Sign in to follow this  
BillDBastard

Grilling 2018

10 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Don't. Onions contain N-propyl disulfide. It destroys your dogs red blood cells and can kill them through anemia.

Ask your vet if you don't believe me. It's serious shit.

Same as lots of fat, kills em due to pancreatitis. A good friend lost his dog because he let it lap up drippings under a hog roaster.

Ask your vet.

Yep....I wouldn't know any of that except my vet has a giant poster in the waiting room titled "people food that can kill your dog". There are a number of things on that list that I found surprising.

Grapes are super bad. Thankfully, raspberries are fine since my dog eats them all off the bushes before I get a chance to pick them.

I didn't know about the fat. Her food has 18% crude fat in it.

Fats bad for people too. And yet the recipe I used today said “add the olive oil to the reserved bacon grease” 

Depending on the season, my dogs eat endless acorns, lychees, avocados, mangos, persimmons, carambolas, and various other things that might be bad. There's not really much I can do about it. Hasn't killed any yet but I do wonder just how many acorns a dog should eat?

4 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Depending on the season, my dogs eat endless acorns, lychees, avocados, mangos, persimmons, carambolas, and various other things that might be bad. There's not really much I can do about it. Hasn't killed any yet but I do wonder just how many acorns a dog should eat?

When they start growing antlers cut back on the acorns. 

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Grapes are super bad. Thankfully, raspberries are fine since my dog eats them all off the bushes before I get a chance to pick them.

I didn't know about the fat. Her food has 18% crude fat in it.

18% isn't 100%

One of our old Labs, Wayward, ate a whole fried turkey, washed down with copious quantities of the oil it had been cooked in while we were out on a dove hunt for a few hours...no ill effects, unless you count a fat ugly lab sprawled out on the floor farting and unable to move with grease dripping off his jowls for three days as unpleasant...then again this is the same Lab who ran off/disappeared for five or so weeks and finally showed up back home having gained weight, while the mutt who travelled with him returned emaciated as all get-out...

12 hours ago, Grabbler said:

One of our old Labs, Wayward, ate a whole fried turkey, washed down with copious quantities of the oil it had been cooked in while we were out on a dove hunt for a few hours...no ill effects, unless you count a fat ugly lab sprawled out on the floor farting and unable to move with grease dripping off his jowls for three days as unpleasant...then again this is the same Lab who ran off/disappeared for five or so weeks and finally showed up back home having gained weight, while the mutt who travelled with him returned emaciated as all get-out...

You owe me a keyboard ya fugger you! 

On 1/2/2019 at 7:48 PM, Grabbler said:

Other than a very rare (pun intended) ribeye, venison and wild pig are the only red meat we eat...pretty successful weekend...gonna be a lot of butchering going on in the galley over the next few nights...between Jr., his girlfriend and myself, three of these are on the way to our freezer...

A4AFCE60-.jpg

How many of those equal one of these? She's going to hang a bit then I'll be whittling for a few days, then grilling.

20190116_101506.jpg

By the way, that's a 10'6" ceiling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmiller said:

How many of those equal one of these? She's going to hang a bit then I'll be whittling for a few days, then grilling.

20190116_101506.jpg

By the way, that's a 10'6" ceiling.

That's a bigggun, what did he weigh?

It's a cow, they typically go 500 plus on the hoof. I got stupid lucky and was able to back a truck up to her. Still a load of work getting it in the bed.

When I started gutting you could hear coyotes in the distance yipping. When we left they were going nuts just out of sight in some scrubby pinon. Scavenger feast ensued. 

That's a metric shit ton of sausage ya got hangin' there...meanwhile, back in Smallsville...grabbed some fresh shrimp off the boat on Saturday for shrimp and grits, so I picked up a few pounds extra for venison-shrimp boudin...not on the grill... yet...saved a little extra for fried boudin balls...

20190121_211105.jpg

Drop dead gorgeous day down here...worked in shorts and T-shirt...not like the Egg hasn't been fired up lately, but tonight was venison backstrap stuffed with spinach, basil from buddy's greenhouse and last summer's dried tomatoes...with a stuffed chicken side for the non-gamer boyfriend (amazingly still around) and some smoked venison sausage for a taste tickler...

20190207_192816.jpg

Yah.... It's been pretty nice for the last week or so.... Did up a big rib eye on the grill two nights ago. It was spectacular then..... Last night I couldn't eat. But the steak and cheese sandwiches we had with the leftovers tonight were just as good as before.

I got a little sunburned working on repairing the raised bed gardens today. It was supposed to be cloudy, but it wasn't.

(OK, I didn't get sunburned, just a little rosy)

We did a 2"  bone-in ribeye on Saturday...leftovers made French Dip sambos for supper Sunday after working late on the boat...this backstrap worked pretty well...

20190207_195100.jpg

I think I'd get a dose of penicillin after even tasting that!

What do you call it? "Bourbon street hooker at 4AM steak"?

(Actually it looks delicious!)

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I think I'd get a dose of penicillin after even tasting that!

What do you call it? "Bourbon street hooker at 4AM steak"?

(Actually it looks delicious!)

I'm quite uncomfortable now...a fresh point of view is not always a good thing...:o

I hate you Grabs. 50 mph wind and 9 degrees makes grilling a little tough. My broiler and cast iron are getting a workout but while the flavor is there, the experience isn't. Cabin fever is setting in.