Oh, so you know it's a swastika. If I knew it was a swastika, I'd change my pic, given the bad press swastikas have gotten in the years since the pic was taken. But that's just me.

Glad to hear about the BP.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

The swastika (as a character 卐 or 卍) is an ancient religious icon used in the Indian subcontinent, East Asia and Southeast Asia, where it has been and remains a sacred symbol of spiritual principles in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.[1][2][3][4]

The name swastika comes from Sanskrit (Devanagari: स्वस्तिक), and denotes "conducive to well being or auspicious".[5][6] In Hinduism, the clockwise symbol is called swastika symbolizing surya (sun), prosperity, and good luck, while the counterclockwise symbol is called sauvastika symbolizing night or tantric aspects of Kali.[6] In Jainism, a swastika is the symbol for Suparshvanatha – the 7th of 24 Tirthankaras (spiritual teachers and saviours), while in Buddhism it symbolizes the auspicious footprints of the Buddha.[6][7][8]

The swastika is an icon widely found in human history and the modern world.[4][6] It is alternatively known in various European languages as the Hakenkreuz, gammadion, cross cramponnée, croix gammée, fylfot, or tetraskelion, and in Japan as the Manji. - Wikipedia.

I just checked my blood pressure about half an hour ago 121/67. Not too bad for an old bloke. Yesterday 120/65.

You keep raving on like you have been and your BP is going to be 0/0. Calm down, FFS.

25 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Oh, so you know it's a swastika. If I knew it was a swastika, I'd change my pic, given the bad press swastikas have gotten in the years since the pic was taken. But that's just me.

Glad to hear about the BP.

To me (not that I even thought about it until these PC wankers brought it up) it represents an 18 footer from an era LONG before the Nazis hijacked it. I don't try and hide or change history.

Thanks on the BP. A bit lucky there I guess - considering I am a tad overweight, but don't smoke.

1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Changing history AGAIN? Read the lines under the pic - - - 1923-4.

As for getting old? One discovers that one does not have to be nice to disagreeable arseholes like you. I call a spade a spade. You are an obnoxious cunt and a PC wanker and you can FUCK OFF!

It is very offensive to get a nations flag wrong. Try it with the French and see how you go.  And the Union Jack is not ONLY used in Commonwealth nations flags. You're not very good at this business of getting your facts right, are you.

Go to the link. It's the BUILD DATE  of  the boat.

I don't believe you were nice when you were young.

I don't think flags are all that important really. People are what makes a country good bad or ugly. By the way i never said the Union Jack was only used by Commonwealth nations.

You are continuing to work yourself into a frenzy about little or nothing. I does seem to allow you an opportunity to showcase your sophisticated and extensive vocabulary.

How often do you need to clear the spittle from your computer screen? Must be a tedious chore.

Edit:

Have you considered getting a Swastika tattoo? Perhaps on your forehead. You can explain to all that ask that it really represents your religious beliefs and has nothing whatsoever to do with Nazis, genocide, mass murder and/or institutionalized hatred.  It might lead to a world tour and a TED Talk! If you get to the SF Bay area I'd be glad to take you for a sail around the Bay and under the Golden Gate Bridge! Quite an experience even if you've done it before.

On the way back you might do us all a favor and fall in....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Go to the link. It's the BUILD DATE  of  the boat.

I don't believe you were nice when you were young.

I don't think flags are all that important really. People are what makes a country good bad or ugly. By the way i never said the Union Jack was only used by Commonwealth nations.

You are continuing to work yourself into a frenzy about little or nothing. I does seem to allow you an opportunity to showcase your sophisticated and extensive vocabulary.

How often do you need to clear the spittle from your computer screen? Must be a tedious chore.

I am still nice to reasonable people. YOU are an obnoxious PC wanker and I don't have to waste my time being nice to idiot PC wankers like you. You have NOTHING to offer that I might be remotely interested in. Go away!

ps. Your countrymen are good at changing history. I suggest you Google "Battle of Brisbane". READ IT ALL - particularly the bit about Papua New Guinea. A perfect example of America changing history because the truth is unpalatable to Americans.

3 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

I am still nice to reasonable people. YOU are an obnoxious PC wanker and I don't have to waste my time being nice to idiot PC wankers like you. You have NOTHING to offer that I might be remotely interested in. Go away!

Gee I'm hurt. And this right after I edited my last post and invited you to visit and go for a sail...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

FAKE!

Is that your latest curse word? Or, did you misspell the one you more commonly use?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Is that your latest curse word? Or, did you misspell the one you more commonly use?

I see you are not reading what I recommended. Instead just waffling on with more of your nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

ps. Your countrymen are good at changing history. I suggest you Google "Battle of Brisbane". READ IT ALL - particularly the bit about Papua New Guinea. A perfect example of America changing history because the truth is unpalatable to Americans.

I don't care about the Battle of Brisbane. Wasn't there. Couldn't change history if I tried. History is changed and rewritten in all countries and societies. Part of the human existence.

You certainly like to generalize about "Americans". Have you spent a lot of time in the U.S? I would have a hard time lumping all Citizens of the U.S. into one category or opinion. I can Imagine Australia has several varieties of people and opinions as well. I wouldn't Lump all Aussies  in any one category even if I'd been there. I can only form opinions about your country by reading the news and trying to filter through the institutionalized bullshit that is written and recorded. And then there is the opportunity for more personal interactions with individuals on forums like this one where I can interact with an old Swastika loving gentleman like you. Should I base My opinion of Australians on our entertaining chats?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

I see you are not reading what I recommended. Instead just waffling on with more of your nonsense.

Waffle? Don't push it.

11 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Patience Grasshopper... I was responding to your edit. And No. I didn't read what you suggested as I have no interest in the subject.

I thought perhaps you'd peruse the link I provided on 18foot skiffs as you seemed interested in the subject.

Bye for now good buddy! I'm off to make dinner for my sweet bride!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, familysailor said:

I don't care about the Battle of Brisbane. Wasn't there. Couldn't change history if I tried. History is changed and rewritten in all countries and societies. Part of the human existence.

Well you certainly trying hard to change it with this PC crap you are continuing.

You are American I presume as you hail from there and you ARE trying to change history to suit your need to feel superior to people from other countries.

• Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Well you certainly trying hard to change it with this PC crap you are continuing.

You are American I presume as you hail from there and you ARE trying to change history to suit your need to feel superior to people from other countries.

You really think you can speak for me? History is about the past. In the recent past the Swastika was taken as a symbol for those that hate, commit genocide, embrace racism and kill those that don't agree with them. The symbol has been currently embraced by a new generation of haters. They are NOT Buddhists or Hindus. That's what current events and recent history associate with the Swastika. You know this I'm sure. Yet you embrace it.

I don't feel superior to other people. I just don't understand haters or those that seem to think it's somehow clever to display a Swastika whilst hiding behind "History".

History change the meaning of the Swastika, I didn't.

It's not 1909 anymore Toto.

Dinner is almost ready...Bye!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, familysailor said:

You really think you can speak for me? History is about the past. In the recent past the Swastika was taken as a symbol for those that hate, commit genocide, embrace racism and kill those that don't agree with them. The symbol has been currently embraced by a new generation of haters. They are NOT Buddhists or Hindus. That's what current events and recent history associate with the Swastika. You know this I'm sure. Yet you embrace it.

I don't feel superior to other people. I just don't understand haters or those that seem to think it's somehow clever to display a Swastika whilst hiding behind "History".

History change the meaning of the Swastika, I didn't.

It's not 1909 anymore Toto.

Dinner is almost ready...Bye!

Oh come on, give him a break. He explained it. It is the only picture he had of a sailboat, I ass-ume he meant the only picture of that symbol  on a sailboat. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Oh come on, give him a break. He explained it. It is the only picture he had of a sailboat, I ass-ume he meant the only picture of that symbol  on a sailboat. 

FUCK OFF WANKER.

You are now on ignore.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, familysailor said:

History is about the past. In the recent past the Swastika was taken as a symbol for those that hate, commit genocide, embrace racism and kill those that don't agree with them. The symbol has been currently embraced by a new generation of haters. They are NOT Buddhists or Hindus. That's what current events and recent history associate with the Swastika. You know this I'm sure. Yet you embrace it.

I

Your total PIG IGNORANCE astounds me. There is a lot more to the world than just your 50 "odd" states. Yes I know thats hard  for you to believe.

Take time and travel trough Bali or India and and dine at https://www.justdial.com/Guwahati/Swastika-A-Family-Restaurant-Bamunimaidan/9999PX361-X361-171002124116-N6D6_BZDET

Or stay at the http://www.swastika-bungalows.com/

Do you feel the Same about Rainbows? Do you associate rainbows with BUTT HURT and discourage your children from mentioning the word as

modern history shows it to be associated with the "Gay Movement"?

Oh thats right ,in your case ignorance really is bliss.

• Downvote 2

15 hours ago, VWAP said:

Didn't know this, thanks for the link!!! Could have easily been a trap fo rme as a non-native speaker. You saved me from being an offensive a## of the worst kind. Again, thank you!

Who might we unintentionally offend next. Just about everyone, it would appear, if we pursue this PC stuff. A suburb of a city in NZ, was referred to as Spadesville, not because of the colour of the population, but because an Islander killed another person with a spade. I notice this thread is moving along nicely. Carry on.

10 hours ago, overlay said:

Your total PIG IGNORANCE astounds me. There is a lot more to the world than just your 50 "odd" states. Yes I know thats that's hard  for you to believe.

Take time and travel trough through Bali or India and and dine at https://www.justdial.com/Guwahati/Swastika-A-Family-Restaurant-Bamunimaidan/9999PX361-X361-171002124116-N6D6_BZDET

Or stay at the http://www.swastika-bungalows.com/

Do you feel the Same about Rainbows? Do you associate rainbows with BUTT HURT and discourage your children from mentioning the word as

modern history shows it to be associated with the "Gay Movement"?

Oh thats that's right ,in your case ignorance really is bliss.

Very unlikely that I'll ever have the funds required to travel where you've linked. They look like nice places.

Have no problem with rainbows or what they may signify currently.

Do you have a problem with an individual's sexual identity?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, familysailor said:

Very unlikely that I'll ever have the funds required to travel where you've linked. They look like nice places.

You don't seem affronted by their use of the word swastika in a modern concept. Why?

Why don't you get on your bike and get over there and give them a piece of your tiny mind?

I suppose it would be a different kettle of fish actually saying your PC crap to someone's face. Easier to hide behind a screen name & throw shit.

How in the hell can anybody look at PPS avatar and see what that insignia is? I truly think someone went looking, with great care & determination, to get themselves offended so they could proclaim their moral superiority. This is you:

victim.jpg.e1b7b2721557333959117b1ef84764fb.jpg

That said I would not have posted that avatar because I have friends, very close friends of decades old acquantance, who would be disappointed in me and in our friendship if I did .

A pox on both your houses.

6 minutes ago, Parma said:

How in the hell can anybody look at PPS avatar and see what that insignia is? I truly think someone went looking, with great care & determination, to get themselves offended so they could proclaim their moral superiority. This is you:

victim.jpg.e1b7b2721557333959117b1ef84764fb.jpg

That said I would not have posted that avatar because I have friends, very close friends of decades old acquantance, who would be disappointed in me and in our friendship if I did .

A pox on both your houses.

If you can't see the swastika either get your eyes checked or ignore it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

You don't seem affronted by their use of the word swastika in a modern concept. Why?

Why don't you get on your bike and get over there and give them a piece of your tiny mind?

I suppose it would be a different kettle of fish actually saying your PC crap to someone's face. Easier to hide behind a screen name & throw shit.

I thought you had me on "ignore". Couldn't wait for another chance to rant?

More insults?

Go for a walk, enjoy the weather, try to figure out why a majority of folks in countries affected by the Nazi mindset might not appreciate Swastikas.

As i said previously, you have the privilege of displaying symbols and expressing you beliefs.

I just think in your case you either consciously picked a photo with Swastika because you sympathize with what it's come to represent or are too dim to understand the negative connotations.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, familysailor said:

I thought you had me on "ignore". Couldn't wait for another chance to rant?

More insults?

Go for a walk, enjoy the weather, try to figure out why a majority of folks in countries affected by the Nazi mindset might not appreciate Swastikas.

As i said previously, you have the privilege of displaying symbols and expressing you beliefs.

I just think in your case you either consciously picked a photo with Swastika because you sympathize with what it's come to represent or are too dim to understand the negative connotations.

I did not have you on ignore, but you are getting bloody close to it,

I knew someone who lived thru what the Nazis did. The number on her arm was a reminder.

I have sailed many miles with someone who saw first hand what the Nazis did.

I suspect you have absolutely NO idea what it was about. You are just spouting off your PC crap - while hiding behind a screen name. 

Why don't you address the issue of the Swastika restaurant & Swastika Accommodation house? Conveniently ignoring that for some reason?

So FUCK OFF PC WANKER!

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

I did not have you on ignore, but you are getting bloody close to it,

I knew someone who lived thru what the Nazis did. The number on her arm was a reminder.

I have sailed many miles with someone who saw first hand what the Nazis did.

I suspect you have absolutely NO idea what it was about. You are just spouting off your PC crap - while hiding behind a screen name. 

Why don't you address the issue of the Swastika restaurant & Swastika Accommodation house? Conveniently ignoring that for some reason?

So FUCK OFF PC WANKER!

Why would you assume I have no idea about the atrocities that occurred during WW2? And further assume you have had more contact with those affected?

Who else is using a screen name? With the added feature of a Swastika in his Avatar?

You seem to enjoy labeling people. "PC", what exactly do you mean by that? If someone finds Swastika reminds them of an evil regime is that PC?

Regarding the restaurant and Hotel that feature the Swastika as part of the name.... Well you did point out that it is a symbol of certain religions and beliefs in those very areas. What a surprise. Appropriate use there.

Are you actually a Hindu or practicing Buddhist?

Is that why you chose that photo when so many more are easily available that depict 18 foot skiff under sail?

My avatar photo shows a small duck in flight. The duck represents a nickname used for my children when they were little tykes. My boat is named for the kids nickname. The duck is important to my family.

Is the Swastika important to you. Does it represent something near and dear to your heart? 

Please put me on ignore. Really.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Regarding the restaurant and Hotel that feature the Swastika as part of the name.... Well you did point out that it is a symbol of certain religions and beliefs in those very areas.

Picking & choosing eh? What a hypocrite.

How are you going with your quest to remove the symbol from the US Air Force Museum aircraft they have on display?  Or are you one of those do as I say, not as I do hypocrites?

Used on the 18ft IS historic 1909 (or whatever you want to make a pedantic prick of yourself over.) and nothing to do with the Nazis.

PC. = Politically Correct. And you know it, one of only 2 on this thread.

And I have had enough of your PC crap. You are now on IGNORE - with one parting shot. FUCK OFF WANKER!

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

How are you going with your quest to remove the symbol from the US Air Force Museum aircraft they have on display?  Or are you one of those do as I say, not as I do hypocrites?

Used on the 18ft IS historic 1909 (or whatever you want to make a pedantic prick of yourself over.) and nothing to do with the Nazis.

And I have had enough of your PC crap. You are now on IGNORE - with one parting shot. FUCK OFF WANKER!

That was your quest re: the US Air Forces Museum....

Your Avatar represents the impression you give to those that share the forum.

Enjoy your rage and hate!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

You need help.

• Like 2

On 2018-03-23 at 4:53 PM, Plumber said:

$40 000 is the cost of being an insensitive prick. He should have known better.

Last time I looked, being an insensitive prick was not a crime. And who among us has not occasionally done foolish things that we've regretted.

golly gosh the swastika is really getting people upset, as mentioned it's an auspicious religious symbol for about a billion or people and a natural form of doodle art up to the Nazi party claimed ownership. Perhaps its time to claim it back for a better use or simply de-power it as a symbol of hate? For the jews it will be a symbol of offence but indian jews are pretty cool with it until its used insensitively

Was popular in the states too.

_78463617_swastika_comp624.jpg

A cross in lands ravaged by the crusades goes down like a cup of cold sick, so its all a matter of perspective. PPS's pic of an 18 footer is a curiosity and a reminder of how we project our prejudices. Familysailor is being a bit precious especially if his crusade against the symbol doesnt recognise history or he/she doesnt have the intelligence let alone the discrimination to see the difference between the use of a symbol for good luck or decoration and the use of symbol 20 years later as a symbol of Hitlers craziness and fascination with the occult.

12 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

golly gosh the swastika is really getting people upset, as mentioned it's an auspicious religious symbol for about a billion or people and a natural form of doodle art up to the Nazi party claimed ownership. Perhaps its time to claim it back for a better use or simply de-power it as a symbol of hate? For the jews it will be a symbol of offence but indian jews are pretty cool with it until its used insensitively

A cross in lands ravaged by the crusades goes down like a cup of cold sick, so its all a matter of perspective. PPS's pic of an 18 footer is a curiosity and a reminder of how we project our prejudices. Familysailor is being a bit precious especially if his crusade against the symbol doesnt recognise history or he/she doesnt have the intelligence let alone the discrimination to see the difference between the use of a symbol for good luck or decoration and the use of symbol 20 years later as a symbol of Hitlers craziness and fascination with the occult.

Good to know you're cool with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

16 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

Thank you.

The pic in my avatar is quite simply historic. It existed. It is history. A few PC wankers will try & change history and pretend it did not exist. The pic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Nazis.

No worries, its reality that plastering a swastika on your boat today would be poor taste at best and pretty indefensible given the PC world we live in but I object to rewriting history and faux outrage.

23 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Good to know you're cool with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Dont be a dick, of course Im not "cool" with mass murder and neither are about a billion Hindus and Buddhists. Thats the problem with the so-called social warriors- they are willfully ignorant of history, of context, of intent and devoid of any personal viewpoint that goes against groupthink.

• Like 1

4. The Swastikas girls' hockey team from Edmonton, Canada, around 1916.

The Swastikas girls' hockey team from Edmonton, Canada, around 1916.

A new AVATAR anyone??
  • Downvote 1

Hey y'all---

If you think posting Swastikas here as part of your Avatar is cool. Knock yourself out.

I realize that the symbol has represented other beliefs and religions in the past and currently in other places in the world.

I think Port Phil posted his image intentionally either because he thinks it's clever or because he supports the Nazi thought process.

As I pointed out there are many other historical photos of 18 foot skiffs without swastikas, Same vintage, sail configuration and historical significance. He said it was the only photo of the type he found. Other photos of skiffs he has posted come from the same sources I have found. So his stated reason is bunk...

To me the Swastika represents pure evil as demonstrated by the Nazi regime during WWII and currently throughout the world by Neo-Nazi organizations. Here in the US there is a disturbing trend toward racism and extreme hatred with the Swastika being used by the knuckleheads that lean that way.

If I have hurt Port Phil's feelings or any of you supporters of the Swastika who's religious or spiritual beliefs rely on the symbol to provide uplifting emotional support, I apologize.

No...really.

Oh Gutterblack. Read the entire thread. Nowhere have I failed to acknowledge the historical and current use of the Swastika prior to the Nazi regime hijacking it.

• Like 1

They can read all they want, won't make a difference to them. 

1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Thank you.

The pic in my avatar is quite simply historic. It existed. It is history. A few PC wankers will try & change history and pretend it did not exist. The pic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Nazis.

Just put them all on ignore, you are all wasting bandwidth on a pointless circle jerk wankfest...........

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Just put them all on ignore, you are all wasting bandwidth on a pointless circle jerk wankfest...........

At pps  extreme age I doubt a circle jerk is an option