southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

5 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Shang you are lucky then in Shanghai.  Very wet Shandong. Anyway as a newbie, not my place to challenge the great and the good. (Jack and Shang) . Just happy to learn so much about VOR from this forum. . And go Dongfeng, go!!!

Great that China has a team. Who could imagine that 10years ago.

???? 2008-2009 Green Dragon sponsored by Wei Chai Power and Discover Ireland. Guo Chuan was the OBR, lovely man sadly no longer with us.

Great and the good? Jack - he's speaking about you ha ha!

SS

Obvious course to the bottom of the first exclusion zone, so just a close reach drag course for 8 hours in a building, heading breeze.  Scally looking for the high line, DF in MF's hip pocket again, and BR footing to the pressure.  

After the ex-zone, it's a big playground with lots of room for separation:  Better pressure in Rio, but better angle outside.  Game on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Bananas...I've seen some pretty seriously ugly scenes on boats when an unwitting/naive/unknowledgable person came onboard with a banana.  The banana owners were variously confused/stunned/aghast as the response, and In the case of a fishing boat, were the subject of heaps of blame for a lousy catch.

Charles should have hooked up the hydro machine or something; it was painful to watch the Leg 7 finish. It was like that kids book The Little Engine That Could, except it was The Big Sailboat That Could Not.

Image result for banana on fishing boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Very slick driving by Pablo just like the Auckland start...Dee the big improver. This chicken is out.

Pablo is so important for Mapfre, one of those solid, reliable drivers. He isn’t in the spotlight much, but sure he is one the of the pillars of Mapfre’s succes. Last edition he was on the submarine, there they miss him still I think.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stief said:

Good stuff--will take  a few days to catchup on all the good links and posts. Re impossible-to-predict-game: any order likely this leg. Guessing this order:

MAPF (main, grinders, lighter, and worked out light air sailing last part of last leg, but their edge is mostly speed and their evolutions speed in transitions)

TBRU. Age and cunning combined with youth and brilliance should give the the edge as we saw last leg and in the in-port.

AKZO. Teamwork and experience coming together should give them the little extra in the transitions

DFRT. Good all around.

VS11 Home port, but back foot. 

TTOP. Gelling as a team, speed still developing. Podium in Europe

SHKS. They've already 'won'. 

Bathroom break over. Cheers

MAPF : They still have an edge 

TRBU : Just because I respect Bouwe so much for his leadership and contribution to the VOR and I want him to go out a podium winner. Secretly, down in my heart I would love Bouwe to win the whole thing but I realize this is unrealistic.

DFRT :  Still have an edge but its gets whittled away each leg

AKZO:  Best of the rest, now that Vestas is off the pace.  Finding their inspiration and cohesion as pre-race problems fade into the distance. CN is on eof best watch captains in the race.

VESTAS :  Mast tune slows early progress. SciFi navigation keeps them in the picture until they find their pace in second half of the leg   

TTOP:  They challenge TRBU, AKZO and VESTAS all the way up the coast but dont quite close the deal on this long leg.

SHKS :  To a huge welcome in Newport.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Great and the good? Jack - he's speaking about you ha ha!

SS

I'm not sure about the great? Choose not to comment.

BUT I seriously question "good".  Jack seems to revel in the bad. As I was just saying to the twins mother the other day.....

32 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

TRBU : Just because I respect Bouwe so much for his leadership and contribution to the VOR and I want him to go out a podium winner. Secretly, down in my heart I would love Bouwe to win the whole thing but I realize this is unrealistic.

Yes, exactly and for Capey too :)

I might be overly sensitive but I wish the coverage would let Sally talk more - the way he keeps talking over Sally and feeds her longwinded questions that don't require much of a response doesn't add much to the coverage.

• Like 1

Great cockpit action on DFRT, a bit of an extended version of what Jack posted above. CB calling the shots:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Miffy said:

I might be overly sensitive but I wish the coverage would let Sally talk more - the way he keeps talking over Sally and feeds her longwinded questions that don't require much of a response doesn't add much to the coverage.  

Agree; Sally is very knowledgeable and articulate. On the other hand, it seems there may have been some sort of communication issue, maybe technical, as he asked her a couple of questions or for a comment and there was no response.

I definitely prefer Niall over Andy Green. It was quite a jolt when the start finished playing and then Niall came on to talk about the race experts. I wanted to stuff cotton in my ears. 

2 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Great cockpit action on DFRT, a bit of an extended version of what Jack posted above. CB calling the shots:

Carolijn-Cam. Nice idea to have one of the sailors wear a gopro during the start.

• Like 2

Earlier, at the skippers’ press conference, Scallywag’s David Witt spoke poignantly about the loss of his friend and teammate John Fisher: “We started together 12 years ago and he was always the first guy picked… the biggest compliment I could give John is that he was the best team player I’ve ever seen. He put everyone else first.

“For me, he was my best mate. Sunday will be a bit weird – it will be the first time I’ve gone to sea without him in 12 years…

“But we’ve had amazing support from within the Volvo Ocean Race family. The character of the people in this race has been exemplified by the way we’ve been supported by the other competitors in this race… I’m sure John would be very proud about that.

“The best thing we can do in John’s memory is get on with the job on Sunday… If he was standing behind be right now he’d be telling me to harden up and get on with it and that’s what we’re going to do on Sunday.”

Read more at http://www.mysailing.com.au/offshore/volvo-ocean-race-mapfre-wins-in-itaja-to-extend-in-port-series-lead?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Enews April 23 2018&utm_content=Enews April 23 2018+CID_45f56ffe2645ed9312922903f74ec73a&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=Read more#MRxi8wksfjrC74CX.99

Thankyou for supplying this quote MY Sailing,  Hopefully all okay with copyright but I think an important rememberance at the start of the leg . cheers .

• Like 3

Scallywag always seems late to the party on the raw feed stuff. Going to to cut them some slack here, but hey, if you are back in the race, you are are back in the race with all its obligations.

(edit: no disrespect to the above post, we were typing at the same time)

Just turned midnight for the drag racers. Always interesting to observe watches from now until dawn as some fall off a bit then, albeit it a bit early now for that to come into play. Sort of looking forward to Live being turned off, it is too exhausting for SH couch drivers.

• Like 1

Good to see TTTOP hanging in there. Usual suspects out in front.

Any idea what is the reason for the "dangerous exclusion zone" they are presently passing south of?  The exclusion zones further north are listed as "Oil Fields".  Why is this one classed as "dangerous"?  Is it a military reason?  

f. Dangerous area Exclusion Zone 26° 23.419'S 26° 23.576'S 26° 49.247'S 26° 49.247'S 47° 00.098'W 46° 43.285’W 46°42.935’W 46° 59.922W Virtual Marks

5. DANGEROUS AREA EXCLUSION ZONE The DANGEROUS AREA Exclusion Zone is a polygon formed by straight line loxodromic segments linking the virtual marks listed in Para 2.f. above. The exclusion zone is an obstruction that boats shall not enter.

I believe it is an offshore oilfield with most likely drilling and production platforms. And if it is like in the Gulf of Mexico, not all of the production platforms are lit...

40 minutes ago, southerncross said:

That was some fine racing at the start.

Yep. Even Pistol Pete's flyer came good there for a while.

That big knock has suddenly delivered dividends to those who have been sacrificing some speed for height, particularly Scally and it is now Mapfree looking a bit lonely down south.

What happens between now and when they go for the last/big tack north and who goes first will be very interesting to watch. Will be quite a significant decision point in the scheme of things.

I would put Dee at #1 at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zander said:

Carolijn-Cam. Nice idea to have one of the sailors wear a gopro during the start

When Stu jumps on a pedestle I think it cringes..tough man.

15244665476801943481064.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That big knock has suddenly delivered dividends to those who have been sacrificing some speed for height, particularly Scally and it is now Mapfree looking a bit lonely down south.

What happens between now and when they go for the last/big tack north and who goes first will be very interesting to watch. Will be quite a significant decision point in the scheme of things.

Mapfre is furthest East And with probably most of a day left until they turn North, I am guessing the current amount of North/South separation does not really matter that much.

Hi all,

First thanks to @Volodia for contacting @clean to unban me. Got kicked in January without warning or reason, probably by the Editor for reasons unknown. I missed sharing with you all the stuff that happened in the infamous leg with a MOB, mast overboard and the close call win by Bouwe who finally got his mojo back. All I have to do now is to go through 400+ posts to catch up a bit.

On 4-4-2018 at 1:52 AM, southerncross said:

Try to read what was written above thread before posting.  Not doing so is called a Schackel.

SC, make that a "Schakel" - it's a small open boat class designed in 1961 in The Netherlands made out of multiplex.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schakel_(zeilboot)

On 4-4-2018 at 1:52 AM, southerncross said:

Some members are off limits including: Stief, Norbowgirl, Potter, Elisa, Rennmaus, JBC, Shanghai Sailor, Forss for all their much appreciated contributions

Get me on that list! And make sure that the Editor reads it too :D

Foto Schakel.jpg

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hi all,

First thanks to @Volodia for contacting @clean to unban me. Got kicked in January without warning or reason, probably by the Editor for reasons unknown. I missed sharing with you all the stuff that happened in the infamous leg with a MOB, mast overboard and the close call win by Bouwe who finally got his mojo back. All I have to do now is to go through 400+ posts to catch up a bit.

SC, make that a "Schakel" - it's a small open boat class designed in 1961 in The Netherlands made out of multiplex.

Welcome back on board!

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well fuck me Herman your outer jail. I bet you were nervous at shower time.

Welcome back. 

Thanks, good to read your ramblings again.

7 minutes ago, Zander said:

Welcome back on board!

Thank you!

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hi all,

HERMAN!!!!!!! So great to have you back. You were dearly missed. :)

• Like 1

Great to see Herman back.

Looking forward to his insights.

37 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

As the drag race is a bit boring until they start throwing in some tacks, thought I would throw this up.

17 poor sods killed in southern China while canoing. Sort of puts Vestas's Leg 4 incident into context locally. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-22/chinese-dragon-boats-capsize-in-river-17-killed/9685414

I wonder how many could swim?

It does shed a light on Vestas’ nightmare off Hong Kong. 

On another note, it’s good to see all seven boats at sea doing what they’re meant to be doing, hauling ass!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

HERMAN!!!!!!! So great to have you back. You were dearly missed. :)

Hi Renny, thank you. Glad to be back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Great to see Herman back.

Looking forward to his insights.

Thanks DtM!

5 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

Any idea what is the reason for the "dangerous exclusion zone" they are presently passing south of?  The exclusion zones further north are listed as "Oil Fields".  Why is this one classed as "dangerous"?  Is it a military reason?  

Its an FPSO: Floating Production Storage and Offloading you can find it on Marinetraffic here;

https://www.marinetraffic.com/pt/ais/home/shipid:373636/zoom:14

FPSO CITY OF ITAJAI

Schermafdruk 2018-04-23 11.10.41.png

• Like 1

Herman I can see why you have been missed.

That's a very large exclusion zone for one FPSO! I wonder what else lurks?

Herman, welcome back! Will be looking forward to reading (and learning) from your technical stuff again. Don’t bother with the 400+ posts, there is nothing in there you don’t already know :). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Thanks, good to read your ramblings again.

Good to have you back - now be careful who you upset :-)

SS

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

As the drag race is a bit boring until they start throwing in some tacks, thought I would throw this up.

17 poor sods killed in southern China while canoing. Sort of puts Vestas's Leg 4 incident into context locally. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-22/chinese-dragon-boats-capsize-in-river-17-killed/9685414

I have a boatbuilder friend with a holiday home in Guilin. He tells me that piece of the river is quite tricky, current wise. Crazy they went out to practice with out safety cover, lifejackets or telling the relevant people - when will they learn? You wouldn't get me in one of those dragon boats, long, narrow, unstable and bloody hard work.

SS

Some good stuff in this one. 3.30 interesting encounter with TTOP. 

I noticed that there now is Youtube button in the raw videos, making it easier to copy them in here. 

• Like 4

Herman--so glad you're back. Followed your tweets for routing updates since Hitch is busy with the Pacific. Nice work, Clean and Volodia. 

Herman, any idea if your old posts will be reinstated too?

• Like 2

Great to wake up to a new leg. I had been so productive at work since the boats arrived in Itajai. Now that will probably change again. Thanks for all the great analysis in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Great to wake up to a new leg. I had been so productive at work since the boats arrived in Itajai. Now that will probably change again. Thanks for all the great analysis in this thread. 

Yes, global economy will need to take a hit again now that all of us will become less productive once again :D.... who cares, when departing for the the big rest nobody ever says they wished they worked more... instead they all say that they wished they had made more fun and spent more time with loved ones. We’re not your loved ones but at least it is fun to be here  :)

• Like 3

If anyone else says "welcome back Herman" I'm going to tell my lawyers to cease and desist from defending Randumb's (and his socks) representations to the Ed that I should be banned. That will give me a break and upon return in 2021 a lot of love.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Its an FPSO: Floating Production Storage and Offloading you can find it on Marinetraffic here

Nonsense..one floating platform...look at the size of the Exclusion Zone..it's ex Itajai coastal shrimp grabbing traffic and maybe some oil left overs like that. Hence not designated, just a danger zone in the SI's.

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

I have a boatbuilder friend with a holiday home in Guilin. He tells me that piece of the river is quite tricky, current wise. Crazy they went out to practice with out safety cover, lifejackets or telling the relevant people - when will they learn? You wouldn't get me in one of those dragon boats, long, narrow, unstable and bloody hard work.

SS

You know how things work locally Shang...it will be either forgotton or the silly dills associated with organisation of that canoe trip won't be going home for a long while.

4 hours ago, Zander said:

Mapfre is furthest East And with probably most of a day left until they turn North, I am guessing the current amount of North/South separation does not really matter that much.

Once the most eastern boat hits light/header first, interim tacking starts, but they still need to get east into both more pressure and get headed for their final tack north. That will cause a bit of a restart for the southern group.

Scally is the one to watch if it can carry a lot easting without having to tack in concert with the others.

Probably a 50/50 for them but would be good to see they get a reward from their northern approach to the layline, that some others shared, but bailed out on.

• Like 1

Scally is turning cutting the corner into an art form. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I see you're back Herman.  First post and it's correction. :D

Welcome back.  Stief kept your ghost alive and got the ball rolling.

21 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Scally is turning cutting the corner into an art form. 

Not by accident as arguably have occured in past legs...this time very much on purpose but also supported by one of my many omens.

Libby is the shortest person in this edition let alone the shortest and only female naviguesser...this person passed away on the eve of the start.

unnamed (26).jpg

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

this person passed away on the eve of the start.

Saw that.  Rough life.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You know how things work locally Shang...it will be either forgotton or the silly dills associated with organisation of that canoe trip won't be going home for a long while.

I think you might just be right Jack, fuckwits of the highest order. They know the rules way better than any of us laoweis, even those of us who have been here a long time.

They do not like things to go wrong 'on their watch'.

SS

The team has announced that Pete “Pedro” Cumming from Warsash, Southampton (UK) will be joining the crew.

"He is a man with a passion for the extreme sports. From sailing, snowboarding and mountain biking, he’s a guy who has a thrill for anything outdoors!

"He has the competitive drive running through him, inspiring him to take on the thrills of sports — snowboarding, mountain biking, and of course, sailing. But it’s not just the thrill that interests Pedro, it’s also the challenge. He enjoys putting himself to the test, and the Volvo Ocean Race is the perfect place for the thrill-seeking maniac!

Pete “Pedro” Cumming - the newest Scallywag - photo © Rich Edwards | Volvo Ocean Race

"Pedro currently holds 9 sailing world records, which includes the “Fastnet” Course Record (Cowes to Fastnet Rock to Plymouth) at 27 hours and 42 minutes, the Outright record for the fastest crossing of the Pacific in 3 days 16 hours, and many more. He has been part of the RORC Caribbean 600 races, and was given Line Honours and held the course record in 2015 and 2016.

"Outside of his racing lifestyle, Pedro became a sailmaker and looks after sailing programmes for other teams.

"Everyone in Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag would like to welcome Pedro onboard for Leg 8: Itajai to Newport, of the 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race!"

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204392/Volvo-OR-Fish-sails-on-with-his-Scallywags

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nonsense..one floating platform...look at the size of the Exclusion Zone..it's ex Itajai coastal shrimp grabbing traffic and maybe some oil left overs like that. Hence not designated, just a danger zone in the SI's.

Is there an echo in here or didn't you read past  "welcome back Herman"?

34 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Is there an echo in here or didn't you read past  "welcome back Herman"?

I think it may be an echo simply replicating my struggle against adversity since I was born as opposed to Herman, born of Dutch royalty.

I found myself the only son of a Columbian single mother who only had one eye, one leg, and to boot was a prostitute with a pet Aligator called Sanchez, who was afforded more love than I got.

I also endured a que of my mothers  boyfriends who had a perchant for buggery, so I learnt  at a very early age to keep my left hand up my bum and the right one free for hand shaking. That got very confusing when we travelled to India where I kept forgetting to swap hands.

So I don't know about the echo you speak of, however all I can say is I'm glad both Herman and I turned out so normal.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

This makes it very real, this did happen and he is not coming back and that is a bloody shame. 

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Hi all,

First thanks to @Volodia for contacting @clean to unban me. Got kicked in January without warning or reason, probably by the Editor for reasons unknown. I missed sharing with you all the stuff that happened in the infamous leg with a MOB, mast overboard and the close call win by Bouwe who finally got his mojo back.

Nice to see you back dude!  Glad to see somebody finally got this corrected.

Interesting Live. Have to rewatch for details about Sophie though. Torben and Martine (Brazilian announcer on arrival called her "Teeny"?) worth a watch, and the teaser about Bice re sails should be good.

Thanks, Boomer.

• Like 1

On Live, I enjoyed Xabi suggesting that MAPFRE was trying to separate from DF, but DF likely will follow them the entire race. Pretty sure on the leg to Auckland, neither boat wanted to separate from the other. 

• Like 1

First update for the leg from team AkzoNobel's OBR, Brian Carlin:

A light and pleasant start to Leg 8 from Itajaí. It's been one of the tamer starts to a leg which I believed was welcomed across the fleet, certainly on board TAN

After the little inshore battle course, it was straight line sailing, COG at 100 easterly and the debate begins onboard: "how long on the MHO?" Simeon says, Crew replies: we look good for now - same angle, same speed says Justin. (Simeon then turns to [me] and says, "20 mins left of my watch, bet they will change their minds before then.")

Of course, sailors are just indecisive, they are looking for the smallest gains and so the sail wardrobe is discussed, wind building, it's time for J1 - all sailors up and off they settle into a drag race of miniature gains on the competition.

This is all that's happened to be honest - it's been a very pleasant start to this leg - there are boats to the left and right of us, all pushing for gains - all slightly lifted to 085 COG with the wind increasing to 19 TWS, (03:00 UTC). All patiently waiting to swing North towards the north east of Brazil.

Who goes first? where and when is the time? (CFR-IMY)