Sign in to follow this  
fsiljelof

Dropping the rudder - Seaquest Prima 38

I'm trying to drop the rudder and change the bearings on my Prima 38, however I can't unscrew the top aluminum nut as it is stuck, I'm thinking my last resort is to cut the nut in two halfs and break it loose, however I do not want to cut it if I can't replace it. Does anyone recognise a rudder with a top aluminumnut like this? It's fitted on a Prima 38, does anyone know how I can find a new nut? Any ideas on rudder manufacturers from the UK that might have been involved in the Prima 38 design or construction?

Any tips on unscrewing are welcome, but I've tried various sprays for lubrication, heat, large tongue-and-groove pliers and hammer/skrew driver  .... still no luck

IMG_1939.jpg

Drill two opposed holes - sort of like on the shaft head - and rig up a big deck key kind of tool.

Might work.

One recommendation when it's time to reinstall the rudder - grind a bit of a bevel or roundover on the top edge. It will make a huge difference when you are trying to engage the shaft in the top bearing.

If you're already thinking of cutting into the nut, why not cut two flats onto opposing sides, then you could get a big wrench on the thing.

Even if you can't get it off in one piece, you should be able to take some measurements and then take it to a machine shop to have a new nut turned for you.  I guess you'd have to do something to the new part for corrosion protection .