Sign in to follow this  
BillDBastard

Grilling 2018

Does anyone here use a temp probe to monitor the temp inside the grill plus the meat. I'm looking at some of the blue tooth enabled set ups and as impressive as they seem every one of them has mixed reviews. 

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want an accurate reading of the temp in the grill and in the meat. 

Recommendations?

25 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Does anyone here use a temp probe to monitor the temp inside the grill plus the meat. I'm looking at some of the blue tooth enabled set ups and as impressive as they seem every one of them has mixed reviews. 

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want an accurate reading of the temp in the grill and in the meat. 

Recommendations?

not wireless, but it's the gold standard..  thermapen

I see they've come up with a wired option

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

and a wireless version

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

17 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Recommendations?

I'm old school - I use a penetrating meat thermometer to check internal temps after I think it *should* be done, and a probe in the lid to check grill temps. My younger brother likes to use one of the bluetooth devices for his smoker, and he's been pretty impressed with it.   I *think* his is an Aidmax.   

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I'm just looking for a way to not have to open the lid so often. I'm good with steaks and chicken... But the larger meats that take a long time, I want something better.

1 minute ago, chinabald said:

I'm just looking for a way to not have to open the lid so often. I'm good with steaks and chicken... But the larger meats that take a long time, I want something better.

i updated the post for a wireless one..  called smoke..   thermapens are what we use in homebrewing

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'm old school - I use a penetrating meat thermometer to check internal temps after I think it *should* be done, and a probe in the lid to check grill temps. My younger brother likes to use one of the bluetooth devices for his smoker, and he's been pretty impressed with it.   I *think* his is an Aidmax.   

A buddy of mine thought his briskets and pork shoulders were cooking too fast, so he bought a bluetooth, and when his built in thermometer was reading 210 and the probe he put in via a vent hole said 190, the bluetooth probe inside was reading 268. When he started adjusting to the blue tooth temp he wound up with better results. 

Just now, chinabald said:

A buddy of mine thought his briskets and pork shoulders were cooking too fast, so he bought a bluetooth, and when his built in thermometer was reading 210 and the probe he put in via a vent hole said 190, the bluetooth probe inside was reading 268. When he started adjusting to the blue tooth temp he wound up with better results. 

if you're talking about those  dial thermometers ?   not reliable at all..   the smoke above , has a air temp probe or meat probe, so you can monitor the smoke chamber ,

4 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Thanks for that - makes me think I need to make sure the thermometers I'm relying on are at least close to calibrated.  I've been guilty of "more done than I wanted" on a few occasions. 

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if you're talking about those  dial thermometers ?   not reliable at all..   the smoke above , has a air temp probe or meat probe, so you can monitor the smoke chamber ,

Yes, thats the sort of thing I am looking for. 

3 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Yes, thats the sort of thing I am looking for. 

dang,  it can do both at the same time ,   I may have to upgrade...

" 2-Channels, one for the meat and one for the pit "

just remember unless the probe is designated waterproof,  don't submerge it ...  DAMHIK

57 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I see they've come up with a wired option

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

and a wireless version

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

They are having a 20% off sale today on the Mk4

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4-DOD-July18-SM?tw=SMOKINGMEAT

Putting a whole turkey breast on the Weber today. Never tried it before. Looks easy enough. 

well the wife ran out of town this morning  leaving me to do wetfiw ,  saw costco has some prime beef in the non-vegan section,

help me decide..

big fat ribeye  bone in or not ,   some ny strips..  plenty of tenderloin except it's hard to get just one in a package (may have to ask) ...  ribs?  i dbout they have anything in prime..

Paying for prime ribeye is often a waste since even choice is well marbled. Same with ribs. I'm not a huge tenderloin fan, not much flavor though prime might be better. I've had some great prime NY Strips but the choice ones leave me disappointed more often than not. Given that delta, I'd go for the prime NY Strips.

41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well the wife ran out of town this morning  leaving me to do wetfiw ,  saw costco has some prime beef in the non-vegan section,

help me decide..

big fat ribeye  bone in or not ,   some ny strips..  plenty of tenderloin except it's hard to get just one in a package (may have to ask) ...  ribs?  i dbout they have anything in prime..

Ribeye all day. Bone in. Fuck tenderloin. If you can get a standing rib, hit that shit like it owes you money. Make them truss it.

A standing rib for one person? I'd be full from nibbling off the grill before it even hit the plate and you'd never be able to tell!

I can respect that. Bone-in ribeye was my go-to for years but my wife is fat/gristle/bone phobic, so I dabbled in NY Strips for a while and was generally disappointed with anything under $12/lb. Now it's usually tri-tip for us. 

Bone in RibEye......always. NY Strip a distant second. In fact I’d take a Hanger before a N.Y. Strip....I don’t mind the strip but it pales in comparison. Tenderloin.......dog food. If I’m doing a roast it’s almost always a Tri Tip. There are SO many ways to prepare a Tri Tip, I never get tired of it. I do Flap/Skirt/Flank quite often on the BBQ as Carne Asada. 

9 hours ago, chinabald said:

Almost there 

91280589-F19D-4A3B-90C3-FD1694512685.jpeg

I do a whole turkey on our Weber every Thanksgiving. Largest so far was 22 pounds. That required some creative rearrangment of the grill heights, but it worked out. The average is 16 to 18 pounds and three and a half hours.

Great recipes on the Weber website.

• Downvote 1

New coonass boucherie in town...the pork and pepperjack sausage was freakin' awesome...am sooooo gonna try and emulate this on next sausage making night...

20180806_201428.jpg

11 hours ago, Grabbler said:

New coonass boucherie in town...the pork and pepperjack sausage was freakin' awesome...am sooooo gonna try and emulate this on next sausage making night...

What are the bolts coming through the grate for? Is it for positioning another grate higher up?

34 minutes ago, chinabald said:

What are the bolts coming through the grate for? Is it for positioning another grate higher up?

pizza stand   or flame diffuser ?   looks like an egg setup.

I've never much used gas grills, I preferred the charcoal and then I added bits of crabapple wood for the flavor. But lately my son and I have been tailgating before his Little League baseball games, and charcoal isn't going to work, we just needed something to grill the dogs and the smores fast. I picked up a cheap-ass STOK Tourist gas grill from Home Depot, I fully expected it to be the piece of crap that the $40 price tag suggested it would be. Though I liked the way it folded up and fit in a little corner behind the seat.

Four weeks later, it's now one of my favorite grills ever ... I even set it up on the gate of my truck and grill a burger on my lunch hour. Screw the damned microwave in the office lunchroom, I'm a man, I cook my lunch with fire, as I should, in the parking lot, on the back gate of a dirty truck, with the odors of gasoline and rubber. The meat doesn't complain.

9 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I've never much used gas grills, I preferred the charcoal and then I added bits of crabapple wood for the flavor. But lately my son and I have been tailgating before his Little League baseball games, and charcoal isn't going to work, we just needed something to grill the dogs and the smores fast. I picked up a cheap-ass STOK Tourist gas grill from Home Depot, I fully expected it to be the piece of crap that the $40 price tag suggested it would be. Though I liked the way it folded up and fit in a little corner behind the seat.

Four weeks later, it's now one of my favorite grills ever ... I even set it up on the gate of my truck and grill a burger on my lunch hour. Screw the damned microwave in the office lunchroom, I'm a man, I cook my lunch with fire, as I should, in the parking lot, on the back gate of a dirty truck, with the odors of gasoline and rubber. The meat doesn't complain.

fill yer truck bed with pottingsoil and plant onions, Chilies, Maderz, Cilantro, and Pot

skipp yer breaks and take a longer lunch 

11 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Anybody ever do corned beef?

I'm curious to do one on the Egg.

Yes...it's the only way I've done corned beef for the last decade...pretty simple, you can start with the store bought package, or brine your own...you'll never go back...

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-recipe-thats-close-katzs

9 hours ago, mikewof said:

I picked up a cheap-ass STOK Tourist gas grill from Home Depot, I fully expected it to be the piece of crap that the $40 price tag suggested it would be. Though I liked the way it folded up and fit in a little corner behind the seat.

I took my trash can out to the street this spring and there was the BIG 4 burner flagship of the STOK lineup sitting on the curb a few doors down. I had heard good things about the STOK and took a look and it seemed that the original burner tubes were looking pretty rough. I went inside to look on the net what it would cost to replace the burners and was amazed at all the nifty inserts an what a well thought out system the QUATTRO was. Replacement burners were pretty reasonably priced so I went back out to claim my find but some rednecks in a pickup truck had just loaded it up and were pulling away! You snooze you lose!

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

I took my trash can out to the street this spring and there was the BIG 4 burner flagship of the STOK lineup sitting on the curb a few doors down. I had heard good things about the STOK and took a look and it seemed that the original burner tubes were looking pretty rough. I went inside to look on the net what it would cost to replace the burners and was amazed at all the nifty inserts an what a well thought out system the QUATTRO was. Replacement burners were pretty reasonably priced so I went back out to claim my find but some rednecks in a pickup truck had just loaded it up and were pulling away! You snooze you lose!

Rednecks in a truck will get you.every time. A geologist in my office building threw out a bunch of outdoor chairs. I set them up as a little smoking area on the rocks outside the office. The canvas on all the chairs then immediately ripped from sun-rot.

I figured, I'm a redneck, I have a truck, so I loaded a bunch of old cedar fence planks, took them to the office, cut them to size and made redneck seats for those broken chairs, comfy! The Texas lawyer called his daughter over to show her, "see honey, this is what rednecks do when things break."

33 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Then you will appreciate this Mike,

pure-redneck-ingenuity.jpg

Now that's a grill, looks like it was built just for that occasion, judging by the spit stands. But what is on that rotisserie? Is that some kind of goat/pig hybrid?

Just now, mikewof said:

Now that's a grill, looks like it was built just for that occasion, judging by the spit stands. But what is on that rotisserie? Is that some kind of goat/pig hybrid?

Looks like a coyote to me...

32 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Looks like a coyote to me...

it does!  and that's disturbing.  surely it's a pig though.  I'm a card carrying hillbilly...we didn't eat no coyotes though.,