Sign in to follow this  
Feisty!

Deck marking

Can anyone suggest some sort of marker for tune/trim marks on deck/lines that will: 1) last longer than several weeks in sun and weather; and 2) be cleanly removable ?

A large part of the problem here is the UV levels at mile high altitudes.

I think this is one of those "choose one or the other" situations. I was just reading about a Farr 36 OD that was repainting their decks. they stripped the decks and shot blue gloss around the jib tracks. When they shot the white color on deck, they masked off the measurement marks in the blue gloss so when they pulled the masking tape they had perfect marks. but to make that cleanly removable, you've got to do some painting ;)

For considerably less money than a repainted deck, Sharpie makes an "Extreme" series of pen that is rain and UV-resistant. It's specifically made for outdoor use. You may have to test it because most sharpies are susceptible to sun screen, wd-40, or hand sanitizer to clean them up. 

3M vinyl stripe.  Clean removal is relative, little heat, little plastic razor blade action follow up with a wipe with a citrus adhesive remover.  If it's relatively fresh(couple weeks) a  lot of time it won't even leave the adhesive behind. 

Nobody else makes stripes that last as long as 3M.    Give the area you're going to stick it a good clean with some acetone first and install it on a warm day. 

Back in the 'olden days' of wire to rope sheets, etc., one would take a sailmaker's needle and some sailmaking thread, and work a set of markers into the appropriate line. In today's plug n play 'I want it now, or I'll just go back to my phone' generation, it lasts as long as the effort given into it.

As they say, the Sea is a harsh mistress.

8 hours ago, jgbrown said:

3M vinyl stripe.  Clean removal is relative, little heat, little plastic razor blade action follow up with a wipe with a citrus adhesive remover.  If it's relatively fresh(couple weeks) a  lot of time it won't even leave the adhesive behind. 

Nobody else makes stripes that last as long as 3M.    Give the area you're going to stick it a good clean with some acetone first and install it on a warm day. 

this -- though only really works on flat surface (probably not textured non-skid, for example).  I use pieces cut from a large offcut of stick-on outdoor signage vinyl.  Also handy to put a big piece down somewhere semi-permanently that you can write on with a texta on race day without worrying about your deck.

25 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Back in the 'olden days' of wire to rope sheets, etc., one would take a sailmaker's needle and some sailmaking thread, and work a set of markers into the appropriate line.

and this.. use coloured twine on light lines, or white twine on dark.  I got a lifetime supply of small (~0.8mm) dyneema fishing line for $10  that I use for the 'dark' 

I bought WM stickers for tuning marks and they were pretty much unreadable after a year.

I then made marks/numbers with a Brother P-Touch label maker with black ink and clear tape.  I figured I could easily replace it if it faded - turned out it never faded and lasted years until the boat was sold.  

Otherwise, the sharpie is the way to go.