southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

Suggestions:

• Don't quote the troll.  You will be quickly dealt with by Jack and/or Mad.
  • Try to read what was written above thread before posting.  Not doing so is called a Schackel.
  • Direct all VOR related factual questions to Stief and all technical questions to Francis Vaughn.
  • Try to sync with Jack's posting cycle.  Earlier the better.  Especially avoid contact at the end of a 24 hour binge.  Also, avoid making lustful comments about Sophie.
  • Use the quote tool to highlight text rather than quoting the whole, sometimes large posts.  Some live in remote regions of the world with no running water or bandwidth.
  • Give the newbies a fair shake (unless they are complete douche bags).  We need more locals and boots on the ground.  
  • When posting drunk, give a heads up please.
  • Shit fights are inevitable.  The Ignore Button is your friend.
  • Start a new thread when a topic takes a life of it's own.  Some topics are frowned upon including " how wet the boats are" and Brian Handoncock. Oh, and Sophie.
  • Some members are off limits including: Stief, Norbowgirl, Potter, Elisa, Rennmaus, JBC, Shanghai Sailor, Forss for all their much appreciated contributions.  The rest can fend for themselves including myself 'who is gonna get shite for writing all this in the first place.
  • Like 16
  • Downvote 1

Leg Starts 22 April

Where are we going?

This one is 5,700 nautical miles north up the Atlantic from Itajaí in Brazil to Newport, Rhode Island in the USA. It starts on 22 April, so that will be autumn in the southern hemisphere, transiting to spring in the north. This one is the last big north-to-south leg, crossing back up through the Climate Zones rather than ticking off time zones. 

So one last time on the climate zone thing?

Remember, the earth’s oceanic climate features distinct bands, lying horizontally and looping the globe, running out from the Equator to the Poles in a mirror image. On this leg they will be passing through a pattern that we should all be able to recite by heart by now – and if that wasn’t enough, this particular leg is familiar stuff. Apart from the fact that we came this way in Leg 2, the Volvo Ocean Race has raced from Brazil to New England on several previous occasions.

So what are the hurdles?

St Helena High: The fleet will start by trying to edge their way around the St Helena High (a Subtropical High Pressure Zone, a stable, semi-static area of High Pressure lying between 30 and 38 degrees). They could be helped by small low pressure systems spinning down off the Andes, and this first section can be really unpredictable.

Trade Winds: In theory, the Trade Winds (moderate to strong winds that blow consistently towards the equator from the south-east in the southern hemisphere) should be established not too far north of Rio. So once they get around the corner and head for the eastern tip of Brazil at Recife they should transition into weak, east or south-easterly Trade Wind conditions and some more consistent sailing. Whoever gets there first could build a lead. 

Brazil Current: It’s important not to forget the south-running Brazil Current, which runs all the way down the coast from Recife to Buenos Aires – the navigators will be watching the current charts to find the swirls and back eddies that can help.

On the Beach: The corner of Brazil at Recife presents a strategic problem. Two things have to be balanced – the further offshore they sail, the stronger and steadier the breeze ought to be, but the more miles they have to travel. There’s an old rule of thumb for this one – stay within 10 miles of the coast, or stand further off than 100 miles. 

Lawrie Smith took the ‘within 10 miles’ bit very seriously in 1997-98, slipped around the corner within smelling distance of the beach and powered into a comfortable lead. Bouwe Bekking did the same thing in 2005-06 – watch out for someone to make a move here.

Doldrums: And one last time the fleet will have to traverse the Doldrums (a region of low pressure that envelopes the earth’s oceans roughly at the equator, famous for thunderstorms, light winds, rain and sudden unexpected gusts). This particular crossing should be more straightforward than the previous three, as the fleet will already be lined up to cross at what is usually the narrowest point in the Atlantic. 

Trade Winds: As always, the first boat clear of the Doldrums should reap the usual reward of some fast sailing in the Trade Winds (blowing towards the equator from the north-east in the northern hemisphere), as they head past the Caribbean. 

Azores High: The mirror image of the St Helena High will likely feature again as it determines the strength and position of the Trade Winds. The strategy will be to ride the trades north and then skirt the western edge of the High - but it can move a long way west and is known in the USA as the Bermuda High. If the centre is closer to the latter than the former, then dodging light air may become an issue.

And into the Westerly Storm Track: Once the fleet clear the Azores High, they will be heading north-west towards the Westerly Storm Track and into the path of low pressure systems spinning off the North American continent and heading for Europe. The behaviour of these systems will be critical in the approach to Newport. And given that we’re still not far from the spring equinox – traditionally an unstable time of year – there’s every chance of the fleet meeting some energetic weather.

Gulf Stream: We’re going to hear a lot more about this on the next leg, but it will impact the finish of this one too. The Gulf Stream, a strong current of warm water runs north-east all the way up the eastern seaboard of the US, before turning right and heading east across the Atlantic to warm the shores of Northern Europe. Crossing this swirl of north-east flowing warm water and eddies while dealing with the low pressure systems will challenge everyone. Going upwind in the Gulf Stream can be brutal and is to be avoided if possible.

Any good stories?

This leg has been pivotal in the overall win on several occasions. It was on the way from Itajaí to Miami that Groupama 4 passed Telefónica and blew the overall race wide open.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-8.html

• Like 1

GOVERNOR RAIMONDO ANNOUNCES TOLLS ON NEWPORT’S OCEAN DRIVE AND BELLEVUE AVENUE

Ocean-Drive-Newport-RI-e1504196920177.jp

After losing a bruising battle to put tolls on the Sakkonet River Bridge and failing to get the luxury tax passed on million dollar homes comes this shocking news out of the Rhode Island State House. Governor Gina Raimondo has announced her intentions to toll Newport’s Historic Ocean Drive and the southern portion of Bellevue Avenue starting at Ruggles Avenue. Word is that the state has contracted Kapsch TrafficCom to design, build, operate, and maintain the electronic tolling system. Work is expected to start immediately and tolls are expected to be in place mere days before the the opening of the Volvo Ocean Race Newport race village at Fort Adams.

http://www.thenewportbuzz.com/governor-raimondo-announces-tolls-on-newports-ocean-drive-and-bellevue-avenue/14952

15 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Jack who?

If you have to ask ...

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

If you have to ask ...

He of the "...be nimble..." fame? No candlestick? Different Jack?

Does he live in a box and occasionally jump out and scare the bejesus out people?

I may have encountered him on occasion...

• Downvote 1

Just now, familysailor said:

Does he live in a box and occasionally jump out and scare the bejesus out people?

Something like that.  But he spins a good yarn too.

• Like 1

Just now, southerncross said:

Something like that.  But he spins a good yarn too.

Maybe he can knit me a kilt.

Where do I send a sample of my Clan's hunting Tartan?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Somehow I think you may be summoning him all on your own.

Somehow I think you may be summoning him all on your own,

No---!

Just having a little fun before the onslaught begins.

I really could use a kilt though with summer coming on.

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Maybe he can knit me a kilt.

Done...your mates at flower arranging class will be envious.

1522806033792-1559782163.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Done...your mates at flower arranging class will be envious.

1522806033792-1559782163.jpg

Wrong Tartan. You need to pre-shrink the wool before you start weaving.

Looks like he put the sporran on first...

More. like this:image.png.1609fa774756385102e7ff5227889575.png

• Downvote 1

Just now, Loose Cannon said:

Meehoff 

Oh now! That's just rude.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, familysailor said:

Oh now! That's just rude.

Perhaps in Dutch then Meihoff

What kind of repairs are the various teams going to need before the star of this leg?

Besides the obvious mast repairs/replacement and the leak on Azko...

What kind of repairs are the various teams going to need before the star of this leg?

Besides the obvious mast repairs/replacement and the leak on Azko...

Not to mention the crew.  Some of them look like they've gone 10 rounds.

m115949_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

• Like 2

Yes... Any of the injuries bad enough to beach some of the sailors?

Yes... Any of the injuries bad enough to beach some of the sailors?

Maybe.  A couple more back injuries including an OBR.

Any way you look at it, the Boatyard has it's work cut out for them.

Do you guys think Vestas will be back for this leg?

@SC Hmmm. Nice job of getting the accent on Itajaí right. Well played gotcha on the names, who can all look out for themselves.

Anyway, full disclosure. The facts found in this forum come from experts, or other intelligent posters who know where to look and show the way. Not me.

We're all sailors and know the worth of a protest committee that decides the outcome before the facts are found. 

Now to plot a way to paint a similar target on you, once I stop cursing or laughing. Sophie! haha.

11 minutes ago, stief said:

Anyway, full disclosure. The facts found in this forum come from experts, or other intelligent posters who know where to look and show the way. Not me.

Humble to the end.  But your recall is amazing.  Reminds me of the older IBM super computers when after typing in a request, the tapes would whirl and spin and a perforated card was spat out with the answer.

20 minutes ago, Woods Rider said:

Do you guys think Vestas will be back for this leg?

A new mast is waiting in Itajai apparently.  Maybe a new engine as well.  But how to get the boat there?  I wonder how much a tow would be?

Don’t the know SeaTow would tow me that far...lol!

Would it even be safe (for the Vestas11 boat) to tow a V65 that far over those seas? With what? Seems like a pretty dicey proposition to me. 

By "towing point" you mean, a point on the towee boat  (V11)? Using a tug? Fixed or flexible "rope?

^^ Yep tow point on Vestas. Very much doubt that option happening as unlikely a suitable boat is available at Pt Stanley.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

A tow is quite feasible, they just need to sort out a proper towing point. 

The usual advice when attaching a tow to a yacht is to wrap it around the ......  Oh I see what you mean ;)

• Like 8

If they were able to leave right now and travel at 6 knots then they are more than 11 days away.

Assuming all works in their favour ( eg no engine breakdown etc etc) they could arrive in Itajai with a just a week to spare before the next leg start. That window is closing slowly but surely.

Sure the mast could/would be ready to go together with the rigging and all the other little bits. They have sails new or old.

But again, the window is closing fast.

31 minutes ago, littlechay said:

The usual advice when attaching a tow to a yacht is to wrap it around the ......  Oh I see what you mean ;)

Not sure I’d want to try that on a deck stepped mast, not an issue this time round. 

• Like 1

This just in via Scallywag FB page:

Scallywags never give up!

When you’re feeling the pain
And you’re sick of the game
But you’re young and you’re brave and you’re bright
You pick yourself up and dust yourself down
Cos it’s the carrying on that’s hard.

Scallwags will continue!!

Our delivery crew have arrived and we are now in a race against the clock to make the start in Brazil for the next leg. We are all hurt but we are not out!!

Scallywags never ever give up!!

We will make the start we will look after each other we will finish the race and do the best job we can for all Scallywags in John’s memory and honor.

On behalf of all the team I would like to thank all our supporters for all the messages of support it has helped us enormously in this difficult time.

Witty

• Like 6

13 hours ago, southerncross said:

Looks like he's made it to the 4th round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

29 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

This just in via Scallywag FB page:

Really glad to hear they plan to carry on and finish the race. 

15 hours ago, familysailor said:

Is there a super secret handshake involved?

Jack who?

of all trades.

Anyway, can I hand in a permanent "posting while drinking" card?
Saves a lot of keystrokes :)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

You can be our official Drunken Poster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

Cheers. or skål, perhaps.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, southerncross said:

You can be our official Drunken Poster.

I would be honored.
And it is a title that did not come without substantial costs and effort 

• Like 2

Just now, ModernViking said:

I would be honored.
And it is a title that did not come without substantial costs and effort 

Are you able (willing) to post a pic of where you are at in the North?  

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Are you able (willing) to post a pic of where you are at in the North?  

Of course
5ac50da312ff2_icebear.thumb.jpg.140b1099d94d156ff5e3f1610f72b7d3.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, glexpress said:

Looks like he's made it to the 4th round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Whilst Vestas 11th Hr are in the 2nd Round of The Port Stanley wave offs! 

18 minutes ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Whilst Vestas 11th Hr are in the 2nd Round of The Port Stanley wave offs! 

• Like 2

Hilarious Renn. Good find and fitting.

• Like 1

Of course
5ac50da312ff2_icebear.thumb.jpg.140b1099d94d156ff5e3f1610f72b7d3.jpg

"What's for lunch?"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

"What's for lunch?"

something random.

• Like 5

Maybe we need a separate thread for Scallywag and VS 11 updates. Not sure where to post tidbits anymore. FWIW, Scallywag's AIS is working and they can be found on MarineTraffic, moored in Puerto Montt, right beside a very capable-looking S/V Anne Margaretha:

showphoto.aspx?photoid=2761114

• Like 1

Just joking, but it is a great pic ! 

Wouldn't be the first time you grossly overstated your stature/qualifications, Brian Hancock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Not sure where to post tidbits anymore.

I would keep everything related to Scally and Vestas delivery in Leg 7.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stief said:

something random.

Naah Polar Bears have better taste than that

43 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I would keep everything related to Scally and Vestas delivery in Leg 7.

OK, will do. Seemed logical to put Witty's statement in this thread, since it was all about them rejoining the race in Brazil and heading to Newport and beyond. But delivery stuff, yes, Leg 7.

14 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Witty's statement

Jack posted your Witty poster there already.

• Like 1

^ Yup, saw that this morning, gave him a likey.

Itajaí calendar now up on Noticeboard. Crew lists for leg 8 deadline Fri 20th April

Fri 20th April: Skippers & Navigators Briefing, Skippers Press Conference, In-Port Race and Awards Night:

09:15h: Skippers & Navigators Briefing – Race Office Meeting Room 10:00h: Skippers Press Conference – Venue TBA
11:40h: Sailors gather at Sailors Terrace
11:50h: Sailors Parade

12:00h to 12:30h: Dock Out
13:55h: Warning Signal – In-Port Race
After Racing: Prize giving – Top three crews are required to attend

19:00h: Awards Night – Warung Beach Club

14:00h Crew & Guest Lists need to be entered on the Crew & Guest List smartsheet for Leg 8 (SI 6.1)

• Like 1

ONE OCEAN EXPLORATION ZONE TO DAZZLE ALL AGES AT VOLVO OCEAN RACE NEWPORT STOPOVER

http://www.thenewportbuzz.com/one-ocean-exploration-zone-to-dazzle-all-ages-at-volvo-ocean-race-newport-stopover/14982

Good. snipped for clues that VS11 will be there. 

The One Ocean Exploration Zone is sponsored by 11th Hour Racing, a leading sustainability group based in Newport. 11th Hour Racing is also co-sponsor of race entrant Vestas 11th Hour Racing, skippered by Charlie Enright of Bristol, R.I. 11th Hour Racing decided to sponsor the exhibition because of its great success during the previous Newport stopover.

“The Newport Stopover is the only race village to have an area of this scale specifically highlighting the work of local organizations on improving ocean health,” said Alessandra Ghezzi, Director of Communications for 11th Hour Racing. “The inclusion of such an extensive and engaging educational space will increase the likelihood that visitors will leave the event with increased understanding of ocean issues and ways to change personal behaviors to leave a positive legacy.”

15 minutes ago, stief said:

Good. snipped for clues that VS11 will be there. 

They better get their arses there. It's their home port.

• Like 1

They better get their arses there. It's their home port.

So right.

Also, it's a curious case where foundation money from another internet company, Google, somehow ends up helping sailing. Netscape and Oracle are the others who come to mind; Microsoft's focus is elsewhere.

Ooh. How I wish I was in Itajaí - eating açaí, pastel, moqueca, drinking ice cold Antarctica beer (I avoided food poisoning during training camps there by drinking some every day, I’m convinced) and look at the boats of course! 

Instead I’m so busy at my new job I can’t even check in here during the day. Antigua race week not happening for me this year. I feel very sorry for myself. Hopefully the local season will kick off in a month, I neeeeeed it. 

On topic: it will be interesting to see how many boats we’ll see on the starting line now. Out of the 3 limping teams, Mapfre is the only team I’d put my money on. But they get much less rest than the teams who have arrived. Vestas and Scallywag? Who knows. I wouldn’t risk any money on any of them right now, but hope they both make it. 

But I don’t believe it any more than I believe the local weather forecast, right now...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

Instead I’m so busy at my new job I can’t even check in here during the day. Antigua race week not happening for me this year. I feel very sorry for myself.

I think you need to get your priorities in order.

19 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I think you need to get your priorities in order.

That’s funny :) it’s my number one job to prioritize other people’s tasks...! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

A case of not practicing what you preach?

4 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Scary. I have one of those telling me to get off the keyboard right now. 

(aside: will miss your posts; best wishes for the new job)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A case of not practicing what you preach?

Not really. A clue: “I want to get this team working according to the framework, so that I can be away more” ;) 

On 4/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, southerncross said:

Suggestions:

• Don't quote the troll.  You will be quickly dealt with by Jack and/or Mad.

Can you be specific and name names (one time only) so the newbies know the serial offenders and don't quote them....  Many broke the rules last leg and dealing with the likes of R____m's dribble is just a punish. (On the scale of DL on foiling).

Thanks in advance

PS. I had dibs on Spohie before Jack........ for the record.

18 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Can you be specific and name names (one time only) so the newbies know the serial offenders and don't quote them....  Many broke the rules last leg and dealing with the likes of R____m's dribble is just a punish. (On the scale of DL on foiling).

Thanks in advance

PS. I had dibs on Spohie before Jack........ for the record.

It's like Beatlejuice.  I dared not same the name.

Sophie?  I leave that toy and Jack.

• Like 1

Veteran and Active Service Members will race with pro sailors at the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover

Sail Newport and MetLife announced today that The MetLife Veterans Regatta will take place on May 14-15 in Newport during the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover.

The event marks the second collaboration between Sail Newport and MetLife to bring a recreational sailing experience to veterans and active duty service members who are wounded, ill and injured. Veterans and active duty service members will be teamed with professional sailors at the Volvo Ocean Race during the only North American stopover on the global race. Sail Newport will use its fleet of J22 sailboats at the public sailing center in Fort Adams State Park for training and the race day.

http://whatsupnewp.com/veteran-and-active-service-members-will-race-with-pro-sailors-at-the-volvo-ocean-race-newport-stopover/

• Like 1

This 2017/18 Edition is showing some very eerie parallels with the 2011/12 Edition at commencement of the Sth America to Nth America leg.

- Telefonica still looked to be the boat to beat being top of the table, albeit not arriving into Itajai in first place.

- Leg 5 in 2012 or the Southern Ocean leg had Sanya retire with a broken rudder and return to Auckland where it was shipped to Miami.

- Camper had to divert to Puerto Montt for repair.

- Abu Dhabi had to return to Auckland for repair just after the start, continue but then divert to Puerto Montt for shipping to Itajai.

- Telefonica had a pit stop at Cape Horn.

- After rounding the Horn Groupama was dismasted but built a jury rig to finish.

Look familiar?

So let’s have a look at comparative history using Itajai as the forecasting benchmark:

AUCKLAND to ITAJAI LEG PLACINGS

2018                                       2012      

BRU                                         Puma                               

DFRT                                      Telefonica            

AKZO                                     Groupama

TTOP                                     Camper

MAPF                                    Abu Dhabi (Ret)

SHKS (Ret)                          Team Sanya (Ret)                                                           

VS11 (Ret)                                                                          

POINTS LEAVING ITAJAI (comparative points irrelevant as scoring is different between the two editions).

2018                                                       2012      

DFRT – 46                                           Telefonica - 164                 

MAPF - 45                                           Groupama - 153

BRU - 36                                              Camper - 149

AKZO - 33                                            Puma - 147

SHKS – 26                                           Abu Dhabi - 68                  

VS11 – 23                                            Team Sanya – 25                             

TTOP - 20                                            

Now the final placings in the 2011/12 Edition.

2011/12 FINAL PLACINGS

Groupama -        253 pts

Camper -             231 pts

Puma -                 226 pts

Telefonica -        213 pts

Abu Dhabi -        131 pts

Sanya -                 51 pts

Therefore using the 2011/12  Itajai podium placings, arriving and leaving Itajai, final results for the 2017/18 edition could be as follows:

Team that finished first into Itajai (Puma) came third i.e. BRU

Team that left Itajai in first position (Telefonica) came fourth i.e. DFRT

Team that finished second into Itajai (Telefonica) came fourth i.e. DFRT

Team that left Itajai in second  position (Groupama) won i.e. MAPF

Team that finished third into Itajai (Groupama) won i.e. AKZO

Team that left Itajai in third  position (Camper) came second i.e. BRU

The best retirees into Itajai can expect is last and second last i.e. SHKS and VS11

CONCLUSION

MAPF and AKZO have an equal chance of securing the top prize. To succeed DFRT have to exorcise the "Telefonica Podium Fail Factor" to avoid 4th.

BRU are well placed to end up on the podium.

Now for those that have little regard for this forecasting approach, remember humanity's all-too-frequent failure at actually learning from history or the past mistakes of history as captured by these two now departed gentleman.

"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity.
Stephen Hawking 

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." 
Winston Churchill

learning_from_history.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So let’s have a look at comparative history using Itajai as the forecasting benchmark

Really good post. Despite all the lazy ways there are to nit pick a point or two, seeing how leg 8 2018 compares to any other edition has to make for a better thread. You decided the focus first on 2012-2018. Sounds fair.

Thanks. How many hours did that take? I'm guessing at least  3 just to organize and dig up the numbers.

So, you provided the framework. If you want to take it further, where can I help? Off the top of my head, looking for info we can use to contrast how Leg 8 will play out, I can think of checking for:

-whether the IJ and the Room were key (yes, IIRC). Have to see if the Jury reports are still available.

-the in-port race where Telefonica was leading and sailed around the wrong mark (Capey?). That was a major setback. Way more expensive than hooking a starting mark this time. The in-port race vid should still be available.

-Up the racetrack, Puma lead into Miami ( played the coast gulf currents with their special instrument?), redeeming their mast break from Leg 1. Puma published the best vids and interviews. Shouldn't be too much work to find.

-Doldrums crossing and Backdowns in getting through the sargasso (Conrad in BWR: "motivated velcro"  handicap). There were a number of good interviews . . . .

Other? 

Your post, your call.

Steif, heard about the bad accident in your neck of the woods.  Anyone you know?

Nearby for me as well (S'toon). 'Stunned' and 'disbelief' are perhaps the best words so far, other emotions surely to follow. I was involved with feeding some athletes from nearby during their Winter Games this past week. Possibly saw one or two of them just the other day.

• Like 1

Hilarious OP.....but the rest of the thread is a bit of a snooze fest so far.  Reminds me of arriving too early at a ball game and the old men sitting in the stands with blankets on their laps and woolly hats drinking weak tea out of a thermos and talking about the glory of games long past.

I'll be back when things start to hot up. Meanwhile back to Leg 7 thread :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Hilarious OP

I took the OP seriously. And you are right -- I'm old!

56 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Steif, heard about the bad accident in your neck of the woods.  Anyone you know?

Not this time, thanks, but never good. School bus accidents are especially tough news. cheers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Hilarious OP.....but the rest of the thread is a bit of a snooze fest so far.  Reminds me of arriving too early at a ball game and the old men sitting in the stands with blankets on their laps and woolly hats drinking weak tea out of a thermos and talking about the glory of games long past.

I'll be back when things start to hot up. Meanwhile back to Leg 7 thread :)

Well put. We like to entertain ourselves finding ways to  preempt the vamps who only show to feed on shit-fests. 

50 minutes ago, thengling said:

Nearby for me as well (S'toon).

Wondered about Lake Agassiz--covered a lot of area ;) LDYC? 

So sorry to hear of your guests. Pain never really ends.

I visit LDYC, Blackstrap and Redberry on occasion but not a member (yet)... old 5 oh in my back yard, hope to get it wet this year!

• Like 1

On 08/04/2018 at 1:05 AM, stief said:

Other? 

Your post, your call.

Bit early now probably stief. Might look at closer to start or as it unfolds though not sure my memory is good enough, yours certainly clearly is.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 12:06 PM, southerncross said:

Yep unnecessarily dangerous boats, people even die sometimes.

Hope they clip on in this leg.

• Downvote 1

Anyway, how they hanging?  Have I missed anything?

giphy.gif

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bit early now probably stief. Might look at closer to start or as it unfolds though not sure my memory is good enough, yours certainly clearly is.

Probably due to enforced genital hibernation in winter up there.

Clears the mind for other things.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Probably due to enforced genital hibernation in winter up there.

Clears the mind for other things.

How wrong you are Papa if you mean me..just below the equator is where these balls and gangly bits hang... however if you directed at stief...well the poor fucker lives in a icebox..but he does get out and do some good Equatorial travelling.

2 hours ago, random said:

Anyway, how they hanging?  Have I missed anything?

Cliffy well sort of..like you missed getting getting a brain bolted on ..but that aside your VO65 wave re-entry technique is fuckin masterclass...there is no limit to how much we all can learn from you Big Mouth.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1