southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

Impressive dongers

The way they catch plancton to make oil and feed their engine is very smart

They really deserve to be in 1rst rank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Came home from dinner out and wow - Akzo and Vestas are struggling. Vestas was already struggling this morning but sure looks like Akzo lost a lot of ground.

Don't understand why they persevered getting headed on port for so long before tacking ...looks as though they both were obsessed with wanting to be to weather and hung on expecting a lift that never was to be. 

Trailing to leward is not a nice place.

On 4/22/2018 at 2:39 PM, EYESAILOR said:

MAPF : They still have an edge 

TBRU : Just because I respect Bouwe so much for his leadership and contribution to the VOR and I want him to go out a podium winner. Secretly, down in my heart I would love Bouwe to win the whole thing but I realize this is unrealistic.

DFRT :  Still have an edge but its gets whittled away each leg

AKZO:  Best of the rest, now that Vestas is off the pace.  Finding their inspiration and cohesion as pre-race problems fade into the distance. CN is on eof best watch captains in the race.

VESTAS :  Mast tune slows early progress. SciFi navigation keeps them in the picture until they find their pace in second half of the leg   

TTOP:  They challenge TRBU, AKZO and VESTAS all the way up the coast but dont quite close the deal on this long leg.

SHKS :  To a huge welcome in Newport.

REDBOATS : Sailing to form. Still have an edge.

TTOP staying in the game.......not only challenging TRBU, Akzo and Vestas but ahead of them.....for now. Hope I am wrong about the long game...but...

TBRU is not getting between the two red boats yet. It looks like form is triumphing over hope. But it hasnt got tricky enough yet.

AKZO is not shown that they are best of the rest so far but the middle pack are all close.

SHKS is carving their own path to a huge welcome in Newport. Its like Libby and Witt deliberately dont listen to the position updates on the other boats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stief said:

Herman, any idea if your old posts will be reinstated too?

Hi Stief, they seemed to have gone. I will ask Clean if he can get those out of the bin. It is be something like the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind if your history is deleted like that.

• Like 1

DF found a cloud or flat spot and tacked, MF follow, Scally may be far enough left to get around it.  

6 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

DF found a cloud or flat spot and tacked, MF follow, Scally may be far enough left to get around it.  

well,

the wind shift occurs for many others
DF was very prompt to tack,
Despite seeing DF, Mapfree was a bit late to tack
But well better than vestas and akzo
(I guess they were playing cards or something)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

I see you're back Herman.  First post and it's correction. :D

Hi SC, old habits :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Clouds moving in from the northt east

Nice Pic. Cloud action on the menu for the coming week or so. They seem to the trail the fleet going NE.

AZ and VS got spanked while Dee and BR seem to be on an ok line.  Scally lifted 20+

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think it may be an echo simply replicating my struggle against adversity since I was born as opposed to Herman, born of Dutch royalty.

I found myself the only son of a Columbian single mother who only had one eye, one leg, and to boot was a prostitute with a pet Aligator called Sanchez, who was afforded more love than I got.

I also endured a que of my mothers  boyfriends who had a perchant for buggery, so I learnt  at a very early age to keep my left hand up my bum and the right one free for hand shaking. That got very confusing when we travelled to India where I kept forgetting to swap hands.

So I don't know about the echo you speak of, however all I can say is I'm glad both Herman and I turned out so normal.

QED & something with yin and yang 

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think it may be an echo simply replicating my struggle against adversity since I was born as opposed to Herman, born of Dutch royalty.

I found myself the only son of a Columbian single mother who only had one eye, one leg, and to boot was a prostitute with a pet Aligator called Sanchez, who was afforded more love than I got.

I also endured a que of my mothers  boyfriends who had a perchant for buggery, so I learnt  at a very early age to keep my left hand up my bum and the right one free for hand shaking. That got very confusing when we travelled to India where I kept forgetting to swap hands.

So I don't know about the echo you speak of, however all I can say is I'm glad both Herman and I turned out so normal.

That could explain quite a bit, thanks.

And gooooo Scally.......

Where exactly is the nav station? Does it change side of position or move in any way for different tacks?

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, horatio_nelson said:

Where exactly is the nav station? Does it change side of position or move in any way for different tacks?

Thanks 

Fixed.  Starboard.  Down the ladder and a hard right.

premium-technology-on-the-volvo-ocean-65

volvo-ocean-race-boat-graphic-lg.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Fixed.  Starboard.  Down the ladder and a hard right.

premium-technology-on-the-volvo-ocean-65

volvo-ocean-race-boat-graphic-lg.jpg

Not so. It rotates on the centerlne.

2 minutes ago, onedesignracing said:

Not so. It rotates on the centerlne.

You mean gimbled?

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

You mean gimbled?

No. The entire apparatus rotates on a centerline axis so that the seating can always be on the desired I(windward) side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, onedesignracing said:

No. The entire apparatus rotates on a centerline axis so that the seating can always be on the desired I(winward) side.

Huh.  Thanks.  You think you know someone(thing).  I can't recall ever hearing that after all these years.  I see the post now.

VOR65_nav_area_courtesy_VOR_Roman_aPanbo

• Like 2

The OBR's station isn't so nice either. Have to physically move the gear. 

I remember Bernard Stamm's Open 60 that had all his paraphernalia in crates on a track that swung in a semi - circle from star - port so that he wouldn't have to move it all by hand.  I thought was ingenious at the time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Huh.  Thanks.  You think you know someone(thing).  I can't recall ever hearing that after all these years.  I see the post now.

Yeah, I could not figure out how the Nav team was always on the windward side from the raw content until I did the mental math. Only two options. 1) Have an identical setup on both sides of a center-line wall which made no sense at all for obvious reasons or 2) Rotate the wall 180 degrees and have folding seating so there is room to make that happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onedesignracing said:

Rotate the wall 180 degrees and have folding seating so there is room to make that happen.

I've never seen the nav station from that angle without someone sitting in it.  I assumed it was fixed with all that wiring on the bulkhead.  Never paid too much attention.  Anyway, makes sense.

Hats off to Dongfeng (yes, I'm a fan). Solid approach. Good boat speed, good planning and strategy, and sticking to it (no scally wagging). Very good decisions so far. Stick to the plan and use your boat speed.

(Been gone for a while, did not know what to say, so I just splattered out what I thought. Sorry if I offended anyone off limits)

• Like 4

Some potential compression patches shortly appearing up front, other than that once the leaders start tacking over to port, not a lot of joy for the 3 backmarkers to look forward to.

Vendée Globe IMOCA 60 designs could be adopted for the next Volvo Ocean Race

Negotiations are advanced into adopting the IMOCA 60 class rule used for solo and short-handed ocean races for the next fully crewed round the world race...amid rumours the Volvo Race may be for sale...

Final negotiations are underway between the IMOCA class and the Volvo Ocean Race (VOR) to adopt the IMOCA 60 as the design the next fully crewed round the world race.

An announcement is expected to be made before the end of the VOR race in June.

Proposals for the race to adopt the IMOCA 60 rule (formerly Open 60) used in the major solo and short-handed ocean races such as the Vendée Globe and Route du Rhum been discussed for several years. The IMOCA box rule, which has incorporated developments such as wingmasts, canting keels and now foils, is the most successful and enduring rule in ocean racing, and has led to a vigorous secondhand market for these one-off designs.

An agreement could make it possible for teams to do both races with comparatively minor modifications to an existing or new yacht. It would also reduce VOR team costs by whittling down crew numbers; an IMOCA 60 is considered fully crewed with four or five people.

VOR has declined to comment on the discussions at this stage.

An agreement would supersede the concept of a ‘Super 60’ one-design for the VOR announced by former CEO Mark Turner last year. It would have been adaptable for the Vendée and other IMOCA events, but at a high cost – the design had a bigger mast, longer keel and trim tabs. Turner quit the race last September among rumours that the Volvo board had baulked at the costs of creating the new one-design fleet.

The adoption of the IMOCA 60 would mark a big change for the Volvo Race, which moved to a one-design and operates strict rule management and centralised refit and maintenance. The IMOCA rule is democratically decided on by the class association, and anyone who owns a yacht in class automatically becomes a voting member – it cannot be controlled by commercial interests, past skippers or a race organiser. Many skippers own their yachts, and so have a vested interest in ensuring boats evolve (winners need a faster boat), but not so radically that the secondhand value is diminished.

Alex Thomson, who is on the IMOCA class board, says the vote to allow the VOR to adopt the rule was “nearly unanimous. Only three out of 80 were against it.

“We talked about it with VOR and we expect some announcement, but the ball is firmly in their court.

“The IMOCA rule has the only sustainable ocean racing fleet in the world – and it works.”

Safer and greener

Thomson says the next VOR would benefit from a greater number of entries; the race struggled to get seven this time, and a number are said to be non-commercial. “Loads of teams in IMOCA would have an ambition to do the VOR,” he says. “And I can tell you from our side that any IMOCA skipper that wants to do the VOR is already selling it, especially now Barcelona World Race is gone. It is another race in our calendar that has more history and is more valuable.”

Thomson, also president of the class’s technical committee, has encouraged other changes to the class, such as the use of new radar technology he believes will make racing safer. He has worked with Raymarine to extend the use of software that will turn a radar on and off at regular intervals to ‘keep watch’ if a skipper is asleep or on deck, and alert them to target via an external alarm.

The IMOCA rule is also being changed to incentivise skippers to use renewable energy. Until now, designs were measured excluding fuel weight, but including solar panels or hydro generators, effectively penalising renewable energy sources in performance terms. Now the rule has been changed so that devices providing energy from the sun, wind or water are removed from the measurement, but fuel is counted. “This should open up electric and hybrid engines,” says Thomson.

He agrees that managing a class that spans solo and fully crewed races, each following very different routes, could be a challenge and says: “We need to think if this design will be substantially different and how to cap costs. Until we know the route of next VOR, it is hard to think what boats will be like. If the next VOR route is very different then it’s very much a possibility we will see boats designed just for that, but this is something the class recognises and we want to keep boats close together.

“The best way this works is if one platform works for both with minor modifications and are not too far away from each other.”

Volvo Race for sale?

Meanwhile, the Volvo Ocean Race could be close to being sold, according to several sources close to the event. We understand that at least two companies are undertaking due diligence checks before making a potential bid.

The race is currently jointly owned by Volvo Cars and Volvo Group, and that joint ownership may be set to split. Volvo Cars is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding, while Volvo Group, often referred to as AB Volvo, whose products include busses, construction vehicles and marine engines, remains a Swedish owned company based in Gothenburg.

The race is currently headed up by Richard Brisius, who is also CEO of the company running Sweden’s bid to host the Winter Olympics in 2026.

Read more at http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/vendee-globe-imoca-60-designs-adopted-next-volvo-ocean-race-114319#hPLWHEP3rPaff2Z7.99

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Herman,

I'm a relative newbie but I can vouch that your mates here have mentioned numerous times how much they missed you and wished or were trying for your return. So, as I value their judgment, welcome back! 

Des P

12 hours ago, southerncross said:

FB.  I don't think Clean has read this thread in a while.

I know for a fact Clean has read the Leg 7 quite recently (as in, the last week or 2) because he jumped right in in response to a post of mine saying Marie Riou on DF  said she would "never again" do the VOR after the SO (stating "they all say that"). 

13 hours ago, stief said:

Interesting Live. Have to rewatch for details about Sophie though. 

Said she injured her elbow in Leg 2 and it had been bothering her since than and this was a good leg to give it a rest.

8 hours ago, Potter said:

Brissius quoted a figure of 380,000 prior to the prize giving on Friday night. I think only Auckland has had higher numbers, but it was a longer stopover.

I recall Andy Green saying over 440,000 people had visited the Itajai stopover...

Edited by despacio avenue
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, despacio avenue said:

I know for a fact Clean has read the Leg 7 quite recently (as in, the last week or 2) because he jumped right in in response to a post of mine saying Marie Riou on DF  said she would "never again" do the VOR after the SO (stating "they all say that"). 

Once in a while he'll scan the threads and jump in and out. But I doubt he reads through the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Volvo Race for sale?

Meanwhile, the Volvo Ocean Race could be close to being sold, according to several sources close to the event. We understand that at least two companies are undertaking due diligence checks before making a potential bid.

Thanks SX. Wonder how much fact and how much blowing smoke up everyone's arse. Makes for a good "For Sale" sign though. Bit hard to sell a RTW Race (that probably has negative value) in the classifieds.

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks SX. Wonder how much fact and how much blowing smoke up everyone's arse. Makes for a good "For Sale" sign though. Bit hard to sell a RTW Race in the classifieds.

Posting both threads now that rumors have been floated since Turner left. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a Chinese company.  Then again, with interest from the IMOCA, maybe a French company?

I have worked out Akzo's go slows... Unlucky Paint.

Some fool thought giving the engine a spruce up in Itajai was a good idea.

Engine1.jpg.acc658bfc99d80ec5ee114c9fe109419.jpg

• Like 2

Rumour was consortium from EU. Despite what some expats might say - China isn't going to become suddenly interested in offshore sailing, Japan never did. One child policy, traditional saving values - you spend the money on the kid, send them overseas to uni, buy a car. Offshore sailing is rather hard to get into without growing up near a prime sailing locale.

Xu Lily grew up in Shanghai, but really most of her sailing and training was abroad. The Chinese loved her accomplishments, but it was more about the medal than sailing.

大手大脚 千金一掷

Now, that's a great display/example of excellent team decision-making. (And, yes, I am a fan).

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Rumour was consortium from EU.

That would be preferable.

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

... I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a Chinese company.  Then again, with interest from the IMOCA, maybe a French company?

Without the Volvo name what have they really got to sell? It is not as if there is a restriction to starting a RTW race.

At best a "giveaway" with new owner taking on assets (tangible and intangible) and liabilities alike which combined probably have zip nett value.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Without the Volvo name what have they really got to sell? It is not as if there is a restriction to starting a RTW race.

At best a "giveaway" with new owner taking on assets (tangible and intangible) and liabilities alike which combined probably have zip nett value.

I'd imagine some of the due diligence will focus on what agreements have been made with other vested interested parties for local investment. Spain/Portugal in particular.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm not sure and I'm way too lazy (tired) to look it up but under what circumstances did the Whitbread become the Volvo in 2001?

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

That would be preferable.

Same - it'll be nice to mix up the stops between Cape Town and Auckland a bit. Japan/Taiwan/Singapore can use a little love. 

36 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I'm not sure and I'm way too lazy (tired) to look it up but under what circumstances did the Whitbread become the Volvo in 2001?

Volvo had been writing large cheques for years...was a simple transition including brand name in 2001.

The switch also coincided with Volvo being split and Ford taking over Volvo cars about 8 years later.

Japan would be a nice stopover.  It would be a sight to see the boats pass the Farallons and come in under the Golden Gate as well.

Who would have thought that the reds would be leading?

Early advantage to Dongfeng, but we all know by now that seems to suit Mapfre just fine. TToP and Brunel doing a fine job of hanging in there. Scallywags corner cutting came closer to success than I expected. Still seems like a strategy from a boat that knows they can't match the others speed for speed.

Hoping for at least a podium for Brunel, to keep some pressure on the reds. But, I have a premonition that this may go a bit the way of the first telefonica campaign (twe two boat one) where the momentum never quite swung in their favour. The way I remember that one is that every time they had a strong result and were starting to put pressure on Ericson 4, they then followed up with a just not good enough result. On the other hand, last VOR they had a very strong second half of the race, so there is no real rational ground for this meander.

Bit surprised Akzo does seem to lack a gear in this 10-15 knot wind range.

Looks like deciding when to tack East again will be a complicated decision, considering the big patch of light air out there. A bit of a split would be nice for us race followers, but I guess the reds at least will keep it close.

• Like 2

When to go east is a fun game to play.  Tempting to go now and get inside that massive lift.  But the geographic s-curve at Pt. Frio just begs for a tack in phase with the added pressure.  Pretty narrow race track for a while.

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

...I recall Andy Green saying over 440,000 people had visited the Itajai stopover...

I wish Andy Green had said he slept in that day and couldn't make it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Hi Stief, they seemed to have gone. I will ask Clean if he can get those out of the bin. It is be something like the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind if your history is deleted like that.

Yes welcome back.... Do you honestly not know why you got booted...?

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

VO70's had the same set up (or at least the ones I've been on)

• Like 1

Scally cutting corners could be third time a charm... I hope they can stay focused on the job 

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

When to go east is a fun game to play.  Tempting to go now and get inside that massive lift.  But the geographic s-curve at Pt. Frio just begs for a tack in phase with the added pressure.  Pretty narrow race track for a while.

Not so narrow that Skw can't bang a corner once again!! Great losing tactics 

Thanks all for the kind welcome back messages! It gives me a good feeling to know my posts here are appreciated.

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

Do you honestly not know why you got booted...?

No. Never a warning or message, just like that a ban.

• Like 2

Wow... and yet the likes of Randumb and his socks cause mega shit fights here with not a hint of the boot...... maybe you're too normal .... Try being a cunt next time... it works for some here.

Sorry, carry on

Posted (edited)

Re the recent Quick Fix: Aahhh...the crisp, articulate, intelligent, LOW VOLUME voice of Conrad Colman.

Edited by despacio avenue
word missing

Scallywag certainly paying the price for wanting to be different. Why doesn't Witty just say we aren't fast enough to sail  with the fleet? without luck on their side their game plan is a bad one. 

Conrad's a real asset to the media side of the race. Presents really well, likeable and so knowledgeable.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Scallywag certainly paying the price for wanting to be different. Why doesn't Witty just say we aren't fast enough to sail  with the fleet? without luck on their side their game plan is a bad one. 

There's a lot to go between now and then, including some equatorial park-up light patches, which they've proven to be quite adept at negotiating in the last two crossings.  
But really, at 9nm behind with 4,700nm to go (0.2% deficit), it's a bit early to be calling them out just yet.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, horatio_nelson said:

Conrad's a real asset to the media side of the race. Presents really well, likeable and so knowledgeable.

Jesus-facepalm.jpg

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Why doesn't Witty just say we aren't fast enough to sail  with the fleet?

Why do so if that is the case and why say anything when their routing speaks volumes in that department surely?

It actually went close to paying off until they got a big header yesterday on port tack that sent them south to everyone else's line.

Bit tough there Terra.

• Like 1

Wtf is waaaaandom on about. Conrad's a fucking dude, more than that fucknugget troll will ever be. 

1 minute ago, horatio_nelson said:

Wtf is waaaaandom on about. Conrad's a fucking dude, more than that fucknugget troll will ever be. 

Hint - the ignore button is your friend 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

I have to dip an oar in that one also.

What would that achieve?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hint - the ignore button is your friend 

Yeah, but it's also very satisfying to give the fuckwhit a good slap every now and then.

• Like 4

BRUNEL footing it well with the red heads. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, horatio_nelson said:

Quite apart from blood pressure issues, I'm actually very worried fucknugget is not dressing in an OH&S "sun safe" manner.

IMG_20180422_163034.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

I'd imagine some of the due diligence will focus on what agreements have been made with other vested interested parties for local investment. Spain/Portugal in particular.

indeed. There are lots of contracts signed... 

4 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

indeed. There are lots of contracts signed... 

With Alicante for one. This commitment was discussed by the VOR early on in this edition when there was discussion about changing the amount of time before the next edition, changing the location of the race start, etc. :

• Like 1

Update from Turn the Tide on Plastic skipper Dee Caffari:

It was a busy night as we are sailing in an area with lots of research vessels looking for potential oil sites, in addition to the regular shipping activity. The fleet are still all locked together and within visual sight of each other as we all tacked on the same shift.

We are heading out to the East again before we get headed and tack to go north. The wind is still quite light and a little shifty. We are full upwind sailing and the sea state has some big holes in it heading this direction, but generally the water is pretty flat.

The cloud activity is slowly increasing and we will see more of that as we close the coast again on the other tack.

Dee and Team TTTOP

• Like 1

Sail changes and crossovers.  

• Like 1

The reason why there are fewer Italians in the race.  It's the food!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

With Alicante for one. This commitment was discussed by the VOR early on in this edition when there was discussion about changing the amount of time before the next edition, changing the location of the race start, etc. :

Spot on. Probably their biggest liability on the books and one difficult to unravel without tearing up big money if a relocation/start and race schedule clean sheet was a new incoming  RO's desire. 

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

Vendée Globe IMOCA 60 designs could be adopted for the next Volvo Ocean Race

Negotiations are advanced into adopting the IMOCA 60 class rule used for solo and short-handed ocean races for the next fully crewed round the world race...amid rumours the Volvo Race may be for sale...

Final negotiations are underway between the IMOCA class and the Volvo Ocean Race (VOR) to adopt the IMOCA 60 as the design the next fully crewed round the world race.

An announcement is expected to be made before the end of the VOR race in June.

Proposals for the race to adopt the IMOCA 60 rule (formerly Open 60) used in the major solo and short-handed ocean races such as the Vendée Globe and Route du Rhum been discussed for several years. The IMOCA box rule, which has incorporated developments such as wingmasts, canting keels and now foils, is the most successful and enduring rule in ocean racing, and has led to a vigorous secondhand market for these one-off designs.

An agreement could make it possible for teams to do both races with comparatively minor modifications to an existing or new yacht. It would also reduce VOR team costs by whittling down crew numbers; an IMOCA 60 is considered fully crewed with four or five people.

VOR has declined to comment on the discussions at this stage.

An agreement would supersede the concept of a ‘Super 60’ one-design for the VOR announced by former CEO Mark Turner last year. It would have been adaptable for the Vendée and other IMOCA events, but at a high cost – the design had a bigger mast, longer keel and trim tabs. Turner quit the race last September among rumours that the Volvo board had baulked at the costs of creating the new one-design fleet.

The adoption of the IMOCA 60 would mark a big change for the Volvo Race, which moved to a one-design and operates strict rule management and centralised refit and maintenance. The IMOCA rule is democratically decided on by the class association, and anyone who owns a yacht in class automatically becomes a voting member – it cannot be controlled by commercial interests, past skippers or a race organiser. Many skippers own their yachts, and so have a vested interest in ensuring boats evolve (winners need a faster boat), but not so radically that the secondhand value is diminished.

Alex Thomson, who is on the IMOCA class board, says the vote to allow the VOR to adopt the rule was “nearly unanimous. Only three out of 80 were against it.

“We talked about it with VOR and we expect some announcement, but the ball is firmly in their court.

“The IMOCA rule has the only sustainable ocean racing fleet in the world – and it works.”

Safer and greener

Thomson says the next VOR would benefit from a greater number of entries; the race struggled to get seven this time, and a number are said to be non-commercial. “Loads of teams in IMOCA would have an ambition to do the VOR,” he says. “And I can tell you from our side that any IMOCA skipper that wants to do the VOR is already selling it, especially now Barcelona World Race is gone. It is another race in our calendar that has more history and is more valuable.”

Thomson, also president of the class’s technical committee, has encouraged other changes to the class, such as the use of new radar technology he believes will make racing safer. He has worked with Raymarine to extend the use of software that will turn a radar on and off at regular intervals to ‘keep watch’ if a skipper is asleep or on deck, and alert them to target via an external alarm.

The IMOCA rule is also being changed to incentivise skippers to use renewable energy. Until now, designs were measured excluding fuel weight, but including solar panels or hydro generators, effectively penalising renewable energy sources in performance terms. Now the rule has been changed so that devices providing energy from the sun, wind or water are removed from the measurement, but fuel is counted. “This should open up electric and hybrid engines,” says Thomson.

He agrees that managing a class that spans solo and fully crewed races, each following very different routes, could be a challenge and says: “We need to think if this design will be substantially different and how to cap costs. Until we know the route of next VOR, it is hard to think what boats will be like. If the next VOR route is very different then it’s very much a possibility we will see boats designed just for that, but this is something the class recognises and we want to keep boats close together.

“The best way this works is if one platform works for both with minor modifications and are not too far away from each other.”

Volvo Race for sale?

The race is currently jointly owned by Volvo Cars and Volvo Group, and that joint ownership may be set to split. Volvo Cars is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding, while Volvo Group, often referred to as AB Volvo, whose products include busses, construction vehicles and marine engines, remains a Swedish owned company based in Gothenburg.

The race is currently headed up by Richard Brisius, who is also CEO of the company running Sweden’s bid to host the Winter Olympics in 2026.

Read more at http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/vendee-globe-imoca-60-designs-adopted-next-volvo-ocean-race-114319#hPLWHEP3rPaff2Z7.99

Interesting comment in the second last paragraph that the joint ownership may be set to split.

In actual fact in December Bloomberg and the Daily Telegraph reported that Geely were buying 8.2% of Volvo AB shares which carry over 15% of the voting rights.

8% is a strange amount to buy if plans are not to go further. So while Volvo AB "remains a Swedish owned company based in Gothenburg" that status is less certain than it was before Christmas.

It does mean of course that theoretically Geely has 57% of the decision rights over the future of the Volvo Ocean Race. 

That said I also have heard the race is on the market with interested parties. Let's wait and see.

SS

• Like 1

Akzo might have found some of its Mojo being able to crawl up to weather...don't know why Vestas didn't follow.

More holes out there than a Trump cabinet at the moment.

• Like 1

Christ, that doesn't look to healthy.

Bolzan showing the OBR personal photos is a nice moment. Tho if Brunel were in a position where every point mattered, on a rival team, I'd raise the question re why his apparently personal telecommunications device isn't in the box and sealed.

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Bolzan showing the OBR personal photos is a nice moment. Tho if Brunel were in a position where every point mattered, on a rival team, I'd raise the question re why his apparently personal telecommunications device isn't in the box and sealed.

They can have their phones, but the Sim Card is held by the Race Management, and where it goes on the phone is sealed by RM as well.

• Like 1