Alaris

Looking for used Megabyte

I don’t have a clue where to even look for one. Does anyone have a line on a used megabyte?

A bit out of date, but there are some in your area.

Maybe ask people at Zim if they know anyone, or put ad on www.sailingtexas.com in boats wanted section.

Fun boat, I love mine.  Fast, fairly comfortable.

I've been looking for one for over a year. Found a guy in Kansas City with  a great boat for sale with both rigs we are just separated by 1,000 miles and cant seam to work out the logistics. There is one that comes up on craigslist in Massachusetts once in a while and every time I try to contact them I get crickets. I've had a WTB add on Sailing Texas and the head of a Megabyte group contacted me and suggested keeping an eye out with the Ozark Sailing Club and Capital City Sailing Association as there where active fleets in both these locations. I'm a 220# mid 40's sailor that grew up racing Lasers, I do allot of keelboat racing and beachcat sailing for fun but still but just love sailing small simple boats by myself, A laser is too cramped and doesn't float me very well. I'm making do with an old Force 5 but Id  like something with a better rig and foils.

Why not just go with the real deal, and sail a Finn?  Lots of boats in the US, fleets around the country as well.  If you're in the gulf coast, there's a huge fleet in Fairhope, Alabama.

I know of one coming up for sale shortly.  On Maui.  But don't worry - I can get it to Oahu for you.  After that...

As for the Finn vs Megabyte thing - it's been done before,  while the Finn is far more established,  the Mega is just SO MUCH simpler as to make the comparison more than a little of a mis-match.

Best luck,  and keep looking - I really like mine.

At 190, I’m a little light for a Finn. I’m even a little light for the MB but I have sailed one extensively in college. But I’m 6’6” and the size of the MB is just right for me.

Finally, when you can find one, used MBs are a fraction of the price of a good Finn. 

I have not found one. Where are you and what can you tell me about it?

The Maui boat showed up,  it's at my house on Oahu now - ready for pick-up.  Missing:  Main halyard and rudder shaft,  otherwise complete and intact.  My buddy's custom dolly is a bit half-baked,  but the rest is good-to-go.

Brewster, Massachusetts

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/73368

image.png.7ab7670e6501389ae16c402cde09e4c0.png

On 5/21/2018 at 4:37 PM, Great Red Shark said:

The Maui boat showed up,  it's at my house on Oahu now - ready for pick-up.  Missing:  Main halyard and rudder shaft,  otherwise complete and intact.  My buddy's custom dolly is a bit half-baked,  but the rest is good-to-go.

it should join the dinghy fleet over at Kaneohe...

Nice photo of the Mark 2 rig and sail,  Port Wine - but I'd never seen,  or even thought of a mast-head float on them !

Raz'r,  I sail KBay,  (there's a decent lauch just 3 miles from my house)  but have little interest in getting in the way of the Laser racers

Local owner says he wants to sell his so  possibly for sale in NE Ohio/ Western Pa.  I can pm details 

Third mast tip break, while just tacking up a channel.   Really gutted at this point.  I like the boat while it's operational but this is now the second full mast I've bought for the boat -and the boat's third spar.

Support from Zim seems to have dried up.  They have the RS Aero now and replied to me that the Megabyte was an "inherited" boat and then the silent treatment since.    Not much good without a mast.  I hope you have better luck that I.

My brother has one in Florida and he just bought a Nacra 5.2 so probably will sell the Megabyte. I will find out his plans in the next couple of days and report .