Sign in to follow this  
BillDBastard

Grilling 2018

11 hours ago, IStream said:

As mentioned above, the paper towel is key. If you can get a grip on it, it'll pull off beautifully. 

This.  I though I was the only one who knew the paper towel trick.  Just another place where I'm not unique.  

18 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Grilling some Memorial Day ribs on the BBQ. Struggled to get the silverback off. Aside from sneaking the tip of a sharp knife to get it started and tugging.... anyone have a secret to making this go a bit smoother?....for future reference.

Thnx

BdB

sharpen some more..

a good  non-serrated filet knife , very sharp...       

On 5/22/2018 at 5:42 PM, shaggy said:

Hey Rasp??  Does it go through a ton of charcoal??  Reviews say yes, but cooking time is low so I donno if it evens out.  Can it do turkeys like they say??  If so, the dual purpose sounds great...  Looking to pick one up for party this weekend, would mostly do ribs, and turkey.  might try some brisket if it does what it says.

I've done a turkey along with a couple racks of ribs at the same time. The turkey tends to just fall apart when the time is up but is smoky and moist. Ribs are just right. At first I tended to be stingy on charcoal but have learned that it has to reach a 'critical mass' to get the convective recirculation going in the cooking chamber. You could bake potatoes in the fire ring around the base while the cooking is going on. Pretty foolproof if you follow the directions and suggested cooking times. I thought I would get a chance to try it out for windproofness in our now famous 'SubTropical Storm Alberto' yesterday on the Alabama Gulf Coast but that was such a farce I never bothered going to the store! It was more like 'FauxBerto' for us...

We had a lawn chair blow over but will rebuild!

Image result for we will rebuild lawn chair

Image result for alberto 2018 meme

55 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

sharpen some more..

a good  non-serrated filet knife , very sharp...       

Paper towels for some reason are the only way I can get a grip on that tough white membrane. I have a wooden spoon that the handle is good for getting a corner lifter up without poking through.

atop me MAN-CAVE (3rd floor)

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

Image may contain: sky

Life is Good !! B)

Long weekend of cooking/smoking pieces of hog, so gave the grill a night off...fired up the fryer (well it does live next to the grill:P)...$3/lb(15-18 count) off the boat this arvo...

20180529_192116.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Grabbs - that looks like a perfect Sous Vide steak - nice and pink out to the edge of the sear! 

Stumbled across Sous Vide cooking a couple years ago. I use it quite a bit. Makes the timing foolproof and the results are awesome. Especially chicken..........you talk about moist! 

16 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

That’s a well behaved dog. If he really wanted that steak, it would be gone. 

I got her as a complete wild child 4 year old dog. I have no idea why someone gave up on her. She's the most trainable dog I've ever had. Except for cats. All cats must die in her world and I couldn't get that out of her.

16 hours ago, Point Break said:

Stumbled across Sous Vide cooking a couple years ago. I use it quite a bit. Makes the timing foolproof and the results are awesome. Especially chicken..........you talk about moist! 

I've got a feeling that my wife and I are gonna go shopping at Nibblin's this weekend. 

52 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I've got a feeling that my wife and I are gonna go shopping at Nibblin's this weekend. 

After some shopping I chose the Anova. I did not pay extra for the wifi and glad I didn't. You can spend a lot more for one. I have had this one for going on two years and it has worked flawlessly. I use ziplock bags so I don't need a fancy vacuum sealer. I did buy the ping pong balls to cover the water bath for overnight jobs to keep evaporation at bay.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

37 minutes ago, Point Break said:

After some shopping I chose the Anova. I did not pay extra for the wifi and glad I didn't. You can spend a lot more for one. I have had this one for going on two years and it has worked flawlessly. I use ziplock bags so I don't need a fancy vacuum sealer. I did buy the ping pong balls to cover the water bath for overnight jobs to keep evaporation at bay.

Thanks PB! 

22 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Grabbs - that looks like a perfect Sous Vide steak - nice and pink out to the edge of the sear! 

I don't have one of those fancy contraptions...steak goes on Egg indirect at 225° til internal temp around 100°...chuck it in freezer to stop cooking while I crank grill up to 500° then sear each side about a minute to minute and a half depending on size of steak...pretty foolproof...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Wow, you just answered my what to buy my wife for her birthday question. Something that involves cooking and a phone app. This is right in her wheelhouse. 

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

We bought an Anova in February. I've never made steaks this good before . . . not to mention the veal chops! It took a bit to get the temperature right before finishing on the grill for final sear.

24 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Do you have to be a Metro Sexual to use an Anova?

No...you just have to like perfectly cooked meat..........although being a metro might help...not sure......

You know, one of those things would be kickass for smoked lox style salmon. I could super cold smoke it on the smoker and finish it with one of those. Hmmm. It's  very hard to control my smoker at those low temps but I can control a super cold smoke with ice in the pan.

It is amazing how well it works. Once the allotted time has gone by and the meat has therefore reached the water temp, it can go no higher. So not only do you not have to watch it......if you're a little late getting the rest together the meat sits quite happily at the desired temp. You really cannot overcook it unless you leave it forever. So what I usually do is once the time is reached, I start the side dishes and when they're just about done, I pop the meat on the grill or in the pan to finish it up. 5 minutes or so and its done.

Flip the script!

I watched one of those grilling shoot out shows and was surprised to see a guy use the 'reverse sear' technique but it seemed to be viable despite the ridicule he got from the other competitors. This is a pretty good Cliffs Notes version and not a Metro in sight!

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Flip the script!

I watched one of those grilling shoot out shows and was surprised to see a guy use the 'reverse sear' technique but it seemed to be viable despite the ridicule he got from the other competitors. This is a pretty good Cliffs Notes version and not a Metro in sight!

Going to have to rethink some things. Mouth is watering. 

10 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Going to have to rethink some things. Mouth is watering. 

#me to                                     :)

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Flip the script!

You can get pretty much the same thing with room temperature meat cooked with 45 minutes of indirect heat on the grill, followed by a quick blast of direct heat to develop the crust at the end.

Huh! I've gotta try that on the grill. Makes sense. It's the way I do brats so the casing doesn't burst but never thought to do that with steak.

One thing they mentioned in the video that's key for the crust is to go heavy on the salt rub, maybe about twice what you'd think would taste good. I do it just before I put the meat on the grill so it won't have time to draw a lot of moisture out while on the counter. Once it's on the grill, the heat will evaporate the moisture as fast as it's drawn and that'll concentrate the flavor, color, and depth of the crust, often to the point you don't even need to finish with direct heat. I like to use kosher salt because its flaked texture seems to help the process.

If you like it on the rarer side it'll take a little practice to get the doneness exactly to your liking but it also keeps the meat juicy and flavorful at higher levels of doneness. I like medium rare in general but with long and low indirect heat even medium well (which is what I get when my Argentine father in law cooks) is damn good.  I find it's best to keep the grill around 300F and the total cooking time constant at around 45 minutes and modulate the doneness via the starting temp of the meat: room temp if I want to end up at medium+ for my wife and kids or right out of the fridge if I want it to end at medium rare. A tri-tip roast works great and will give you a nice variation in doneness from the corners to the middle.

My challenge with tri tip is a tendency to push it with somewhat higher temps (350 or so)and I end up with either a great smoke or rawhide tough and not a lot of control over the result  

Patience, grasshopper. 

IMG_0978.jpg

I spent a week in Denver putting my Mom through the respiratory evaluation testing at the excellent National Jewish Health facility and noticed this local eatery just a couple blocks down Colfax. 'Home of the Sugar Steak' is proudly displayed on the sign and it made me recall a Paula Deen episode from a couple weeks earlier on 'sugar steak'. I didn't get to have my birthday dinner with Mom at Bastien's due to their being closed over the Memorial Day holiday but I did have the best open faced Prime Rib sandwich downtown at the Brown Palace Ships Tavern.

Image result for ships tavern brown palace denver

I gave a half hearted attempt at the 'sugar steak' a couple of nights ago but was hesitant about using too much sugar. It did seem to help sear up to a nice caramel crust so may give the technique another chance, maybe turbinado sugar and some bourbon?

Sugar Steak

Ingredients

• 1 16-ounce New York strip steak
  • Steak rub, for coating

Directions

Preheat the grill to 900 degrees F.

Coat the steak with the rub. Grill the steak to caramelize the outside, then flip the steak and add more sugar rub. Flip the steak two more times, each time adding more rub (four times total). Cook the steak to desired doneness, 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare. Rest the steak for few minutes and serve hot.

Cook's Note

The idea behind this is to caramelize the outside while sealing all the juices inside. At Bastien's we will only prepare this steak rare to medium rare! Although the Bastien's steak rub is a secret, you can use a steak rub that includes several different varieties of sugar along with a blend of herbs and spices.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I spent a week in Denver putting my Mom through the respiratory evaluation testing at the excellent National Jewish Health facility and noticed this local eatery just a couple blocks down Colfax. '

#1 - Good luck with Mom. Yer a good son.

#2 - how was the hotel you rolled the dice on?

Thanks Point,

#1 It was hard to be a good son at times. My GF told me as I left on my mission 'You can be right, or you can be nice...' Had to remind myself of that more than once! 

#2 The Chalet was pretty nice but as Mike said the neighborhood was pretty intimidating. Room was clean and recently redone with nice linens and the nicest bath suite I've ever seen. Small kitchen let up eat in and not have to venture out into the zombie world that came out as dark approached. Best thing was that it was a 5 minute Uber or bus ride to and from hospital and I'm not sure the morning and evening trek from the big hotels downtown could have been done in less than an hour on account of traffic.

Can't say enough good stuff about National Jewish and the staff. 

Funny thing is that it was hotter and sunnier in Denver for the whole trip than it was here at home on the Gulf Coast! 

Good Luck with your mom.

When you were at National Jewish you probably walked by some of my brick work, from way back. One of the nicest walls I ever built is there.

9 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

#1 It was hard to be a good son at times. My GF told me as I left on my mission 'You can be right, or you can be nice...' Had to remind myself of that more than once! 

Wisdom, but it’s hard. 

Never been a big fan of sugar-based meat rubs but sugar will do the same thing as salt as far as pulling moisture out and generating a crust.

21 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

At Bastien's we will only prepare this steak rare to medium rare!

Thank you god. Anything over medium rare? Don't waste steak. They're nice animals so don't wreck them.

On 5/28/2018 at 2:20 PM, BillDBastard said:

Grilling some Memorial Day ribs on the BBQ. Struggled to get the silverback off. Aside from sneaking the tip of a sharp knife to get it started and tugging.... anyone have a secret to making this go a bit smoother?....for future reference.

Thnx

BdB

as Istream reported. Old skool, low tech solution Paper towel. Good grip. One and done.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

My challenge with tri tip is a tendency to push it with somewhat higher temps (350 or so)and I end up with either a great smoke or rawhide tough and not a lot of control over the result  

Patience, grasshopper. 

indirect heat and I like keeping things at around 200*  , low and slow,

Wow, been a bit busy of late and had a computer issue.... been offline for a week or more... and look you gents have been up to? Nice work,the lot of you. It is gonna take me a bit to catch up on some really interesting tips.

Keep on rollin' people.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, Point Break said:

Uh, PB, you are supposed to put the chicken in a plastic bag first...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Uh, PB, you are supposed to put the chicken in a plastic bag first...

Oh................that explains a lot.......

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

some of the best advice after you beat your meat....    goes for any grilled meat

But I'm hungry! And it smells good! And if I cut it soon, it pours out a bunch of juice that I can then drag my piece of toast through.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:53 PM, IStream said:

You can get pretty much the same thing with room temperature meat cooked with 45 minutes of indirect heat on the grill, followed by a quick blast of direct heat to develop the crust at the end.

it's what I do, except I have a couple of small frying pans over the heat filled with smoker pellets..    

26 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's what I do, except I have a couple of small frying pans over the heat filled with smoker pellets..    

Noice.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:22 AM, Point Break said:

and coincidently,   amazon has it at $50 off today

cooker

So... I have a "wood smoke" question.... note:  Not talking about smoking meats (low and slow), but rather "grilling with smoke".

Good ole Cowboy Kent has a vid showing him grilling with large pieces of hard wood.   He soaks the wood, gets them smoking over high heat, followed by grilling steak (or whatever) as normal.

Anyone else do this method and find it really imparts a "smoke" flavor ?    For medium-rare, I typically grill 4 mins on one side, followed by 3 on the other.   Just can't see a lot of smokiness being imparted in such a short time.

For reference, heres the vid:

I use empty (and cleaned cat food cans) and put some smoking wood (usually pecan or apple) into them for a soak. I put the can right on one of the burners under the grate and fire the gas grill up. By the time the grate is hot enough for a good sear, the smoking can is putting out pretty good much like in the video above. If you want more smoke flavor than the 5 minutes a side then do the 'reverse sear' by putting the cut of meat on the indirect heat to pretty much cook through. Check with a thermometer and when it is nearly to your favored temperature then give it a quick sear over the direct heat from the burner. 

14 minutes ago, IrieMon said:

So... I have a "wood smoke" question.... note:  Not talking about smoking meats (low and slow), but rather "grilling with smoke".

Good ole Cowboy Kent has a vid showing him grilling with large pieces of hard wood.   He soaks the wood, gets them smoking over high heat, followed by grilling steak (or whatever) as normal.

Anyone else do this method and find it really imparts a "smoke" flavor ?    For medium-rare, I typically grill 4 mins on one side, followed by 3 on the other.   Just can't see a lot of smokiness being imparted in such a short time.

For reference, heres the vid:

you'll probably impart a little smoke flavor in there,  i guess that's why he's throwing a large chunk in to generate smoke in a short time..   personally have not used high heat in a long time ..... low and slow...   everything is jucier nad tenderer  (sp)

yeah, i've done that sort of thing for decades except i don't bother to soak the wood.  takes too long to dry it out and get it to smoking.

and you can turn the grill into a semi-smoker by only leaving one burner on with the wood above that burner and low and slow the food.  pan of water helps with that.

it works.

OK guys howbouts some ideas. 

After looking for a long time I got a smoking deal on a Delta 32 inch grill head.

http://www.deltaheat.com/32-outdoor-gas-grill.shtml

It's a built in model but I want to make a not so permanent base/cabinet. 

Whatcha got for design and engineering ideas?

I will be working and traveling for a few days but will check in.

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

OK guys howbouts some ideas. 

After looking for a long time I got a smoking deal on a Delta 32 inch grill head.

http://www.deltaheat.com/32-outdoor-gas-grill.shtml

It's a built in model but I want to make a not so permanent base/cabinet. 

Whatcha got for design and engineering ideas?

I will be working and traveling for a few days but will check in.

get some slotted angle iron and build a base

xdrawing.JPG.pagespeed.ic.flkZVCjfKD.jpg

A new Weber kettle grill just showed up at the house. Early father's day present from the kids. All the BBQ and grilling I have done over the years and I have never owned a Weber. 

This thread has inspired me to brush up on my techniques and the food has been even better, I tend to get into a rush and the food tastes good, but pay attention to the details and it tastes great. Can't wait to try out the new grill.

Looking forward to trying some smoker techniques, the old grill wasn't quite large enough to do a charcoal snake. Next week there will be a lot of pork on the grill. 

On 6/14/2018 at 2:05 PM, IStream said:

Those kettles put Weber on the map for a reason. They're fantastic.

Yeah, they're incredibly forgiving. Invented by cutting a mooring buoy in half.

My new gas grill does a great job but it's not as satisfying to use. Firing up a Weber kettle is an event. The gas grill is an appliance that makes tasty food.

I broke down and bought a sous vide with an Amazon gift card I got for my Bday. Interested to see how that whole thing works.