Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

a hot topic fur shur, pizza making

Recommended Posts

On 4/6/2018 at 4:58 PM, BillDBastard said:

Is that some sort of invite???

perhaps........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking of purchasing this Portuguese Brick Oven https://www.grillsnovens.com/wood-fired-pizza-oven.html. Anyone have any experience with it by chance? I debated ordering one of the DIY forms from Brickwood Ovens (http://www.brickwoodovens.com/pizza-ovens) which seem simple enough, but after calculating the cost of materials, as well as the time for build, the $1,600 ($1,400 if I pick it up) seems a very good deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

:lol: i've no idea what actually makes it Portuguese

Dried anchovies...... Trust me. Holds the whole thing together..... Those little zipper like skeletons are the key to every thing Portuguese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Dried anchovies...... Trust me. Holds the whole thing together..... Those little zipper like skeletons are the key to every thing Portuguese.

My Italian mother made a spaghetti with anchovies to die for.  Basically aglio i olio with anchovies instead of hot peppers.  Love those things, I eat them right out of the can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillDBastard said:

Wait...... Vino Tinto has anchovies in it????

Give it that special bouquet, reminiscent of...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BillDBastard said:

And here I thought that was just aftertaste from the night before.......

That too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Wait...... Vino Tinto has anchovies in it????

Oh, I have a couple bottles of a very nice vino tinto sitting in the cellar. It’s time for some paella.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hay How about a BEETizza

with egg on top

I'm sure a KIWI Could eat one B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abeetz izza ting ya gnow....

Eetz notta pie so muchaza attitudude....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

My Italian mother made a spaghetti with anchovies to die for.  Basically aglio i olio with anchovies instead of hot peppers.  Love those things, I eat them right out of the can.

 

Yeah man - my wife makes Clams and Spaghetti, w/a base made from Olive Oil, reduced anchovies, pesto and clam juice.   Them little salty fishes add just the right taste to what would otherwise be a pretty bland sauce. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 2slow said:

71+mfBimYVL._SL1500_.jpghttps://uuni.net/

Have you guys seen these?  $299 uses wood pellets gets to over 900 F in 10 minutes.  I think I might have to get one,  great reviews on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Uuni-Portable-Pellet-Pizza-Stainless/dp/B06VW7YLDL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That actually looks pretty cool - I bet you could broil meat on it pretty well too! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Yeah man - my wife makes Clams and Spaghetti, w/a base made from Olive Oil, reduced anchovies, pesto and clam juice.   Them little salty fishes add just the right taste to what would otherwise be a pretty bland sauce. 

My mother made a nice clam sauce but she used canned minced clams because we didn't live near any salt water and years ago fresh seafood was hard to find away from the coasts.  No anchovies in it.  My Italian grandmother would buy fresh clams at the local street market in her neighborhood in Rome and she could make a calm sauce to die for.  And baked mussels on the half shell with butter, breadcrumbs, and and garlic.  OMG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

My mother made a nice clam sauce but she used canned minced clams because we didn't live near any salt water and years ago fresh seafood was hard to find away from the coasts.  No anchovies in it.  My Italian grandmother would buy fresh clams at the local street market in her neighborhood in Rome and she could make a calm sauce to die for.  And baked mussels on the half shell with butter, breadcrumbs, and and garlic.  OMG!

i'm hungry - and am on my own for supper, and planned to eat cheese and salami 'cause I won't get home 'til about 8 tonight, too late to cook.  all this talk may prompt me to do something different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

i'm hungry - and am on my own for supper, and planned to eat cheese and salami 'cause I won't get home 'til about 8 tonight, too late to cook.  all this talk may prompt me to do something different. 

I'm thinking raw oysters to start, shrimp cocktail, some clams and mussels steamed in white wine and garlic and some nice crusty French bread with a nice white wine.  But that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only live about 20 miles from the Gulf, but trying to get fresh seafood here is like trying to get lamb, or decent beef..... It just ain't gonna happen.  Having grown up on the water, I was used to eating seafood 3-4 times a week. Mussels, clams, lobster (If you're local, and know who catches them, or you catch them yourself, they're cheap), crab (which I never liked) oysters, flounder, Bluefish, Shark, Stripers, Scallops.....

 Man, I look at the "previously frozen" shit in the stores here, and can see how bad it smells..... No wonder nobody buys it.... It's gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm thinking raw oysters to start, shrimp cocktail, some clams and mussels steamed in white wine and garlic and some nice crusty French bread with a nice white wine.  But that's just me.

Wrong time of the year for good fresh oysters around here, but, that does indeed sound good.  

 

53 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I only live about 20 miles from the Gulf, but trying to get fresh seafood here is like trying to get lamb, or decent beef..... It just ain't gonna happen.  Having grown up on the water, I was used to eating seafood 3-4 times a week. Mussels, clams, lobster (If you're local, and know who catches them, or you catch them yourself, they're cheap), crab (which I never liked) oysters, flounder, Bluefish, Shark, Stripers, Scallops.....

 Man, I look at the "previously frozen" shit in the stores here, and can see how bad it smells..... No wonder nobody buys it.... It's gross.

Sacrilege... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I only live about 20 miles from the Gulf, but trying to get fresh seafood here is like trying to get lamb, or decent beef..... It just ain't gonna happen.  Having grown up on the water, I was used to eating seafood 3-4 times a week. Mussels, clams, lobster (If you're local, and know who catches them, or you catch them yourself, they're cheap), crab (which I never liked) oysters, flounder, Bluefish, Shark, Stripers, Scallops.....

 Man, I look at the "previously frozen" shit in the stores here, and can see how bad it smells..... No wonder nobody buys it.... It's gross.

I am with you on the crab thing.  Too much money, too much work and not enough meat to make it worthwhile.  Now cold water lobster, that's another story.  

I often say people who don't like fish because it tastes fishy never had freshly caught, well cared for, fish before.  I almost never order fish in a restaurant unless I can see it first.  Some fish freeze well and you almost never see them fresh, tuna and sword fish come to mind, but otherwise it better be fresh.  I ate a ton of sushi when I lived in Japan and virtually all of the tuna is frozen.  If it's good enough for the Japanese people, and they know fresh fish better than most, that's good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie, will you please knock it off? I am starting to see we see eye to eye on far more than our differences. Damn almost, almost , think you are a good guy.

Dick!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ime am notte a lobstere/crabbe fanantic, ist edditable and hieley overe raitted IMHO.  I haft to admitte i haive enjoide some fine lobsteres thowe.  At a weddeng in Nantuckette aftere the rehearsalle dinnere as you walkled in thay asksed if you wearre halving oune, if so woude pulle live lobstere an drpoppe it in potte.  When cooked, fined you, delivere it 'oppened up' readey to eate 'on the hoofe.'  Anorther time delliveareng boatte frome BI we hailled mann whille pulleng hisse pottes and gotte 4 forre $20.  Popte into boilleng h2o withing yen minuttes frome potte, adde melltid buttere = purre heavene.   :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite fishes is Kingfish..... It's in the Mackerel family.... Fresh, it is terrific. It doesn't last a day on ice w/o turning yellow and stinky....

 Barracuda is much the same.... If it's small, and fresh, it's delish, If it's even a day old, even on ice, it's cat food.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ime am notte a lobstere/crabbe fanantic, ist edditable and hieley overe raitted IMHO.  I haft to admitte i haive enjoide some fine lobsteres thowe.  At a weddeng in Nantuckette aftere the rehearsalle dinnere as you walkled in thay asksed if you wearre halving oune, if so woude pulle live lobstere an drpoppe it in potte.  When cooked, fined you, delivere it 'oppened up' readey to eate 'on the hoofe.'  Anorther time delliveareng boatte frome BI we hailled mann whille pulleng hisse pottes and gotte 4 forre $20.  Popte into boilleng h2o withing yen minuttes frome potte, adde melltid buttere = purre heavene.   :)

Trying to remember.... something about sailor's rights way back in times of old, where there was a limit to how often a captain could feed the crew lobster on a voyage as they were considered a garbage food..... lower than a chicken. Funny how now-a-days it is almost a delicacy.

This one time in Maine, GF says we should head over to a lobstaman and see if he would sell us some catch of the day. Lobstaman asks how much she was willing to pay, she flashed her tatas.... we ate well that evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Trying to remember.... something about sailor's rights way back in times of old, where there was a limit to how often a captain could feed the crew lobster on a voyage as they were considered a garbage food..... lower than a chicken. Funny how now-a-days it is almost a delicacy.

This one time in Maine, GF says we should head over to a lobstaman and see if he would sell us some catch of the day. Lobstaman asks how much she was willing to pay, she flashed her tatas.... we ate well that evening.

Generally, at the dock, I would pay $3-5 per pound, depending on the time of year..... At the store $5-7 per pound.

Here, if you can find a live one in a tank, it's close to $17 per pound, and from my experience in the past, they tend to be mostly shell if they're living in a tank.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the Gluten-Free cheese pizzas at Costco, which says to cook on an open rack in the oven at 450F.  You don't want me to explain why Gluten-Free is necessary.

Note to self:  Do not load up with extra toppings, because the damn things do not have structural integrity.  It draped itself between the bars of rack and ensconced itself on the bottom of the oven.  It does work with a baking sheet and a bit of cornmeal.

I have found great 10" diameter flat bread that I cook on the Gas BBQ.  I like to do 2-3 versions at a time, keeping the ingredients simple, as in Italy.

I start with great olive oil on the flat bread and then:  Sliced fresh heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, a bit of fresh mozzarella and home-grown oregano.

or: Shredded Mozzarella cheese, sliced mushrooms, kale, and pine nuts

or: More to come later. . . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kale?

I thought that whole Kale thing was passe......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kale?? well I do put Ubi greens on pizza..kinda like fresh spinach ( It's Ubi ( Cassava) not the other plant ur thinking)Image result for indonesian Ubi plantImage result for indonesian Ubi plant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 1:12 AM, BillDBastard said:

Eddie, will you please knock it off? I am starting to see we see eye to eye on far more than our differences. Damn almost, almost , think you are a good guy.

Dick!

Bastard!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

definitely

blue crab's ok, but dungeness is fantastic. 

No argument - I don't think I've tried ANY crab that I haven't loved.  Have yet to try coconut crab, looking forward to that when the opportunity presents itself...  I'm not usually as fond of claw meat as backfin, but, the Stonecrab claws are an exception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found one of these at the local SwapMeat = $15

Rocks on a CostCo 12" Pizza Better than in my JennAir Convection Oven

100% Perfectly even Top/Bottom , Pic exactly how well cooked you want it

1,400 watts so it shall come camping and to Beach/Bay Bonfires

12-inch portable pizza oven.

Portable 12" pizza oven. Portable 12″ pizza oven. Portable 12" pizza oven slide out tray. Portable 12″ pizza oven slide out tray. Portable 12" pizza oven showing the slide out tray. Portable 12″ pizza oven showing the slide out tray.

This portable pizza oven will cook up to a 12-inch pizza.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No argument - I don't think I've tried ANY crab that I haven't loved.  Have yet to try coconut crab, looking forward to that when the opportunity presents itself...  I'm not usually as fond of claw meat as backfin, but, the Stonecrab claws are an exception. 

Coconut crab claws are good, and if you get a few really big ones, they're quite filling. The claws will grow back, so only take 1 off of each crab, and release the crab so it can regenerate.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 6:01 AM, B.J. Porter said:

We used to have a pizza stone.  Very nice one.

Didn't fit in the Force 10 so we sold it at a yard sale before we moved on the boat.

Our pizza is way better now. 

But that said, i put a tile square in the Princess POS on my boat which has really helped with ‘hot spots’ temperature control. I have heard of people cutting down pizza stones to fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this