southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

Here we go, cloud moving west to east with system, just had not caught up with the eastern boats yet.. this life tracking isn't really good for one's health with 2 weeks to go. When is it going back to 4 updates a day?  

1 minute ago, Admirals said:

Here we go, cloud moving west to east with system, just had not caught up with the eastern boats yet.. this life tracking isn't really good for one's health with 2 weeks to go. When is it going back to 4 updates a day?  

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Admirals said:

6 hour updates sometime today.  It was only 48 hrs Live.

Us @volvooceanrace tracker addicts have only another few hours of it permanently on before it reverts to the normal schedule at 1900 UTC tonight. Get your fix in now!

At this rate DF will be 12 miles behind ( course to next mark) , Akzo (Scally too?) Brunel and Mapfre will be split from DF, TTOP and VS11  by 10 miles or more out of AIS Range and all that in 3 hrs time.. until the next cloud hits.

Let's see how Charles and Pascal respond to adversity this time around after having tasted success with a point advantage over MAPFRE.

Looks like DF, TTOP VS11 are hunted by a hole, trying to escape around the eastern edge, once invested to painfull to head (back) into. Dice are thrown, now it's a matter of waiting and suffering, in the knowledge there will be other times, sooner or later.

Gottta really believe in east to make that tack.  And it's not adverse current since SOG=VMC.  BR tacks too.  Bets on Scally??

Bouwe like his forefathers gaining the weather gauge there, now we all can wonder weather those black powder caskets got passed Brasilian customs....  

Sleepless night due to gusting 80mph winds - very noisy and lots of very tall trees swaying (hoping they don't come down on my house) - so I have been glad to have Live Tracker.  Soon will have to go through LT withdrawal. 

The nice thing for the mid-pack at this point in the race, they're like low general classification TdF riders they get let go to try and aim for stage wins - the top general classification guys (DF/MAPFRE) will pay more attention to each other. Take the risks while you can and get a win.

• Like 1

Report from Vestas 11th Hour Racing navigator Simon Fisher:

We are just about 48 hours into the leg and everyone has settled back into the rhythm of life at sea. Whilst progress is somewhat slower going upwind in 12 knots than downwind in 30, I think I can safely say that everyone is welcoming the change and the stark contrast in conditions that we left back in the Falklands where our last leg came to a premature end. It is more about sun hats now than neoprene balaclavas which seems to be to people’s liking!

The leg so far has been a battle against the ever-changing wind speed and direction and big rain cells that come across the race course and often threaten to re-shuffle the order of things. More than once we have fought ourselves back into contention only to suffer the wrath of a cloud which wipes out our gains of the previous hours. We hope though that over the course of time things will even out over the fleet and we will find as many ladders as we will snakes! 

With the wind speed always changing, we are working hard on finding the best trim and keeping the boat powered up in the short, sharp chop we are sailing through.  We probably have another couple of days of upwind sailing to do before we start to ease sheets and begin reaching up the coast of Brazil. Hopefully the shifting winds will provide some opportunities for gain over the next 48 hours as we fight to get back to the sharp end of the fleet before the reaching begins.

Cheers,

Si Fi

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Admirals said:

Did Brunel just do a broadside leaving Mapfre in their wake?

Looks like Dongfeng will cross ahead.

• Like 1

Just now, southerncross said:

Looks like Dongfeng will cross ahead.

Mapfre and Brunel tacked covering DF they should all join up again before night fall, and yes to those who missed this episode it may very well look like nothing happened, but for TTOP and VS11 taking a flyer eastward...

@VOR keep that live tracker on for at least 48 hours more!

How much does it cost you to do so? Most probably zilch, nada, so wtf? 

• Like 2

Just now, yl75 said:

@VOR keep that live tracker on for at least 48 hours more!

How much does it cost you to do so? Most probably zilch, nada, so wtf? 

Yes.  At least until they're all on that long tack up the coast.

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I'm convinced it's done to force the nav's to get some sleep.

ehr.... the nav's have AIS and renting those SPOT (i think that's what they call them) of the French is quite over my budget so i'm all for forgetting to turn live off until at least Labour day 24:00 there are some 18 million Dutch fans celebrating Kings day (national holiday) on Friday. Would be much saver if some where kept of the streets and half way sober the upcoming very long weekend, that live tracker seams just about the best way of accomplishing that. There might even be a major of some dutch city that may see it that way....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPOT_(satellite)

1 minute ago, Admirals said:

ehr.... the nav's have AIS and renting those SPOT (i think that's what they call them) of the French is quite over my budget so i'm all for forgetting to turn live off until at least Labour day 24:00 there are some 18 million Dutch fans celebrating Kings day (national holiday) on Friday. Would be much saver if some where kept of the streets and half way sober the upcoming very long weekend, that live tracker seams just about the best way of accomplishing that. There might even be a major of some dutch city that may see it that way....

What I meant to say was I was convinced the six hour updates are imposed to give the nav's some sleep.  Don't know what the reason why we/spectators can't keep Live longer.  It was on for three - four days last Leg while TToP came in.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Let's see how Charles and Pascal respond to adversity this time around after having tasted success with a point advantage over MAPFRE.

Indeed, will be very interesting, resilience and self confidence is the name of the game; not only for DF though.

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Indeed, will be very interesting, resilience and self confidence is the name of the game; not only for DF though.

DF adversity lasted all of 2 hours, then seeing they actually gained 3-4 miles and room to spare, Brunel is back where they started trailing 4 miles. Mapfre is behind Brunel now. I'ld offer Charles and Pascal are pretty well pleased with themselves

• Like 3

Well done by Dong Feng there. Still a lot of track to cover though, and with the uncertainty of the doldrums, it could be anyone’s leg. 

• Like 3

Have to say Time Zones are magic. I go to sleep - you lot provide the race commentary over my breakfast. Thanks team. Much appreciated. :wub:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

dirty deeds done dirt cheap

And yet the wheels must turn, while we all wait for someone else to come up with a viable alternative. 

17 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Race Experts use different port/starboard I guess...

Probably north European continental expert. Given that a boat when looking forward is said to be sailing on (leaning over) its port bow (side)  when the wind comes from starboard (over it starboard bow) . So where port and starboard side of the boat are translated the orientation to the wind gets lost as the English (I presume) decided to go with where the wind is coming from and the (AFAIK at least the dutch , german and frisians) northern continental Europeans went with which way the boat is leaning or which side the main boom is on. So if you ever get in to a port vs starboard with the locals there, keep clear when they yell Bakboord, Backbord (which translates to Port) or a like. 

note: IRRS stipulate that English is the official language.. I know for fact however that 'port' is accepted as proper hail locally.  Especially  in sail races not governed by World Sailing.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

What I meant to say was I was convinced the six hour updates are imposed to give the nav's some sleep.  Don't know what the reason why we/spectators can't keep Live longer.  It was on for three - four days last Leg while TToP came in.

The Teams only get 6 hr updates, they don't have access to the VOR tracker, so won't give the Navs anymore sleep either way.

2 minutes ago, Potter said:

The Teams only get 6 hr updates, they don't have access to the VOR tracker, so won't give the Navs anymore sleep either way.

Yes.  The navs get 6hr updates.  If they got them more frequently (they're so obsessive as it is) they'd never get any sleep.  It was argued that if the boats got more updates then we would ...  And has nothing to do with the VOR tracker, hence why the blah blah blah.   Old discussion.  Never mind.

Leaderboard shows TT in last place, but they're probably in first:  14 nm to weather and 13 nm behind DF with better pressure and angle.  If the fleet tacked now, Dee would cross them all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Leaderboard shows TT in last place, but they're probably in first:  14 nm to weather and 13 nm behind DF with better pressure and angle.  If the fleet tacked now, Dee would cross them all.

Saw that.  Then again we can't tell what cloud activity all might be experiencing (I'm no longer Live).

m116702_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

Team AkzoNobel by  Brian Carlin — published Tuesday 24th Apr 2018 @ 21:49 UTC

Clouds form a barrier on the horizon. Leg 8 from Itajai to Newport, Day 2 on board AkzoNobel. 24 April, 2018.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes.  The navs get 6hr updates.  If they got them more frequently (they're so obsessive as it is) they'd never get any sleep.  It was argued that if the boats got more updates then we would ...  And has nothing to do with the VOR tracker, hence why the blah blah blah.   Old discussion.  Never mind.

I wondered how long it would take before this discussion started again..

TWD on the tracker looks like bollocks to me (the graphic not the text). Doesn't make sense for the boats' heading or correlate with other forecasts I can get. 

54 minutes ago, littlechay said:

TWD on the tracker looks like bollocks to me (the graphic not the text). Doesn't make sense for the boats' heading or correlate with other forecasts I can get. 

What are you on about Chas? Looks fine to me...........

pointing.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

TWD on the tracker looks like bollocks to me

TWD graphic is just a forecast that can be up to 12 hours old.

Data is a "one off" snapshot at update time like all data and as that TWD snapshot (if there was one) is computed as you know using AWD, Heading (magnetic) and BS (through water), reality is even further masked by a single reading.

An average shortly before update would be far more useful, a graph showing trend of data even more so.

We might have to wait until the race is re-branded the "House of Foos Flight Around The World" for that tracker improvement.

Today in Australia and New Zealand  is a Public Holiday called ANZAC Day and is.the anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli on the Turkish peninsular during World War I in 1915.

As it was organised by the Brits for their colonial minions, but who didn't turn up themselves, it ended up being a catastrofuck.

While the date is Gallipoli specific from the Great War or WW1 it broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping.

It is a particularly poignant day in Australia on account a small nation from the other side of the world whose men and women jumped on a boat and legged it to help out a large slab of Europe who knew little about their existence and the cost of providing that assistance. 

From a population of fewer than five million, in WW1 over 400,00 Australian men enlisted (or nearly 20% of the male population), of whom more than 60,000 were killed (and still lie in Europe) and over 150,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner.

Lest We Forget.

A02022.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Lest We Forget.

I'll never forget.  Always a big day at school.

Jacko was slang for Johnny Turk BTW.

Lest we forget.

• Like 1

This song is about the catastrofuck described by Jack:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Jacko was slang for Johnny Turk BTW.

There is some debate about that  being Jacko was the name they gave the Turkish artillery pieces at Gallipoli and not Abdul or Johnny Turk being the Turkish soldiers.

Anyway Hebrew origin, pronounced  JJHAEKow and "means he who supplants", which I feel far more comfortable with.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

TWD graphic is just a forecast that can be up to 12 hours old.

Data is a "one off" snapshot at update time like all data and as that TWD snapshot (if there was one) is computed as you know using AWD, Heading (magnetic) and BS (through water), reality is even further masked by a single reading.

An average shortly before update would be far more useful, a graph showing trend of data even more so.

We might have to wait until the race is re-branded the "House of Foos Flight Around The World" for that tracker improvement.

Yep, I have noticed it so far off before. Not sure what model they are using for that graphic but as I said it doesn't match the main models .. could just be that the GRIB updater script has crashed or something. 

The forecast has changed quite a bit. I headed in towards Rio with my virtual boat and just tacked back east. 

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Lest We Forget.

We will remember them.jpg

Canterbury's WW I fallen. They seem to have forgotten the other wars, at least in this installation.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Yep, I have noticed it so far off before. Not sure what model they are using for that graphic but as I said it doesn't match the main models

Volvo Squid and forss is Windy (both based on standard, not proprietary models) however you also need to match forecast time to tracker update time as that is usually a few hours in arrears when you open.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Take some pain now if necessary but get east and out of the flip flop zone.

The Dong nailed it. My fear is Vestas and Dee might have gone one bridge too far as while in more pressure the breeze may be more left. If not could be nice. Either way I think we will be seeing them all come together again up the track. 

This is not a good day to rubbish the contributions of any nation at Gallipoli.

The Poms turned up.

Look up their casualties and, while you're at it, the French.

It wasn't just our clusterfuck.

Let's stick to the sailing.

My last word on this . .  one has to honor such astonishing bravery, but . .

Those OZ and Aotearoa troopers were horribly misused by the Empire. 

And now the Hyper-Power misuses them in Iraq and Afghanistan - they really should GFO 

Here is the fraud that is the Gringo AnZac  

http://www.peacevoice.info/2017/10/17/bring-back-armistice-day-and-honor-the-real-heroes/

And BTW the Vets for Peace navy is looking for a skipper . . see vfp golden rule project

Back to the race !!

15 hours ago, horatio_nelson said:

Wtf is waaaaandom on about. Conrad's a fucking dude, more than that fucknugget troll will ever be. 

I'm on about the 'syrupy talking-up' statement.  Conrad is good value.

Too much vested interest circle-jerks here.

47 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

There is some debate about that  being Jacko was the name they gave the Turkish artillery pieces at Gallipoli and not Abdul or Johnny Turk being the Turkish soldiers.

Anyway Hebrew origin, pronounced  JJHAEKow and "means he who supplants", which I feel far more comfortable with.

Sounds like unsubstantiated Jack-off as usual.  Hebrew FFS.  Jesus fucking Christ!

9 hours ago, Miffy said:

They did well.

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Those OZ and Aotearoa troopers were horribly misused by the Empire. ..

Here is the fraud that is the Gringo AnZac  

http://www.peacevoice.info/2017/10/17/bring-back-armistice-day-and-honor-the-real-heroes/

"Misuse", greater Europe and the French in particular have a different view, it is called "greatfull" and more importantly because they volunteered dickhead, unlike say your Vietnam conscripts. Misuse is a word better directed at the US urging ANZAC's conscripts to go to Vietnam.

I don't know what you mean by ANZAC "fraud" but it clearly is not meant to be complimentary.

This day is Australia and New Zealand's (and to some extent their Commonwealth cousins also like Canada etc) and has absolutely nothing to do with America and nothing to do with America changing the name of Amistice Day.

If I wanted to include America in todays rememberance which I don't, the only reference I can think of is it was last country to join both World Wars, years after they started, yet the best equiped to do so and then only after it bettered their interests or those interests were threatened.

So take your pissant article, jamb it up your decrepit arse and fuck off you disrespectful cunt.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Varan said:

They did well.

Yes, this is how figaro sailors are supposed to behave! I think that they lacked flair in the first part of the race and I now cross my fingers hoping that they keep on with the good work! With the doldrums ahead, many things will happen in the coming days.

I find that these North / South legs are the most interesting to follow as they cross weather system rather than going along with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrygee said:

This is not a good day to rubbish the contributions of any nation at Gallipoli.

The Poms turned up.

Look up their casualties and, while you're at it, the French.

It wasn't just our clusterfuck.

Let's stick to the sailing.

Harry where have I rubbished national contribution? There were also over a dozen countries involved in the Gallipoli campaign. 

The slight was directed soley at remote British generals (lead by Churchill), no wider slight was intended and those decisions from upon high were a catastrofuck, pure and simple.

For you to even have a go at me at making that post simply means you don't understand why I made it being young men making such a sacrifice no matter their origin.

It might be another dry piece of history for you and others, and I appreciate that. However it isn't for many like me, so button the fuck up.

23 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Yes, this is how figaro sailors are supposed to behave! I think that they lacked flair in the first part of the race and I now cross my fingers hoping that they keep on with the good work! With the doldrums ahead, many things will happen in the coming days.

I find that these North / South legs are the most interesting to follow as they cross weather system rather than going along with them.

Consistency wins nine times out of ten. Let's hope for one of those nine. 

While maybe not the place for a shit fight about ANZAC's on a day of remembrance, it is just that - a day of remembrance and of honoring those who lost their lives.  Everyone was touched by the Great Wars.  Lest we forget is right.

• Like 3

m116758_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

MAPFRE by  Ugo Fonollá — published Wednesday 25th Apr 2018 @ 04:12 UTC

Leg 8 from Itajai to Newport, day 03 on board MAPFRE, Juan Vila trimming the runner during a big squall. 24 April, 2018.

• Like 1

Just now, Varan said:

V11 too.

Good gains for Skallywag also. Seems being East also helped especially VS11 and TToP to avoid this cloud battle the others had earlier.

Dong is 10 degrees lower than mapf and brunel

Seems that they are coming down on them to align in front, and cover