southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

Latest blog from skipper Bouwe Bekking onboard Team Brunel:

A very important day for us Dutchies, it is Kingsday.  Back home it is a huge celebration and one big party through the entire country.  Days like this are bonding our nation, all dressed in orange, our national colour.

And of course standing in the limelight is our fantastic royal family. Yes, I am proud to be a Dutchman. So we celebrate a bit here onboard as well together with Carlo and even Alby wants to be part of it, digging out an orange shirt he had in his bag. And of course we celebrated our King, with big three cheers for him.
I know I may be a bit biased with my support for the royal family. After having raced for many years with King Juan Carlos and Crownprince Fredrik, I know how important people like them are for our sport. Also our own royal family they love sailing, who doesn't know Sail Amsterdam, where they are always present with their own Dutch classic yacht.

So happy Kingsday to everybody back home!

Cheers,
Bouwe

m117036_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

Team Brunel by Sam Greenfield — published Friday 27th Apr 2018 @ 15:08 UTC

Leg 8 from Itajai to Newport, day 05 on board Brunel. 26 April, 2018.

• Like 2

Latest from OBR Jérémie Lecaudey onboard Dongfeng Race Team:

Sounds off, senses on.

Do you remember the sound of the rain when sitting in your car? Protected, somehow it changes the atmosphere for a while, it feels quieter, as if a constant sound relaxed us all, then it becomes another mood, we got used to it.  

The tent is also a good example as we can quickly wonder if our home is going to surrender or if it will make it for another night.

On a fully made carbon boat, you can hear pretty much anything that falls on deck. Waves is the most obvious one, constantly hitting the bottom of the Volvo 65, they give the rhythm to our requiem.

Then comes the ropes, the grinders, the steps, sails unfurling, the fans blowing our only source of fresh air… and the Dongfeng race team working hard on sailing fast. 

One sound you would remember of all sounds is the voice through the intercom. A loud, saturated, half metallic, half screamed voice, giving instructions to the crew on deck. 

We are yet under another cloud, it’s night time, the boat starts healing, the rain starts pounding on deck as if a waterfall was above us. Through that ambient panic you can hear Pascal, our navigator, yelling on that thing as if the priest wanted to wake the entire church to be heard.

“Stay fast, keep going high mode, matching Mapfre’s speed, slower than Vestas, cargo coming up on starboard, guys we have to go higher, higher and faster!”

Eventually you get used to all sounds. But out of this chaos, rest assure that when something out of the ordinary is clicking, tapping, bouncing, within a minute you will have a sailor wondering where this unusual noise comes from. 

Yesterday it was the fans, today a water lick, and tomorrow might be something you smell.

Probably some (or most?) will disagree, but I have to say, there is a limit to how much Martine Grael one can handle in one day :rolleyes:.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Probably some (or most?) will disagree, but I have to say, there is a limit to how much Martine Grael one can handle in one day :rolleyes:.

Esp when she's treated like a piece of steak.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Night of clouds, showers and maneuvers aboard MAPFRE

04/27/2018 |

© María Muiña I MAPFRE

Again the big clouds and showers have been the main obstacle of the fleet of the Volvo Ocean Race during the last 24 hours. With the first four boats in only three miles and navigating at the doors of the Trade Winds, the positions continue to change in each part and MAPFRE has not stopped alternating the second, third and fourth positions with Dongfeng and Turn The Tide on Plastic.

For the time being, maintaining maximum concentration and trying to get the best possible performance from the boat in each rain shower is the main objective of Xabi Fernández's, and that is how the boss explains "with a situation like yesterday's the one that you have to pass a line of clouds so big, there comes a time when you can do little. You have to navigate your wind, your clouds, your roles and do the best you can, and many times the position where you are dictates where you're going to end. "

Instability continues on the sixth stage between Itajaí (Brazil) and Newport (United States). During this last morning, MAPFRE has had to deal again with big clouds, squalls and encalmadas, which has resulted in an intense night of maneuvers and changes of sails on board the Spanish ship. Those of Xabi Fernandez already count the hours to finally reach more stable conditions that allow them to continue advancing at a good pace towards the equator.

" We had a difficult night today, with a lot of cloud and a lot of rain. It has been much more than we expected and we have been like four or five hours to pass a line from South to North ", explained the skipper Xabi Fernandez this morning and what Rob Greenhalgh added: " We are in an area with a lot of cloud activity. and showers, a lot of hot air and a lot of energy building up, so these clouds are everywhere. "

Thus, on board MAPFRE the team has tried to adapt to completely unforeseeable conditions in which the changes of direction and intensity of the wind have not stopped happening throughout the night, keeping the crew on constant alert to perform all the maneuvers and candle changes necessary to try to move forward and lose as few miles as possible.

According to the part of the 15:00 Spanish time, those of Xabi Fernández are fifth in the provisional general. Ahead, Turn The Tide on Plastic has been the team that has best rid the area of clouds placing in first position with an advantage of 11 miles on the Vestas, which runs second. Dongfeng Race Team, meanwhile, continues third.

During the next few hours it is still expected that conditions continue to be unstable, although as Greenhalgh says: " Hopefully we will have passed the worst and tonight we should start to have a little more wind, start loosening the sails a bit. There is no doubt that there will still be many clouds, but the forecast for the next few hours is that little by little the wind will rise and we will have faster angles. "

http://desafiomapfre.com/checking-the-ais-binoculars-hand-bearing-compass-that-is-how-we-expend-the-watches-2-2-2/

Thanks for posting, but how old is this piece? More than 24hrs I'm guessing.

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

VOR RC announced that trackers will be live thru the end of this edition of the race.

Excellent news, almost too good to be true (after at least two and a half editions long of nagging by us).

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Excellent news, almost too good to be true (after at least two and a half editions long of nagging by us).

I’m glad VOR is reading here and giving us this long outstanding wish. This saves a twitter campaign by SA ;-)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Miffy said:

VOR RC announced that trackers will be live thru the end of this edition of the race.

Oh yes!! :D

• Like 2

Live Tracker was the missing component to the regular tracker with all its rich features and the Virtual Eye and all the Raw content. Unequalled for any offshore event.  VG will benefit greatly if that deal is to take place.  

Some Windy overlays would be nice and maybe twitter posts embedded on the tracks so we know when and where they took place.

I anticipate more Live drone footage and interviews as things ramp up.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

You are all masochists.

Haha, I'm on sick leave ATM and bored beyond belief. The live tracker comes at the right time :wub:

• Like 3

Has MAPFRE got a problem I wonder, apart from finding a hole? Pretty ordinary average speed over the last 24 hours.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 6.01.22 AM.png

MAPF had some bad luck with clouds last night, and then giving up a wee bit heading a bit more to weather this morning. Meanwhile VS11 has made a 1.1 nautical mile gain in the past six hours for better then a tenth a knot an hour, DFRT has been holding with no gain over six hours, TBRU and AKZO have fallen back a few nautical miles over the same period and SHKS has fallen back 15+ nautical miles, but is converging with the fleet's track.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Has MAPFRE got a problem I wonder, apart from finding a hope?

Don’t knock it Sail.  Finding holes isn’t as easy as it appears.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paps49 said:

You do realise if they are listening and use longer periods of live we are all fucked.

We are now, I‘m afraid. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

^^ Thank you Rennie, given the orange, red-white-blue color scheme, I’m happy the guys and girls on the Paintwagon have decided not to dress up :). :lol:

• Like 2

Good thing they started when they did.  There's almost a thousand miles of 3-7 knot winds behind them.

18 knots BS across the fleet but more clouds coming.  TTOP sure seems to be reacting well to all the changes while maybe MF short crewed just doesn't have the hands to get it all done.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Haha, I'm on sick leave ATM and bored beyond belief. The live tracker comes at the right time :wub:

Haha - best entertainment ever. I’ll be on sick leave a couple of days after may 7th, hopefully I’ll be able to spend all my time watching this. Key word is “watching”,  cause one of my eyes isn’t working and needs analysis. 

And yes, I have real friends  to help me. But you’re my SA friends. 

• Like 2

Mapfre have had a pretty crappy day still falling off the back. Maybe the onset of darkness now will bring some joy? Other than that they will have to wait until Recife for some compression.

• Like 1

I have been in Salvador, Brazil this week for work. Had lunch at the beach and waved to the boats as they sailed past, about 175 miles away. Cool to be in the neighborhood. Go Turn the Tide!

6 hours ago, Elisa said:

Probably some (or most?) will disagree, but I have to say, there is a limit to how much Martine Grael one can handle in one day :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Miffy said:

Esp when she's treated like a piece of steak.

It was pretty weird...maybe produced for local consumption befitting her local celeb status or supporting a offshore tourism promo?? That said probably just some numbnuts in Alkzo Paints Marketing Department idea of leveraging their sponsorship bucks.

Renny and SX's bad for not censoring what they post not once but twice :-)

The current positions #1 and #2 make me think of the Table where Vestas is still ahead of TTOP solely because there is no penalty for not finishing a Leg, let alone two. Pretty ordinary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Haha - best entertainment ever. I’ll be on sick leave a couple of days after may 7th, hopefully I’ll be able to spend all my time watching this. Key word is “watching”,  cause one of my eyes isn’t working and needs analysis. 

And yes, I have real friends  to help me. But you’re my SA friends. 

Use it as an excuse to buy another pair of sunglasses, I did:lol: 

• Like 1

Looks like TToP are giving up some of their lead to get East again. Constantly 5 degree higher than Vestas at only a small cost in speed. They've had a sound investment strategy to date on this leg.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Snow and rain is forecast for at least the next several days here, so what I had planned to do outdoors is out.  Live Tracker will fill in in between the indoor chores quite well. Thank you, VOR!

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how close they get to Recife, weather models predict it to be very light inshore. A fine balancing act between staying in sufficient pressure, but not sailing too many miles. Navigator's heaven.

39 minutes ago, boomer said:

MAPFRE last night.

Quote: "What they mean when they say '... here comes a sudden squall' ."

1 hour ago, thengling said:

That... being a sudden or violent gust of wind, usually local, sometimes with rain...unless someone smuggled a baby aboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It will be interesting to see how close they get to Recife, ..

The backmarkers are looking forward to this so they can start playing DodgeAroundems.

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is everyone on deck except Vila. Not a lot of rest happening.

... and to smack this pony one more time....

Not a PFD among them, let alone a tether....  a few in their "PJ"s with no reflective tape.  If the squall had turned nasty and one of the PJ clad crew went OB....

So Boys and Girls, I don't care how loud the call for all hands is,  at night arrive on deck promptly in your PFD.  If you can't put it on quick, then sleep in it!  Those on deck should just have it on anyway from dusk till dawn.

This is normal practise on many boats, but these boats mostly don't have OBRs and 24hr video loops.  It's a shame that such a great event is normalizing unsafe habits!

[ queue macho responses about: how soft I am; how tough guys don't need to do this; its an individuals choice; these guys aren't really role models;  it's completely normal to plan on swimming to Brasil because the water is so warm! ; blah blah blah blah] 

• Like 6
  • Downvote 2

Scally finding Jesus and been headed east for some time now.  When the fleet cuts the corner at Recife, Scally will be offshore rolling in the trades.

43 minutes ago, gregwilkins said:

a few in their "PJ"s with no reflective tape.

Does the drawstring on their PJ's count as a tether?  

Dee is showing very consistent boat speed on the fleet.  She's really got the bit between her teeth and going for it.  Playing the clouds well.

SHKS trying to lift east, which Witty stated was a tactical mistake not to do earlier when the rest of the fleet went wide and they tacked north, and are now ~80nm in arrears.  However, once they turn the corner at Recife, the light winds are wide (if Windyty holds true).  It's looking like double trouble but they need to roll the dice again.  

5 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It will be interesting to see how close they get to Recife, weather models predict it to be very light inshore. A fine balancing act between staying in sufficient pressure, but not sailing too many miles. Navigator's heaven.

Hopefully long enough away from all the sharks and criminals in Recife.

So we have a live tracker from here to the finish. There goes my comfortable life, planned around 6 hour updates ;).

Seems Vestas is steadily chipping away at TToP’s lead. Hope team Dee can find a bit more speed soon.

Brunel seems to be giving AKZO the slip, or will they have to pay back later to get back to the right again?

Mapfre is well off the bus this time. Have they been this far behind Dongfeng, at any point in the race (other than when having a breakage). They must be hoping hard for a restart, as do Scallywag. With the Barzilian coast, the doldrums and the gulfstream to negotiote there should be planty of oppartunity for that.

2 hours ago, gregwilkins said:

and to smack this pony one more time....

Called on from off watch, in cockpit hanging onto a pedestle, no seaway and going uphill <10k and water >26 degrees...no tether... that is a hanging offence.

Fuck give me a break.

• Like 4

As a break during endless tracker viewing? 

• Like 1

Hey Jacky,

"Called on from off watch, in cockpit hanging onto a pedestle, no seaway and going uphill <10k and water >26 degrees...no tether... that is a hanging offence.

Fuck give me a break."

Then with that practice, they come off watch with no safety gear on and get smacked over the side.

Nothing to see here.

• Downvote 2

Buggered if I know why Witty is suddenly liking the East? Seems pointless at this stage.

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

O.k. folks, you need to be very strong now...

Here comes...
Martine!!!

24 hour down vote for you.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

For @Elisa and @Herman:

Hi Renny, 

Thanks for that video, it's hilarious. At 00:30 one of the crew is playing one of the typical traditional games Dutch children play at Kingsday: trying blindfolded to eat a cookie. It got is own wiki lemma here. Just to give you an idea how big this is, I post 2 snapshots of my neighborhood. If someone is coming over to The Netherlands, be there around Kingsday! Or at the end of June of course, at the finish.

20180427_125111.jpg

20180427_114014.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think I was born sick.

Physically or mentally? 

6 hours ago, thengling said:

The wind picking up and howling within 1 minute gives me the shivers. Must be something 30-ish kts or more.

37 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

(I'd rather have a Nico every now and then too.)

Me too, I like Nicho, his honesty and reflection is cool. One of those seasalts that make watching this race so worthwhile. :)

....And I would like to hear and see more of the young talents such as Louis (hasn’t he dried out nicely or what? ^_^ )

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/9415.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Scally finding Jesus and been headed east for some time now.  When the fleet cuts the corner at Recife, Scally will be offshore rolling in the trades.

Had a look at the CAPE as indicator/proxy for the instability of the atmosphere (read ITCZ) and how it is projected via EMWCF. It will be receding in the coming days from the north side after passing of the frontrunners, that would favor Scally being the most to the south. 

Edited by Herman
after passing of the frontrunners

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Seems Vestas is steadily chipping away at TToP’s lead. Hope team Dee can find a bit more speed soon

Vestas and other boats are grinding down TTToP slowly but steadily since last night. That must be sub-optimal boat handling and/or sail plan by TTToP rewinding the tracker IMHO. No serious clouds to be seen looking at the track, and no pressure or wind differences as explanation to be seen either if the EMWCF holds up.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Buggered if I know why Witty is suddenly liking the East? Seems pointless at this stage.

Well, there is that land thingy they have to go around.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Doesn't look as if they've noticed, esp. Mapfre.

• Like 2

I have been trying to get my hands on local weather satellite pics, to no avail. Even the Brazilian aerospcae service did not have recent pics of today. So here is the EUMETSAT IR 10.8 zoomed-in & cut-out and the GOES-West full disc. Looks more or less cloud-free atm. No luck with the NOAA SSM/I wind product, the satellite missed eastern Brazil. 

20181181000_GOES16-ABI-FD-GEOCOLOR-1808x1808 compressed.jpg

meteosat-msg_ir108_overlay-ne_10m_coastline_overlay-ne_10m_admin_0_boundary_lines_land compressed + cut out.jpg

wind_speed.west.gif

• Like 7

Tacking at night in a lightning storm.  No time to change the stack says Stu:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Herman said:

SHKS and MAPF gained 10 miles, since I went to bed. MAPF has come up gradually in the past hour or so, probably to increase apparent win and to position for a loose cover on SHKS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Tacking at night in a lightning storm.  No time to change the stack says Stu:

Nice one. A request for our French speaking Sailing Anarchists: what is Pascal saying to the OBR in the 30 seconds interview starting at 02:00? I can't understand a thing unfortunately, even after trying 3 times.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Called on from off watch, in cockpit hanging onto a pedestle, no seaway and going uphill <10k and water >26 degrees...no tether... that is a hanging offence.

Fuck give me a break.

It was <10k uphill, but now the squall has hit and it's 25-30 on a broad reach. The boat is doing 16kn.. but target is 18kn if only you can get that sheet onto the outrigger. . .  and then you hit the fishing boat!

Besides how do you tell when conditions are ok when you've just been rudely awakened from sleep and told to get on deck. No time to go check and if it is marginal go back. Just put it on!

I'm not saying hang anybody. Not wearing PFDs in such circumstances is all too common. I'm just saying that given the exposure this race gets, it would be better if they set an example, specially as there have been 2 MOB and a nighttime collision already in this race.

57 minutes ago, boomer said:

That is a superbe show by Conrad again, explaining the effect of clouds on the wind direction and speed by using simple things like ventilators. Even my kids can follow that!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

That is a superbe show by Conrad again, explaining the effect of clouds on the wind direction and speed by using simple things like ventilators. Even my kids can follow that!

Indeed, reminded me of an exciting version of "School TV" (a rather dry and boring German educational TV show that rehashes subject matter that is taught at school).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Nice one. A request for our French speaking Sailing Anarchists: what is Pascal saying to the OBR in the 30 seconds interview starting at 02:00? I can't understand a thing unfortunately, even after trying 3 times.

Pascal sentences after 2:00 

"Non, c’est marrant le classement car en règle général c’est pas que ça change l’humeur de l’équipage mais ça influe, c’est humain. Voilà, la course n’est pas terminé, l’étape non plus …. on a perdu 10 miles et de toute façon, si à chaque classement, à un moment donné, tu as une mauvaise nouvelle, c’est sur que ça doit finir par te déprimer. Là, on a eu notre petite dose pour la semaine, je pense que maintenant ça suffit parce que à un moment donné, ça va m’énerver"

"No, it's funny the ranking because generally it's not that it changes the mood of the crew but it definitively influences it, it's human. That's it, the race is not over, the leg either.... we lost 10 miles. Anyway, If at each ranking, at some point, you have bad news, it's sure that you must end up depressed. Here, we had our little dose for the week, I think now that's enough because at some point, it will annoy me"

• Like 6

Compression has started with an afternoon of daylight left for cloud spotting in the worst spot. Scally won't be so lucky and will need their owl eyes.

Scally are feeling the pain of earlier decisions. Their boatspeed is now under three while all the others are experiencing double digit boatspeeds. Ouch!

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Indeed, reminded me of an exciting version of "School TV" (a rather dry and boring German educational TV show that rehashes subject matter that is taught at school).

Yesterday's show was quite good too - I had no idea that they trimmed the keel so much (never sailed on such a boat) 

so, now they're 20/30nm east of where i was born. miss you, recife.

• Like 2

Very pleased to see that Brunel’s boat speed now can keep up with AkzoNobel’s speed, especially in these semi light conditions. A welcome improvement! :)

• Like 2

So has anyone heard what is going on with the Scally inquest into the death in the Pacific?

For such a serious matter VOR seems to be just ignoring it.  Have they changed the safety requirements at all?

eQ20E.jpg

• Downvote 3

Gybes, TTOP,  Vestas and Donger... 

Edit: and Donger turned back quickly.