Lpfroeb

29er spinaker Halyard

Hello to all who is reading this,

So my skipper just bought a 29er which we have sailed in a different boat for the past few months, but now since we have our own boat we have decided to upgrade the spinnaker halyard, does anybody know of a brand and name of a rope that would be suitable for a spinnaker. Thank you so much,

-Luke

I have been looking at ropes for the 29er and have concluded to the Marlow excel elite 5mm do you think that this would work, considering that I am planning on tapering it. I am also running it on the outside of the mast. 

Just now, Lpfroeb said:

I have been looking at ropes for the 29er and have concluded to the Marlow excel elite 5mm do you think that this would work, considering that I am planning on tapering it. I am also running it on the outside of the mast. 

yeah, don't taper if it's external though, the UV gets to it

just make sure the block is a decent size

4mm and dyneema core. Taper it from where it's cleated to the top of the sail. 

but the strength of the rope is protected by the cover, same with friction

if you taper it, don't expect it to last for longer than one or two seasons unless you put your mast in a cover every time and thoroughly wash the rope

50 minutes ago, inebriated said:

but the strength of the rope is protected by the cover, same with friction

if you taper it, don't expect it to last for longer than one or two seasons unless you put your mast in a cover every time and thoroughly wash the rope

Let me know how washing your halyard helps out with UV!

Just now, ASP said:

Let me know how washing your halyard helps out with UV!

washing it out helps in other ways

the UV kills it but if you want to take really good care of the rope, washing it out helps

if you want really high performance, sure, taper it and you may be able to get your kite up in .1 of a second faster, but the cover is on it for a reason, so nothing wears through the dyneema, grip and UV.

enjoy replacing the rope though, you'll find it fun when it snaps straight off on a big downwind

4mm to 5mm dyneema with a cover like Alpha SSR, Marlow Excel, or the equivalent you find at West Marine will be fine.

Tapering just makes it run way smoother through the whole system and I feel it makes it quite a lot easier on the hoists. I run our tapered halyard inside the mast and it still feels easier on the hoist than on other 29ers I've sailed on which have untapered halyards run outside the mast. I sky the halyard with a cheap polyester tagline from westmarine to protect it from UV in between sailing but that's because I don't get to sail it much these days. If you're going to run it outside the mast, it's just as easy to tilt the boat and run the halyard through the top block every time you rig up if you're really worried about the UV. I think that if you end up sailing the boat frequently, you'll end up replacing lines due to wear and tear before you have to replace them due to UV damage.

If you taper the halyard at the right spot the color change where the cover is buried can serve as another good indicator of when the halyard is made (at least for your skipper to look at instead of having to look up). The taper can be a few inches away from where the cleat is so the cleat still cleats the covered line. Crew will probably just end up counting the pulls and form a general idea of how many pulls it takes to get a full hoist (usually 7 for me, but then 9 when I get tired or lazy).

I find the jib sheet to be equally important to have tapered so it runs through the blocks (and the becket in the 4:1 setup) easier. Our mainsheet and spinnaker sheets are tapered too though I think those make less of a difference.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, inebriated said:

yeah, don't taper if it's external though, the UV gets to it

just make sure the block is a decent size

I never ever didn't tapery halyards. 

I always liked 4 or 5mm fse dinghy control line. 

I didn't know 29er halyards could be external? What stops them from bending the mast under tension? Do you have a eye at the shrouds? 

On my RS200 I pull the halyards back in to the mast whilst ashore to protect them from UV. Just tie them to some old line so you can pull them back down prior to rigging next time you sail. 

On the RS800 they run external, so not much you can do about UV damage apart from replace more often. Wouldn't stop me from tapering though. 

I'd get Marlow D-Racer or  Rooster ALLSPEC (brand names for same thing made by English Braids)

On 02/04/2018 at 5:44 AM, inebriated said:

if you want really high performance, sure, taper it and you may be able to get your kite up in .1 of a second faster, but the cover is on it for a reason, so nothing wears through the dyneema, grip and UV.

enjoy replacing the rope though, you'll find it fun when it snaps straight off on a big downwind

Not true of the new line designed for tapering. The dynema core has a UV protection. The outer core is only there to give the sailor extra grip on the rope in their hands. 

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I didn't know 29er halyards could be external? What stops them from bending the mast under tension? Do you have a eye at the shrouds? 

On my RS200 I pull the halyards back in to the mast whilst ashore to protect them from UV. Just tie them to some old line so you can pull them back down prior to rigging next time you sail. 

On the RS800 they run external, so not much you can do about UV damage apart from replace more often. Wouldn't stop me from tapering though. 

I'd get Marlow D-Racer or  Rooster ALLSPEC (brand names for same thing made by English Braids)

Run it in front of the spreaders. Put a little keeper line from spreader to spreader to hold it. I ran external because there was less friction. The new masts with proper sheaves would obviously need to be internal. 

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

on big downwinds you get mast flex and forestay sag anyway