DRUNK IMPRACTICABLE CAR BUYING

Ok so tonight I bought a 1976 MG

Not Kalifornia Smoged (even says so)

tomorrow shall be the test when I ask about

Anyone have/had one

simular or worse experiences???

you bought a British car?

:funny:

Midget, mgb, or other? They're great fun. I'll need to know what model. Had a 69 sprite (midget) and a 75 mgb. Both are shockingly expensive these days for what they are. Parts are easy and cheap. Need pics too, please. 

I drove a 79 MGB as my daily commuter for 12 years.  Easy to work on, fun to drive.  By 'not smogged' does that mean the air pump and other stuff has been removed?  Mine was, eventually changed the ignition, carbs, and exhaust to something like the 65 models to get some performance zing back.

Ditch the rubber bumpers, if not previously removed.

• Like 1

IIRC the motor lost a couple of compression points after '69 or '70. My Marine Corp Master Gunnery Sargeant drove a lovely late '60s with chrome wires. In those days this stuff was sold in six packs

smoke.jpg

Lucas Electric Company motto:

Get home before dark.

looks like I have been beaten to it but enjoy the car, fun to drive but the electronics will suck 

Post 1972, you get a taller suspension, ugly rubber bumpers and a de-tuned engine. All can be corrected if the car is basically sound. 

Not a freeway or stop and go car. 

30666.jpeg

its a Rust/Dent free MG Midget 

I'm Not a Midget, but I fit given a little time to squeeze in

no need for any seatbelt

And FORGETABOUT SEX in that little fucker 

I will need to find another or whatever to find out what it beeds smogwise lable ssys it didn't come with Kalifornia Emissions so likely that is a good thing

No idea if its better or worse being a Midget ?

30671.jpeg

About the same. You can get the parts to make it right and you do have 49 state emissions.   A new manifold, a pair of Weber carbs and completely desmogging it will help a lot. Not hard to rebuild the engine with retro parts to get back some of the original 1275 motor performance. Same with going back to pre 1973 springs to lower it back to where it was designed. Moss Motors is a good resource for tech advice and parts. I had an MGA back in the day followed by a Miget and later an MGB. MGB was not a good DC car as it didn’t like open freeway 75-80 mph or stop and go traffic.  For in and around San Diego, the Midget will be a fun car. 

• Like 1

Clean it up, drive it. If you're not into sports cars at heart, you'll get bored soon enough. Any serious money you sink into it will be money you won't see a return on unless you got this for cheap. Dirt cheap. Desert dust cheap. 

any suggestions on what to liik for / get Pix of when I go to pay for it ?

anything on engine that means anything to tell what engune it has in it ?

I know Nothing about these "Yet" but I will soon enough

like if they came eith Cat Conveter etc

49 state is always Better

Ok so tonight I bought a 1976 MG

Not Kalifornia Smoged (even says so)

tomorrow shall be the test when I ask about

Anyone have/had one

simular or worse experiences???

I haven't had a MG, but have had some issues with the 75> later VWs in the past... Looks like this was when there were cars then there were California legal cars... but this shouldn't be an issue.  If it were me before I take it to get smoged I would:

1.) Sea Foam the engine with a few drops down the carburetor, and blow all the crap out. In the oil too and run the shit out of it for 100 or so miles...  May want to drop a few drops in the gas tank while you're at it and fill it with premium, run it down and fill it again..

2.) Change out the ingintion, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc....  and check all your grounds and make sure the are bright with clean connections.

3.) After you have blown the engine out and have it running right, put on a new catalytic converter...  trust me on this... many a smog problem can be solved for $50 and make sure it is  a CA legal converter...  you don't have fuel injection so there is no Lambada sensor to deal with..

Even though the car is what 42 years old and exempt form some of the smog requirements you still don't want to take it there, have them test it, then declare it a gross polluter.. this is a whole new headache.

Good luck

It should have the 1500cc. And a catalytic convertor. My 75 gb had one. This car appears to have been sitting a while just img from that pic. So you'll go through it before doing some serious driving I hope. One thing, on my 69 which had the 1275, the Main bearings need to be changed at around 80k miles before the destroy themselves. Dunno about the 1500. Check for rust in the usual places. Rockers, floor and whatnot. As someone said, working on these things is straightforward. 

I now have a 54 healey. Which is to be pulled out of storage next month.

Clean it up, drive it. If you're not into sports cars at heart, you'll get bored soon enough. Any serious money you sink into it will be money you won't see a return on unless you got this for cheap. Dirt cheap. Desert dust cheap. 

= $900

they are a fortune on CL

I just made $1,100 off me IronHead selling it for $2,200

Im going to find out exactly what I have here before dumping money into it

I turn my own wrenches and don't charge myself 

I will figure out what it will take to make it a smog passing driver

if its too much I'll just make the best of what is there and sell it

I don't see much risk of getting hurt other than by driving it,  Doesn't have the Really Safe Vibe going for it

It Is Cute, but I won't fall in Love,  I'll have some fun and be able to say I had one 

Someone else will want it More that me:-)

$900 is a good deal. These cars can still be had for reasonably priced. I got that you're mechanical. They've gone up I  value, I don't know why. They're fun, but common. 

Lay in a stock of these. You picked possibly the worst year for that thing.

And that's saying a lot.

smoke2.jpg

fusereplacement.jpg

one thing it has going for it

about 1969 I drove a MGB or Spitfire or whatever ant the bar across the top of the windshield was at eye level :-(

I Really Like Looking around and thst was a Fail 

oddly the Midget doesnt have that issue, oh and has 3 tiny baby wipers ;-O

this wont be me

Woody, if you are thinking about doing something like that, use a Ford small block - they are more compact than a Chevy and the front distributor makes things easier.

Woody, if you are thinking about doing something like that, use a Ford small block - they are more compact than a Chevy and the front distributor makes things easier.

No Never 

I put a buick V6 un a 1953 CJ3B high hood I was in Love with

Never Again !!!!

I just giing to make this thing run as good as it can w/o dumping heaps of ca$h in it

maybe put a few miles on it while its listed for sale 

I think the coons will love it !

it does kinda look like an Avacado

shaped like an MG

= $900

they are a fortune on CL

I just made $1,100 off me IronHead selling it for $2,200

Im going to find out exactly what I have here before dumping money into it

I turn my own wrenches and don't charge myself 

I will figure out what it will take to make it a smog passing driver

if its too much I'll just make the best of what is there and sell it

I don't see much risk of getting hurt other than by driving it,  Doesn't have the Really Safe Vibe going for it

It Is Cute, but I won't fall in Love,  I'll have some fun and be able to say I had one 

Someone else will want it More that me:-)

Back in the day, I had to run my 1976 BMW 2002 to the smog test every year. There was nothing in that engine anwhere close to legal. Lots of cam, near 9.8 to 1 compression, Tii cylinder head, weber carb, Ti exhuast, lightened flywheel. I always passed by advancing the timing to where I got enough manifold vacuum at 650-700 rpm. I guess testing has changed since 88.

I just giing to make this thing run as good as it can w/o dumping heaps of ca$h in it

maybe put a few miles on it while its listed for sale 

Call the guys at Wheeler Dealers TV show and get them to buy it

After all it is a "true British Icon...."

30666.jpeg

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ

• Like 1

30666.jpeg

Jeebus, Woodrow!!  That looks scary, with rust!  Have someone knowledgable make sure there is no dangerous structural rust before you start driving that thang!  

Lord Lucas!  Prince of Darkness!  I remember the mechanical fuel pumps with points that would carbon up, and stop their clickety-clack operation.  Your reach under the boot and bang it with a small rock, and it would start again for a while, but then eventually had to remove it and take the cover off  to de-carbonize the points....

g

Get it running I'll give you $1200 for it. 

It doesn't run???  WTF!

It doesn't run???  WTF!

Look at that engine, it's been sitting since Reagan was in office. I have my doubts about it running right now.

Call the guys at Wheeler Dealers TV show and get them to buy it

After all it is a "true British Icon...."

I might just help a neighbor push it over to his house and let him Fack with and then sell it

$ ?,??0 to me when it's sold

I have Plenty of projects

No I Don't want 2 BitKoin ;)

OH and I get to take it for a spin before it gets sold

or I might do it myself

I now know it needs to have a smog-pump etc & Cat (doesn't need to be CA-Cat)

I will look it over better when I bring him the Koin today & take Pix so you guys can tear into it :o

OK Went and back BUT need to meet an appraiser in an hour (no not for MG) will be posting later

Thast the hoode locke        :)

It will look better with a cap on it regardless.

How long was it underwater?

• Like 1

Back in the day, I had to run my 1976 BMW 2002 to the smog test every year. There was nothing in that engine anwhere close to legal. Lots of cam, near 9.8 to 1 compression, Tii cylinder head, weber carb, Ti exhuast, lightened flywheel. I always passed by advancing the timing to where I got enough manifold vacuum at 650-700 rpm. I guess testing has changed since 88.

Smog testing went away here - it cost 10's of $millions a year to operate the testing station and since OBD II came in back the 90's, all they did was plug in and see if there were any outstanding codes. There were so few cars failing that it was a gross waste of money - there just aren't enough pre-OBD II cars on the road to matter and what sort of mental defective keeps running a car with the check engine light on?.

Now we can have hot rods with lumpy cams again.:D

I remember the mechanical fuel pumps with points that would carbon up, and stop their clickety-clack operation.  Your reach under the boot and bang it with a small rock, and it would start again for a while, but then eventually had to remove it and take the cover off  to de-carbonize the points....

Points in a mechanical fuel pump? :P

Look at that engine, it's been sitting since Reagan was in office. I have my doubts about it ever running again right now.

FIFY

With or without corpse...

Smog testing went away here - it cost 10's of $millions a year to operate the testing station and since OBD II came in back the 90's, all they did was plug in and see if there were any outstanding codes. There were so few cars failing that it was a gross waste of money - there just aren't enough pre-OBD II cars on the road to matter and what sort of mental defective keeps running a car with the check engine light on?.

Depends on the code...  I was tripping the P0420 code... no biggie... just some shitty high sulfur gas that was creating the 1 millavolt difference between the Lambada and the O2 sensor...  car is still going to run great...  put in some new gas gave it the "Italian Clean" and it went a way...   Another time P0442..  gas cap failure..  meh... I'll get to it when I get to it...  

That is all they do in CA now...  just plug in and test...    If everything is there and working there shouldn't be an issue with any vehicle using OBDII management.

Older than 94 and you still get the sniff test and dyno done... along with the evaporative system check.  

Here smog is huge business...  the guy I have been going to for years is kind of pissed off about the new OBDII reg... he spent pretty good money to get the equipment now the new regs are lowering the cost to get into the business...  smog shops are popping up all over the place.  

Sombodey dyed inthe carre?  Gette riddof it.

And you know just the person to buy it... correct??????

Depends on the code...  I was tripping the P0420 code... no biggie... just some shitty high sulfur gas that was creating the 1 millavolt difference between the Lambada and the O2 sensor...  car is still going to run great...  put in some new gas gave it the "Italian Clean" and it went a way...   Another time P0442..  gas cap failure..  meh... I'll get to it when I get to it...  

You must have a reader and know what you are doing. When the little engine light comes on most people just think "bad".

Older than 94 and you still get the sniff test and dyno done... along with the evaporative system check.  

That's the point - for the tiny number of cars that old, whats the point in spending all the money? Must be $Billions in Cali.

A little cost benefit analysis needed?

You should ask Ted Kennedy.... 

Why do the British drink their beer warm? Because Lucas also makes refrigerators.

My first car, back in the early 70's, was a '59 bug eye sprite. Fun car ... when it ran ... and when wiring wasn't frying. I sold it to a guy who stripped it down and rebuilt it with a BOP 215 V8, which amazingly fit real nice in that itty bitty engine bay and was actually lighter than the original 948 cc 4-banger. I did the same thing to an old Spitfire a few years back.

Here in WA, a car over 25 years old is completely exempt from emissions check. Sounds like that's not the case down in CA huh?

My old jeep wrangler had a hole in the manifold, the yellow light was on  for years. When it needed testing, I would warm it up, drive near the testing station and unhook the battery, resetting the computer. It would take about a half hour of drive time to turn it back on. Worked everytime.

• Like 1

My old jeep wrangler had a hole in the manifold, the yellow light was on  for years. When it needed testing, I would warm it up, drive near the testing station and unhook the battery, resetting the computer. It would take about a half hour of drive time to turn it back on. Worked everytime.

OBDI system...  the OBDII will fault that with the smog test.. at least in CA..     I put a new battery in my wife's car and then drove it tight to the smog station to get it done...  He hooked it up, came back and noted the system was not reading and asked about the battery...  told me to go put 30 of 40 miles on in and come back.. 

I dunno if cars are different in the States but here when you get a hard code it has to be reset with a scanner - unhooking the battery won't do it. Even correcting the problem won't clear the code - it has to be done as a separate function.

Ack.  Had a '68 Spitfire (I actually miss that car), a '76 Midget, a '74 B (early...chrome bumpers) and am stupid enough to drive a Land Rover. 

I bought the spit practically in a basket -- Flew to Long Beach, bought the car, drove it about 10 blocks (and burned about 2 quarts of oil) to the garage where I built an engine.  Drove the car home to the PNW and had great fun with it for several years (transverse leaf springs and windy mountain roads do NOT mix well)

The Midget lasted 70 miles before a rod bearing spun and I found that the DPO never changed the oil.  Built an engine and sold the car.

I bought the B barely running.  Built an engine and THEN found rusted sills....Sold the engine, scrapped the car and the steering wheel is now hanging somewhere out in my shop.

I own German cars to make sure I have a reliable means of getting to the parts store for the Disco.

Hard to tell from a single picture, but that engine bay looks like a handful of challenges.  After you get most things sorted out, remember to pour some oil into the carb dashpot.  Play with different oils until throttle response is what you want.  I found ATF (often recommended) to be too thin, 20wt seemed to work correctly in most situations.

Posted (edited)

30666.jpeg

Yep..looks like plenty of room for a nice Buick 215ci V8 swap

Image result for buick aluminum v8

Edited by captpiratedog

OBDI system...  the OBDII will fault that with the smog test.. at least in CA..     I put a new battery in my wife's car and then drove it tight to the smog station to get it done...  He hooked it up, came back and noted the system was not reading and asked about the battery...  told me to go put 30 of 40 miles on in and come back.. 

In ohio, they'd just stick something up the tailpipe, and look inside to see if the lights are on. 

Points in a mechanical fuel pump? :P

The points opening and closing mechanically moved a rod that pumped the fuel.  So we did indeed, consider them mechanical, as opposed to electronic

Yep..looks like plenty of room for a nice Buick 215ci V8 swap

Image result for buick aluminum v8

Isn't it kind of overkill and wasteful to have 8 cylinders and a blower and Webers, but only 215 cubic inches???  OTOH, the little, 2 liter turbo, flat 4, in the WRX cruises comfortably just around 4K revs at 100 MPH, when the conditions warrant, so I guess maybe size DOESN'T matter???  LOL!!

Isn't it kind of overkill and wasteful to have 8 cylinders and a blower and Webers, but only 215 cubic inches???  OTOH, the little, 2 liter turbo, flat 4, in the WRX cruises comfortably just around 4K revs at 100 MPH, when the conditions warrant, so I guess maybe size DOESN'T matter???  LOL!!

Hey bro don't be fooled by that old lil Buick 215 aluminum small block...the thing packs more HP per lb than most .. I did  an  impractable car buy once..... although not drunk..was a wake up  ,coffee n bake , charge out to the local used ( Wrecked or beat to Death) boat car motorcyle place half way to Palatka on SR16 n buy n old 63 Buick special for a twin disc transmission trade...it was like 7am ..ol Les towed that thing to my house before I could blink.... guess he thought itn was junk.....My wife about shit... turned out all it needed was the  thermostat re mounted correctly and gas..( and some red paint).. I had no idea at the time just what I had gotten...... 4 speed , straight body convertable ..0- 60 in like 4 sec. smoking the tires thru all the gears...blast of a carImage result for 63 buick special convertible 4 speed

Hey bro don't be fooled by that old lil Buick 215 aluminum small block...the thing packs more HP per lb than most .. I did  an  impractable car buy once..... although not drunk..was a wake up  ,coffee n bake , charge out to the local used boat car motorcyle place half way to Palatka on SR16 n buy n old 63 Buick special for a twin disc transmission trade...it was like 7am ..ol Les towed that thing to my house before I could blink.... guess he thought itn was junk.....My wife about shit... turned out all it needed was the  thermostat re mounted correctly and gas..( and some red paint).. I had no idea at the time just what I had gotten...... 4 speed , straight body convertable ..0- 60 in like 4 sec. smoking the tires thru all the gears...blast of a carImage result for 63 buick special convertible 4 speed

Yes, I believe there were lots of kits available to stuff that lovely donk into your LBC, back in the day!!  I had briefly had a Morris Mini Traveller with a 200 HP Honda VTEC stuffed under the bonnet; it was a monster!!

:( Voodrrow,  Voodrrow,  Voodrrow, 

Vodka two much make rubles peace into windstorm,, 

:ph34r: Lucas ( Inventor of Darkness )   was OUR Agent , 

succeed beyond wildest hopes.

:angry: Voodrrow ,,  come to senses when sober up !

, need you  "Practical"   machine

Hey, it'll keep Woody busy and presumably posting less on SA. Win-win.

• Like 1

Isn't it kind of overkill and wasteful to have 8 cylinders ......and Webers, but only 215 cubic inches??? 

Lambragini.Muira.........?????

Isn't it kind of overkill and wasteful to have 8 cylinders ......and Webers, but only 215 cubic inches??? 

Lambragini.Muira.........?????

Teeing Off in ..........................................

The following is Sobering :blink:But at the end it's just what ya make of it

I will come out ahead

Bad sign was the 2 Shop Manuals "1 Just for Electric" :o

No automatic alt text available.

Well looks like the stuff the Smog Pump goes to is mostly there (Cat replaced w 2nd muffler)

Image may contain: shoes

Oh that one go to the .................

Nice !

Image may contain: plant

Image may contain: car

New Factory Seat Upholstery in bag (not seat covers)

Top is OEM and never installed or been in sunlight, Roof framing is fine and all hardware to it fasten is there

issue with paint pealing next to hinge of trunk

Image may contain: car

Touch-up paint and body filler

Image may contain: food

anyone who follows the News knows that SoKalifornia is Full of Dreamers

Lets s see what I do with this Project for Someone who Really wants to Make a Really Nice one

needs too much for me to Jib-Out but in can be made to Run and at that point will be the Best Value to Flip !!

On a Positive Note - It has a Ground :lol:

Have Not tried a wrench on it But afraid it won't be Metric (Witworth) ??

I had a 72.5 MGB (last chrome bumper) in '83 or '84. Blew up one engine and found a replacement from a guy who put a toyota engine in his MGB. But after I got the replacement installed and running, not easy, it would cook batteries and I gave up on the electrical. I was young. The battery is behind the seat, so you could smell it when it was time to get it exchanged for free! I only did that twice.

If i were drunk and came across a fixer TR6, I might bite. Sober no.

So far the body pics show way less rust than inside the engine bay.  OTOH, to do it right, even if you do all the labor yourself, the cost to restore in really good condition will be only slightly less than if you had purchased one that didn't need so much work.  

• Like 1

If I were closer, I'd be stopping by. It's very interesting. The body is the big issue. And as long as it passes that inspection.. well that and make sure the engine isn't frozen. 

If I were closer, I'd be stopping by. It's very interesting. The body is the big issue. And as long as it passes that inspection.. well that and make sure the engine isn't frozen. 

Not Froz

I have Pix of all the likely rust areas from above and below

I shall Not dump copious amounts of Koin into this

I shall try to get it to where someone can listen and drive it on to their car hauler/trailer

also should I find a smog pump w bracket for cheep I'll get it too

If I were to fall in Love with it I would completely replace the wiring - But that's for a Dreamer Not me

Lookes licke a servivore with allotta pottentialle!  Grabb it and anny sparre partes and run!  Wiring harnesses canbe compicated, butte they our plenney of geekey tipes that toille in theise obsciurities.                                         :)

They sell replacement kits for wiring. Just rip out the old and put in the new. My only real fears is that cars been sitting in a dry climate for a while. So a lot of the seals, orings and gaskets will need to be replaced me thinks. Still beats the hell out of one thats been sitting out east though. Oh well. 

Potential Sale early next week 

talking to a guy who said oh 76/ needs smog

I told him missing air pump and he mentions all the other related smog crap

I show him pix of each part 

he says Doesnt matter I have All that stuff to spare

turns out he has 4 Midgets 2 with V8's 1 V6 and one eith a Honda/ e Hinda Frontwheel Dr Suspention 

This might be Short & Sweet

leading ti More/Better Rum :-)

turns out he has 4 Midgets 2 with V8's 1 V6 and one eith a Honda/ e Hinda Frontwheel Dr Suspention 

Hese scammeng you.......                           :)

ya have to sleepin pretty late (after Wendy Williams) to scammeng me

I just happened to stop by the guys shop whist  riding me Harley today

I say the others as well as his Mini collection !!

scammeng me

Saye annythinge licke "alle that smog shite ist a paine in asse, I juste happende to halve thiise, that, and the orthere thinge", "I cane do it muche eziere ten you" Huh?

:)

Saye annythinge licke "alle that smog shite ist a paine in asse, I juste happende to halve thiise, that, and the orthere thinge", "I cane do it muche eziere ten you" Huh?

:)

If he handz me the $1,500 I don't give a Raccoonz Ass what he does with it

do you ??

If he handz me the $1,500 I don't give a Raccoonz Ass what he does with it

do you ??

Notte frome hearre I dointe                     :)

sew if im smarter than taking a couple BitKoin or fake $100 billz

Don't move it from where I bought it

and pocket $600 

just how bad can I be scammed ??

So, you paid 900 for this?  Hell, you can chop and part it out and triple your money, I reckon...

On 3/22/2018 at 8:25 AM, madohe said:

Lucas Electric Company motto:

Get home before dark.

"Lucifer, Prince of Darkness."

On 3/23/2018 at 3:01 PM, DA-WOODY said:

Teeing Off in ..........................................

Y'know Wood, it's not that bad by the looks of it, I've helped rebuild MGs and an Alpine back in the 1980s that looked a little worse than what's in that photo.

MGs and Triumphs always had a wonderful role in high school, the guys with the American muscle would never, ever help on the rebuilds with those, they got nothing out of the work., So the job fell to the guys with the Italian and German POSs. The pleasure in working on the British machines is that the guys with the Italian cars could take some solace in vehicles that were even less dependable and more poorly engineered than our own.

The bravest people I ever knew were my wife's Cali cousin and her husband. They drove a GT6 from San Francisco to the East coast and back in the 70's. John took a full tool kit with him but counted on getting parts along the way.

They actually survived and got the car home again.

A couple of my friends were in Palm Springs a few years ago and decided to drive a '78 Rolls Royce to Arkansas to check out a diamond mine. The power windows stopped working (down naturally) in Arkansas and to get them fixed meant having the car hauled to Dallas. Peter donated the car to a local church and they flew home.

I thought that showed a certain flair. :D

back in the 70's a friend had a triumph spitfire in London and wanted to go home to NZ so.....being female and blond loaded up the car and with current boyfriend along headed east.... to Singapore, shipped to perth then drove the nullabor etc to Sydney before shipping across the ditch, apparently it went just fine......for a London commuter

31 minutes ago, 167149 said:

back in the 70's a friend had a triumph spitfire in London and wanted to go home to NZ so.....being female and blond loaded up the car and with current boyfriend along headed east.... to Singapore, shipped to perth then drove the nullabor etc to Sydney before shipping across the ditch, apparently it went just fine......for a London commuter

That is not in the least believable. :D

You'll have to provide a whole lot of documentation to make that believable to anyone who has ever had a British car. A Spitfire across Oz?

You guys all bashing old British cars, you know, 90% of the British cars ever made are still on the road today ...

... the other 10% actually made it home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That is not in the least believable. :D

You'll have to provide a whole lot of documentation to make that believable to anyone who has ever had a British car. A Spitfire across Oz?

know where you're coming from there but wasn't there so no comment, one of the better pommy efforts for reliability was their version of GM trucks....the 50's and 60's petrol Bedford, once the joe lucas (inventor of darkness) electrics were changed out they could be pretty bulletproof