Recommended Posts

I need to upgrade the 10+ year old chart plotter on a recently acquired J/109.  Wondering if other JBoaters in my bracket have some suggestions?  I'm leaning toward B&G.  Trying to keep the existing Raymarine autopilot which is NMEA 2000 compliant.  I'm also planning on mounting the new 9" or larger unit it in the nav station and using a tablet as a repeater in the cockpit, at least for next season.  If that is too annoying, I'd consider adding a second B&G at the helm.  However, I don't love how those look on 109's, 105's etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just replaced the plotter in my 109 about a year ago and went with a B&G Zeus3.  Nice unit, very happy with it and super easy to send it to your phone or tablet out in the cockpit.  I thought about mounting it at the wheel but couldn't find a way to do it that I liked & having the option to use the tablet in the cockpit is a good option.  Another possibility depending on your needs is to put the zeus at the nav station and a smaller Vulcan unit above the companionway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I for one when it was time to set up electronics on my J/109 said "to hell with the aesthetics" and was not at all concern what having a chartplotter above the binnacle would look like, and BOY was I happy to have had it there for 12 years!! I had one large Northstar 6000i below at the chart table, and another smaller unit networked on a Navpod with custom stainless steel above the binnacle. The autopilot and a WHAM for the VHF were also mounted there, and it was a fantastic setup functionally speaking, ESPECIALLY when the going got rough. See attached pics of the setup.

Beyond making it really easy for the helmsman to figure out where to go, the height of the stainless steel 1) gave us something to pin the boom to as we were dropping and flaking the kite, and 2) a reality-check as to when we needed to increase the hoist on the main because there was so much backstay on.It also was a terrific hand-hold as one moved for and after of the wheel, as that 54" wheel did not leave much room to get through.

On my new J/112e, I'm going with a 12" B&G Zeus3 on a Navpod in the same spot, but as the autopilot can be controlled from the Zeus3 I don't need a dedicate control at the helm, and can have a smaller pod with a bigger chartplotter. Which is good, because as I get older my eyesight seems to be getting bad, so the bigger the screen the better.

Not a big fan on a loose tablet in the cockpit for navigating, especially if I am single handing. One more thing to drop in the drink!! ;-)

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 12.40.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 12.43.13 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On both the J/109 and the J/111 we've struggled with placement. Used to be a Raymarine e7 and now we're moving to a B&G Zeus3 7" (the biggest that fit within the frame). We also run iPads, but find that a plotter is needed for the helmsman if you want something that works 100% when it's rough. The Zeus should be good when it's wet.

We removed the compass (in favor of a smaller one) and put it as low as possible. Now we're removing the instrument and putting everything (both compass and remote VHF mic) on a specially built "pod". Don't forget to include MOB-buttons :-)

From this...

piedestal-j111-1.jpg

to this.

carbonpod.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been trying to figure this out too. The only reasonable option is above the compass. I have not mounted anything there yet beyond my 4" garmin handheld since I am worried the main sheet would eventually rip it all off. Any input from Blur and 11233 on this?

I have an ray e7 at the nav station and it works fine including wifi to my i-stuff. The tablets and phone are just ok, easy to drop, short battery life, hard to see in the sun etc. I end up using the dedicated handheld gps most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had a better picture of the setup, but apparently I never took pictures from BEHIND the wheel looking forward. I liked the fact the setup was so high, it made it easy to see, and not once in 25,000 miles did I eve get the mainsheet fouled around the binnacle/electronics pod. That is why I'm doing pretty much the same thing with the 112, albeit with a larger chartplotter.

Now I WOULD be worried the mainsheet would rip off the 4" Garmin handheld...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, the garmin is on a plastic cradle that will pop loose if hit and it is tethered to the boat. Not a perfect system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steele said:

I have been trying to figure this out too. The only reasonable option is above the compass. I have not mounted anything there yet beyond my 4" garmin handheld since I am worried the main sheet would eventually rip it all off. Any input from Blur and 11233 on this?

That's always been my concern too and why I opted to not mount anything there.  The mainsheet on our boat occasionally gets caught on the back side of the metal hoop on the binnacle during jibes and if the wind is up there's a whole lot of tension on the sheet.  Doesn't mean it can't be done as Blur and 11233 have shown some good options.  I personally just couldn't bring myself to chance it but maybe I'm being too cautious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't find any good pics, but you can see the setup we had on the 109 pretty well in this video: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These replies are very helpful and just what I needed.  Looks like B&G is the way to go.  109 owners are a great class of peeps.  Glad to know that others have struggled with finding the best placement of the nav unit at the binnacle as well.  I’ve seen a couple of boats with flat screens mounted on elbows below that swing out to be visible through the companionway but I’m not sure that is for me either.  I also agree that iOS devices aren’t a great substitute for the real thing. We used those on the 105 in regattas and it was never perfect - lots of juggling, glare issues, battery issues, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 9 inch Zeus 2 mounted in a pod above the compass,  and 2 triton 2s above the companionway.  The Zeus is great for motoring and etc, but far less useful racing.  I often have a crew act as EWO and show me the mirrored Zeus display rather than try to look or manipulate it myself while driving, especially in any wind. Typically everyone on the boat has a phone and often 2 iPads as well, that’s 10 or so screens, lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 10:50 AM, Blur said:

On both the J/109 and the J/111 we've struggled with placement. Used to be a Raymarine e7 and now we're moving to a B&G Zeus3 7" (the biggest that fit within the frame). We also run iPads, but find that a plotter is needed for the helmsman if you want something that works 100% when it's rough. The Zeus should be good when it's wet.

We removed the compass (in favor of a smaller one) and put it as low as possible. Now we're removing the instrument and putting everything (both compass and remote VHF mic) on a specially built "pod". Don't forget to include MOB-buttons :-)

From this...

piedestal-j111-1.jpg

to this.

carbonpod.jpg

I have zero input on the topic of this thread, but that CF housing!  Did you make that yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I have zero input on the topic of this thread, but that CF housing!  Did you make that yourself?

Haha... yup. Bought 2 mm carbon sheets and are gluing/laminating those together (made some prototypes in cardboard). Way too much time/effort - but will make a statement :lol:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/cured-carbon-fibre-products/rigid-carbon-fibre-sheet/High-Strength-Carbon-Fibre-Sheet.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at Practical Sailor February 2018 issue, featured article is an evaluation of the B&G products on J/109 STRIDER.

Attached are some additional pictures, and the model numbers of the mounting products used

Picture 1: B&G 7" Zeus3 at the helm in a Seaview SP3S squeezed in almost right up against the wheel, plus 2x Triton 2's in Seaview SP1 Instrument Pods, pointing starboard and port viewable from the rail  (hidden among the white cup holders)

Picture 2: B&G 7" Zeus3 at the companionway flanked by Triton 2's.  Mast mount sports a large and small B&G display.

Newport12.thumb.jpg.bbd8e3fb91ebfdd933f5ee08ca65d0b5.jpg

5ac3c1f82bef1_Newport9lowres.jpg.752b991785ff688f28e8a3656edf35ef.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, b393capt said:

Take a look at Practical Sailor February 2018 issue, featured article is an evaluation of the B&G products on J/109 STRIDER.

Attached are some additional pictures, and the model numbers of the mounting products used

Picture 1: B&G 7" Zeus3 at the helm in a Seaview SP3S squeezed in almost right up against the wheel, plus 2x Triton 2's in Seaview SP1 Instrument Pods, pointing starboard and port viewable from the rail  (hidden among the white cup holders)

Picture 2: B&G 7" Zeus3 at the companionway flanked by Triton 2's.  Mast mount sports a large and small B&G display.

 

5ac3c1f82bef1_Newport9lowres.jpg.752b991785ff688f28e8a3656edf35ef.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Small device (w/ blue buttons) to the left is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is our $2 indoor kitchen timer with big buttons, that excels in ease of use vs. B&G.

The ultraviolet light is unkind to them, so they are velcro'd on/off, and there are normally two of them, one is spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, b393capt said:

5ac3c1f82bef1_Newport9lowres.jpg.752b991785ff688f28e8a3656edf35ef.jpg

 

What's the reasoning behind not using the mast-pod for more numbers? 

I thought I would miss the companionway mount when we moved from the J/109 to the J/111, but the mast is in line of sight for most of the crew. And in light conditions crew is way forward anyways?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are two poor photos of our set up on the 125.   We run 3 HV20/20 on the mast, and 3 triton2 over the hatch, these are all run off an H5000 with expedition feeding data as well.   Works great. 

 

 5ac50728e8279_4-4-201810-02-50AM.jpg.fb5c55c29dac1c342e52c6035c5c4585.jpg

 

5ac507b503111_4-4-201810-12-25AM.thumb.jpg.ba0a54779871a7d37916b30567aadcb6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 1:50 AM, Blur said:

What's the reasoning behind not using the mast-pod for more numbers? 

I thought I would miss the companionway mount when we moved from the J/109 to the J/111, but the mast is in line of sight for most of the crew. And in light conditions crew is way forward anyways?

I have more displays, ran out of time last season to install them. Still not much of a priority. I do like the MFD on the companionway. I can setup, without reaching through the wheel, while someone else takes the helm.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now