Sign in to follow this  
2savage

Coming back from a serious disaster...

Recommended Posts

Thanks to excellent advice here with regards to boatyard negotiations, installing part of some toe rail, gel coat repair and possibly a few other topics, 'Savage', (who anyone who raced in YRALIS events in the '90's and early 2000's will know the boat well) is close to making an improbable comeback. 

Breaking off her mooring in a storm, there was serious damage to the port side, with holes in the deck, coaming, cabin roof and more.  The rigging took a beating and winches were turned into scrap.  Stern rail, stanchions, toe rail, lifelines and more were all pretty messed up.  But the hull, being a balsa core Kevlar hybrid, held up well, and there was really no reason NOT to rebuild.

So, many years and a fist full of dollars later, I'm close to a relaunch.  Goal is June first.  New halyards, batteries, electronics, fuel plus a thousand and one other details are in hand.    As I get closer to launch I'll post a few pics.

 

Alan

Oh, and Espo, as a pre-emptive strike of venom in your general direction,  before you start, just shut the fuck up.  Everyone here will appreciate that.  Oh,wait....thanks for the gel coat guy recommendation.  Now you can STFU :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2018 at 1:52 PM, 2savage said:

Thanks to excellent advice here with regards to boatyard negotiations, installing part of some toe rail, gel coat repair and possibly a few other topics, 'Savage', (who anyone who raced in YRALIS events in the '90's and early 2000's will know the boat well) is close to making an improbable comeback. 

Breaking off her mooring in a storm, there was serious damage to the port side, with holes in the deck, coaming, cabin roof and more.  The rigging took a beating and winches were turned into scrap.  Stern rail, stanchions, toe rail, lifelines and more were all pretty messed up.  But the hull, being a balsa core Kevlar hybrid, held up well, and there was really no reason NOT to rebuild.

So, many years and a fist full of dollars later, I'm close to a relaunch.  Goal is June first.  New halyards, batteries, electronics, fuel plus a thousand and one other details are in hand.    As I get closer to launch I'll post a few pics.

 

Alan

Oh, and Espo, as a pre-emptive strike of venom in your general direction,  before you start, just shut the fuck up.  Everyone here will appreciate that.  Oh,wait....thanks for the gel coat guy recommendation.  Now you can STFU :) 

No Worries Alan, I will STFU, but one last piece of and information, insure the boat this go around;)

Call Total Dollar insurance 516-833-1566 they special in marine boat insurance. 

Ask for Arthur Buhr

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur is a good friend and past crew member.  And btw a superb racer and tactician.  I credit Arthur with winning the Greenwich Cup (and some perpetual thing that comes along with it) when we did the Fall Series with my least successful boat 'Vicious'.  A front had gone through and the advice 'guys, lots of tacks today' did not take away from the savvy to not get hung out to dry coming into the windward mark on a header.  Thank you Arthur.

and thank you John, thanks for zipping it :)

 

Oh and John, at least I own a boat that is worth enough to insure  :)  Are you going to the club pub opening this w/e?  If I am feeling OK I might even buy you a beer.

 

Alan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, 2savage said:

Arthur is a good friend and past crew member.  And btw a superb racer and tactician.  I credit Arthur with winning the Greenwich Cup (and some perpetual thing that comes along with it) when we did the Fall Series with my least successful boat 'Vicious'.  A front had gone through and the advice 'guys, lots of tacks today' did not take away from the savvy to not get hung out to dry coming into the windward mark on a header.  Thank you Arthur.

and thank you John, thanks for zipping it :)

 

Oh and John, at least I own a boat that is worth enough to insure  :)  Are you going to the club pub opening this w/e?  If I am feeling OK I might even buy you a beer.

 

Alan

 

Well that's to be determined on whether it's worth enough.:P

Probably not going to the pub opening, nobody their I want to see.:D Except for you;)

You can buy me a beer another time if you feel ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, looking forward to seeing The Savage floating again!

Best of luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems things are going to plan.  The mast is sanded, repainted, has four new halyards and I decided to rewire everything too.  The spreaders were an issue (siezed machine screws in the end caps) so were sent off to Offshore Spars in Michigan for some TLC.   KVH are working on the mast 103AC Maxi display and my issues with the toe rail are solved and the installation with butyl tape and some woodworking clamps is doing the trick.

On track for May 31st launch date.   First major trip will be a cruise to Maine in August. 

Still little help from the yard.  At least Bob Fenton is very supportive and is offering good advice on gel coat projects. And the yard owner is now removing some of the road blocks such as 'no outside help'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 2:46 AM, 2savage said:

Seems things are going to plan.  The mast is sanded, repainted, has four new halyards and I decided to rewire everything too.  The spreaders were an issue (siezed machine screws in the end caps) so were sent off to Offshore Spars in Michigan for some TLC.   KVH are working on the mast 103AC Maxi display and my issues with the toe rail are solved and the installation with butyl tape and some woodworking clamps is doing the trick.

On track for May 31st launch date.   First major trip will be a cruise to Maine in August. 

Still little help from the yard.  At least Bob Fenton is very supportive and is offering good advice on gel coat projects. And the yard owner is now removing some of the road blocks such as 'no outside help'.  

Is that even legal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so it's a few days past the deadline, but looks like we launch next week once lifelines are in place and insurance requirements are satisfied (need a full survey, including rigging).  The bills continue to stack up but as I mentioned, it's not about the money, it's about past memories and future escapades.  This boat has won Key West Race Week, the Sappho Trophy, Manhasset Bay Series, American YC Series, Larchmont Race Week, City Island Cup, and too much more to remember.  It would have been a shame to let 'Savage'  die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan,

Great to hear you are close to finally getting back in the water.

--Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre thing is, they have no workers in my yard.  Not only do I have to do everything, they prevented a friend from helping with buffing the topsides saying he does not have insurance.  Finally, a person of importance at the yard suggested I get the yard next door to step the mast because the crane operator  in my yard sucks.  Well, I appreciate the sentiment but I've already paid to get my mast stepped and the guys next door wand $600 to do what I already paid for.

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a reduction in my yard fees if some work is moved to the yard next door?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but I reckon I know what the response will be !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take the advise from the person of importance. It's $600 BUCKS IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS. The last think you want is the rig broken or dropped.

Good to see you at the Moose Hall yesterday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best of luck...and congrats...

 

slight thread drift but WLIS sailors, but does anyone know what happened to the J109 Emoticon?  I heard she punched her keel through her hull ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 2savage said:

Get your stinkin' J109 comments off my thread!

brain fart....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jesposito said:

I would take the advise from the person of importance. It's $600 BUCKS IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS. The last think you want is the rig broken or dropped.

Good to see you at the Moose Hall yesterday 

Looks like I'm sorted.  Survey and rig inspection booked.  Barrons will be stepping the rig, not Jack, the new owner of Fenton Marine.  Should all happen later this week.  BTW the 'person of importance' is Bob Fenton.  Good guy and straight shooter.  Misses a lot of deadlines though.  I was supposed to get finished and launched in 2015!

John, did you realize it's been over ten years since you saw me?  Maybe that's why you didn't recognize me at first at the Moose Hall?  I've had a lot of stress during that time and grew old fast!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2savage said:

Looks like I'm sorted.  Survey and rig inspection booked.  Barrons will be stepping the rig, not Jack, the new owner of Fenton Marine.  Should all happen later this week.  BTW the 'person of importance' is Bob Fenton.  Good guy and straight shooter.  Misses a lot of deadlines though.  I was supposed to get finished and launched in 2015!

John, did you realize it's been over ten years since you saw me?  Maybe that's why you didn't recognize me at first at the Moose Hall?  I've had a lot of stress during that time and grew old fast!!

We have all grown old fast, I like it was the scruffy beard as to why I did not recognize you

It was good to see, you and looking forward to seeing the old girl back on the water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, pics.  And TooSavage, didn't you have some sort of Bob Evelyn product?   We need some damn pix and your phone may even have a camera.

And "jesposito," who are you and what have you done with Espo?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this