Sign in to follow this  
impetuous_donkey

Seeking greener pastures

I purchased a monohull I thought would meet all my needs but an addition to the family 10 months ago has me rethinking boat options. I've been browsing online and really like the idea of Farrier's designs. The  F27/28 or F31/F9 multihull have really caught my attention, I'd really like something that is easier to single hand and I think the F27/28 seems reasonable in that regard but the girlfriend would definitely like the interior of a F31 more. Do you all think about single handing a F31 and can they be stored with the mast up on the trailer? I'd also like to race it occasionally here in the PNW but don't seem to see many of them out on there racing in the southsound, are there any events around here where I might see more than one other multi?

There is an active racer in Olympia who has built 2 F9A's.  He would love to have company.  I greatly prefer the F31 over the 28 just because it has a real head, and standing (~6'-0") headroom.  28 is easier to trailer sail but at 66 years of age I have no problem raising and lowering my F31 mast solo. 

Here is our local group: NWMA.   If you can come up to our meeting in Seattle Tuesday April 3 you can find out info about racing F boats in the area, (and probably snag a ride with one of us to see what it is all about).  I expect several racers will be there.  To further entice you; multihull luminary Tom Speer, member of the Oracle design team for several campaigns, will present an inside look at the America’s Cup and where it’s headed.    Tom is a member of our club and is extremely entertaining and has the inside scoop on Oracle and AC stuff.  Hope you can make it. 

Also, Seattle has a new Corsair dealer, Wright Yachts.  NWMA is roughly half F-boaters and half all shapes, ages and sizes of Multihulls with a 50 year history in the area.

I'll also add that there is an active Yahoo group of f-boaters called Fboat.  Until he died last Dec Ian Farrier often contributed to the more technical queries about his great boats.  The f-boats group (plural) is somewhat active but Ian did not contribute to that.  Ian lived in Bellevue for a number of years and would come to the NWMA meetings.  What a great resource to have the designer around and to authoritatively answer questions from anonymous people on a forum. RIP Ian.

Correction; the second Olympia f-boat is an F32, not a 9A.

Just a thought: you might want to title your thread something like "Looking at F-boats in the PNW" or similar.  You will get more hits.  I don't look at every thread in SA and might have missed this one if I wasn't bored and killing time in an airport,  (I wouldn't have connected the dots between green pastures and F-boats.......)

Good luck and hope to meet up with you on the 3rd.  Ask for Eric if you get there.

Thanks for the ideas Eric, I cleared next Tuesday with the boss lady so I'll be there. 

cheers,

Branden

Once you get a tast of the dark side, you will never go back. 

I own an F-27 and have only sailed an F31 once. There are many plusses and minuses, but it should be noted that an F-31 is about 3X the price of a good F-27. However the F-31 feels like a much bigger boat than you would think for only an extra 4ft. 

I have found mulihull  racing in my area to be good, but not nearly as intense as the OD racing I did before multihulls. 

Will echo Mizzmo's comments.  The racing is nowhere near as good as what I get in a Laser fleet.  But I also own and love my F27... just not for serious racing. 

The F31 is a much bigger boat sailing wise and can handle much more.  But comfort wise I am not sure you get much more than just more space relative to the F27.

^^^^This^^^^

I would also argue that the F-27 has almost as much "usable" space as the C/F-31.  The storage areas behind the seats are wider.  The cubby space under the comings is sealed off in the 28s and 31s, etc.

Full disclaimer: I owned an F-27 for 18 years, and enjoyed the boat so much that I will be transitioning back to a F-27 when our F-25C program ends.

-MH

Thanks for the insight on the 27 vs the 31. I'll definitely need to check out the 27/28 as well. While I think the budget should allow for a 31 the price on the 27's would be a lot easier to stomach.

If you want roomy comfortable, safe, fast trailerable multihull, check out how much more boat you get than an F9RX with Cat2Fold. Price is negotiable...

http://catamarans.com/portal/catamaran-full-specifications.aspx?pCondition=Preowned&pManufacturer=CUSTOM&pModel=Cat2Fold&pModelYear=2004&pName=CAT-2-FOLD&Vessel_id=820484&ListingType=Full Specifications

D5A65C0D-3BC1-4898-8F67-464CA513B3D3.jpeg

No question Ian designed boats that are easy to trailer, put together, take apart, and sail easily.  There have been other threads discussing the mid size fboats like the 27/28 compared to the 31.  Most folks agree that the best bang for the buck is the 27/28 while the 31 has more room and speed.  Some folks, and I agree, say that the 31is a very powerful boat and for folks with less experience it is possible to get in trouble in a hurry if the wind/gust pipes up.  I have to say all the fboats are stupid fun to sail.  As a rule the fboat will be the fastest boat in the harbor (yea, I know exotics can run circles around them but they are few and far between).  The first time I sailed on an f24, which I was considering buying, I got in a race with a Beneteau 46 in maybe 10-12 knots of wind and left it in the dust.  Thing was I was at the tiller and using two fingers to steer.  They are stupid fun to sail and the 31 is a bare bones cruiser if you want to rough it.  I highly recommend a composting head for weight saving and lack of smell.  Storing with the mast up is probably more of a question for the marina where you are keeping it and the power lines.  But in Niceville there are several stored with the mast up (Windcraft is the local dealer there).  Check youtube for vids of taking them apart and putting them together.  Compare those vids to taking apart and putting together other trailer sailers.  The Dragonflys are the only thing that compares to the ease of use, if you take into account the fact that you have to find one to buy.  Which is another advantage of the fboats; there is a real market to buy and sell them.  I very seldom see Dragonflys on the market and never in the numbers of fboats.  Which means you can both buy and sell them easier than most other options.  I wound up getting a Seawind 1000 with sugarscoop extensions.  It is a much different boat than the fboats; something you can cruise on long term.  But if I was living on dirt and sailing in free time I would get an fboat.