jabrams

Melges 32 wet hull

I am learning about the Melges 32 and keep hearing about wet hulls. Where is the water getting in at? Does the deck/cockpit need to sealed if the boat is left outside on a regular basis? 

Thanks 

The interior paint absorbed water.  Look for one that his been opened up, dried out and repainted.  There was a reason scot got his so cheap

Keep box to hull joint, engine well to Hull joinnt. Around he through hills.  The core is triple cut and many areas aren't fully filled during construction.  Water gets in the channels and does its thing. 

Thanks. I am gonna do the crazy thing of get a melges, put bottom paint on her and keep her in a slip. This way I can actually use her more then using a hoist all the time. Looks like I need to seal up some areas to keep water out 

On 3/28/2018 at 6:38 AM, crashtestdummy said:

The interior paint absorbed water.  Look for one that his been opened up, dried out and repainted.  There was a reason scot got his so cheap

And FYI to jabrams.  I will have my boat down to St. Pete Friday and you can look around in it if you wish.  I am delivering it either Thursday night or Friday.

You can also notice how the interior was repainted.....

thanks, will look at it this weekend before the race,  since I have to take my son to hockey Friday night. . Also I think crash was talking about Scot the editors melges with all the water that was documented on here a while back. 

Now just need to sell the 105 and go after The Melges (wife said hell no to owning both) 

Yeah my apologies.  I jumped to a conclusion too fast.  CTD was referring to Tempesta, not me.  Just coincidence on the name.  Dang luck.

There have been some interesting rumors circling about my boat, which is why I got so defensive so quick.

Funniest I have heard so far was I purchased it from a Japanese businessman and it had no mast.  After I picked myself up off the floor from laughing, I asked the person who told me this what that 52' carbon stick next to the boat was for then and why the heck was it registered from Connecticut.....

My apologies to CTD for jumping on him.