This is proabably in the wrong forum ...

My venerable Agile dinghy boots have just about given up, at 30 years old I'm not complaining.

Recommendations please for size 12s  (flat feet and substantial ankles!)

Ta.

What do you expect from your boots. I've settled on split toe surfing boots. But then I don't hike out with a strap over my foot. On the string, I need max grip and like to grab the rails with my toes so a soft sole surfing boot is great. The split toe keeps the boot from rolling on me. When I did sail a Laser, I soon ditched boots for shoes. I had boots for a bit but found them a pain when trying to swim after a capsize and then held the water so my feet would start to get sore at long regattas. I'd probably stick with the surfing boots and maybe add some padding to the top if I were to start sailing Lasers again.

53 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

This is proabably in the wrong forum ...

My venerable Agile dinghy boots have just about given up, at 30 years old I'm not complaining.

Recommendations please for size 12s  (flat feet and substantial ankles!)

Ta.

right forum. I can't tell you what to get but i can tell you what not to get. My venerable aigles also finally gave up last year . Found out that aigle doesn't make the boots anymore but that another company Neil Pryde was making the new version which basically looks the same. The problem  was that they were hard to get in the US at least in my size ( they are listed on the interweb but when you check on delivery, they are back ordered ) but after talking with every supplier I found one pair of 13's ( which is what you need for size 12 feet in this boot) . i was so happy and felt so lucky. This feeling was shortlived.

When I got the boot, I saw that the sole was a different pattern and didn't look very grippy. Boy, was I right . Tried to sail on a boat with regular nonskid and I could not even stand without slipping. They work on my finn as it has hydroturf ( very grippy eva foam ) but when i get out of the boat and onto a ramp to pull the boat out , I slip and fall down. They are the worst boots ever !!!   

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5021-651/Moque-Boots-High

I swear by these.  Snug fit, warm, great grip, thick soles for wear/protection from sticky bits/stiffness so they don't flop around.  Usually go through a pair every 1-1.5 seasons owing to the use of aggressive nonskid on the boat.  Haven't yet found a similar bootie outside of MEC in Canada but makes gift-giving easy on the family since they know to get me a new pair every year.

I wear a pair of synthetic socks underneath that go in the wash after every event so as not to get that dreaded bootie stink (as distinct from booty stink) - this precludes the use of the split toe variety.  

Thanks guys, I sail a hiking boat so I do need reinforcement over the instep area, which precludes surf shoes, those I found that type good for trap work on warm days.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Oh, well let me help you decide then.  Choose a boat with trapezes instead of hiking straps and it'll make your boot selection a lot easier, among other things.

Pom,

I have a pair of image.png.247355514b4a3f0521d4fa7ac23c11d8.png

and sail a B14, so lots of hiking, great boot, for grip on deck, comfort when hiking and warmth in good old Blighty.

Got them from https://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?mc=Clothing&sc=Footwear&ssc=Dinghy Boots

they do talk about Worldwide shipping so may be able to help, look under Miscellaneous and DELIVERY RATES.

Regards

I use the Gill trapeze boots which are very similar to the gill dinghy boots. Less top instep padding.

Thin soles for good feel, good grip and pretty warm (51d water here all year) I sometimes drive so they work for hiking, but if full time hiking on laser or Finn would wear out the tops pretty fast, 

Zhik also makes a good hiking boot

none of these compare to the Aigle boot of the past. I agree with Surf that the new NP boots do not look grippy and are expensive and hard to get. All the above do not keep your feet dry and you may need additional warmth. I run standard with silk wicking socks and when really cold fleece socks

On 3/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, some dude said:

really liking the Magic Marine Frixion boots.  grippy and comfortable on the Finn

http://www.magicmarineshop.co.uk/Magic-Marine/Waterwear/Dinghy-Boots-Footwear

why did you choose that over the tension boot ? They both look like what I need after the next time I slip in my boots and I throw them away

I dont remember now (bought them last summer).  May have just been those are the ones I could get shipped in time

But they're great.  Grippy top and bottom.  The sole is really soft so I only wear them in the boat (plus they're so soft they track black stuff from the boat park into the boat), but other than that they're great.  I like that the velcro strap keeps them tight around the ankle but loose on the foot.  I was an Aigle guy for years but I like these better. 

PS order them through Joe if he can get them in time for you-he's doing great things for the class 

Usually I sail barefoot.. but

my boat’s nice new nonskid ripped up my feet Saturday

so... Yesterday I sailed with boots on for the first time in many  years... 

thrn I tossed the boots and socks in my truck while I did the post Regatta clean up of the clubhouse.

it was sunny  and In The eighties 

two hours later I nearly tossed my cookies when I opened the truck door...

sure... water boarding is torture but 

nothing on this  planet rivals old wet hiking boots 

9 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Usually I sail barefoot.. but

my boat’s nice new nonskid ripped up my feet Saturday

so... Yesterday I sailed with boots on for the first time in many  years... 

thrn I tossed the boots and socks in my truck while I did the post Regatta clean up of the clubhouse.

it was sunny  and In The eighties 

two hours later I nearly tossed my cookies when I opened the truck door...

sure... water boarding is torture but 

nothing on this  planet rivals old wet hiking boots 

True dat

1 hour ago, some dude said:

PS order them through Joe if he can get them in time for you-he's doing great things for the class 

definitely. Joe is awesome. Looking forward to seeing him in a couple of days at the nationals. 

5 hours ago, surf nazi said:

definitely. Joe is awesome. Looking forward to seeing him in a couple of days at the nationals. 

Looks like a great event shaping up. Hate to miss it