• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Contessa26

Inexperienced skipper takes inexperienced crew around vancouver island

2 hours ago, Carry on lads said:

I concede the topic. I've learned my lesson. Do not feed the trolls.

Honestly i know someone who has paddled around Vancouver island in a sea kayak in less time than you guys have debated this topic....Carry-on Lads.

Was it one of your Origarmi designs Brent?

• Like 1

Around Vancouver Island human powered record time of 12 days 23 hours and 45 minutes set in June 2014 by Victoria, B.C. native, Seakayker Russell Henry.

Sorry no foils just, old school displacement speeds and true grit.

Do it. No one becomes experienced by sitting at home telling you what to do on their computers at sailing anarchy. 

• Downvote 1

A trip with unskilled crew is one thing.  A trip with nobody knowing what the fuck they are doing is madness.  My advice is pick something to cut your teeth on first and don't risk a life.

I once did a trip from Key West to New York in February with a guy who didn't know how to sail.  (He did know by the time we got to NYC).  It was tiring to say the least but providing instructions like 'if you see ANY other boat or ship anywhere, get me on deck' kept us safe. There were other nuggets but that was the big one.   Trip took eight days.  1455 km.

1 hour ago, bodega87 said:

Do it. No one becomes experienced by sitting at home telling you what to do on their computers at sailing anarchy. 

And then you can do a trip to Antarctica.

Or maybe just the NWP.

Just do it - all it takes is a sense of adventure.

A few examples of what you might have to deal with.

image.png.e65e99c76b7b2dfc5eea64df5966bb41.pngimage.png.1db68cb0804068eb4b91398d38c66b0f.png

image.png.ee4a67ef5ee02cf235b1f1e88237dc4f.pngimage.png.82928d9a101af19f4e3e7332deba218b.png

What dangerously moronic fuckwits. The same kind of people who yell "jump" to a person on a ledge.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Carry on lads said:

Around Vancouver Island human powered record time of 12 days 23 hours and 45 minutes set in June 2014 by Victoria, B.C. native, Seakayker Russell Henry.

Great.  You are comparing a very well-prepared athlete's adventure, risking only himself, to an amateur taking a couple of novices around in essentially the same time.   Highly relevant to the discussion.

Now, I've sailed around V.I. in just about 3 days, 20 hours of actual sailing time, in a fast, very well-prepared fully-crewed boat.  No motoring involved. What does that prove?  Total elapsed time however was 14 days and we were beat by the end.   

I say, sure, this guy should go around if he really wants, but he should do two things:  1. Set aside at least a month.  2. Get the list of required safety and communication gear for the Van Isle and match it, line for line.  

1 hour ago, Jammer Six said:

I understand what's confusing you, sloop. We're not talking about the same topics.

Have a seat. We'll handle him.

Jammed on transmit.  

He's always jammed. IIRC he was the first one I jammed.

Never had anything to offer except nonsense and stupidity.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cirdan said:
1 hour ago, Jammer Six said:

I understand what's confusing you, sloop. We're not talking about the same topics.

Jammed on transmit.  

How apropos.

4 hours ago, bodega87 said:

Agreed I may be in front of the computer at this moment, or I could even be sleeping. And please let me assume you do the same. Mostly during the day I am making mods to my boat, getting it ready for another most excellent summer cruise. But more to the point: I replied to this thread because we went around Van Isle last summer. We had previously done many trips up and down and around Van Isle, but only as far North as about Quadra and Ucluelet. That was our warm up cruises. Too, we will likely be heading to at least the Broughtons this year. I am not saying go or not go. A review of my messages will show they are to the point of the subject matter, and promote caution. With a specific warning about two weeks not being enough time. If you want to dump on sitting at home advisors, then name names. Do not dump on every poster. Many have offered help on how to become experienced. And collectively that has been much more helpful than your two sentence message.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Carry on lads said:

So this thread can go on for another week before we meet that time limit you proposed. Sounds like he had a hell of a good time exploring some of the wondrous places around the island. Good times watching the stars, listening to the porpoises farting and the eagles bitching...

16 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Great.  You are comparing a very well-prepared athlete's adventure, risking only himself, to an amateur taking a couple of novices around in essentially the same time.   Highly relevant to the discussion.

Now, I've sailed around V.I. in just about 3 days, 20 hours of actual sailing time, in a fast, very well-prepared fully-crewed boat.  No motoring involved. What does that prove?  Total elapsed time however was 14 days and we were beat by the end.   

I say, sure, this guy should go around if he really wants, but he should do two things:  1. Set aside at least a month.  2. Get the list of required safety and communication gear for the Van Isle and match it, line for line.  

And do plenty of shorter warm-up trips to prepare both the crew and the boat.  There is no indication that the crew has any experience sailing at night, let alone navigating.  They should have been out in the Strait last Sunday night in the nice blow we had to practice reefing.

No one is saying that this guys should never ever attempt this trip.  We are just saying that he needs a lot more preparation and experience before going, and needs more than two weeks to complete the trip (and have any fun doing it).

17 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

That's funny but sad for him and his socks

19 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

And do plenty of shorter warm-up trips to prepare both the crew and the boat.  There is no indication that the crew has any experience sailing at night, let alone navigating.  They should have been out in the Strait last Sunday night in the nice blow we had to practice reefing.

No one is saying that this guys should never ever attempt this trip.  We are just saying that he needs a lot more preparation and experience before going, and needs more than two weeks to complete the trip (and have any fun doing it).

Who do you think you are, being all reasonable, commonsensical and shit in this thread?

On 3/20/2018 at 9:25 PM, SloopJonB said:

Don't do it.

Wait until you have a significant amount of experience. The West Coast kills people - even experienced ones.

It is not to be taken lightly or treated as a "sprint". Basically, stop being a fucking idiot ;)

Cruise around inside until you gain enough experience to know you shouldn't be asking this question.

That's exactly the thoughts that came to mind when I read your post. I think I'm qualified to comment that the West  Coast of Vancouver Island gives me pause and I've sailed from here to Austraiia. All over the Caribbean and spent the last twenty years in BC. If you want a challenge, try sailing up and down Georgia Strait (preferably on the Upwind side) during November - February.

Stay out of the 'Graveyard of the Pacific until you're qualified for the particular sandbox.

• Like 1