Sign in to follow this  
PinkSpinnaker

Tracking down Hobie 33's

Attention owners, crew, anyone at all. I would like to get a gauge on who had/has what Hobie 33, with the intent of starting a hull directory. If you owned, sailed on, or sailed against a Hobie 33, could you share the boats information? A hull directory would let sailors track boats they have sailed on or find boats local to them. 

Specifically looking for-Hull Number, Serial Number, Boat Name, Sail Number, City, State, Country, and Yacht Club.

Thanks!

57 minutes ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

Attention owners, crew, anyone at all. I would like to get a gauge on who had/has what Hobie 33, with the intent of starting a hull directory. If you owned, sailed on, or sailed against a Hobie 33, could you share the boats information? A hull directory would let sailors track boats they have sailed on or find boats local to them. 

Specifically looking for-Hull Number, Serial Number, Boat Name, Sail Number, City, State, Country, and Yacht Club.

Thanks!

Contact DAGO-PHRF  

they have much, on 1

Assume you're already using the resources and sounding board of hobie33class.com? 

Hi I picked up 1982 Hobie 33 Hull #008 "Stretch" in 2017. She is located in Point Roberts, WA. and sails out of PRYC. One thing different about her is the modified keel. 10" longer and 800 # heavier. She came in at 4830# to get her ORR certificate. has modified rudder as well.  Double spreader Ballenger mast in 2013. Also the o/b has been moved to the transom, and hull faired. She spent her life in Santa Cruz, CA until I picked her up.

20170325_121618.jpg

image002.jpg

• Like 1

There's a real nice one in Sarasota Florida - lifting keel version

Raced against Hobie 33, Myrage (USA 3113) in this year's Stingray Pt Regatta at Fishing Bay, VA.  They placed second overall in the A2 class.

Storm Trysail Yacht Club/ Hampton Yacht Club.... Va Beach, Va

A few years back the Commodore at my club asked me to take his identical twin granddaughters and some of their friends from the all girl college they attended out on his boat as they wanted to shoot some sort of video .  As it turned out once we got well past the bay the video they wanted to shoot was some sort of lesbian sex tape. I thought, gosh  why not so they all got naked and handed me the camera.  Then they started to....... oh wait it was an Olson 30 not a Hobie 33,  never mind  

• Like 1

I owned an F27 trimaran that I thought was the coolest boat ever.  The H33 is probably the coolest mono I have ever sailed on.  Well thought out and fun to sail.  I did a Queen's Cup on one back around '92 or so, and if the breeze came up and was beamy or aft, nothing could touch us.  Unfortunately, we did not have breeze and the race came down to us and Rush (N/M one ton...maybe owned by 1sailor at that point).  We rated the same and finished overlapped (for 3rd).  Very cool boat.  

55 minutes ago, VWAP said:

A few years back the Commodore at my club asked me to take his identical twin granddaughters and some of their friends from the all girl college they attended out on his boat as they wanted to shoot some sort of video .  As it turned out once we got well past the bay the video they wanted to shoot was some sort of lesbian sex tape. I thought, gosh  why not so they all got naked and handed me the camera.  Then they started to....... oh wait it was an Olson 30 not a Hobie 33,  never mind  

pics or...

On 10/6/2018 at 8:33 PM, -Dino said:

There's a real nice one in Sarasota Florida - lifting keel version

well thank you. 

USA 24, Hot Stuff, located in Sarasota at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. My dad and I are the owners. As Dino said, lifting keel. Not doing too much racing beyond beercans at this point. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, Hobie 008 said:

Hi I picked up 1982 Hobie 33 Hull #008 "Stretch" in 2017. She is located in Point Roberts, WA. and sails out of PRYC. One thing different about her is the modified keel. 10" longer and 800 # heavier. She came in at 4830# to get her ORR certificate. has modified rudder as well.  Double spreader Ballenger mast in 2013. Also the o/b has been moved to the transom, and hull faired. She spent her life in Santa Cruz, CA until I picked her up.

20170325_121618.jpg

image002.jpg

of all the things a Hobie 33 needs.... a deeper keel is in the top 1. I'd have personally opted for a bulb, though.... as if it matters what i think. Even for a modified rudder yours still looks stubby!

• Like 1

We have hull #0. Hobies personal boat. Raced it to enesnada Friday. Torbod up to the max.

Bookend

I have hull #185 which was the 3rd to last.  (believe hull #187 was last)

She was in Ohio when I owned her.  Bought her from Louisville KY. That owner said she came from the Seattle area.  When I was polishing the hull I found where the gelcoat on the transom had been protected by a decal that IIRC said Campers World _____ New Mexico.

I renamed the boat Cynical Girl.  Prior name was Athena.  Don't know before that.  The guy who bought her took her to FL and renamed her.  Don't recall the name but I believe he said it was his 3rd Hobie 33 and they all had the same name.  (track that!)  Got a message from the next owner when he was looking to buy.  They said they were taking her from FL to CA.  

The sure do get around.  Its the wheels, man.

The best Hobie on the West Coast in my opinion is in Santa Barbara. Labor of love!  She sails like a dream assuming its not windy and upwind.. 

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainSluggo/    Shown below from the rail of a Farr 40

That boat is so bad ass... probably has over $100k into it but but it's extremely cool and very well done. Love that boat.

What kind of speeds are these boats capable of upwind and downwind ??

I’ve personally seen/done 16.5 downwind, with the full knowledge that the boat could have gone faster. 

Upwind....well... then you’re just another tender 33 footer.

• Like 1

Hobie 33 #137 "So Fine" is at Lake Canyon Yacht Club, in Canyon Lake, TX.

sail number boat name owner club home town

60048               Bandit              Bruce Huddleston                                 NCYC                                 Sylvania, Ohio, USA    
  46 Barbarella Jim Blakewell Oklahoma City Boat Club Okc, Ok, USA    

USA 32571 Best Boat EVER Than Dykstra Grand Traverse Yacht Club Traverse City, MI, USA    
  USA 33 Hobie1 Kenobi Adam Prettyman Grand Traverse YAcht Club Williamsburg, MI, USA    
  77520 Holy Toledo Timothy Andrews North Cape Sylvania, OH, USA    
  188 Hot Knots Chuck Watson Frenchman's Bay YC Uxbridge, Ont, CAN    
  32304 Jonathan Swift Ron Nolan Perry Yacht Club Louisburg, Kansas, USA    
  41 KAOS Rich Brew Rudder Club Jacksonville, Florida, USA    
  31945 Myasasaur Craig & Deborah Wilusz FWYC, BBSC, SSS Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA    
  USA 3113 MYRAGE Christian Schaumloffel StormTC HamptonYC Virginia Beach, VA, USA    
  31694 Pink Panther Al Michaud Monroe Boat Club Monroe, MI, USA    

Scott Maust in Pigeon, MI used to have one but I don't think he does any longer.

Peter Hopkins has "no brakes" sail number 102 is in New Orleans LA;  and there's a no longer used Hobie 33 Pineapple Express lying in New Orleans too.

Steve Attard is on his third hull and sails out of North Cape Yacht Club, La Salle MI. started with "leaving las vegas" then "viva las vegas" now "rhumbline"

31945 is now owned by "Pink Spinnaker"  and missed by Craig and Deborah. 

There is one for sale at Fairhope YC, Fairhope , Alabama.  The   Olympic Sailing Association at New Orleans has had one donated and is for sale or something.

As for speeds: Upwind 6.4-6.8 was good targets for us on "Myasasaur"  Downwind was best to gybe at angles, and at the 2013 NACs we hit 19.8 on one of the downwind runs with the chute, blade, and full main up (lots of fun) but regular sailing at 7.5 -11 knots downwind was not unusuall at all.

good times.jpg

• Like 1

There used to be one called Zap in Washington.  Not sure if it's still in the PNW.

Personal favorite is Still Crazy. 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:48 PM, LakeBoy said:

I have hull #185 which was the 3rd to last.  (believe hull #187 was last)

I sailed a few times on Hot Knots when it was out of Muskegon and the owner thought it was the last built (Sail No 188)

There are 3 to 5 of them in the Alameda Marina (S.F. Bay) dry storage lot.

A friend used to own one of the A.M. boats named "Espresso" (don't know hull number).  He bought it from a guy in Fresno many years ago.  Also, there is another one (not counted in the above) that regularly races on the Bay named "Vitesse Too", that is owned by Grant Hayes.

-MH

On 10/10/2018 at 4:59 PM, -Dino said:

What kind of speeds are these boats capable of upwind and downwind ??

Got our boat to 19KTS boat speed then the instruments crapped out. Holy Toledo achieved some insane number in the miami to havana race, 26KTS i believe.

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time on Mirage (R.I.P) in Hampton.  It was replaced with Myrage.  Christian is racing her in every race possible to get her as fast as the old one.

I think ex Smoke now Gail Force is/was owned by Chuck Eldred and is still on the hard up in Yorktown, VA somewhere 

2 hours ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

Got our boat to 19KTS boat speed then the instruments crapped out. Holy Toledo achieved some insane number in the miami to havana race, 26KTS i believe.

26 KTS is screaming - must of been a fun run

Sol raced on one for the KWRW feeder race with some olympians. He brought the boat to a regatta I was racing in and it was like bringing a gun to a knife fight. They won overall against boats like my J24 and an SR 21 Turbo.

20 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Particularly fun when their tiller was broken and they repaired it with winch handles and sail ties. 

that was us on Viva Las Vegas not Holy Toledo.  cracked it when someone fell on it the first night and needed to keep it from flexing and actually breaking.

Ripping through the gulfstream at around 15 knots sure was a good time.

Would really like to do another hobie sled ride to havana.

That boat was no longer a Hobie, it was the test bed for CBTF (?) or whatever they were called.

Talked to a sailmaker last weekend who used to make the green sails for Soap Opera, was out of the Dallas area then he thought it was taken to the west coast. I think they won a double handed Transpac in it.  Was a while back.  Was fast and easy to spot. 

I built a bunch of chainplates for these boats a few years back.  The aluminum ones crap out and the rig falls down and peels the boat apart.  there's a google group of Hobie owners that is pretty busy.  They discuss a lot daily.  Surely they know where more of these things are.

Just noticed it's entered in the Harvest Moon which starts this Thursday.  If the forecast holds should be a fun ride, there is a Hendo 30 to pace with.  I, having gotten older and a bit smarter am on a much bigger boat. 

19 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Just noticed it's entered in the Harvest Moon which starts this Thursday.  If the forecast holds should be a fun ride, there is a Hendo 30 to pace with.  I, having gotten older and a bit smarter am on a much bigger boat. 

yeah, i see it's done well in a bunch of the harvest moons..    Ray Hubbard  was way to small and an insult to that boat..  probably down in clearwater now..