Sign in to follow this  
BillDBastard

Grilling 2018

April Fool's Day and the start of barbeque season. 

So I was gunna toss that Easter leg of lamb on the grill. Anybody got any suggestions, tips, favorites they wish to share?

59 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

lowe an slowe.......                          :)

Sangs, he asked about grilling lamb, not how his brain works.  :lol:

freakin half dago, half polack, logic not your strong point but full of spunk none the less.

Got any input on grilling lamb sir? Perhaps a wine suggestion?

49 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

freakin half dago, half polack, logic not your strong point but full of spunk none the less.

Petite Syrah was made for lamb.  Nothing else comes close, Malbec not withstanding.

Set that sucker on the counter for an hour to bring it to room temp first. I'd go lower than 135 (125) and tent/rest for 15-20 minutes.

On a related subject, I need a new grill. My Weber charcoal kettle is busted (controls on the bottom broke) and I'm going to the dark side. So, a good gas grill? I'd like rotisserie, maybe infrared. Enameled, not plain stainless. I'll put a budget top of $800 on it.

2 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Direct or indirect?

Cooking temp?

Yes garlic cloves and some sprigs of Rosemary

54 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

As long as you grill it with the Dead playing on the stereo in the background B)

4 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Petite Syrah was made for lamb.  Nothing else comes close, Malbec not withstanding.

I’ll make a note of the wine match for lamb. 

3 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Set that sucker on the counter for an hour to bring it to room temp first. I'd go lower than 135 (125) and tent/rest for 15-20 minutes.

On a related subject, I need a new grill. My Weber charcoal kettle is busted (controls on the bottom broke) and I'm going to the dark side. So, a good gas grill? I'd like rotisserie, maybe infrared. Enameled, not plain stainless. I'll put a budget top of $800 on it.

That’s not grilling/bbq, just cooking outside. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mad said:

You can't put wood in your oven. You can in a gasser. Plus, I still have my WSM but that's a smoker.

22 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Thanks, I knew I could count on you..... all kidding aside.

16 minutes ago, mad said:

I actually use a gasser. However I have an old broiler pan with grate that sits atop the burners, I load that with wood and charcoal , cover with it's original grate, then the grills grates about 2 " above that. Best of both worlds, cooking with charcoal but evenness and controllability of gas. It is the tits really.

I put a 3 1/2 lb piece on the Big Green Egg about noon, just enough for the 2 of us.  Seasoned with S&P, Everglades, Cumin and Turmeric.  Three hours or so uncovered then 3 more wrapped in foil at 275 over lump charcoal and peach chips.  I'm out of my favorite Sea Grape.  Scalloped taters and mustard greens from the garden.

Slaving away cooking with a Joni Mitchell DVD as a diversion.

Curiously enough, I have a butterflied leg o' lamb about to go on the grill as we speak (type). Marinated for a day and a half in (In the fridge) v. good pinot noir, with rosemary, and olive oil. I'll add chopped garlic and rub it in just a half hour before the lamb goes on the grill.

A little thyme and black pepper will go on at the same time.

I'll sear it quickly on both sides, then place it fat side up with the lid closed, over indirect heat for about 10 minutes, then flip it and do the same.

Served with rice and asparagus fresh from the garden, with a little unsalted butter, and a chocolate mousse for desert...... Who could ask for a better birthday dinner? (OK I'd take artichokes over asparagus, but SWIMBO doesn't like artichokes, so I suffer)

BTW I use only charcoal, not gas grill, and it does make a difference.

My pleasure.

2 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Thanks, I knew I could count on you..... all kidding aside.

Yer welcome.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Curiously enough, I have a butterflied leg o' lamb about to go on the grill as we speak (type). Marinated for a day and a half in (In the fridge) v. good pinot noir, with rosemary, and olive oil. I'll add chopped garlic and rub it in just a half hour before the lamb goes on the grill.

A little thyme and black pepper will go on at the same time.

I'll sear it quickly on both sides, then place it fat side up with the lid closed, over indirect heat for about 10 minutes, then flip it and do the same.

Served with rice and asparagus fresh from the garden, with a little unsalted butter, and a chocolate mousse for desert...... Who could ask for a better birthday dinner? (OK I'd take artichokes over asparagus, but SWIMBO doesn't like artichokes, so I suffer)

BTW I use only charcoal, not gas grill, and it does make a difference.

That sounds pretty good, but in my opinion that's a waste of a good Pinot Noir.  Pinot Noir is quite delicate and between the lamb, the garlic, and the rosemary, I doubt the wine had a lot of impact.  Maybe next time try it with some PS or maybe a rustic Zinfandel.  I never use a good wine for a marinade, maybe not 2 buck chuck, but anything better than that is OK.  My German friend has a lot of very old wine (30-60 years old) and when we open a bad bottle, we just save it for cooking.  Unless it is severely corked (TCA), you really can't tell the wine was bad once it is cooked into a sauce.

I usually drink a good Burgundy or Pinot Noir without food, just so nothing interferes with the delicate, ephemeral quality of the wine.

Jacques Pepin once told me that one should never cook, or marinade anything in wine that one would not drink at the table..... I do not always follow his advice, but with lamb, I do...... And the garlic is on for such a short time, it doesn't pollute the meat. It's more of an aroma that sits on the cooked surface.

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

Jacques Pepin once told me that one should never cook, or marinade anything in wine that one would not drink at the table..... I do not always follow his advice, but with lamb, I do...... And the garlic is on for such a short time, it doesn't pollute the meat. It's more of an aroma that sits on the cooked surface.

I always thought that too, but my German friend has proven otherwise.

I have a pretty sensitive palate and sense of smell in spite of being a smoker.  Any strong taste, such as garlic, most herbs, such as rosemary and other things just overwhelm my taste buds sometimes, and especially react to wine in my mouth.  Raw parsley is too strong for me and I can't eat any kind of raw onion.  Don't get me wrong, I like well seasoned food and spicy food but not in excess.  I hate the taste of truffles, they are just overwhelming. If I am in a restaurant and they are on the menu, I can usually smell it as the waiter walks by with a dish with truffle in it.  Oooof!  To me the best food is when I might be able to identify some of the seasonings but not all of them, and they all work in harmony.

There are very few times I enjoy red wine with food, the exceptions being a good Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon with a nice steak or any red with cheeses, particularly aged cheese.  

Lamb is an interesting pairing. Depending on how you cook the lamb, anything from a beautiful Pinot noir to the suggestions of Malbec and petite sirah work great. I paired it with a dry barbara a few years ago and it went beautifully. You almost cannot get it wrong with any medium bodied red.

7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

April Fool's Day and the start of barbeque season. 

So I was gunna toss that Easter leg of lamb on the grill. Anybody got any suggestions, tips, favorites they wish to share?

I have been saving up All Year

Today the Smoker is Stuffed with smoldering Tāne Mahuta wood

As I slowly make some  (50 lbs) of SoCal's BEST "Ghost Pepper Raccoon Jerky" ;)

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I have a pretty sensitive palate and sense of smell in spite of being a smoker. 

Asceticism

I am more of an aesthete with a touch of careful, considerate, hedonism, Woody.  I call it hedonism light.

The lamb turned out beautifully. No gamey taste (Which happens often here in cow country), sliced and bit like cold butter.

The asparagus sucked. Too thin, and reedy. The rice was fine..... I won't complain.

7 hours ago, austin1972 said:

for what you want ,  weber genesis.. ,   I got one of barbeque galore's lower lines, in stainless, still going 10 years now,  find something that has stainless burners and not the cheap tube types, mine are a chunk of metal,  solid cast iron grates, none of that cheap chrome tubing shit..  ( learn to season them)   ,   i got basic , no side burners, no rottissiere setup,  usually you get can roto setup separate . figure out how many people you're going to cook for on a regular basis,  if it's just you and the missues you don't need 1900 sq in of cooking space..       other than than pick what you like,  take a magnet, you'll know if they're using cheap steel, which to me is a red flag.. 

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That sounds pretty good, but in my opinion that's a waste of a good Pinot Noir.  Pinot Noir is quite delicate and between the lamb, the garlic, and the rosemary, I doubt the wine had a lot of impact.  Maybe next time try it with some PS or maybe a rustic Zinfandel.  I never use a good wine for a marinade, maybe not 2 buck chuck, but anything better than that is OK.  My German friend has a lot of very old wine (30-60 years old) and when we open a bad bottle, we just save it for cooking.  Unless it is severely corked (TCA), you really can't tell the wine was bad once it is cooked into a sauce.

I usually drink a good Burgundy or Pinot Noir without food, just so nothing interferes with the delicate, ephemeral quality of the wine.

actually find a spanish rioja  , nice and spicy,   and you won't break the bank...   made for grilled lamb.. 

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The lamb turned out beautifully. No gamey taste (Which happens often here in cow country), sliced and bit like cold butter.

The asparagus sucked. Too thin, and reedy. The rice was fine..... I won't complain.

I thank you all for your input.

Put the shank in a shallow pan on a rack, loaded it up with garlic and rosemary. Cooked it at like 300-350 f for an hour (4.48 lbs), then placed it over direct heat for 15 minutes per side. Brought it to 145F internal, let is rest for 10 minutes. Carved and served. Not to dry, not bloody, not greasy as lamb can sometimes be. An Aussie cut, not gamey in the least.

Now the bride doesn't like rare, I do but she wins (you all know what I am sayin'). I should have shot for 135F and it would have been a bit more to my liking.

Wife had a nice medium bodied red that worked well, but greatly appreciate this new wrinkle in our grilling threads regarding wine suggestions.

All in all, great first grilling adventure.  

TTFN

Bone in, and butterflied are entirely different when cooking.... Especially on the grill. I never use a thermometer, just intuition, and a gentle finger poke every so often.

I'm glad it turned out well for you. Good lamb is one of the best meals ever.

Now I need a proper lobster.... One with claws, and a tail.... I may have to climb onto a silver bird to get that though....

Pulled some wild pig ribs from the freezer...they cook much quicker than commercial pork, so only 2-1/2 hrs on the Egg...look close enough you can see where the arrow exited on one rack...

20180121_185413.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

usually you get can roto setup separate . figure out how many people you're going to cook for on a regular basis,  if it's just you and the missues you don't need 1900 sq in of cooking space..       other than than pick what you like,  take a magnet, you'll know if they're using cheap steel, which to me is a red flag.. 

Yeah, I just need 2 zones and an infrared. The rotisserie doesn't have to come with the grill, I just want one so it factors into the budget.

My asparagus sucked too. Super stringy. I guess I'll wait until the local stuff comes in where you scare it with heat to warm it up and just use a fork to cut it. The stuff I had looked good. Was from the Imperial Valley. Sucked balls.

Tip for perfect asparagus- shave the stalk with a carrot/potatoe peeler.  Eliminates  the strings and allows the olive oil, sea salt, etc. to infuse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamorak said:

Tip for perfect asparagus- shave the stalk with a carrot/potatoe peeler.  Eliminates  the strings and allows the olive oil, sea salt, etc. to infuse.

Ille try that to, thackes.                    :)

I like to take fresh asparagus and take 3 stalks, rub a some olive oil on them, put a slice of feta cheese on them and wrap the cheese and asparagus with prosciutto.  Throw them under the broiler for a few minutes.  Quick, easy and tasty.

Something like this.  Don''t be afraid to experiment.

Image result for asparagus and feta wrapped in prosciutto

14 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Yeah, I just need 2 zones and an infrared. The rotisserie doesn't have to come with the grill, I just want one so it factors into the budget.

My asparagus sucked too. Super stringy. I guess I'll wait until the local stuff comes in where you scare it with heat to warm it up and just use a fork to cut it. The stuff I had looked good. Was from the Imperial Valley. Sucked balls.

do those in a frypan, get some butter real hot, toss in , couple of turns and pull out..  add seasoning of choice, usally a little salt and pepper.

19 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

for what you want ,  weber genesis.. ,   I got one of barbeque galore's lower lines, in stainless, still going 10 years now,  find something that has stainless burners and not the cheap tube types, mine are a chunk of metal,  solid cast iron grates, none of that cheap chrome tubing shit..  ( learn to season them)   ,   i got basic , no side burners, no rottissiere setup,  usually you get can roto setup separate . figure out how many people you're going to cook for on a regular basis,  if it's just you and the missues you don't need 1900 sq in of cooking space..       other than than pick what you like,  take a magnet, you'll know if they're using cheap steel, which to me is a red flag.. 

+1. If by enamel you mean enamel housing, ok. But for durability you want stainless grates.  Over time enameled cast iron cracks and straight cast iron gets flaky. Wire shell on a drill or a bead blaster Jeep’s them factory fresh.

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

do those in a frypan, get some butter real hot, toss in , couple of turns and pull out..  add seasoning of choice, usally a little salt and pepper.

Oh, I'm usually good at asparagus. It wasn't my fault. It was shitty asparagus...So, I guess it was in fact my fault for buying shitty asparagus. The local stuff I get from around here and up in MI just has to be warmed up.

For grilling, I like my Weber Summit 470. 304 stainless. 6 burners plus sear burner and IR back burner that’s just the thing for the included rotisserie. Side burner for when you want it. Fired box for wood chipsfor flavor that is “OK”. Use it multiple times per week year round. After 7 years of brackish waterfront use, it’s time for refresh of the regulators, burners and “flavorizers”. 

With 6 burners side by side, you can go direct or indirect and use as few or as many burners as you need. I have found it doesn’t hold a temp for “low and slow” if there is any appreciable wind. My pellet smoker does fine for that. 

About $1,900 delivered from discounters.  Mine is plumbed to an underground propane tank so don’t know how long a 20# bottle would last. 

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Oh, I'm usually good at asparagus. It wasn't my fault. It was shitty asparagus...So, I guess it was in fact my fault for buying shitty asparagus. The local stuff I get from around here and up in MI just has to be warmed up.

Indeed. Same here. I don't usually buy "shoestring" asparagus, but that's what the store had, and my asparagus patch has been spotty so far this year.

I like asparagus to be between the thickness of a sharpie, and an El Marko. Any thinner it tends to be reedy. Any fatter, it gets pithy.

I have a friend in Versmold, Germany who's family has a 6 generation old asparagus farm..... They only harvest white asparagus. The green ones go to the hog farmer. I got an asparagus as big as my arm, and asked what on earth they do with this?..... "Cream of Asparagus soup in a can..... From Campbell's"....

This is my little slice of BBQ heaven. Its all Viking stuff, which was expensive but its 10 years later and even living at the beach the stuff is still in great shape. 

IMG_0251 (1).jpg

IMG_0179 (1).jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

@Point Break, that's dreamy but way outside of my budget. I'm more of a lower middle class guy.

I know, but how many BBQ will you go through in the next 15 - 20 years. The granite island and stuff aside (this was my retirement gift to me....never had a setup like this before) there are some really good but more expensive standalone grills (Viking makes some) that will go forever............... This stuff is10 years old, used very frequently and hardly shows much wear at all. Still works great. 

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

it’s time for refresh of the regulators, burners and “flavorizers”. 

We call them “flavor crystals “ embeds into the grill :P

9 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I know, but how many BBQ will you go through in the next 15 - 20 years.

I've ripped through 2 Weber kettles since 1994.

30 minutes ago, Point Break said:

This is my little slice of BBQ heaven. Its all Viking stuff, which was expensive but its 10 years later and even living at the beach the stuff is still in great shape. 

IMG_0251 (1).jpg

IMG_0179 (1).jpg

PB. I just want to fly out thereand grill up a storm every time I see your pics 

14 minutes ago, dacapo said:

PB. I just want to fly out thereand grill up a storm every time I see your pics 

It is a nice place to explore my "grillmaster" fantasies!!! Especially for a guy who up until this effort always grilled on various portable grills. I wanted a setup like this for many many years.

25 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I know, but how many BBQ will you go through in the next 15 - 20 years. The granite island and stuff aside (this was my retirement gift to me....never had a setup like this before) there are some really good but more expensive standalone grills (Viking makes some) that will go forever............... This stuff is10 years old, used very frequently and hardly shows much wear at all. Still works great. 

I imagine when you have a nice setup like that you are more willing to grill your dinner more often.  Eating outside is one of life's greatest pleasures to me.  Whether it is at a back yard grill, or a restaurant somewhere.  Luckily for me people in Europe love to eat outside so most restaurants have outdoor tables, weather permitting.

On the asparagus front, the white asparagus season will start soon and they will be for sale everywhere.  They are extremely popular in Germany where they call them spargel.  Most restaurants have a special spargel karte that features many choices. The most traditional is with boiled parsley potatoes and Hollandaise sauce.  Also popular is serving them with cooked ham or pork schnitzel, and spargel cream soup of course.  You know, Germans are not known for their culinary sense of adventure.  There are spargel fests in many cities.  To me they are OK, but I on't get to excited about them.  They have much more delicate flavor than the green ones that I prefer.  The white ones still make your pee smell funny.  Not to mention that they often bear a rather startling resemblance to a penis.  

Ammiright?

Image result for spargel

This is about as traditional as it gets, spargel, ham, and potatoes.  The German version of the Irish boiled dinner.

4 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I imagine when you have a nice setup like that you are more willing to grill your dinner more often.  Eating outside is one of life's greatest pleasures to me.  Whether it is at a back yard grill, or a restaurant somewhere.  Luckily for me people in Europe love to eat outside so most restaurants have outdoor tables, weather permitting.

We grill and eat outside at least 1/2 of the time...really almost year round. Its a bit less enjoyable when the stupid time change happens and it gets dark around 4:30 PM...........but from March to October at the least we're out there 3-4 days per week.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, austin1972 said:

Don’t poo poo good stainless.  The enameled crap isn’t any better than cheap Chinese stainless.  Rotisserie’s can be had as a generic option at hd or slowes.   It if you do want a rotisserie get a grill that has a rotisserie burner.  Also the nice thing about an infrared side station for searing can also double as a side burner for s skillet.   Ie frying fish outside so noOt to stink up the house. Or something to keep a pot of water boiling for steaming crabs, ect...

make sure burners and grates are easily sourced for repair parts.  They will rust and you want a good brand that will be around.

although at 800 bucks I’d consider it a disposable appliance after 4 to 5 years...

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I know, but how many BBQ will you go through in the next 15 - 20 years.

Weber Gennis 300 with stainless steel inner's (burner, gill, flavor bars)... have had it since 2000...  just now starting to show some fatigue in the way of corrosion... gets used at least twice a week up here...  salt air hasn't killed it yet.

That said... PB you got the hot set up...  

You're just cooking outside with those gas thingys...this is grilling...habanero/pineapple venison sausage and wild pig/ shrimp boudin...

20180216_175711(1).jpg

I have been hearing more and more about the STOK grills and a couple months ago a neighbor up the bayou put the flagship of the STOK line, the QUADRO out on the street for the trash pickup. I went and had a look at it and the burners and the porceline grates were shot but I dragged it into the bushes and went home and looked at what it would cost to buy the replacement parts needed. By the time I added it up I decided to pass on it especially when I saw a whole new QUAD could be had for not much more that the replacement parts at Home Depot on their spring sales.  I may get one of their Drum grills when the Memorial Day sales at Lowes and Home depot start.

https://www.stokgrills.com/products/details/quattro

may 

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

IMG_0251 (1).jpg

IMG_0179 (1).jpg

This is like............... Houston control..... Come in Apollo 7, do you read?.....

10-4 Houston, the eagle has landed! Repeat, The Eagle has landed....

10-4 Apollo 7 God speed, and good luck!

Um.... Apollo 7, this is Houston control.... Why did you slice your steaks so thin? Over......

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

This is like............... Houston control..... Come in Apollo 7, do you read?.....

!0-4 Houston, the eagle has landed! Repeat, The Eagle has landed....

10-4 Apollo 7 God speed, and good luck!

wassente thet Apollo 11?

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

We grill and eat outside at least 1/2 of the time...really almost year round. Its a bit less enjoyable when the stupid time change happens and it gets dark around 4:30 PM...........but from March to October at the least we're out there 3-4 days per week.

Oh, boo hoo. It got dark and I don't wanna cook on my Viking. Damn squirrels are eating my avocados off my tree. The kitchen back splash tile I did...One of them isn't quite perfect. Waaaa!!!!!

It's going to snow here tonight and my Weber charcoal kettle is trashed. My 3 year old water heater shat the bed the other day.

I think I'm just going to live vicariously through you. :)

I am going on a free trip to Nice/San Tropez/Monaco/Paris gratis of work in 10 days (vacation, not work) all paid but after that, I'll just pretend I'm you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Oh, boo hoo. It got dark and I don't wanna cook on my Viking. Damn squirrels are eating my avocados off my tree. The kitchen back splash tile I did...One of them isn't quite perfect. Waaaa!!!!!

It's going to snow here tonight and my Weber charcoal kettle is trashed. My 3 year old water heater shat the bed the other day.

I think I'm just going to live vicariously through you. :)

I am going on a free trip to Nice/San Tropez/Monaco/Paris gratis of work in 10 days (vacation, not work) all paid but after that, I'll just pretend I'm you.

I was feeling your pain until you got to the trip to Europe.  Now my empathy has gone down just a bit.  St Tropez has to be one of the coolest, most beautiful seaside towns in the world.  You can see some eye popping yachts in the harbor there.  It is much more real and low key than its neighbors Monaco and Nice.  And best of all, Brigitte Bardot has a house there.

What did you do to get a 10 day free vacation in the French Riviera????

16 hours ago, austin1972 said:

@Point Break, that's dreamy but way outside of my budget. I'm more of a lower middle class guy.

you can't go wrong, weber  you'll be happy for years..    I just happen to catch a sale on mine at bbq galore

now if you want to do something with those cows

offset

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

What did you do to get a 10 day free vacation in the French Riviera????

I'll take bad pics and share if I get lucky and snap a good one or two.

Here's the email:

"A few years back we held our first retreat in Michigan. I challenged us to hit our yearly goal and stated if we did we could all go to Nice.

Well that was silly. Nice is far, and expensive, and at the time I could have said Wisconsin Dells and you would have been happy. That being said I DID say that. I’m not sure we technically hit our goal that year BUT we definitely just crushed a company milestone. 

Therefore, I want to take you and your spouse/significant other to Nice, FR. One of the things I value most in life are shared experiences and I’d like to keep my legacy as someone who follows through on promises. 

Anyway, it would be my honor for you to join me. You would fly to Nice Thursday or Friday,  April 12 or 13th and fly back on that Monday. I will cover flights for you and your spouse, hotels and meals. We will have a group dinner 1-2 times and can plan activities/trips to Monte Carlo, Cannes and San Tropez which are amazing. The French Riviera is among the most beautiful places I have ever seen and I’m excited to see it again with you."

A little over 6 years in, a credit card, libraries, bars and basements, our company was bought for $165 million. I've lost a lot of hair and a wife over it in that time. Winning at a business is  pretty much just a good idea and unrelenting work towards it. But, I've learned anyone can do it if you have the balls to try.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's where you're grilling more than what you're grilling. 

Somewhere in Utah.

And yes PBR pairs well with cheeseburgers.

20180403_190649-600x450.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Sometimes it's where you're grilling more than what you're grilling. 

Somewhere in Utah.

And yes PBR pairs well with cheeseburgers.

20180403_190649-600x450.jpg

What?.... No circle of rocks with an old refrigerator shelf for a grill?

I've burned the baby blue plastic off off refrigerator shelves just to use them for grilling in certain locations....

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned wood pellet grills.  Great for all kinds of grilling/smoking/baking.  I got a Rec Tec last year and my trusty gas Weber hasn't seen a lot of action since then.  Wood fire flavoring without any hassle.  And there are different kinds of pellets for differing levels of flavor. 

Does anybody have any experience with the 'Pit Barrel Jr.'?  I have heard good things about them but before I spend $250.00 I want to hear more.  It looks almost idiot proof, which is what I need.  Us Yankees don't know shit about how to BBQ, and I want to do some BBQ when I go to the US next month.

PBJ_Shop.jpg

2 hours ago, dave-j said:

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned wood pellet grills.  Great for all kinds of grilling/smoking/baking.  I got a Rec Tec last year and my trusty gas Weber hasn't seen a lot of action since then.  Wood fire flavoring without any hassle.  And there are different kinds of pellets for differing levels of flavor. 

I read too many horror stories about the augers breaking. But I've never red anything about Rec Tec. Hmmm.

I've been in Argentina for the last couple of weeks. I'll just leave this here:

asadoSmall.png

38 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I read too many horror stories about the augers breaking. But I've never red anything about Rec Tec. Hmmm.

I’ve cooked on a Traeger and have a Firecraft pellet smoker. Does a good job except in cold (below 35 F) and windy conditions. Traeger offers a heat blanket that reportedly keeps things toasty in winter conditions. Not perfect but does a pretty good job without worrying about managing temps, etc. Ability to dial the heat up and down allows for searing and then finishing low and slow a slow cook and hot finish. Allows me to do a quick smoke on demand or “set it and forget it” for low and slow  

Another arrow in the quiver. Have not seen auger problems. 

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Ed,

I would recommend this Orion Cooker over the Pit Barrel.

I bought one a couple of years ago and swear by it! On sale now for $180 and its SS will far outlast the rig you show.

https://www.theorioncooker.com/

That looks interesting.  The one thing I really like about the Pit Barrel is the utter simplicity.  Throw some charcoal in the bottom, hang some ribs, put the top on and wait for delicious food.  No grill, no drip pan, no hassles.  I am thinking the finish on the Pit Barrel must be pretty good  because all you get for the price is basically a barrel, a lid, 2 pieces of rebar and 6 hooks.  I will have to go to the store and see these things in person.  I'm a touchy feely kind of guy.

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I’ve cooked on a Traeger and have a Firecraft pellet smoker.

Traeger is the one that consistently comes up with auger and controller issues. They apparently do a good job until they don't.

I did some research and that Rec Tec gets good reviews. I might be taking a hard right on my thinking. Thanks for blowing the budget.

1 minute ago, austin1972 said:

Traeger is the one that consistently comes up with auger issues. They apparently do a good job until they don't.

I did some research and that Rec Tec gets good reviews. I might be taking a hard right on my thinking.

I considered the RecTec.  Not sure now why I chose the Firecraft over it. Two years ago, Traeger had the reputation of being good but lacking the electronic controller, etc. that the later designs have. To me, the biggest advantage over an Egg or other wood/charcoal smoker is prep time. Turn it on and set the temp. 15-20 minutes later, it’s ready to go. My life is fairly busy so the convenience is pretty sweet.   Right now, I have a vacuum sealed, seasoned tri tip in the freezer. Sometime soon, I’ll pull it from the freezer before heading to work and smoke it when I get home with no hassle. 

Yep. My life goes in 3+ directions at any given time. I don't know why I did what I did, but here I am. Shiny things, I guess. Time is very limited.

I totally did life wrong. A grill will fix it though, right?

Tri tip rocks. Probably one of the tastiest pieces of beef behind a standing rib and a fraction of the price.

15 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Yep. My life goes in 3+ directions at any given time. I don't know why I did what I did, but here I am. Shiny things, I guess. Time is very limited.

I totally did life wrong. A grill will fix it though, right?

Tri tip rocks. Probably one of the tastiest pieces of beef behind a standing rib and a fraction of the price.

welcome to another sickness  https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Image result for pigs fighting animated .gif

Woody, stop with your pig on penis fantasies pleaze.

Point Break..... that almost isn't grilling, but envious none the less.

Some real good stuff. Keep it coming guys.

So I got a question. What wood for what meat? What really makes it a home run? Any personal favs or suggestions?