Nassau.

The Chesapeake could be nice by then too.  It will still be cold for swimming, but you should have warm days and relatively empty harbors (and possibly actual wind).  BWI is a fairly inexpensive destination airport and close to charter options on the bay.

Spoke with them. Very friendly and helpful. No shoulder season for then though.  

The Bene 331 would work well.

19 hours ago, jewingiv said:

Early May is still ahead of Caribbean hurricane season, but it's no longer high season there.  You could do the classic BVI trip via St. Thomas. 

Another option might be The Bahamas, and the Abacos in particular.  Getting there might require the extra step of a puddle jumper from Florida (PBI, MIA, FLL) or Nassau.

The Chesapeake could be nice by then too.  It will still be cold for swimming, but you should have warm days and relatively empty harbors (and possibly actual wind).  BWI is a fairly inexpensive destination airport and close to charter options on the bay.

I think she will want to swim.  Will we be able till swim in pensacola in May?

5505.jpeg

1 hour ago, Baldur said:

I think she will want to swim.  Will we be able till swim in pensacola in May?

5505.jpeg

I suspect it will be.  The worst case scenario might be that you have to jump in and rescue her...

As long as she can live I. That bikini we'll both be happy

Here is a little enticement for ya!  

Beach pic from the anchorage off Fort McRee.  If you want you can walk over to the Gulf side as well.

5ab2874b07e63_Vacation2017(141).thumb.JPG.6b9d6f57537c4d4582642df0c249b8ad.JPG

Pensacola is looking great. I can do airfare and a boat for 4days for the price of airfare to BVI for our dates

Have you checked on Spirit air.

BVI is MUCH better than Pensecola.

Fares for that week to PNS should be around $340. You can swim in the Gulf along the Emerald coast now!  68 degrees right now! 

There is a group around here that does their annual Florida 120 cruise/camp in mostly small and/or homebuilt boats (sail and row) along the stretch from Destin to Perdido Pass just over the line in Alabama. I think it will be about the time line you mention and you might want to join in the fun as it would be a good way to meet some local boating folk and there are larger boats that join the cruise. I'm going this year on my 28' trimaran and leave the camping on the beach to the kayakers. 

I'll look up the cruising guide that the founder of the FLA 120 has put together and you can get a good idea of the scale of things. From Perdido Pass to Panama City are some prime sugar sand/turquoise waters cruising. Here are some bookend shots of that stretch. I lived aboard in the USVI for over 20 years and cruised the whole Caribbean and I like living here now just fine.

Image result for wolf bay lodge orange beach al

8389140090.jpg

• Like 1