Sign in to follow this  
BillDBastard

Grilling 2018

Does anyone here use a temp probe to monitor the temp inside the grill plus the meat. I'm looking at some of the blue tooth enabled set ups and as impressive as they seem every one of them has mixed reviews. 

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want an accurate reading of the temp in the grill and in the meat. 

Recommendations?

25 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Does anyone here use a temp probe to monitor the temp inside the grill plus the meat. I'm looking at some of the blue tooth enabled set ups and as impressive as they seem every one of them has mixed reviews. 

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles, I just want an accurate reading of the temp in the grill and in the meat. 

Recommendations?

not wireless, but it's the gold standard..  thermapen

I see they've come up with a wired option

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

and a wireless version

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

17 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Recommendations?

I'm old school - I use a penetrating meat thermometer to check internal temps after I think it *should* be done, and a probe in the lid to check grill temps. My younger brother likes to use one of the bluetooth devices for his smoker, and he's been pretty impressed with it.   I *think* his is an Aidmax.   

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I'm just looking for a way to not have to open the lid so often. I'm good with steaks and chicken... But the larger meats that take a long time, I want something better.

1 minute ago, chinabald said:

I'm just looking for a way to not have to open the lid so often. I'm good with steaks and chicken... But the larger meats that take a long time, I want something better.

i updated the post for a wireless one..  called smoke..   thermapens are what we use in homebrewing

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'm old school - I use a penetrating meat thermometer to check internal temps after I think it *should* be done, and a probe in the lid to check grill temps. My younger brother likes to use one of the bluetooth devices for his smoker, and he's been pretty impressed with it.   I *think* his is an Aidmax.   

A buddy of mine thought his briskets and pork shoulders were cooking too fast, so he bought a bluetooth, and when his built in thermometer was reading 210 and the probe he put in via a vent hole said 190, the bluetooth probe inside was reading 268. When he started adjusting to the blue tooth temp he wound up with better results. 

Just now, chinabald said:

A buddy of mine thought his briskets and pork shoulders were cooking too fast, so he bought a bluetooth, and when his built in thermometer was reading 210 and the probe he put in via a vent hole said 190, the bluetooth probe inside was reading 268. When he started adjusting to the blue tooth temp he wound up with better results. 

if you're talking about those  dial thermometers ?   not reliable at all..   the smoke above , has a air temp probe or meat probe, so you can monitor the smoke chamber ,

4 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Thanks for that - makes me think I need to make sure the thermometers I'm relying on are at least close to calibrated.  I've been guilty of "more done than I wanted" on a few occasions. 

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if you're talking about those  dial thermometers ?   not reliable at all..   the smoke above , has a air temp probe or meat probe, so you can monitor the smoke chamber ,

Yes, thats the sort of thing I am looking for. 

3 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Yes, thats the sort of thing I am looking for. 

dang,  it can do both at the same time ,   I may have to upgrade...

" 2-Channels, one for the meat and one for the pit "

just remember unless the probe is designated waterproof,  don't submerge it ...  DAMHIK

57 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I see they've come up with a wired option

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

and a wireless version

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

They are having a 20% off sale today on the Mk4

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4-DOD-July18-SM?tw=SMOKINGMEAT