• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Ricky Craven

Offshore Prescription Eyewear

Too much time spent staring at VOR/Jules Verne/600nm trackers. I recently had to get prescription glasses/contacts so I can see instrument displays and other details at distance. 

Anybody out there have a good suggestion for what glasses to wear offshore? Contacts are too much of a pain to put in when its rough and can get washed out quite easily.

I helm and work on the bow, so I'm hoping for a versatile solution that can deal with harsh conditions at day and night. Should I just get some ridiculous looking sunnies with clear prescription lenses or Horace Grant - type goggles?

Look forward to any and all suggestions from my fellow visually-impaired offshore anarchists.  

i have 2 pair. Clear for night, tinted for day.

They happen to be Nike - as those seem to fit my face pretty well.

Like any gear, it needs to fit well.

Now- if you're doing bow on a planing boat, you might need something more goggle-like

Bessie on Scallywag doing the VOR has prescription goggles. Click southerncross's reply. If you email team I'm sure they will have her let you know the goggle outer brand.

They might be practical, but I wouldn't want to be seen wearing those, even if I was dead.

Speedo-goggle-shot.jpg

You mean speedos. Topic is the glasses! ;) 

I bought a couple pairs of really nice sunglasses that I really liked and fit well and securely. In my case, they are Oakley's, and marketed for skiing: That seems to be important. They are tough, they fit close to my face so they stay on when eating a wave or mogul, but they also have the perfect amount of airflow so they don't fog up. About $150 or $200 a pair.

Once I found the perfect (non-perscription) glasses, I took them to my optometrist (really, any prescription glasses shop) and had lenses made for them. Tossed the original (and very fine and expensive) non-corrective lenses into the trash. For the prescription lenses, the shop had no problem finding blanks that can be cut to fit. I had one pair made with dark (black) tint, the other with mirrored yellow over blue tint, both also polaroid. I've had them now for over a decade, and still in great shape, even though at least one pair is worn every day. About $200-$250 per pair for the lenses -- each kind of coating is yet another fee of course.

The prescription glasses shop can re-coat the lenses when they get scratched and when the mirror coating gets kinda corroded from salt water (not much of a problem, but after years it becomes noticeable).

So these glasses certainly do not look like prescription glasses.

By just finding the best fitting pair of sunglasses, I had much more variety than the prescription glasses shops carried. I was able to find frames that were really nice. And the price was no more than the glasses shop would charge for frames without lenses (that I threw away). So better style, better quality, better fit, same price. And by far, the longest lasting prescription sunglasses I've ever owned by a factor of 4 at least.

• Like 1

Too much time spent staring at VOR/Jules Verne/600nm trackers. I recently had to get prescription glasses/contacts so I can see instrument displays and other details at distance. 

Anybody out there have a good suggestion for what glasses to wear offshore? Contacts are too much of a pain to put in when its rough and can get washed out quite easily.

I helm and work on the bow, so I'm hoping for a versatile solution that can deal with harsh conditions at day and night. Should I just get some ridiculous looking sunnies with clear prescription lenses or Horace Grant - type goggles?

Look forward to any and all suggestions from my fellow visually-impaired offshore anarchists.  

I use magnetic  clics frames 

the strong magnet keeps them on  your face even in upwind , heavy air conditions 

http://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/clic-prescription-glasses/?sort=bestselling&page=15

the sunglasses are very good 

the wrap   around  style is best for sailing 

some styles are sold in the shops...many are order only 

try a frame on..its important the the frame size matches your head size 

if the frame is too small they are uncomfortable 

IMG_8360.PNG

• Like 1

You mean speedos. Topic is the glasses! ;) 

Those prescription glasses from Barz look almost the same as Speedos, to me at least.

I understand why they're necessary, but they're a bit aesthetically challenged, aren't they? ;-)

• Like 1

Those prescription glasses from Barz look almost the same as Speedos, to me at least.

I understand why they're necessary, but they're a bit aesthetically challenged, aren't they? ;-)

Yep :)

I wouldn't be caught dead in them. If I ever need prescription glasses for sailing, I'll probably spend a fortune getting something that looks excactly like my DirtyDogs.

Image is important. Like with cars. Even Ryan Gosling would look unsexy in a Toyota Yaris.

• Like 3

I like carcrash's approach. Will shell out for good frames (Oakley and Carrera fit me well, Dirty Dogs too) and then have lenses built for day / night. Image is everything.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, MikkelPetersen said:

You need to have a look at the rest of the site . Duncan's just singled out the goggles .

They're not fashionable, but for the past 40-years I've been wearing mountaineering glasses. They work exceeding well, and there is no side glare at all.

Several manufacturers make them, and they are available from many sites such as the following:

https://www.julbo.com

https://www.rei.com/c/glacier-glasses?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Aglacier-glasses&page=1

https://www.amazon.com/mountaineering-glasses/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amountaineering glasses

Julbo.jpg.c4a435435a24c3e7dcfe7710ea842c2b.jpg

Intriguing. Thanks for flagging that option. This morning I was thinking about what alternatives may be available outside of the traditional sailing/water sport channels given that sailing is often lagging behind and $$$$. Other applications of mountaineering equipment in the sailing context can be extremely useful, will investigate these glasses further.

Rudy project makes some really nice fitting sunglasses and will fill a prescription.  I have a pair with photo sun lens so I can wear then day or night.  I also carry multiple pairs just in case I break or lose them.  Some wrap around glasses cannot take too strong of lens so be aware of that.  Also the frame makers can often make stronger lenses then your local shop.

Oakley make a Sport Performance line that's hard to beat - I bought 2 pair a day and a pair for night both prescription (done at Oakley) and they have held up great on the water.

Many years ago I got pissed off with glasses/spray/losing them or contact lenses on a boat etc. so had Lasik surgery  Great decision for me

Just an idea

Cheers

On 3/25/2018 at 3:11 PM, QBF said:

They're not fashionable, but for the past 40-years I've been wearing mountaineering glasses. They work exceeding well, and there is no side glare at all.

Several manufacturers make them, and they are available from many sites such as the following:

https://www.julbo.com

https://www.rei.com/c/glacier-glasses?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Aglacier-glasses&page=1

https://www.amazon.com/mountaineering-glasses/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amountaineering glasses

Julbo.jpg.c4a435435a24c3e7dcfe7710ea842c2b.jpg

I have a pair of those...dont like them...very uncomfortable.

the ear hooks put pressure on you ears...after 12 hrs it becomes painful ...after a few days its so painful you put them away forever 

On 23/03/2018 at 7:31 AM, slug zitski said:

I use magnetic  clics frames 

the strong magnet keeps them on  your face even in upwind , heavy air conditions 

Are they attracted to your tin foil hat?

On 4/4/2018 at 7:43 AM, slug zitski said:

I have a pair of those...dont like them...very uncomfortable.

the ear hooks put pressure on you ears...after 12 hrs it becomes painful ...after a few days its so painful you put them away forever 

They are uncomfortable for you, so no one should buy them?

After 40-years of wearing them I still find them comfortable. However, everyone is different, and that's why there are so many types of frames. If one type doesn't fit, try another.

I  have been dealing with glasses for decades. I'm now wareing full time the same glasses  ashore and afloat. First is the UV coating on the lens is a must. Plastic lens seem to hold up. With the choices of styling, just as the wife if they look ok.  Thin flex-wire frames that can be twisted and contorted are the best,  they don't brake and spring back into shape. Titanium if you got bucks. Carry a spare in a hard case. Chose a way to keep them with you carefully. I have tried many things. Now a peace of line wip string waxed is my go to. Just tie a short piece to each temple tip in frount of the ear pad. When sleeping use a case or a very safe place no one till mess with to store then. I use a hat to shade my eyes. I do not use sunglasses. I just let my eyes do there thing dealing with ligh and dark.

I found that glasses with side shields affected my equilibrium (e.g., skiing glasses) , I think it is because I rely on my peripheral vision for assistance with equilibrium. This is also an issue with glasses with wide temples. So I look for glasses with narrow temples that are not at the same height as the pupils of my eyes, so that they do not obstruct my peripheral vision.