Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

For Any Vietnam Vets

Recommended Posts

I am not sure if all the vets out there are aware of this.  If you served in the military regardless of geographic location, during the Vietnam Era (Nov 1955-May 1975), you are eligible to get one of these lapel pins.  My first enlistment was in 1974 so I would qualify but as I went to Germany, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a pin that says Vietnam veteran, as I am not one.  I don't even say I am a Vietnam Era veteran.  But I know we have a few Vietnam vets here.  You can just go to one of the locations to get the pin, you don't need to be in a ceremony.

http://www.vietnamwar50th.com/about/vietnam_veteran_lapel_pin/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No disrespect meant but I would have thought it would be something you'd want to forget, not be constantly reminded of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SloopJonB said:

No disrespect meant but I would have thought it would be something you'd want to forget, not be constantly reminded of.

agreed .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No disrespect meant but I would have thought it would be something you'd want to forget, not be constantly reminded of.

That's because you're not one of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with the Vietnam vets that I know is that enough time has passed finally.  Time erases pain and creates a kind of nostalgia.  Also with the incessant pushing of the "thank you for your service" thing, it's acceptable to be a vet.  The military overall is a relatively small, exclusive, (co-ed) fraternity.  Currently, counting active duty personnel, a little over 7 % of Americans have served in the military.  Whenever vets get together among ourselves, we talk openly and freely.  We always have.  The nature of military life creates unique relationships with the people you work with different than most other jobs.  The only thing similar in civilian life is police, fire and EMS personnel, that's one reason why you find a lot of vets in those jobs.   It's a feeling and a bond you never forget and even more so with combat veterans.  It's something that is impossible to adequately describe, you have to experience it to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of Vietnam vet hats and license plates. The notion that they should be ashamed or embarrassed  of their service is offensive. And something only liberals or Canadians think. Pathetic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No disrespect meant but I would have thought it would be something you'd want to forget, not be constantly reminded of.

That could be taken as offensive.

After all it was not their decision to be sent to Vietnam. Most had no choice in the matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He put an average (for him) amount of thought into it. He never considers any perspective but his own.

It's a typical post from him.

He's average, so most of his post are, and this one certainly is, simply average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port, why am I not surprised that you didn't get it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

I see a lot of Vietnam vet hats and license plates. The notion that they should be ashamed or embarrassed  of their service is offensive. And something only liberals or Canadians think. Pathetic. 

Golly, I am a vet, a liberal, and I have a lot of respect for friends and others that are Vietnam vets, it's nothing to be ashamed of IMO.  How the hell did that happen!  I guess what you are saying is similar to saying that anybody that's from Cleveland and uses a dead sheepshead fish as their avatar must be some kind of idiot.  Sad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Golly, I am a vet, a liberal, and I have a lot of respect for friends and others that are Vietnam vets, it's nothing to be ashamed of IMO.  How the hell did that happen!  I guess what you are saying is similar to saying that anybody that's from Cleveland and uses a dead sheepshead fish as their avatar must be some kind of idiot.  Sad.

Go play in traffic. You're trying too hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Vietnam Vets actually feel shame or bewilderment as apparently some seem to think. The folks who served in that theater were mistreated and disrespected upon return by some very cruel and unfair leftwing ideologues. Dang shame, they served honorably although and even though they were not allowed to win.

You numbnuts who think they should shy away or be embarrassed for being recognized for their service to a thankful nation should really crawl back into the hole you climbed out of. 

E.L.,thanks for posting this and spreading the word.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

I don't know if Vietnam Vets actually feel shame or bewilderment as apparently some seem to think. The folks who served in that theater were mistreated and disrespected upon return by some very cruel and unfair leftwing ideologues. Dang shame, they served honorably although and even though they were not allowed to win.

You numbnuts who think they should shy away or be embarrassed for being recognized for their service to a thankful nation should really crawl back into the hole you climbed out of. 

E.L.,thanks for posting this and spreading the word.

Yer welcome again Bill.  I agree with you entirely.  Although there were some notable problems with some of the soldiers during the Vietnam War, military leaders and historians alike, agree that the draftees, enlistees, and officers that served in the Vietnam war performed magnificently, overall.  This in spite of the fact that 25% of the troops were draftees and many weren't terribly enthusiastic about being there.  Draftees accounted for 30% of the combat deaths during the war. 

It was an unpopular war with questionable motives for our being there but, for the most part the men and women that served in Vietnam acquitted themselves well.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Yer welcome again Bill.  I agree with you entirely.  Although there were some notable problems with some of the soldiers during the Vietnam War, military leaders and historians alike, agree that the draftees, enlistees, and officers that served in the Vietnam war performed magnificently, overall.  This in spite of the fact that 25% of the troops were draftees and many weren't terribly enthusiastic about being there.  Draftees accounted for 30% of the combat deaths during the war. 

It was an unpopular war with questionable motives for our being there but, for the most part the men and women that served in Vietnam acquitted themselves well.

 

 

Different times. Different thinking. Motive was to stop the spread of communism. Problem was you can't fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Disgraceful to criticize the guys who were sent there with no say in the matter, but still performed the duty expected of them by their country.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Motive was to stop the spread of communism.

Garbage .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Domino Theory.

Which was loosely based on containing communism.

The real reason for being there was the stupidity of the people in power.

Especially McNamara.

They had your same clueless attitude that just because someone called themselves communist, they actually were communist.

If they had enough common sense to recognize the realities of the situation they would have backed Ho after WW II and none of it would have happened.

Instead they went with labels and backed the fascist scum side of the ledger because they called themselves democratic.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The Domino Theory.

Which was loosely based on containing communism.

The real reason for being there was the stupidity of the people in power.

Especially McNamara.

There was plenty of blame to go around.  Westmoreland was a terrible general, he had quite a high opinion of himself as many do.  When Abrams took over he tightened things up and preformed quite well.  Johnson personally picking bombing targets didn't help at all, nor the heroic, yet useless defense of Khe Sanh just because LBJ didn't "want no "Din Bin Foo."  It was just a real fucked up war.   The chain of command shouldn't be allowed to abuse the fine people in the military for such disastrous misadventures.  Unfortunately, they never learn.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2018 at 11:20 PM, the_abandoned_brane said:

I see a lot of Vietnam vet hats and license plates. The notion that they should be ashamed or embarrassed  of their service is offensive. And something only liberals or Canadians think. Pathetic. 

I am a social democrat and Canadian, have visited Vietnam and place no blame for what happened on the soldiers who served there.  Their military leadership and the politicians that put them there in first place are another matter entirely.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2018 at 11:36 AM, Ed Lada said:

Also with the incessant pushing of the "thank you for your service" thing, it's acceptable to be a vet. 

Thanks for what?  What did you do for your country in Vietnam?

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck you can be an asshole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, random said:

Thanks for what?  What did you do for your country in Vietnam?

Nothing you'd understand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jammer Six said:
1 hour ago, random said:

Thanks for what?  What did you do for your country in Vietnam?

Nothing you'd understand.

No seriously, I'm interested in what they think they did to make their country a better place.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, random said:

No seriously, I'm interested in what they think they did to make their country a better place.

I'm sure you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

I'm sure you are.

So you don't know either?  Got me fucked too.  No one wants to educate me.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I checked the entire USA and Australia protested to get both countries out of SE Asia.  It worked.  Well that and the small thing about the North Vietnamese taking over the South and kicking every one out!

Since then, both governments have successfully launched a media storm to make the military cool again.  It's been fucking sickening here in Australia, John Howard kicked of a huge brain washing campaign.  Now there are less and less returned soldier to march on ANZAC Day, but more and more people march!

Most of the flag-sucking 'Thank-you' giving US population have no fucking idea why their trops were there or where the place is on the map.  All they know is that soldiers are cool again.

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread.  Plenty of robust informed debate.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, random said:

Great thread.  Plenty of robust informed debate.

Well you are the authority on robust informed debate, aren’t you Runningdung? :lol::lol::lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice pin, it is good to be honored, but some are not, nor will they ever be ready. 

My dad has only spoken to me once about his time in Vietnam and that was as I was leaving for Desert Storm. 

I wish I could get him to wear a pin like that but it wouldn't happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now there is tragedy.  Permanent war on the rest of the world sees successive generations off to fight people that pose no threat to them or their country.

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, random said:

Now there is tragedy.  Permanent war on the rest of the world sees successive generations off to fight people that pose no threat to them or their country.

 

Yeah well, for many reasons, none of us live in the world we would really like to live in.  Get over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's possible to get over what ails Randumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Yeah well, for many reasons, none of us live in the world we would really like to live in.  Get over it.

Permanent war is good for you is it?  War against people who never even threatened the USA?

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this