Getty

Getting back into sailing

I am looking to get back into sailing. When I was younger, I sailed opties and 420s mostly. Had a brief time with an O'pen Bic and I loved that. What I am looking for is something small, light, can foil or be modded to foil, fun boat to solo sail, and be under $12K. I am 6'4" and about 160lbs. 

Originally I was thinking about getting an O'pen Bic, but I fear I have outgrown them. Now I am thinking a Moth, but they seem pretty pricey (the ones I have seen new are 20K and up) so now I am interested in a Waszp. I am still undecided and thought I should consult the forum for advice.

A few things to keep in mind. I am on Lake Michigan so the used market is for typically larger multi-person boats and American made boats. I don't have somewhere to keep the boat at the harbor so I will be mostly either driving the boat to the water or walking it. 

Check out the UFO, a 10' foiling cat, $7600, made in the Bristol, RI.  Look under Steve & Dave Clark's Unidentified Foiling Object in the forum directory.  I was in your same boat, not having sailed since 2001, but UFO #58 is sitting in the garage waiting for spring!  Good luck!

I am looking to get back into sailing. When I was younger, I sailed opties and 420s mostly. Had a brief time with an O'pen Bic and I loved that. What I am looking for is something small, light, can foil or be modded to foil, fun boat to solo sail, and be under $12K. I am 6'4" and about 160lbs. 

Originally I was thinking about getting an O'pen Bic, but I fear I have outgrown them. Now I am thinking a Moth, but they seem pretty pricey (the ones I have seen new are 20K and up) so now I am interested in a Waszp. I am still undecided and thought I should consult the forum for advice.

A few things to keep in mind. I am on Lake Michigan so the used market is for typically larger multi-person boats and American made boats. I don't have somewhere to keep the boat at the harbor so I will be mostly either driving the boat to the water or walking it. 

go buy an RS Aero.   Looks like a grownup open bic, about 7-8k and they sell foiling kits for them.    In fact there's a guy here named Lindy.  usually hangs out on the Texas Centerboard Circuit thread.  He has a foiling kit.  Buy his so he can get a VX evo. 

Hmm, 6'4 and 160?  Wont foil and it's out of your budget by a few K BUT you should check out the Evo.  I'm 6'2 and felt like a giant on the Aero.

go buy an RS Aero.   Looks like a grownup open bic, about 7-8k and they sell foiling kits for them.    In fact there's a guy here named Lindy.  usually hangs out on the Texas Centerboard Circuit thread.  He has a foiling kit.  Buy his so he can get a VX evo. 

Hmm, 6'4 and 160?  Wont foil and it's out of your budget by a few K BUT you should check out the Evo.  I'm 6'2 and felt like a giant on the Aero.

Someone said the RS Aero is an O'Pen Bic for grown-ups.  If you want "small, light, can foil or be modded to foil, fun boat to solo sail, and be under $12K" it's the perfect fit.

Don't worry about being too tall at 6'4" for the Aero. The second place finisher in the RS Aero class at the Sarasota One Design Midwinters last weekend was taller than that.

Unless you're old and not very mobile (and it doesn't sound like that's the case), then you're not too tall for the Aero. But you're definitely too tall for an Open Bic! Of course, in very light winds, when you're forced to keep your weight toward the middle of the boat, lots of different dinghies will feel small.

Thanks for all of the replies. Bic is definitely out.

The UFO does seem neat but I think waszp would be better suited for me.

The RS Aero looks very interesting, I will need to look into that more. 

VX Evo actually looks really cool and could be a nice solo sail or with a friend. 

What are the best boats for solo or two-person sailing? 

Oh geeze.

Can you be a bit more specific?

"something small, light, can foil or be modded to foil, fun boat to solo sail, and be under $12K. I am 6'4" and about 160lbs." 

Your brief  accurately describes a windsurfer.

VX Evo actually looks really cool and could be a nice solo sail or with a friend. 

Why do you think the Wazp would be better suited to you when you have absolutely no idea what the best boats are for solo or double handed sailing? Have you ever sailed before?

Oh geeze.

Can you be a bit more specific?

The only boat I have raced with someone was a 420, all I am looking to do is expand my horizons and explore new options escpilly since I am not constricting myself to one class. 

"something small, light, can foil or be modded to foil, fun boat to solo sail, and be under $12K. I am 6'4" and about 160lbs." 

Your brief  accurately describes a windsurfer.

What if I say $20k doesn't need to foil but would be a major bonus. 

Why do you think the Wazp would be better suited to you when you have absolutely no idea what the best boats are for solo or double handed sailing? Have you ever sailed before?

I was purely comparing the Waszp and UFO. I tend to favor monohulls more. Major Tom: read the first post on the thread.

I know I am all over the place, but I see myself going one of two ways. Either getting a boat just for me to sail that foils (or modded to foil) or get something that I can sail by myself and with one other person.

Sorry if I sound uneducated, but my world of sailing when I was younger was quite confined.  

I know I am all over the place, but I see myself going one of two ways. Either getting a boat just for me to sail that foils (or modded to foil) or get something that I can sail by myself and with one other person. 

Whether you want a boat to sail by yourself only, or a boat that you could occasionally also sail with another person is what you need to decide first.

That is a purely personal decision that we can't help you with much.

Why not just buy a used Moth?  Then you can foil faster than a Waszp and it would cost about the same.  There are probably plenty out there.  Like this one in the Sailing Anarchy classifieds that is a Bladerider, not a Mach 2.  Bladerider for sale

May I suggest a Netherott IC for $1500-$3000. Will beat most of whats out there without foiling issues. Just my .02

Sorry if I sound uneducated, but my world of sailing when I was younger was quite confined.  

there was recently a bona fide troll post on a similar topic so it's possible people are on guard. It was a good thread if you were a e-pitchfork salesman ----E

Buy $1000 Laser or Force5 and sail every chance you get for a year. You'll figure out how important the capability to carry a second person is. You`ll relearn stuff you forgot and hone your skills. Sell after a year for $1000 and then buy next boat. 

Has anyone here gone straight from bog standard youth boats to a moth/wasp? I'm guessing the immediate success rate is fairly low on that transition.

• Like 1

Buy $1000 Laser or Force5 and sail every chance you get for a year. You'll figure out how important the capability to carry a second person is. You`ll relearn stuff you forgot and hone your skills. Sell after a year for $1000 and then buy next boat. 

Has anyone here gone straight from bog standard youth boats to a moth/wasp? I'm guessing the immediate success rate is fairly low on that transition.

yup

Laser class is going strong, good boats and parts and info on getting up to speed available. 

• Like 1

"When I was younger, I sailed opties and 420s mostly. Had a brief time with an O'pen Bic and I loved that"

I'd get back into sailing first, get back up to speed on sailing skills and fitness and then think about foiling.

I have an Aero and it's a lovely boat. Yes there is foiling kit, however if I was primarily interested in foiling I would not get an Aero, I'd get something designed to be a foiler.

There will always be people telling you to buy a Laser. It is not in fact the only boat in the known universe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

X 2. Lots of pretty girls out there - but too early for you to commit! You will see all kinds of boats on the water and in boat parks that will tweak your interest.

On 2018-03-23 at 3:03 PM, Getty said:

Fora 1-2 person dinghy I would also look at the newly introduced Seascape 14. While performance data is still preliminary it looks to be another great design from Seascape and Samuel Manuard. It’s a very versatile dinghy which might fit your bill well.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:58 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Buy $1000 Laser or Force5 and sail every chance you get for a year. You'll figure out how important the capability to carry a second person is. You`ll relearn stuff you forgot and hone your skills. Sell after a year for $1000 800 and then buy next boat. 

Good advice. Buy a cheap single hander. Join local sailing club.  Beat the crap out of your inexpensive boat and learn to sail well  Make friends. Decide if you want to take the next step in single handed sailing and advance to a new Aero or go down the foiling route with a Moth variant or decide you want to sail double handed with the new friends you made and decide together what double handed boat you want .

Your first boat will not be the one you end up with.

Thank you, everyone, for the input. I am still exploring options and deciding what kind of boat I am looking for. 

It sounds like I really should be looking towards something used that I can re-learn on. Lasers sound like the favorite for the used market around lake Michigan, any others? 

The RS Aero looks really nice, thoughts on the other RS boats like the NEO or FEVA?

The Seascape looks nice if I end up going with something bigger and nicer. 

I will be sure to keep the thread updated and please keep the tips coming. 

Other then Craig's List where does one look for used boats? 

http://sailinganarchy.com/classifieds/

Check Local Yacht/sailing club sites many have classifieds. As noted in post 21 join the local club and meet people. They will be able to lead you to a good boat better than the internet. (peruse the Craigslist thread and note the quality available)

Laser ought to be pretty easy to come by. May need sail or some control upgrades. There are Aeros available but most are going for close to new prices. 3 here in Seattle with multiple rig sizes.  

Individual classes often have classifieds as do the dealers. Sturgis West Coast Sailing etc. 

Some brokers out here in Seattle also sell dinghies. Check some of the locals there in Chicago. Sparse but might have what you are looking for. 

11 hours ago, Getty said:

Other then Craig's List where does one look for used boats? 

Getty, I sail small boats in Chicago and can give you some ideas.  I sent you a PM.

I highly recommend the WASZP. I was in a similar position as you (took 5 years off sailing after having kids). Although maybe I did a bit more sailing before my hyatus. I got foiling my first time in the WASZP. After two sessions, I got comfortable enough to get around boueys. After five 1 hour sessions, i got to a point where I could send a foiling gybe, although not consistently. Note, you want 8+ knots of wind to go out in. Above 15 gets a little much for a beginner.

The platform is terrific. The manufacturer has been standing behind the parts. I’m very happy with the purchase and foiling is freaking amazing. 

Just an FYI, assembly from the box is a 8 to 12 hour project (watch the videos on Vimeo). However, once it’s assembled, rigging is 10 min max. Give the WASZP a shot. It has the most momentum and is, in my opinion, the most likely to build a truly active base of sailers.