Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Jesus Christ Superstar

So, when the album came out the year before the original Broadway production (1970?) it got lots of attention and criticism. I bought album and really enjoyed the music. It appealed to me as a young adult I explored the notions of Christianity and the counter culture non-stuffy presentation was interesting such that it made it okay to investigate seriously. I did see the play after it went on tour in the mid 70’s or so. Now, as I evolved to a belief of agnosticism bordering on atheism....I wondered if the new live televised version with John Legend would impress me from both a musical and nostalgic perspective. 

I really liked it. Surprised me. If it gets to Broadway or tours I’d very likely go see it. But I wonder if you weren’t a boomer who lived and considered the first version if there would be any interest at all or if the effort was a bust.

Anybody else?

BTW - the woman who sang “I Dont Know How to Love Him” knocked it out of the park......IMHO.

I was also very taken when the album first came out.  A good mate was quite religious, and the album changed his views considerably - it made so much sense.

I am quite irreligious, but I have seen live JCSS performances twice now - the latest a one night only performance in little old Darwin with basically an amateur (but talented) cast.  It was bloody fantastic!   The music and lyrics provide a great stage for big voices to shine.

Damn you PB - now it will take another few months to get the songs out of my head!

I haven't seen the new one.  I bought the original album when it came out.  Then I saw a live performance from a road company an then the road company from the Broadway production.  It's hard to beat the voice of Ian GIllian as Jesus from the original, in my opinion.  The movie was pretty good but the guy singing the part of Jesus was pretty weak but Judas was quite good.  Godspell came out in 1971, and the movie in 1973.  It had some very nice music in it.

I love the harmonies in this one.

56 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I was also very taken when the album first came out.  A good mate was quite religious, and the album changed his views considerably - it made so much sense.

I am quite irreligious, but I have seen live JCSS performances twice now - the latest a one night only performance in little old Darwin with basically an amateur (but talented) cast.  It was bloody fantastic!   The music and lyrics provide a great stage for big voices to shine.

Damn you PB - now it will take another few months to get the songs out of my head!

You won't find someone much less religious than me...but I must confess I'm very fond of this opera. This post may really belong over in the musical dirty pleasures thread given my atheistic bent. My parents had it, and we listened to it a fair amount when I was young. Especially around Easter. I was of the opinion that listening to Superstar on Good Friday should get me excused from going to church for the Passion and the Stations of the Cross since it's the same story but with way better music, but my mother never agreed.

But the music in this is just so damned good. And the way Webber weaves the different themes through the various songs...  Though I don't believe a bit of the supernatural angle on the Jesus story (and virtually no historical evidence supports the actual events), taken as a STORY, the spin on it is good. I like the humanization of Jesus, Judas, and Mary, and all the doubts and fears that drove them. You can keep your "Greatest Story Every Told" versions where Jesus breathes peaceful miracles and farts rainbows, and you can keep Mel Gibson's Jesus Chainsaw Massacre too. Superstar portrays Jesus as very human, which was the whole point of the alleged story, really. And it gives Judas a more human turn than the "he was an evil man who sold him out for the cash" version we were taught in Catechism.

Yeah, I can sing the whole album.

Had a hard time watching the live airing of it here on the boat, but NBC eventually put it all up on Youtube. It was damned good. I think I could listen to entire rock opera of the guys that played  Caiaphas and Judas singing duets.

--------------------------------------

I also must confess that I got no small amount of glee telling my mother the news when the guy that sang Jesus on the album started fronting for Black Sabbath...

• Like 1

^ Agreed. Whether you believe the story to be the inspired word of God or just a good story.....it’s a really remarkable story and Weber hit it out of the park in 1971 and I really liked this latest version. As you said better than I could, the humanizing of all the characters  including Judas was really well done. I always was troubled by the Judas part of the story. He was fated to betray Jesus.....Jesus knew it was going to happen....and in fact it was a necessary act if Jesus was to fulfill his purpose. Weber did a great job of humanizing that agony and the guy that played Judas damn near stole the show. I really liked Alice Cooper as Herod......that was frigging awesome. 

• Like 1

I rolled my eyes when it started. Then, I realized nothing else was really on so curiosity got me. It was a great production. And, I don't normally get into that kind of thing. The music, sets and performances were...epic. I was rooting for Judas. Is that wrong?

Good story. Great music. Well done.

edit: If you want to watch it you can. You have to turn ad blockers off though. ALW was 22 when he did this BTW.

https://www.nbc.com/jesus-christ-superstar/video/jesus-christ-superstar-live-in-concert/3689643

what an era ................

JC Superstar , Hair , Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat , Rocky Horror Picture Show , Starlight Express

they don't make 'em like that anymore :(

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I rolled my eyes when it started. Then, I realized nothing else was really on so curiosity got me. It was a great production. And, I don't normally get into that kind of thing. The music, sets and performances were...epic. I was rooting for Judas. Is that wrong?

Good story. Great music. Well done.

edit: If you want to watch it you can. You have to turn ad blockers off though. ALW was 22 when he did this BTW.

https://www.nbc.com/jesus-christ-superstar/video/jesus-christ-superstar-live-in-concert/3689643

I made a Playlist on Youtube so we could watch it. But you have to hit "Next" at the end of each song if you want to skip the mood-breaking "Watch it on our App" message at the end of each chunk.

It's only available in the US though. Or to computers that Youtube believes to be in the US.

Nice one BJ.

In youth group, we watched 'God' and 'JCSS'. Pretty liberal church - UCC. I was there for the girls.

BTW, one of the guys dancing in that can dance insanely. I've seen him in lots of stuff. I wonder who he is. The Asian guy. He was in the LMFAO vid 'Party Rock Anthem'. I touched that vid a bit but I can't remember his name.

Just now, austin1972 said:

Nice one BJ.

In youth group, we watched 'God' and 'JCSS'. Pretty liberal church - UCC. I was there for the girls.

We had a Godspell production come through out church.

Godspell is a lot more religious/pious than JCSS when you look more closely at the two.

My babysitter when I was a bub got his big break as Judas in the Australian production and the went on to be one of the biggest Aussie Pop stars of the 70’s. RIP Jon

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

WTF is Godspell? It sounds...Cult-ish.

Another hippie-era riff on the Jesus story. Not as...controversial...as JCSS.

The name alone was enough to make me stay well away from the very beginning.

1 hour ago, mad said:

The name alone was enough to make me stay well away from the very beginning.

It is pretty good and I am in no way a believer in any deity.  Godspell is set in modern day NYC and is the basic story of the last days of Jesus.  In the beginning of the film, there is an impromptu baptism in a city park fountain and in the end Jesus gets crucified on a chain link fence with police car lights in the background..  The songs and music are nice and it has some light moments.  Although much more reverent than JCSS, it doesn't shove the religion thing down your throat.

27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

It is pretty good and I am in no way a believer in any deity.  Godspell is set in modern day NYC and is the basic story of the last days of Jesus.  In the beginning of the film, there is an impromptu baptism in a city park fountain and in the end Jesus gets crucified on a chain link fence with police car lights in the background..  The songs and music are nice and it has some light moments.  Although much more reverent than JCSS, it doesn't shove the religion thing down your throat.

I'll take your word for it, having had religion rammed down my throat from a very early age, I have absolutely no time for it what so ever.

Believe, practice, pray.... whatever. Just don't expect me to waste any time on fairy tales. 

The sound track was OK....the message was undermining....I preferred Hair and it's positive message....I was raised Catholic and walked away at 18 never looked back and hold no hard feelings...I certainly would not disrespect or mock those that have religious beliefs of any faith...I do criticize those that hijack the basic teachings whatever religion which at the core are very similar and simple

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

The sound track was OK....the message was undermining....I preferred Hair and it's positive message....I was raised Catholic and walked away at 18 never looked back and hold no hard feelings...I certainly would not disrespect or mock those that have religious beliefs of any faith...I do criticize those that hijack the basic teachings whatever religion which at the core are very similar and simple

^^^^^^^^^^^this

• Like 1

I liked it, but it was not great.  The 1974 production that I saw in London, and the 2003 road production in Providence were both way better.  Judas did a great job when he wasn't being drowned out by the band, and Caiaphas was really good.  I saw him play Javier in Le Miz.

I am not a believer but I also like the musical. Something from my youth I guess.  I really like the TV production except for the frequent commercials which killed so much of the atmosphere.  The fact that it was live also was very exciting. Good for NBC for having the courage to do something like this. Here is my favorite clip from the show:

I was not a fan of the original, nor of "Hair", or any of the other musicals of the time. I was in to Shakespeare, and D'Oyly Carte, and the 3 Penny opera..... Call me odd.

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I was not a fan of the original, nor of "Hair", or any of the other musicals of the time. I was in to Shakespeare, and D'Oyly Carte, and the 3 Penny opera..... Call me odd.

Who....would have thought you were a .. Tommy   fan....

15 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Who....would have thought you were a .. Tommy   fan....

I'm not even a fan of "Tommy"... But I did/do love "Quadrophenia".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I have a BA in theater, I was a tech theater guy.  Although there are a few shows I absolutely hate, for the most part, almost any well done live theater is good theater.  I love Hair, Shakespeareand Brecht.  There is certainly enough out there that's there is something for everybody.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Odd

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

3PO wase coolle, I licked itto.                               :)

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm not even a fan of "Tommy"... But I did/do love "Quadrophenia".

Agreed. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:13 AM, mad said:
On 4/3/2018 at 8:05 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

^^^^^^^^^^^this

Same here.... but a few years later I went to see Deep Purple live and they did a couple of tunes from JCS and of course were totally awesome. Can't find a good YouToob clip of DP playing JCS but I went back and got the box set...... great stuff whatever your beliefs IMHO.

-DSK

Funny to me how being an atheist is a badge of honor around here. So I will boldly step out and say I'm not.  Hate that about me if you wish.

Back to the topic at hand, we bought the album and I saw the touring show at the Corpus Christi Auditorium which he the most awful acoustics you could imagine. Yet even in there, it was a great show. It didn't make a difference one way or another from a belief standpoint, I was already well familiar with the story and at that point, a believer mostly because I was raised to be.  Anyway, I loved it because of the music and the play itself . Looking back, it was an amazing work by one scarcely older than I at the time.

I haven't seen the new version but hope to catch it at some point.

9 minutes ago, wallcfa said:

Funny to me how being an atheist is a badge of honor around here. So I will boldly step out and say I'm not.  Hate that about me if you wish.

Back to the topic at hand, we bought the album and I saw the touring show at the Corpus Christi Auditorium which he the most awful acoustics you could imagine. Yet even in there, it was a great show. It didn't make a difference one way or another from a belief standpoint, I was already well familiar with the story and at that point, a believer mostly because I was raised to be.  Anyway, I loved it because of the music and the play itself . Looking back, it was an amazing work by one scarcely older than I at the time.

No one hates you for it. Believe what you like, it's no skin off my nose unless you try to push it on me. Otherwise, really, nobody cares.

For me, being very fond of this opera while being an atheist is a weird thing. I'm not enjoying it as an act of faith, I'm enjoying it for the music and the human twist on a traditional story. But it's a story which is core belief in the religion I was raised in. That also helps me enjoy the retelling a bit more I suppose, since it's a departure from the dreary reading of the Passion & Stations of the Cross I sat through every Good Friday growing up, and a departure from the more faith-centric divine versions of the story a la Greatest Story Ever Told, Jesus of Nazareth, etc. etc.

Given my predilection for SciFi, Fantasy, and some horror, I suppose it's not really straining to much to suspend disbelief in the same way to enjoy what to me is another bit of supernatural fiction. YMMV of course; you probably have a very different take on it given your faith. My parents, who are very faithful people, are the ones that brought be up listening to it.

The new one is worth a listen/watch. It's very good.

38 minutes ago, wallcfa said:

Not a badge of honour at all, just not remotely interested. More than likely from having it rammed down my throat as a child.

To each their own.

1 hour ago, wallcfa said:

Based on your comment, I reread the thread and didn't get the impression that anyone's comments were as you described "a badge of honor". I thought the distinction of being "religious" versus not was pertinent to whether folks enjoyed the musical or not independent of their own religious beliefs. Thats all. I have no issue with people who believe differently than I on that subject so long as it is not used to justify social injustice or discriminatory behaviors. The VAST majority of religious people I know are christian and the majority of those are good people who simply have come to a different conclusion than I have regarding the existence of a deity.

For me....I have put considerable effort into that question and since I am best described as an agnostic most of the time......I have not ruled it out...I simply see no evidence I am wrong. Believe me............I wish it was true as I can see it can be a comfort in many situations especially the notion that you will one day rejoin all your loved ones to live eternally together. I so wish that were true, but I see no evidence to support that. I do acknowledge that here in SA AND the world some atheists are quite strident in their belief that there is no deity. In fact, I found myself...on more than one occasion..defending the notion of religious beliefs in various debates. In fact BJ and I some years ago got into a protracted shitfight over some variation on that theme. It did kind of crack me up that here I was....an agnostic.....defending christian beliefs. Although in reality I was really defending the right to have and express those beliefs and whether that adversely impacted people without those beliefs more than whether there was indeed a deity involved. But in my mind the takeaway from that was this is a poor medium in which to debate such complicated questions. I didn't change my mind, and I certainly didn't change his. 

Anyway, I meant no insult in my inquiry and only mentioned my belief because I felt it framed and provided context to my question viewed through my own non-teleological lens. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Based on your comment, I reread the thread and didn't get the impression that anyone's comments were as you described "a badge of honor". I thought the distinction of being "religious" versus not was pertinent to whether folks enjoyed the musical or not independent of their own religious beliefs. Thats all. I have no issue with people who believe differently than I on that subject so long as it is not used to justify social injustice or discriminatory behaviors. The VAST majority of religious people I know are christian and the majority of those are good people who simply have come to a different conclusion than I have regarding the existence of a deity.

For me....I have put considerable effort into that question and since I am best described as an agnostic most of the time......I have not ruled it out...I simply see no evidence I am wrong. Believe me............I wish it was true as I can see it can be a comfort in many situations especially the notion that you will one day rejoin all your loved ones to live eternally together. I so wish that were true, but I see no evidence to support that. I do acknowledge that here in SA AND the world some atheists are quite strident in their belief that there is no deity. In fact, I found myself...on more than one occasion..defending the notion of religious beliefs in various debates. In fact BJ and I some years ago got into a protracted shitfight over some variation on that theme. It did kind of crack me up that here I was....an agnostic.....defending christian beliefs. Although in reality I was really defending the right to have and express those beliefs and whether that adversely impacted people without those beliefs more than whether there was indeed a deity involved. But in my mind the takeaway from that was this is a poor medium in which to debate such complicated questions. I didn't change my mind, and I certainly didn't change his. 

Anyway, I meant no insult in my inquiry and only mentioned my belief because I felt it framed and provided context to my question viewed through my own non-teleological lens. 

hence most religions are based on "faith"...I just don't know but have tried to live my life by the basic teachings of Christianity ,as that is the religion I am most familiar with although do have a basic understanding of others. If there is a life here after I am taking my chances I'll get a wink and a nod at the Pearly Gates and a wave around to the side door...   ;-)

To be fair to all who have posted in this the thread the "Badge of Honor" comment was based on my entire experience on SA, not specifically on this thread. And PB, I agree that on this thread in particular, it is a relevant point to bring up as one's point of view could impact their thoughts about the work. I've always liked what you've had to say and you approach life thoughtfully, which is more than I can say for many people (in and out of SA)

So on the Atheism topic there is a phrase I've liked over the years that is actually true regarding one point in my life, "I've tried to be an Atheist but found I'm incapable of that much faith"    

11 minutes ago, wallcfa said:

So on the Atheism topic there is a phrase I've liked over the years that is actually true regarding one point in my life, "I've tried to be an Atheist but found I'm incapable of that much faith"    

:lol:

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

hence most religions are based on "faith"...I just don't know but have tried to live my life by the basic teachings of Christianity ,as that is the religion I am most familiar with although do have a basic understanding of others. If there is a life here after I am taking my chances I'll get a wink and a nod at the Pearly Gates and a wave around to the side door...   ;-)

Personally, my plan is to bribe St Peter into letting me in. Not sure whether to bring him a six-pack or a nice single malt.........

-DSK

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Personally, my plan is to bribe St Peter into letting me in. Not sure whether to bring him a six-pack or a nice single malt.........

-DSK

Come on. As a sailor you know St. Peter wants a bottle of rum.

• Like 1

He was a fisherman after all!

I liked "Life of Brian"

"Always look on the bright side of life do do do do dah dah dah dah do do....."

Watched it with my wife and daughter.  That soundtrack was on heavy rotation on the console stereo in my parents' living room.  I sang every word, even though I haven't heard those songs in decades.  My wife had never heard the songs and the music kinda dominated early in the show.

I liked the production and felt John Legend was rather wooden.  Granted, there was little "acting", but he seemed capable of only one facial expression.

Sara Bareilles knocked it out of the park as Mary Magdelene and Brandon Victor Dixon was amazing as Judas.  Even Alice Cooper did a damned fine job as King Herod.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:34 PM, B.J. Porter said:

You won't find someone much less religious than me...but I must confess I'm very fond of this opera. This post may really belong over in the musical dirty pleasures thread given my atheistic bent. My parents had it, and we listened to it a fair amount when I was young. Especially around Easter. I was of the opinion that listening to Superstar on Good Friday should get me excused from going to church for the Passion and the Stations of the Cross since it's the same story but with way better music, but my mother never agreed.

But the music in this is just so damned good. And the way Webber weaves the different themes through the various songs...  Though I don't believe a bit of the supernatural angle on the Jesus story (and virtually no historical evidence supports the actual events), taken as a STORY, the spin on it is good. I like the humanization of Jesus, Judas, and Mary, and all the doubts and fears that drove them. You can keep your "Greatest Story Every Told" versions where Jesus breathes peaceful miracles and farts rainbows, and you can keep Mel Gibson's Jesus Chainsaw Massacre too. Superstar portrays Jesus as very human, which was the whole point of the alleged story, really. And it gives Judas a more human turn than the "he was an evil man who sold him out for the cash" version we were taught in Catechism.

Yeah, I can sing the whole album.

Had a hard time watching the live airing of it here on the boat, but NBC eventually put it all up on Youtube. It was damned good. I think I could listen to entire rock opera of the guys that played  Caiaphas and Judas singing duets.

--------------------------------------

I also must confess that I got no small amount of glee telling my mother the news when the guy that sang Jesus on the album started fronting for Black Sabbath...

I can't resist BJ... John 13:38. Sometimes it is too easy!! :)

Hope you and the family are doing well!!!

• Like 1

BTW that was a great production. The only thing that took away from it was the paid / industry muppets that occupy the front few rows of the TV productions (not the players).  

You never know where you will find Jesus.  I was at a train station outside of Barcelona a few years ago and I looked into a garbage can and found this tableau.

Spain.jpg.0eb1f1d860c81e53b76022505e37a25c.jpg

10 hours ago, Vin said:

I can't resist BJ... John 13:38. Sometimes it is too easy!! :)

Hope you and the family are doing well!!!

It always comes back to the cock in this place.

10 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Watched it with my wife and daughter.  That soundtrack was on heavy rotation on the console stereo in my parents' living room.  I sang every word, even though I haven't heard those songs in decades.  My wife had never heard the songs and the music kinda dominated early in the show.

I liked the production and felt John Legend was rather wooden.  Granted, there was little "acting", but he seemed capable of only one facial expression.

Sara Bareilles knocked it out of the park as Mary Magdelene and Brandon Victor Dixon was amazing as Judas.  Even Alice Cooper did a damned fine job as King Herod.

And Norm Louis as Caiaphas. The rich baritone/bass just pours over you like smooth aged whiskey or warm molasses.

On 4/3/2018 at 2:29 PM, dreadom said:

My babysitter when I was a bub got his big break as Judas in the Australian production and the went on to be one of the biggest Aussie Pop stars of the 70’s. RIP Jon

Yeah, I saw that production at The Palais ..knocked me out as an impressionable 14YO ..I don't think I could listen to anything by ALW anymore..(The kids were obsessed with Cats :) )

• Like 1

Would love to hear Sara Bareillis sing from the Evita soundtrack.

wow! talk about a blast from the past. my parents had the LP record when i was a kid/teen.

listened to it a lot - loved it!

• Like 1

It was a great show, regardless of the religious theme for those it bugged. 

On its own, it achieved the mother of all WTF’s just because a bunch of sailors are discussing a musical!  We won’t tell anyone about this. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Monkey said:

It was a great show, regardless of the religious theme for those it bugged. 

On its own, it achieved the mother of all WTF’s just because a bunch of sailors are discussing a musical!  We won’t tell anyone about this. 

I think the consensus from the atheist set is we weren't at all bugged by the religious theme.

I've seen a lot of Christians worked up into a lather about Superstar because it fails to address the resurrection, however. Not here, but elsewhere on the internet.

• Like 1

Complete atheist and confirmed hater of all musicals ( my wife and 6 yr old daughter made me watch watch some of Mamma Mia over dinner last week- I could not eat fast enough). 

But by all accounts I was a huge fan of the original JCS soundtrack and to my parents embarrassment would enter rooms and walk around as a two year old with arms held out crucifix style singing “Jesus Christ Superstar” at the top of my lungs. 

4 hours ago, dreadom said:

Just like this little tike. Geez I am glad to have grown up b.yt. 

One of many reasons to be happy we pre-date the internet, eh?

• Like 2

Speaking of singing along to Superstar.  I bought the album shortly after it was released.  We had a finished family room in the basement and I had my stereo down there.  I was sprawled on the couch with the headphones on and it was the climax in the Garden of Gethsemane.  So here I am with my head back, eyes closed, singing loudly and with the appropriate emotion, along with Ian Gillian;  "Alright, I'll die! Just watch me die! See how I die!".  Suddenly I feel someone touching me and I stop singing, open my eyes, and my mother is standing there looking at me rather anxiously, and she said; "Eddie, what's wrong, why are you screaming about dying?"  I looked at her rather sheepishly and pointed to the headphones and said; "Sorry mom, I was singing along and I guess I got a little carried away."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think the consensus from the atheist set is we weren't at all bugged by the religious theme.

I've seen a lot of Christians worked up into a lather about Superstar because it fails to address the resurrection, however. Not here, but elsewhere on the internet.

BITD it pissed off pretty much the entire Bible Belt. It was PROOF! that those Noo Yawk faggots were trying to corrupt the land 'n ruin the nation.

-DSK

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

BITD it pissed off pretty much the entire Bible Belt. It was PROOF! that those Noo Yawk faggots were trying to corrupt the land 'n ruin the nation.

-DSK

And trying to corrupt our precious bodily fluids!!

• Like 1