• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

5 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Shang you are lucky then in Shanghai.  Very wet Shandong. Anyway as a newbie, not my place to challenge the great and the good. (Jack and Shang) . Just happy to learn so much about VOR from this forum. . And go Dongfeng, go!!!

Great that China has a team. Who could imagine that 10years ago.

???? 2008-2009 Green Dragon sponsored by Wei Chai Power and Discover Ireland. Guo Chuan was the OBR, lovely man sadly no longer with us.

Great and the good? Jack - he's speaking about you ha ha!

SS

Obvious course to the bottom of the first exclusion zone, so just a close reach drag course for 8 hours in a building, heading breeze.  Scally looking for the high line, DF in MF's hip pocket again, and BR footing to the pressure.  

After the ex-zone, it's a big playground with lots of room for separation:  Better pressure in Rio, but better angle outside.  Game on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Bananas...I've seen some pretty seriously ugly scenes on boats when an unwitting/naive/unknowledgable person came onboard with a banana.  The banana owners were variously confused/stunned/aghast as the response, and In the case of a fishing boat, were the subject of heaps of blame for a lousy catch.

Charles should have hooked up the hydro machine or something; it was painful to watch the Leg 7 finish. It was like that kids book The Little Engine That Could, except it was The Big Sailboat That Could Not.

Image result for banana on fishing boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Very slick driving by Pablo just like the Auckland start...Dee the big improver. This chicken is out.

Pablo is so important for Mapfre, one of those solid, reliable drivers. He isn’t in the spotlight much, but sure he is one the of the pillars of Mapfre’s succes. Last edition he was on the submarine, there they miss him still I think.

7 hours ago, stief said:

Good stuff--will take  a few days to catchup on all the good links and posts. Re impossible-to-predict-game: any order likely this leg. Guessing this order:

MAPF (main, grinders, lighter, and worked out light air sailing last part of last leg, but their edge is mostly speed and their evolutions speed in transitions)

TBRU. Age and cunning combined with youth and brilliance should give the the edge as we saw last leg and in the in-port.

AKZO. Teamwork and experience coming together should give them the little extra in the transitions

DFRT. Good all around.

VS11 Home port, but back foot. 

TTOP. Gelling as a team, speed still developing. Podium in Europe

SHKS. They've already 'won'. 

Bathroom break over. Cheers

MAPF : They still have an edge 

TRBU : Just because I respect Bouwe so much for his leadership and contribution to the VOR and I want him to go out a podium winner. Secretly, down in my heart I would love Bouwe to win the whole thing but I realize this is unrealistic.

DFRT :  Still have an edge but its gets whittled away each leg

AKZO:  Best of the rest, now that Vestas is off the pace.  Finding their inspiration and cohesion as pre-race problems fade into the distance. CN is on eof best watch captains in the race.

VESTAS :  Mast tune slows early progress. SciFi navigation keeps them in the picture until they find their pace in second half of the leg   

TTOP:  They challenge TRBU, AKZO and VESTAS all the way up the coast but dont quite close the deal on this long leg.

SHKS :  To a huge welcome in Newport.

25 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Great and the good? Jack - he's speaking about you ha ha!

SS

I'm not sure about the great? Choose not to comment.

BUT I seriously question "good".  Jack seems to revel in the bad. As I was just saying to the twins mother the other day.....

32 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

TRBU : Just because I respect Bouwe so much for his leadership and contribution to the VOR and I want him to go out a podium winner. Secretly, down in my heart I would love Bouwe to win the whole thing but I realize this is unrealistic.

Yes, exactly and for Capey too :)

I might be overly sensitive but I wish the coverage would let Sally talk more - the way he keeps talking over Sally and feeds her longwinded questions that don't require much of a response doesn't add much to the coverage.

• Like 1

TTOP is our beacon TransAt:

Great cockpit action on DFRT, a bit of an extended version of what Jack posted above. CB calling the shots: