southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

8 minutes ago, random said:

Hey look someone on one of the boats just trimmed the main!

Fucking awesome stuff.

Not as awesome as RC sailing I'm sure.

• Like 1

And I zoomed in on the tracker and saw someone taking a dump off the stern while the rest of the team sailed on.

Awesome team work.  Legends!

Mapfre had a blinder of a transition out to the East. Painters and Waggers, not so much.

Scally has hit another speed bump...interestingly in exactly the same place as Yellow, Plastic and Paintspot all did long ago. That is pretty unusual.

Scally bogged.jpg

59 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Not as awesome as RC sailing I'm sure.

hoppy try not to encourage interference here of the open cranial kind.  

Head.gif

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scally has hit another speed bump...interestingly in exactly the same place as Yellow, Plastic and Paintspot all did long ago. That is pretty unusual.

tenor.gif?itemid=3553153

• Downvote 1

Fucking Home Owners Association put in those speed bumps

BR, Dong & Dee are launched while VS hit that one soft spot

As they are now in the good wind, we can confidently predict there will be no changes in the order (as if!!!),

Assuming that fantasy the points will be:

DFRT 51
MAPF 48
TBRU 44
AKZO 35
SHKS 27
VS11 27
TTOP 26

So no change in the order,  but it's still pretty close in Div 1, and even closer in Div 2. 

AKZO still has not yet been assigned a division!

BB may win one of these RTW things after all?!?!?!

Interesting differnces of opinion, especially between Dongfeng legging it west and Vestas seemingly sacraficing speed to get North.

1 hour ago, gregwilkins said:

As they are now in the good wind, we can confidently predict there will be no changes in the order (as if!!!),

Assuming that fantasy the points will be:

DFRT 51
MAPF 48
TBRU 44
AKZO 35
SHKS 27
VS11 27
TTOP 26

So no change in the order,  but it's still pretty close in Div 1, and even closer in Div 2. 

AKZO still has not yet been assigned a division!

BB may win one of these RTW things after all?!?!?!

Greg I have not checked but if you are right, then that hypothetical Table of yours post Leg 8 based upon current placings indicates who ever worked out the scoring for this Edition should be taken out and sodomised with a house brick, not once but twice. For instance;

Dee at the bottom completing all legs and a podium this leg yet above her are 2 boats that didn't finish a leg and one (Vestas) didn't finish two and didn't even fuckin start in one. Then there is Akzo who have got 3 podiums in the longest/toughest legs, incl a #1 to date, yet are adrift of the Leaderboard and just ahead of two boats, one who couldn't finish a leg and the other not finishing two with a non start in one.

Liz Wardley might just well have said to Dee "why bust our arse to keep the rig in the boat getting to Itajai, it can fall down, we then motor in or get rescued by a spaceship and we are no worse off"

That is fuckin scoring lunacy by any objective measure. 

• Like 7

Since the 0700 Sced Vestas seems to have realized their friends were going a different route and decided to follow.

20 minutes ago, Zander said:

Since the 0700 Sced Vestas seems to have realized their friends were going a different route and decided to follow.

.....or they found the trades @ 20 kts +  and as per plan are back in cmg country. Begging the question what DF is up to, as Mapfre and Vestas are going for lower and faster all the way to Newport. With every boat more between them and DF .... did I just hear Capey actually saying "we are winning the Volvo"?  

Capey’s wise words, he seems relaxed which is usually a good sign :)

:angry:I’ve just spent 10 minutes copying the vid in, but the link only shows another miss Graels video.. must be jinxed :blink:

9 hours ago, Miffy said:

TBH the various streams are so consistent now between the raw feed, and the VOR/Team accounts, most of the thread posts is just a bandwidth hog for ppl using metered data. 

Describing what everyone can see on the tracker is bandwidth clutter too, but extremely enjoyable, and sometimes it includes the one or other thing to learn. Double posts happen with so many sources that multiply the content, and we should be just a bit relaxed about them (my "Ha!s" to @southerncross are just a cheeky reaction to his post from a couple of days ago, no harm meant, and I will stop now). 

I'd rather have all available content posted here in one place, as @despacio avenue has mentioned before, and tolerate repetitions, than need to monitor Twitter, the VOR site, Facebook, several blogs, Instagram, YouTube... This way we share the effort, nice community collaboration.

If you struggle with your data plan, there should be a function in your browser that prevents images to be shown and videos to auto-run or be shown at all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

If you struggle with your data plan, there should be a function in your browser that prevents images to be shown and videos to auto-run or be shown at all.

Renny good advice..I'm downloading all of this via a HF Radio/Modem. I'm looking forward to the finish in Cape Town. No spoilers please.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Renny good advice..I'm downloading all of this via a HF Radio/Modem. I'm looking forward to the finish in Cape Town. No spoilers please.

Hahahaha, they told us, time travel is not (yet) possible, but you proved them wrong.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Greg I have not checked but if you are right, then that hypothetical Table of yours post Leg 8 based upon current placings indicates who ever worked out the scoring for this Edition should be taken out and sodomised with a house brick, not once but twice. For instance;

Dee at the bottom completing all legs and a podium this leg yet above her are 2 boats that didn't finish a leg and one (Vestas) didn't finish two and didn't even fuckin start in one. Then there is Akzo who have got 3 podiums in the longest/toughest legs, incl a #1 to date, yet are adrift of the Leaderboard and just ahead of two boats, one who couldn't finish a leg and the other not finishing two with a non start in one.

Liz Wardley might just well have said to Dee "why bust our arse to keep the rig in the boat getting to Itajai, it can fall down, we then motor in or get rescued by a spaceship and we are no worse off"

That is fuckin scoring lunacy by any objective measure. 

what would you suggest otherwise?

TTOP, have had poor results, it shows and rightfully so.

That said, perhaps double points for all legs. Would make a dnf / dns harder to over come

10 minutes ago, damagesmith said:

How about big penalty points for not starting a leg and then some for not finishing one....rewarding longer and harder legs over small ones beyond the double points etc etc. You were clearly damaged at birth to post that nothing reply. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, damagesmith said:

That said, perhaps double points for all legs. Would make a dnf / dns harder to over come

I have a suggestion.

Stop treating this a boat race, it's not, there are no prizes.  They are floating billboards managed by a Chinese company.

The only people who give a fuck are deluded fans and some of the crew who appreciate that a podium listing on the resume is a better look than last place.  Everything else is a marketing charade designed to attract the attention of those at the mental level not capable of understanding that.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

How about big penalty points for not starting a leg and then some for not finishing one. You were clearly damaged at birth to even post that brain dead reply. 

Next brain dead suggestion:

What about:

1st: 15 pts
2nd: 12 pts
3rd: 10 pts
4th: 7 pts
5th: 6 pts
6th: 5 pt
7th: 4 pts

and if better times arise
8th: 3 pts
9th: 2 pts
10th: 1 pts
rest: 0 pts

maybe double points for special legs

5 or 10 additional points for the shortest time overall (DNS/DNF legs: time of the slowest of this leg plus 10 hours or so).

1 additional point for each in-port race win  

22 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Next brain dead suggestion:....

Still lacking penalties for DNS's and DNF's plus not weighting podium finish in relation to leg length/difficulty beyond selected leg double points. That is the crux of the current joke leaderboard.

The scoring remedy for what is just a 7 horse race should be to reward the podium finishers,  consistency and those that finish. For instance it may incorporate being able to drop a leg (now there so many) providing you finished it?

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

Next brain dead suggestion:

What about:

1st: 15 pts
2nd: 12 pts
3rd: 10 pts
4th: 7 pts
5th: 6 pts
6th: 5 pt
7th: 4 pts

and if better times arise
8th: 3 pts
9th: 2 pts
10th: 1 pts
rest: 0 pts

maybe double points for special legs

5 or 10 additional points for the shortest time overall (DNS/DNF legs: time of the slowest of this leg plus 10 hours or so).

1 additional point for each in-port race win  

Yeah.thumb.jpg.e0d09a2ee4de0cf7aa105e2fb2d102bf.jpg

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Still lacking penalties for DNS's and DNF's plus not weighting podium finish in relation to leg length/difficulty beyond selected leg double points. That is the crux of the current joke leaderboard.

Hmmm, minus points for DNF/DNS?
And, to make it very complicated, have a coefficient composed of the leg length and difficulty... Higher maths, I'm out.

I can't beleive Scally lost 70+miles in 10 hours????

Lucky my second favorite is out front!

Go Caped Crusaders.

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I can't beleive Scally lost 70+miles in 10 hours????

Do you think they might be in a search pattern?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

G'day all!

Sorry to miss all this VOR excitement, been catching up on many good posts and checked the tracker for the first time in this leg this afternoon Just arrived on the French island of Futuna after a 250nm passage from Fiji in never more 10 knots of wind, much like the the Volvo earlier in this leg. And dragging along a heavy duty Singer sewing machine that has seen 2 Whitbreads, as well as a Lirakus ball sqeezer, personal strobe lights, and tons of sailcloth etc. did not help either. Neither did all the barnacles on the bottom of the keel. We also had our own fight with one big cloud that managed to sail around us, we called that a karma cloud, see picture by our 16 yr old Fijian OBR:IMG_20180501_204524_665.thumb.jpg.6f7d2f8f9c3194d1c4e257a79c2a9d25.jpg

The return trip looks like much of the same light weather, so the Live tracker is waisted on me for a little longer. Anyway, kudos to the VOR for that much anticipated move. See you soon, FB.

• Like 12

Just deleted an entire post, load of drivel.

Had a whole other points table worked out then woke up this is not a double points leg. Worst part is I'm sober.

35 minutes ago, paps49 said:

just deleted an entire post, load of drivel.

Good call.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Describing what everyone can see on the tracker is bandwidth clutter too, but extremely enjoyable, and sometimes it includes the one or other thing to learn. Double posts happen with so many sources that multiply the content, and we should be just a bit relaxed about them (my "Ha!s" to @southerncross are just a cheeky reaction to his post from a couple of days ago, no harm meant, and I will stop now). 

I'd rather have all available content posted here in one place, as @despacio avenue has mentioned before, and tolerate repetitions, than need to monitor Twitter, the VOR site, Facebook, several blogs, Instagram, YouTube... This way we share the effort, nice community collaboration.

You guys do you.  I'm not one to get into a tizzy trying to police behavior. 

8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Well if you don't contribute much I can see that it really wouldn't matter.  

Ren is right to call me out for double posting a video.  It takes a lot of time to cut several videos together and put them up on YT before posting here and that is appreciated.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The scoring remedy for what is just a 7 horse race should be to reward the podium finishers,  consistency and those that finish. For instance it may incorporate being able to drop a leg (now there so many) providing you finished it?

Does someone have elapsed time per leg for each boat? I was trying to collect the information in a spreadsheet, but it is slow because I have to go fishing for the data in each led results and leg reviews to find the time for all teams...

Regarding ranking, I was wondering if a good ol' cumulative time would not be better.

OK, it does not rewards finishing first, or penalize properly DNF and DNS, so maybe a "corrected time"???

Something like:

Leg winner gets a credit of -10hrs to elapsed time

Leg 2nd: - 7hrs

Leg 3rd: -2 hrs

All others, elapsed time.

DNF: leg last arrived elapsed time +10 hrs

DNS: leg last arrived elapsed time +20 hrs

In-Port Leg wins: - 2 hrs

waddayya tink?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

?

Sorry, not native speaker, I can't make sense of this

Great to see BRUNEL up front again. Go you good things.

• Like 3

Trying to track down the "new scare" Mapfre has.  Or maybe it was lost in translation.

So they have followed the electrical issues on board, with some other new scare, and so continues to navigate the @MAPFRE. Come on Team!!!

Something about breaking the computer that manages the keel and electric pump.

• Like 1

Neti improvising.  Rigged up a string with a marker at various points to measure the keel angle from down below.  See video above.

7 new uploads, incl. interviews, night sailing, B-roll, LiveX, seaweed (yes, the same we already know), equator crossing...

• Like 2

what's wrong with either Dong or the live ..... ? Dong lost 10 kts in the last 15 Minutes

17 minutes ago, BozoC said:

what's wrong with either Dong or the live ..... ? Dong lost 10 kts in the last 15 Minutes

I noticed that too. They seemed to be doing around the same speed as the rest of the top boats as well. 

I think that it was the tracker as they are back at 10ish miles behind Brunel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Neti improvising.  Rigged up a string with a marker at various points to measure the keel angle from down below.  See video above.

Same set string marker as the Shock 40 system.   

So now tell me naviguessers and routing masters, what is the next tricky part or is it ‘just’ a drag race to Newport and the one with the most boat speed wins?

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Great to see BRUNEL up front again. Go you good things.

Nice comeback. They just sailed away. Bouwe and Capey enjoying their mojo!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elisa said:

So now tell me naviguessers and routing masters, what is the next tricky part or is it ‘just’ a drag race to Newport and the one with the most boat speed wins?

Drag race for 3 or 4 days and then gulf stream and High pressure ridge to deal with. 

I don't know what data they get given for the Gulf Stream,  but with a High Pressure involved, it could be the ultimate decider in this leg.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Elisa said:

See my post upthread, no changes in the analysis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

?

Sorry, not native speaker, I can't make sense of this

Means live and let live. Keep doing what makes you happy

They're all running 110-120 deg TWA, with 120 being max speed on the polar (~21.5) and 110 maybe 21.0 at 20 knts TWS.  And roughly 30 degrees below rhumb line, which cost 13% of the vecctor.  While 20 deg below rhumb is only 6% loss, so 7% difference VMG on course selection and (0.5/21=2.5% on polar loss)  So for pure VMG along rhumb line, 110 deg TWA is better.  Point is that they have at least a 10 degree wide band of reasonable performance that they can sail, which will give them pretty wide separation if they want.  There is almost no wind pressure gradient and the ice line melted, so no reason to purely drag race in-line.  They've got over 1000 miles of this so could be spread over almost 200 miles E-W when they enter the gulf stream.  

• Like 3

When they all arrived in Auckland there is probably not one of us who had not written Bouwer and Capey off, some even unkindly suggesting the silly old buggers were passed it and should put the cue back in the rack. Well I hope the humble pie is large enough to go around.

It actually hasn't been a huge turnaround as they showed leaving China they finally could match everyone with BS, in fact uphill were probably the fastest, but once they fell off the back at the ITCZ and again at NC on that leg there was no return. Since then again nothing dramatic until both in the last leg and this one Capey has found an advantage at some point on the race track that others haven't and instead of wasting it they have built upon it.

I wonder if thoughts of not doing another edition might have moved to the back of their minds?  

• Like 2

Scally likes the rhumb line if nobody is using it, so I'll bet they harden up once they get a little more wind.

Tuke's chance for the sailing triple crown seem to be fading . . but he still has a shot if they can hold the boat gremlins at bay. 

That would be an amazing accomplishment for one so young. 

3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Tuke's chance for the sailing triple crown seem to be fading . . but he still has a shot if they can hold the boat gremlins at bay. 

That would have been an amazing accomplishment for one so young. 

Bit early to be writing MAPFRE off just yet, AJ. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You need to stop inhaling AJ. Finish in this position they leave Newport still second on the ladder for a double points leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

I think that it was the tracker as they are back at 10ish miles behind Brunel.

The past hour has been a good one for Dong. Same speed as yellow, but better VMG. Knocked another mile off their lead.

32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

When they all arrived in Auckland there is probably not one of us who had not written Bouwer and Capey off, some even unkindly suggesting the silly old buggers were passed it and should put the cue back in the rack. Well I hope the humble pie is large enough to go around.

It actually hasn't been a huge turnaround as they showed leaving China they finally could match everyone with BS, in fact uphill were probably the fastest, but once they fell off the back at the ITCZ and again at NC on that leg there was no return. Since then again nothing dramatic until both in the last leg and this one Capey has found an advantage at some point on the race track that others haven't and instead of wasting it they have built upon it.

I wonder if thoughts of not doing another edition might have moved to the back of their minds?  

Well said Sparrow, and I too should probably have a teensy piece of that pie because I too thought it is just one race too many...

Mea culpa, I hope the yellow pon pons will make up for it ^_^

Capey is relaxed in the vids and pics, job done for now.... good sign! Go Yellow!

Dong finding an extra gear with that VMG..

9 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Well said Sparrow, and I too should probably have a teensy piece of that pie because I too thought it is just one race too many...

Mea culpa, I hope the yellow pon pons will make up for it ^_^

Capey is relaxed in the vids and pics, job done for now.... good sign! Go Yellow!

For a while there Brunel was the team shuffling with more crew changes between Melbourne to the southern ocean. Definitely wasn't looking good particularly given BB's blunt admission leaving Lisbon that the team was half-way funded.

36 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Dong finding an extra gear with that VMG..

It's like they engaged the autopilot. Their track is as straight as can be. Brunel's lead now down to 8.3.

image.png.58c40c8bc70769bb334e5ba2dfb9021a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Perhaps we should now pin our hopes on Peter B to take out that honour. If they win again it will be the yellow boat showing form up the leaderboard ...

Little diversion here. Battery on my old tablet gave up the ghost, so most of my web viewing is now done from my phone. Earlier today, I followed the race with my now seldom used PC and became intrigued with VMG numbers on VOR's tracker. My phone is high res, so I request the desktop site, but tracker only shows DTL, Speed, TWS, TWD and TWA. Is there a way to show VMG? VOR, if ya'll are listening, how about a mechanism for picking which columns are shown. This would be especially useful in your mobile site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlechay said:

The Congo accounts for nearly 60 percent of global production of Cobolt. Despite it being mined elsewhere and also being a by-product of Nickle production, there’s no lithium-ion battery industry without Congo cobalt.

The chief suspect in the Congo hand dug artisanal cobalt supply chain is a company called Congo DongFang International Mining, a subsidiary of the Chinese company Huayou Cobalt. http://en.huayou.com/ Some companies have stopped buying cobalt from this crowd such as Apple when they were sprung with around a fifth of their battery products being produced using exploited labour, including kids working in hazardous conditions.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That was me for sure.  Out to pasture I said.  Ignoring all the history (which Jack revisited).

They weren't even in the running after Leg 5 and Bouwe all the while keeping calm with a smile saying he'd seen how the race could turn around after the horn.  I wondered how he could remain so cool while Charles and others, for example, were losing theirs.  Wisdom.  Experience.  Age.  We get less riled about things as we get older.

Besides swapping out the main, I vaguely recall Bouwe mention getting something akin to a tongue lashing from the team (sponsors?) about the disappointing performance.  That lit a fire under their arses and it's been full on with no looking back ever since.

This Edition has more that deserve a win then ever - Bouwe, Charles, Xabi, Dee.  Simeon can do a few more and so could the Yanks before they deserve it as much as the aforementioned.  The Scally team deserve a win in a different way.  Some day.

• Like 2

This is some great footage.  Perfect conditions and a HUGE patch of Sarosso.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes - big change, we would all love to know what has caused the turnaround

Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, dr_dave said:

Any ideas?

Ha ha, younger crew...

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Congo accounts for nearly 60 percent of global production of Cobolt. Despite it being mined elsewhere and also being a by-product of Nickle production, there’s no lithium-ion battery industry without Congo cobalt.

The chief suspect in the Congo hand dug artisanal cobalt supply chain is a company called Congo DongFang International Mining, a subsidiary of the Chinese company Huayou Cobalt. http://en.huayou.com/ Some companies have stopped buying cobalt from this crowd such as Apple when they were sprung with around a fifth of their battery products being produced using exploited labour, including kids working in hazardous conditions.

Damn cathode. 

54 minutes ago, Varan said:

Damn cathode. 

Yes and represents around the quarter of the cost of making a lithium battery cell and the cathode materials used determines the battery energy density. For things like small devices in particular, Cobolt is used because of its high energy density 

The boats in this race however are not going around courtesy of child slave labour in the Congo. The cathode chemistry in their batteries contains no Cobolt and instead is Lithium Iron Phosphate which while having a lower energy density, is safer (essential on a sailboat) and the cells last longer.

I hope I have put you all at ease knowing that before you join Randumb on his next "The VOR is Inhumane" crusade.

• Like 2

Update from navigator Libby Greenhalgh onboard Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag:

The bungee to the fleet right now is stretching to its maximum elasticity ready recoil on the last day and hopefully slingshot us around some of the fleet or at least put us in amongst it. There is a small possibility that it will reach its capacity and we will simply be a bit of a damp firework and get towed along out of reach. But until then our fireworks are dry.

Since we fell behind in the first few days we have been looking for the next opportunity and it is the last two days that might just give us that.

A rapid cyclogenesis (that's the meteorologist in me who is also mildly excited about seeing this!) is expected over the Gulf Stream, creating some 45-50KT, hideous sea state, boat breaking carnage, Southern Ocean but a damn sight warmer and for a notably shorter period of time.

Our opportunity will come from from the 7th May as the leaders lift into the high and we get to still have our foot down. Oh to have a sched where we gain. The positioning and development of this low will [be] key and is highly variable. 

It is likely there will be huge thunder clouds with large downdraft in excess of the forecast 45 Kt surface winds due to the release of large amounts of energy triggered by the warm waters of the Gulf Stream.

There will be balance between taking the wind, avoiding the current along with the sea state [and] keeping the boat in one piece.

I would tune back in on the 7th!

Libby at the nav desk

Miles to go: 2863
Max speed: 21 Kt
Hot Choc: 0
Food of the day: pasta carbonara getting a little boring
Weather: cloudy 
Sea temp: hot 28 degrees
On Deck: wet 
Angle of heel 25 deg

1 hour ago, dr_dave said:

Any ideas?

Better luck at avoiding transition issues. The southern ocean leg was basically nonstop. Boat had a lot of communication issues and after arriving in Auckland there was a concrete effort at improving them. Number of ppl changing didn't help. 

Be curious to see if Lush rejoins after Newport. 

Didn't Mapfre swap out all their sails for their second batch?

m117456_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

MAPFRE by Ugo Fonollá — published Tuesday 1st May 2018 @ 11:36 UTC

Leg 8 from Itajai to Newport, day 09 on board MAPFRE, Antonio Cuervas-Mons repairing a little hole in the sail with the help of Blair Tuke. 30 April, 2018.

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Didn't Mapfre swap out all their sails for their second batch?

Even new ones wear..maybe Tuke should take his stilettos off. 

Gabart's record on Macif was done on North 3DI's that had already done the equivalent of 2 laps.

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A rapid cyclogenesis (that's the meteorologist in me who is also mildly excited about seeing this!) is expected over the Gulf Stream, creating some 45-50KT, hideous sea state, boat breaking carnage,

The common name is "Weather Bomb"

Highest microplastics levels found during ocean race

2 May 2018

The preliminary results of the Volvo Ocean Race Science Program found 360 particles of microplastics per cubic metre in the sample from the South China Sea, an area that feeds into the Great Pacific Ocean Gyre.

The Great Pacific Ocean Gyre is one of five major gyres, driven by trade and westerly winds, which collect large concentrations of plastic debris. In total, this gyre is thought to weigh around seven million tons and is twice the size of Texas.

There were also 75 particles of microplastics per cubic metre found in waters close to Hong Kong and 60 particles of microplastics per cubic metre near Auckland.

The previous highest levels of 307 particles per cubic metre were discovered in the area where the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean meet.

Sailor Liz Wardley took the samples on the Turn the Tide on Plastic race boat as it travelled from Hong Kong east into the north Philippine Sea. The high readings coincided with the boat entering the Kuroshio current which feeds the ocean gyre.

More ...

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204764/Highest-microplastics-levels-found

• Like 1

That Saragasso weed is crazy stuff, here is 48 hours worth on a beach in Cuba. The sad part is that the weed piles are filled with plastic debris:

Washed up weed.jpg

• Like 3

Nearly 200 Miles behind now for Scallywag. They will need to keep taking risks to catch up which is not likely. More likely they fall further behind as they risks fail? When they finally get to the other end they leave themselves less time to prepare for the next leg and less time for the crew to recover. Vicious cycle  that only makes things harder. Great to see Brunel doing well will be interesting to see if they can hold off Dongfeng who must be liking their chances to gain some points on Mapfre this leg..

• Like 1