southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

59 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess is around now Charles, Xabi and Bouwe are looking at the AIS and having a WTF moment

Charles, Xabi and Bouwe can see each other with the mark 1 eyeball and/or AIS. They can probably see Vestas on AIS. They can't  see TTToP on AIS, except for maybe DFRT if they are lucky. That will not bother Charles and Pascal a lot with current standings.

Very nice work by TTToP and Vestas investing in the east. DFRT only half-heartedly invested in the east but decided to keep eyes on MAPFRE I presume tacking north again yesterday around 17:00. That paid quickly dividend from a DTL of 5 nm to MAPFRE to a lead of 5 nm over the Spaniards. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Charles, Xabi and Bouwe can see each other with the mark 1 eyeball and/or AIS.

Have another coffee Herman...it was not looking at each other FFS, it was TTTP who were outside AIS and this update suddenly revealed. Hence their WTF moment I posted and you replied to. 

11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

And yet the wheels must turn, while we all wait for someone else to come up with a viable alternative. 

yes, the exploitation must continue. at all costs.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Feel sorry for Salter...they are now tail end Charlie by a fair margin and need to get out of there and into Dee and Charlie's slipstream quicksmart to recover some ground.

Things not going their way too often...need to find that black cat.

They reeled some miles in thank goodness..hope the cat was wearing a PFD.

21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Have another coffee Herman...it was not looking at each other FFS, it was TTTP who were outside AIS and this update suddenly revealed. Hence their WTF moment I posted and you replied to. 

Slowly breath in-breath out Jack, and feel the calmness settle in you. Assuming the lotus position while doing this helps a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

TTTOP rocketing along. This could be damaging to my prediction.

Rest easy Sail.

I posted up thread that one reason I like this Nth/Sth leg so much it is a lattitude chasing leg with the the least amount route longitude difference between start and finish. Pano in his post #673 just above reminded me of that old post of mine.

Long way to go but that said, Dee's delta at this point will we worrying the fuck out of everyone when she hits the backing breeze first.

Can't wait to see her grin on the next Raw. SX will wet his pants if she also does a talky.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Slowly breath in-breath out Jack, and feel the calmness settle in you. Assuming the lotus position while doing this helps a lot of people.

No your quoting mistake Herman..own it.. or I will report you :-)

It is a brutal leg already, :o, I’m happy for Dee, but my eyes hurt seeing the Submarine and Painters in the back of the bus. Long way to go and lots of opportunity to catch up but man, oh man.... I need a coffee...:)

31 minutes ago, Elisa said:

. ..I need a coffee...:)

WTF Elisa upon saying goodbye at a our last secret rendezvous in the Maldives, you made it abundantly clear you would never see me again unless I brought along tea, but specifically some dandoline number that only grows on the north summit of Everest around 500' from the summit.

I have just 200' to go.. covered 20' today but no longer have any toes.. does that mean I can just turn back and go to Starbucks?

Just asking ..it is very cold and windy here, I'm worried the rudder might be next.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Charles, Xabi and Bouwe can see each other with the mark 1 eyeball and/or AIS. They can probably see Vestas on AIS. They can't  see TTToP on AIS, except for maybe DFRT if they are lucky. That will not bother Charles and Pascal a lot with current standings.

Very nice work by TTToP and Vestas investing in the east. DFRT only half-heartedly invested in the east but decided to keep eyes on MAPFRE I presume tacking north again yesterday around 17:00. That paid quickly dividend from a DTL of 5 nm to MAPFRE to a lead of 5 nm over the Spaniards. 

Exactly. The race for honours is between dfrt and mapfre. Mapfre almost lost out yesterday big time and were fortunate that dfrt tacked back to cover. Imagine where dfrt would be now if they had carried on to the east. Way ahead of ttop. Lessons learned and hard to see much separation between the two from now until the finish 

That last 1/2 hour sure was a purple patch for Vestas....................

V2 lift.JPG

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

The race for honours is between dfrt and mapfre.Mapfre almost lost out yesterday big time and were fortunate that dfrt tacked back to cover. Imagine where dfrt would be now if they had carried on to the east...

Your probably right and thanks for the reasoning...I must have also missed all the retirements.

a3b700fa16bf7756039c1cb9d1c49266.gif

34 minutes ago, paps49 said:

That last 1/2 hour sure was a purple patch for Vestas....................

And I hope they keep it up to continue pushing at close range TTTOP now that there is some substantial seperation. That combo will give everyone else the shits.

• Like 1

All I have to say about that other matter today is we got shafted professionally. Lest may we forget.

How about having an SA   'twitter group action' towards VOR to have the tracker put back  in live mode ?

• Like 2

Charles must be quite pissed not to have stayed with Dee ...

Wonder if there has been a discussion with Pascal about that and how it went.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Charles must be quite pissed not to have stayed with Dee ...

What like  "you stupid rabbit weasel, le fuckairs have given us le slip!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

"We are fucked ... completely fucked"

That's a fantastic shake-up in the leaderboard.  Talk about snakes and ladders. 
Go Plastic! 
Go V11!

There's plenty of life left in this race.

An impassioned plea to VOR - Give it to us live.  Please?

14 minutes ago, random said:

If the discussion took place, they were in the lead at that time, try to follow a bit ...

8 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

That's a fantastic shake-up in the leaderboard.  Talk about snakes and ladders. 
Go Plastic! 
Go V11!

There's plenty of life left in this race.

An impassioned plea to VOR - Give it to us live.  Please?

That won't work. Even if the boats are blocked from getting the information it would not be possible to police off the boat communication from shore managers, family or friends. So you just have to be patient and wait six hours. 

If the boats had continuous live feed the race would be far more processional. In fact it would be far more interesting if the boats had no idea where the others were for the whole leg like the good old days. But what would the armchair sailors do then? Go sailing? 

9 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

That won't work. Even if the boats are blocked from getting the information it would not be possible to police off the boat communication from shore managers, family or friends. So you just have to be patient and wait six hours. 

If the boats had continuous live feed the race would be far more processional. In fact it would be far more interesting if the boats had no idea where the others were for the whole leg like the good old days. But what would the armchair sailors do then? Go sailing? 

You really shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Not possible to police communication ........that is exactly what they do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boomer said:

Awesome to see that Scally has learned from the last MOB.  Particularly Alex.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, yl75 said:
42 minutes ago, random said:

If the discussion took place, they were in the lead at that time, try to follow a bit ...

So you are talking about a discussion that may or may not have taken place ... and you are suggesting that I keep up?  Mmmmm.

Haven't looked at the tracker since they left, it's getting boring.  I just waiting for the next really stupid predictable thing, one has already happened.  Scally heading into the tropics with crew still wearing black rashies and no safety gear.

This could get interesting for degrees of dumb.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, random said:

Awesome to see that Scally has learned from the last MOB.  Particularly Alex.

Once an idiot, always an idiot.

Go back to your RC toys, ass clown...

24 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

You really shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Not possible to police communication ........that is exactly what they do. 

Are you so sure? Information could easily be passed to the boats with all the pursuit of media.  Race HQ can't monitor every conversation with the boats, let alone if in code. 

5 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Once an idiot, always an idiot.

Go back to your RC toys, ass clown...

How fucking disrespectful to their lost ship mate can you get?  No safety gear on, not even when at the end of that clip, a squall comes through?

So VOR edit stuff but let that fucking obscenity through?  Really?

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, random said:

How fucking disrespectful to their lost ship mate can you get?  No safety gear on, not even when at the end of that clip, a squall comes through?

So VOR edit stuff but let that fucking obscenity through?  Really?

If you think that is disrespectful, then you really are an idiot..... but of course you are just an ass clown troll. 

Go back to your RC and don't forget to wear a life jacket and remain firmly tethered to the shore...

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hop, please resist quoting.

Stop hiding behind the ignore. The idiot gets off on knowing that you and others have him on ignore, it means that he has won against you.

Take him off ignore, ignore him the old fashioned way and in one way or another make it clear that you think of him with the level of contempt he deserves....

Just now, hoppy said:

Stop hiding behind the ignore. The idiot gets off on knowing that you and others have him on ignore, it means that he has won against you.

Take him off ignore, ignore him the old fashioned way and in one way or another make it clear that you think of him with the level of contempt he deserves....

Stopped being duped.  It's the same old tactic of his that he's been using for years in every thread he chooses and quoting/acknowledging the posts only exposes those suckered into his game.  You're wasting your time and no one here is interested in what he has to say.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Ummm...You'll find that onboard communications are heavily policed by race management - To the extreme!  No leaks there, unlike below deck.  

Anyway, it's a mute argument that has been flogged to death here already.     

Just now, Grinning Ape said:

In fact it would be far more interesting if the boats had no idea where the others were for the whole leg like the good old days.

I do agree with that (outside of AIS range of course).

Latest blog from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic: 

We have sailed within sight of Vestas for the last 24 hours having lost sight of the others as we all tacked on the shifts around a huge cloud yesterday afternoon. There was lots of rain, so much we were either going to grow from being watered so much or shrink from excessive water.

We are currently sailing along the outside of an exclusion area, another oil field. The winds are light and the sea state flat. We are still with  Vestas and the others it seems are behind us. Gotta be happy with that!

Life on board is happy. We have been sailing upwind now since the start and I have everyone asking when we are going to be lifted enough to  crack the sheets. I am afraid it will be another 36 hours before that happens and that is only if the wind does what is forecast in the grib file.

Dee and Team TTTOP.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Giving attention to an attention whore seems like the best idea for the troll to stop whoring for attention, It's a flawless plan, good job.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, random said:

Too much vested interest circle-jerks here.

A vest does provide one with greater OH&S (sun protection) and also hide a very unfortunate Pectus Carinatum (pidgeon chest) disfigurement I thought.

Sorry guys, I could not resist.

IMG_20180422_163034.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Are you so sure? Information could easily be passed to the boats with all the pursuit of media.  Race HQ can't monitor every conversation with the boats, let alone if in code. 

Yes I am sure.  And yes they do monitor it all. 

EDIT : you can get all the pertinent information in the SI's go to section 27.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

Yes I am sure.  And yes they do monitor it all. 

No they can't stop cheats...but there is still honour in RTW racing..so winch should stop  drinkin and anyone feeding his addiction.

Blog - 0700 UTC - Snow Leopard and Oranges

Wed April 25 2018

10-11kts Wind Speed: 11-12 kts 22S 39W

Weather: Warm and Tropical. Scattered Clouds. Very Pleasant.

It smells like oranges. That means Bouwe must be on the move somewhere in the darkness down below. He loves the oranges. The boat hasn't started smelling sour yet, which will change in the days to come, but every time someone tears into one of the fresh oranges it sends the most pleasant aroma through the boat.

The snow leopard is sleeping at his desk. That's Andrew Cape. Nina thinks he's more like a wombat. Stout and stubborn. I say snow leopard because they're every photographers dream and extremely reclusive. While Andrew Cape isn't necessarily hard to find, getting a response out of him more than two syllables is probably harder than shooting a snow leopard. Especially if you've never sailed any legs with him. Patience is key. I consider asking him a question but opt to offer him a coffee instead. He says, 'why yes, thanks.' He likes his coffee with a touch of chocolate powder. We've had two interactions this leg and both have been to ask if he wants a coffee.

I go forward to try and find an orange and make said coffee. They're usually hanging in a shopping bag hidden among the foul weather gear, but not anymore. Sad. Maybe Bouwe got the last one. I dig through the food bag and find the gooiest stack of stroop waffles you can imagine. Not as refreshing as an orange but certainly one of the perks of sailing with a Dutch team.

I go to heat up the water for Capey's coffee and make a heartening discovery. The bag of oranges has been moved to under the sink. I never would have found it had I not offered to make the coffee. know for a fact that I won't get any video of the snow leopard, so, all in all, it's a net gain. I have my orange.

I go on deck and Kyle is at the wheel. The night is full of stars and the air is warm. It's dry on deck. Even in the pleasant conditions, I make sure that my emergency strobe light is zipped up in my board short pocket. I ask Kyle how it's going.

"Not good, Greeny," he says. "We're getting hammered. In a battle for the wooden spoon with Akzonobel."

Just a day earlier we had been at the front of the pack and I'd interviewed Kyle about the importance of making it through the day and into the trade winds at the front of the fleet, as the number of passing options decreases once we enter into what will essentially become a northbound procession. Translation, we're screwed an important transition and the crew is going to be a bit stressed.

I bring Capey his coffee and reiterate what Kyle said about the hammering and battle for the wooden spoon, asking if he has anything to add. "Nope, that's about right," says the snow leopard.

When the sun rises I ask Albie and Peter for some input.

"For sure we are not happy because last night we didn't sail very well," says Albie. "We lost a bit. We are still in touch with everyone. We have only Vestas and TTT who took a completely different choice and gained quite a lot and are now 15 nm ahead of us. We are all together with the rest of the fleet and the distances between the boats are very very small. We have to keep pushing."

Peter Burling had this to say:

"We were probably a little late with our peel to the MH0 but I don't think it was a massive one. More that we were on the wrong side of the shift. We haven't had good speed since the MH0 went up so that's been a pain. When we started to peel we were right next to Mapfre. Now they're about 3nm ahead. Yeah, we're probably in last now to be honest. It's alright. It's a long leg but it's also a bit of a shame because we sailed quite well for a while there in the beginning. The main thing is trying to figure out how to make the boat go quicker. It's been awhile since we sailed it in light air."

Fun fact. Team Brunel's average speed was between 19 and 20 knots for the entirety of the last leg, so what Peter mentioned about light air sailing was interesting to hear - especially having sailed the last 1000nm on Turn the Tide on Plastic last leg in sub 10-knot conditions. No question there are a handful of other teams out here who have more recently practiced their light air skills.

I turn to the Snow Leopard to ask if he has time for a quick question - to reflect on the above.

"Um, nope," he says.

Classic Snow Leopard.

OBR Sam Greenfield - Volvo Ocean Race

• Like 5

Tactical battle with the oil and gas Campos Basin

25 / 04 / 2018 | 

East of the exclusion zone where is the oil and gas Campos Basin, the main explored sedimentary basin in Brazil, off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. There are the MAPFRE and the rest of the fleet of the Volvo Ocean Race in this fourth round stage that has just begun.

In the last hours we have seen a lot of action on board the Spanish boat, with showers and storms caused by an action of clouds that have put in check Xabi Fernández as explained in the Olympic, World and America's Cup champion, Blair Tuke, one of the two crew members under 30 aboard the MAPFRE. " We found a line of clouds with storm activity which things difficult for us. We managed pretty well where we were the truth, although we lost a little over Dongfeng, who managed to pass one of the clouds that we could not, so we had to do another route. "

About this has also spoken pattern Xabi Fernandez in his first email of this eighth leg between Itajai and Newport, today sent early in the morning to his team: "We have spent a great action of clouds which, for now Vestas 11th Hour Racing and Turn the Tide on Plastic seem to have taken advantage better, so we've already begun the persecution. "

Indeed, the only patron ship of the fleet, Dee Caffari, is the new overall leader provisional virtually tied with the American Vestas. " It 's not the end of the world, but we lost about Vestas and Turn the Tide on Plastic who managed to slip away and move to the other side. The boat sailed well and much remains ahead , " he adds Tuke.

Meanwhile, the team of Breton Charles Caudrelier, " n ur mates throughout the round", as described by Xabi , are third "only 3.3 miles to windward of us and Brunel is 3.3 miles to leeward so throughout night still fighting for every length , " said the Basque. 

"We are looking for every drop of boat speed we can squeeze. Looking at the AIS, binoculars, compass hand ... that's how we spent the guards trying to see how to be always faster. I see that it will be difficult, with many moments of high tension and decisions to make. "

The last official positions of published (at 15:00 CET Spanish) indicates that the fleet progresses with between 10 and 12 knots of wind ENE.

Moment should follow upwind sailing along this second exclusion zone stage, and will do so until Cabo Frio, where almost already the fleet. Past that point it will be time to engage the trade winds. But for that, there is still some time ....

http://desafiomapfre.com/batalla-tactica-junto-a-la-cuenca-petrogasifera-de-campos/

• Like 1

So are you people working on your class action on twitter to get that tracker live ? Go for it now ! :) I put a msg on all their posts 

Wondering if Dee will take a long hike East again and break from the fleet.  The tip of that Exclusion Zone is still at 39W and the Eastern most point of Brazil is at 35W. 

16 minutes ago, southerncross said:

It's been awhile since we sailed it in light air."

Fun fact. Team Brunel's average speed was between 19 and 20 knots for the entirety of the last leg, so what Peter mentioned about light air sailing was interesting to hear - especially having sailed the last 1000nm on Turn the Tide on Plastic last leg in sub 10-knot conditions. No question there are a handful of other teams out here who have more recently practiced their light air skills.

Interesting from Sam Greenfield, that actually having to deal with the rig issue and dealing with the High Pressure at the end of the last leg could have helped TTTOP in the first few days of this leg. Not convinced, because I think there position is one of routing rather than boat speed, but interesting thinking.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Potter said:

Interesting from Sam Greenfield.....I think there position is one of routing rather than boat speed, but interesting thinking.

You are far too polite Potter ..a routing no brainer

36 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Wondering if Dee will take a long hike East again and break from the fleet.  

Better hurry up before the breeze starts backing... and that is not too far away and where on the inside this side of Salvador is the zone of death.

A tid bit:

Dear Sir,

I write in regard to your article about Emily Nagel published in The Royal Gazette on April 12, 2018. Your second paragraph refers to her as Bermudian. While she is competing in the Volvo Ocean Race with BER on the back of her life jacket, with the express permission of the Bermuda Sailing Association — and while she appears regularly on television as part of the Bermuda Broadcasting Company’s celebration of the achievements of Bermudian athletes — unfortunately, as a result of her status as a permanent resident’s certificate holder, the BSA was informed that she was ineligible to be nominated for one of the Department of Youth, Sport and Recreation’s Sports Awards. 

Her immigration status notwithstanding, Emily’s achievement puts her in a very elite group of international sailors, and I thank you for bringing this to the attention of the readers of The Royal Gazette.

ELSPETH GRAY

Past president

Bermuda Sailing Association

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/letters-to-the-editor/article/20180425/separate-but-equal&template=mobileart

• Like 3

From Anailise Murphy in The Irish Times.

Volvo Ocean Race Diary part 15: It's serene but slow progress

It’s all a long way off and right now, this easy weather is helping me get back into the rhythm of life on-board and the four-on, four-off watch system after a break of what was almost two months in New Zealand.

That holiday allowed me to work on my fitness which took a serious dive since I started this race. In particular, my cardio levels dropped a huge amount and it was very noticeable once ashore doing things like short walks or even climbing stairs.

The cause is the intensity of the watch system, especially in windy weather when you would routinely be called on deck from your bunk. This hugely disrupted sleep pattern has a knock-on effect on maintaining even a basic fitness routine.

Plus, there’s the added complication of how to exercise on a wildly pitching and rolling 65-foot boat.

So, for now it’s all about sailing as fast as possible and look ahead to Newport before the final stages across the Atlantic to home waters once again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/volvo-ocean-race-diary-part-15-it-s-serene-but-slow-progress-1.3473190

• Like 1

It looks like Scallywag is "playing contrarian" every time... Are they going to lose this time what they have gained in the past 2 sched?

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

WTF Elisa upon saying goodbye at a our last secret rendezvous in the Maldives, you made it abundantly clear you would never see me again unless I brought along tea, but specifically some dandoline number that only grows on the north summit of Everest around 500' from the summit.

I have just 200' to go.. covered 20' today but no longer have any toes.. does that mean I can just turn back and go to Starbucks?

Just asking ..it is very cold and windy here, I'm worried the rudder might be next.

Regards the rudder, Jack - as Sir Ed famously once said on that very slope, "Just wrap some more shirt around it".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You are far too polite Potter ..a routing no brainer

Yep. Not surprised the snow leopard had bugger all to add.

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Oh sweetie, that is very kind of you, but since we’ve all just left the ultimate coffee country (if it is too early for Caparinhas that is) I find myself quite fond of the black fuel. :)

Scally further cutting the corner as expected. So what do we think, will they have a chance of succeeding? 

15 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Oh sweetie, that is very kind of you, but since we’ve all just left the ultimate coffee country (if it is too early for Caparinhas that is) I find myself quite fond of the black fuel. :)

I’ve been to Brazil 6 times and never had good coffee. I suspect that they export the best. To my country, for example :) 

the caipirinhas, on the other hand...they make good ones and it’s never too early! ;) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Scally further cutting the corner as expected. So what do we think, will they have a chance of succeeding? 

Zero. Banging corners not the best tactic, especially when it is the wrong corner 

Scally sure is good for entertainment and weather info.  They're lifted 40 degrees but 2-3 knots less pressure.  The lift makes a tack painful, so they're committed at this point.  Big question is whether they're far enough offshore to avoid the divergence zone and get lifted enough to get around Recife.  Present course of 20 will do that.

Looking forward to the fleet tacking by the next sched and who claims which lanes.  Another vote for live-always please VOR.

• Like 2

Pressure gradient is about 1-2 knots increase per 100 nm offshore, so 1-2% / 10 nm.  900 nm to Recife so 1% gain is 9 nm.  Scally took a bad bet, but not a horrible one. 

I guess it depends on the weather...

Go TTOP!! 

4 minutes ago, Chasm said:

A TTOP win would be nice. Still way too early in the game though.

Last team without a stage win?