Sign in to follow this  
sail69

Dyer Dhow Resto Under Seat Storage Question...

She may no be fast but she is family and very pretty in her newly restored state.   Need storage solution under seat to contain the usuals (anchor, life jackets, flashlight et al).  As the mid-ship seat is spanning the centerboard trunk need 18" by 8" by 8" under-seat storage.   Looked about on-line and much noise.  

Any suggestions for this old gal?

The space under the midships thwart is probably not big enough for all the gear you mention.  It is also likely to get wet there, one way or another, with water sloshing around in the bilge.  We put stuff forward of the bow thwart where it is out of the way, it might be drier, and there's enough room for it.  A simple cover could be hinged on the forward edge of the forward  thwart with stopper/support blocks glued to the inside of the hull to hold it up in the closed position, when it would cover all the stuff.We had squirrels get into the foam floatation under the seats on our Dyer so I'm working on cleaning that up before repainting.

You need the floatation under the seats these things will sink if they turtle... You need all the floatation you can get actually..

I would put the anchor behind the centerboard trunk and maybe lead the chain and line to the bow, rest the anchor on a rubber or some pad so it doesn't wear a hole, that fiberglass is pretty thin... on these Dyers. Nice boats tho.. some how come to love them.

Great little boat.   Kept the foam and added a air bladder in lieu at the stern. 

Really enjoyed the re-furbish as a winter project.  An because its all spruced up I didn't want things rattling around underfoot.  Perhaps I will try to make a bow storage solution (thanks PaulK) that will be consistent with the look and feel of the Dyer.

Two words if you don't want it wet. Dry Bag.