10 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Don't. Onions contain N-propyl disulfide. It destroys your dogs red blood cells and can kill them through anemia.

Ask your vet if you don't believe me. It's serious shit.

Same as lots of fat, kills em due to pancreatitis. A good friend lost his dog because he let it lap up drippings under a hog roaster.

Ask your vet.

Yep....I wouldn't know any of that except my vet has a giant poster in the waiting room titled "people food that can kill your dog". There are a number of things on that list that I found surprising.

Grapes are super bad. Thankfully, raspberries are fine since my dog eats them all off the bushes before I get a chance to pick them.

I didn't know about the fat. Her food has 18% crude fat in it.

Fats bad for people too. And yet the recipe I used today said “add the olive oil to the reserved bacon grease” 

Depending on the season, my dogs eat endless acorns, lychees, avocados, mangos, persimmons, carambolas, and various other things that might be bad. There's not really much I can do about it. Hasn't killed any yet but I do wonder just how many acorns a dog should eat?

4 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Depending on the season, my dogs eat endless acorns, lychees, avocados, mangos, persimmons, carambolas, and various other things that might be bad. There's not really much I can do about it. Hasn't killed any yet but I do wonder just how many acorns a dog should eat?

When they start growing antlers cut back on the acorns. 

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Grapes are super bad. Thankfully, raspberries are fine since my dog eats them all off the bushes before I get a chance to pick them.

I didn't know about the fat. Her food has 18% crude fat in it.

18% isn't 100%

One of our old Labs, Wayward, ate a whole fried turkey, washed down with copious quantities of the oil it had been cooked in while we were out on a dove hunt for a few hours...no ill effects, unless you count a fat ugly lab sprawled out on the floor farting and unable to move with grease dripping off his jowls for three days as unpleasant...then again this is the same Lab who ran off/disappeared for five or so weeks and finally showed up back home having gained weight, while the mutt who travelled with him returned emaciated as all get-out...

12 hours ago, Grabbler said:

One of our old Labs, Wayward, ate a whole fried turkey, washed down with copious quantities of the oil it had been cooked in while we were out on a dove hunt for a few hours...no ill effects, unless you count a fat ugly lab sprawled out on the floor farting and unable to move with grease dripping off his jowls for three days as unpleasant...then again this is the same Lab who ran off/disappeared for five or so weeks and finally showed up back home having gained weight, while the mutt who travelled with him returned emaciated as all get-out...

You owe me a keyboard ya fugger you! 

On 1/2/2019 at 7:48 PM, Grabbler said:

Other than a very rare (pun intended) ribeye, venison and wild pig are the only red meat we eat...pretty successful weekend...gonna be a lot of butchering going on in the galley over the next few nights...between Jr., his girlfriend and myself, three of these are on the way to our freezer...

A4AFCE60-.jpg

How many of those equal one of these? She's going to hang a bit then I'll be whittling for a few days, then grilling.

20190116_101506.jpg

By the way, that's a 10'6" ceiling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmiller said:

How many of those equal one of these? She's going to hang a bit then I'll be whittling for a few days, then grilling.

20190116_101506.jpg

By the way, that's a 10'6" ceiling.

That's a bigggun, what did he weigh?

It's a cow, they typically go 500 plus on the hoof. I got stupid lucky and was able to back a truck up to her. Still a load of work getting it in the bed.

When I started gutting you could hear coyotes in the distance yipping. When we left they were going nuts just out of sight in some scrubby pinon. Scavenger feast ensued. 

That's a metric shit ton of sausage ya got hangin' there...meanwhile, back in Smallsville...grabbed some fresh shrimp off the boat on Saturday for shrimp and grits, so I picked up a few pounds extra for venison-shrimp boudin...not on the grill... yet...saved a little extra for fried boudin balls...

20190121_211105.jpg

Drop dead gorgeous day down here...worked in shorts and T-shirt...not like the Egg hasn't been fired up lately, but tonight was venison backstrap stuffed with spinach, basil from buddy's greenhouse and last summer's dried tomatoes...with a stuffed chicken side for the non-gamer boyfriend (amazingly still around) and some smoked venison sausage for a taste tickler...

20190207_192816.jpg

Yah.... It's been pretty nice for the last week or so.... Did up a big rib eye on the grill two nights ago. It was spectacular then..... Last night I couldn't eat. But the steak and cheese sandwiches we had with the leftovers tonight were just as good as before.

I got a little sunburned working on repairing the raised bed gardens today. It was supposed to be cloudy, but it wasn't.

(OK, I didn't get sunburned, just a little rosy)

We did a 2"  bone-in ribeye on Saturday...leftovers made French Dip sambos for supper Sunday after working late on the boat...this backstrap worked pretty well...

20190207_195100.jpg

I think I'd get a dose of penicillin after even tasting that!

What do you call it? "Bourbon street hooker at 4AM steak"?

(Actually it looks delicious!)

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I think I'd get a dose of penicillin after even tasting that!

What do you call it? "Bourbon street hooker at 4AM steak"?

(Actually it looks delicious!)

I'm quite uncomfortable now...a fresh point of view is not always a good thing...:o

I hate you Grabs. 50 mph wind and 9 degrees makes grilling a little tough. My broiler and cast iron are getting a workout but while the flavor is there, the experience isn't. Cabin fever is setting in.

On 12/24/2018 at 3:22 PM, dacapo said:

FD987218-4C4D-40AC-BAC6-0B6A894A62AC.thumb.jpeg.be297b2b562e4d8be07e8a74dfcd2730.jpeg

Spent yesterday smoking a pork butt and drinking  gin and tonics. 

In the summer I like sitting on my butt, smoking and drinking gin and tonics.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Ed Lada said:

In the summer I like sitting on my butt, smoking and drinking gin and tonics.

Funnier if you have a porky butt.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:44 PM, Grabbler said:

with a stuffed chicken side for the non-gamer boyfriend (amazingly still around)

The ones who stick around generally start eating game meat. And soon realize how strange "nah, I want chicken" sounds when looking at your grill.

What's wrong with the boy?

2 minutes ago, Contumacious Tom said:

Funnier if you have a porky butt.

I am maybe a pound or 3 over my ideal weight and if I gain weight it goes straight to my belly, like most aging men.  I have no hips and no butt, I really have to clinch my belt tight to keep my jeans from falling off.  Of course I refuse to wear suspenders, that's just not cool.

bbq.jpg

propane grills...

its time,  my kitchenaid stainless steel grill is pretty much shot...  from the outside  looks good.  but once you look inside  the guts are falling out.  I put new burnersand grates  in a couple years ago.  and they are fine,  but the floor of the grill and high heat areas are decomposing and starting to fall out.

I could probably shoulder through another season.  But....maybe its time to buy a new one...

anyone have any favorites...  looking hard at the weber genesis  ii   335 or 435 series...

If we're back to grill choices?  I still think that the Big Green Egg is the best thing long-term - BUT - ya gotta be patient getting it warmed up.  Gas grills?  I've not seen any that will last outside more than 5 years.  

Yeah don’t want to deal with charcoal.... otherwise a ceramic cooker would be on the list....the crown verity is about a grand outside of my price range....

11-1200. Bucks I can hide in expenses

all grills need parts.  Im not againsthaving  to buy burners or grates, flavorizer bars, ect. And I consider them consumables, But the frame and core of the grill needs to be able to survive

i guess I could always go cheap. Spend a couple hundred and toss it every few years...ya know. Embrace the suckof a disposable society.  

If I had my druthers I’d modify a 60-80 gallon tank make a reverse flow smoker that’s got propane heat for grilling.  And kill two birds with one stone...

I broke down and went to a Broil King propane with a rotisserie. Only 1 year in but it seems solid. Stainless with heavy steel grates. Works well so far.

After a few high end grills, we bought a Broil King, its no Crown Verity (imho as nice as they get) , but for $800 its a really nice grill.

I've got this one:

https://www.bullbbq.com/grill-carts/bbq-carts/brahma-cart

It's been living outside, uncovered, in rainy Seattle for 4 winters so far and shows no signs of decay. Its only fault is sensitivity to wind from behind. I guess they intended it to be up against a wall. After I figured this out, I riveted a length of aluminum L bracket in the gap between the lid and the rear shroud and it hasn't been a problem since.

I did a 5 lb boneless leg of lamb on the grill a week ago Sunday. My family is a mix of done-rare-a-little-fat's-fine types and medum-well-no-bones-or-fat-please types. I brought the lamb to 140F internal and everyone got what they liked. We ate about half of it so last night I reheated the second half on the grill after letting it get to room temp on the counter. The timing is tricky but if you keep the heat indirect, turn it every 10 minutes, and keep a close eye on the meat thermometer the center comes out pink and it's still juicy. Not that you asked.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:20 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

If we're back to grill choices?  I still think that the Big Green Egg is the best thing long-term - BUT - ya gotta be patient getting it warmed up.  Gas grills?  I've not seen any that will last outside more than 5 years.  

I can get my BGE fired up in about 3 minutes, then up to whatever cooking temp I'm gonna need from 200-500°F in about another 15-20 minutes, time I use to suck down a beer and do final prep on whatever food is going on it...kinda like sailing, its supposed to be about the journey and the experience itself...gas grills are kinda like jet skis, I mean they get you there, but was it worth bashing that beer can against your teeth and having half the beer blow past your earhole???

A few years ago my wife wasn’t keen on the idea of a smoker. Would we use it enough? 

Last year I got the Weber kettle grill and with some patience was able to make some really good bbq. Last week we are shopping and she is pointing out smokers on sale. 

Just now, chinabald said:

A few years ago my wife wasn’t keen on the idea of a smoker. Would we use it enough? 

Last year I got the Weber kettle grill and with some patience was able to make some really good bbq. Last week we are shopping and she is pointing out smokers on sale. 

Golf clap.

10 hours ago, chinabald said:

I've got a Weber Smoky Mountain. Dead nuts simple smoker. Brisket? OK.

7915433166_e9a804b195_b.jpg

7915449548_ecf0b1fc4a_b.jpg

7919003640_3f1e3d0d43_b.jpg

• Like 1

The bull is nice istream,  but 4x more than I want to spend....  ended up with the Weber genesis ii 330. Bought from a mom pop hardware store.  Assembled delivered and set up less than 24 hours after purchase up for the same price as the big box stores...

so we’ll see how it goes.  

Love my master built vertical smoker. Going to put it to good use this weekend

pics will follow.  

I've got a buddy who builds these Argentinian style grills completely out of stainless...unfortunately he lives in Costa Rica, otherwise I'd have me one to add to the collection...

IMG-f925f2c19971ba0497cdbeb9c1ff38af-V.jpg

IMG-f9e79c48d4ef89ba16d55c437ca3f1d6-V.jpg

That is very nice but it needs to be installed next to a brick fireplace so you can make the charcoal as you cook. 

4 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

The bull is nice istream,  but 4x more than I want to spend....  ended up with the Weber genesis ii 330. Bought from a mom pop hardware store.  Assembled delivered and set up less than 24 hours after purchase up for the same price as the big box stores...

so we’ll see how it goes.  

Love my master built vertical smoker. Going to put it to good use this weekend

pics will follow.  

Yeah, they are proud of them. I got mine with "Urban Islands" branding from Costco for about 50% of normal Bull pricing. The only difference was the stamped versus cast stainless burners. When I was having the issues with wind coming in the back I called Bull for advice and they said it might be the burners so they sent me a complete set of cast stainless burners free of charge. 

Weber has moved to a stamped stainless burners rather than cast.  But 10 year warranty 100% coverage. We’ll see if I need to use it

in my experience with most grills is the burners and base of the grill usually go first.  

That argentinian grill looks real nice.  And we’ll made.  

1 minute ago, Marcjsmith said:

Weber has moved to a stamped stainless burners rather than cast.  But 10 year warranty 100% coverage. We’ll see if I need to use it

in my experience with most grills is the burners and base of the grill usually go first.  

That argentinian grill looks real nice.  And we’ll made.  

Agree that burners and base seem to go first. You can usually replace the burners a few times before the base is no longer functional.

3 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Agree that burners and base seem to go first. You can usually replace the burners a few times before the base is no longer functional.

And that where I was with my kitchen aide.  It was getting really warm under the cabinet to the point after cooking I had to wait about an hour until the top of the tank was cool enough to turn the gas off.  

I got 2 homemade corned beefs from Kallis, the German butcher shop.  One went in the pot, the other on the Egg, I guess that makes it a pastrami.  Sandwich for lunch and it will be a Reuben for supper.

From my Joy Of Cooking recipe for pastrami, "One of our correspondents produces pastrami by attaching the marinated meat to a continuously revolving rotisserie and smoking it outdoors over his "char-broil: barbecue grill, using plenty of charcoal and oak and hickory chips.  This procedure takes about 10 hours and may or may not meet with complete neighborhood approval."

Just found a local farm who raises and butchers their steers, then sells if from a small market on their property. If the flank steak I bought is any indication of the quality of the meat I will be grilling a lot of steaks and BBQing some brisket soon. 

started the spring in earnest.  5 rack sof BB ribs, 2 shoulders, one corned beef brisket, and a variety of  a dozen sausages

5 racks went on the new weber grill for 3 hours and the sausages where on the smoker for 3 hours.

the shoulders and corned beef went in the smoker for 12 hours.  probably 9 active hours of smoke.  the last three i didn't refill the wood tray and was tired

usually I just smoke for 3-5 hours, and then wrap tight and cook for the remain 7-9.  did not do the wrap.  nice bark, all the meat was moist.  well flavored.  the smoked corned beef was very yummy as well.

57438011037__2D023023-6D69-46D8-8535-B7F89014EDFB.JPG

IMG_6502.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

started the spring in earnest.  5 rack sof BB ribs, 2 shoulders, one corned beef brisket, and a variety of  a dozen sausages

5 racks went on the new weber grill for 3 hours and the sausages where on the smoker for 3 hours.

the shoulders and corned beef went in the smoker for 12 hours.  probably 9 active hours of smoke.  the last three i didn't refill the wood tray and was tired

usually I just smoke for 3-5 hours, and then wrap tight and cook for the remain 7-9.  did not do the wrap.  nice bark, all the meat was moist.  well flavored.  the smoked corned beef was very yummy as well.

IMG_6502.jpg

Sounds and looks delicious. Were you feeding an army? 

6 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

IMG_6502.jpg

Looks awesome, but how many folks were you feeding? That would be a lot even for my old firehouse and that was 13 guys.....big guys..............

Had two dozen guys.  Everyone had something to take home.  Plus I like leftovers when swmbo isn’t around. 

When I fire up the smoker, if I’m going spend 12 hours with it, might as well fill it up, it not that much extra work.

12 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Had two dozen guys.  Everyone had something to take home.  Plus I like leftovers when swmbo isn’t around. 

When I fire up the smoker, if I’m going spend 12 hours with it, might as well fill it up, it not that much extra work.

Well done. WFD. Sounds like a great time.

12 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

IMG_6502.jpg

You got a nice smoke ring on that Boston butt!

I did baby backs yesterday. It was windy so I was worried but the grill freakin' nailed it. So good.