southerncross

VOR Leg 8 Itajaí to Newport

Maybe it takes a few days to settle in but it seems to me that there is negligible difference in boat speed. Akzo and Vestas had slow starts but seems  to be able to hold their own now. The jury is probably still out on Scally as her boat speed is clouded by her sailing the shortest distance and mostly in different conditions.

Maybe when conditions change we will suddenly see a speed differential reappear?

On 2018-04-23 at 5:41 PM, southerncross said:

[Chris N on driving]

Been waiting to hear Chris N on driving. Takeaway was 'looking 30º ahead for the exit' and 'have to rely on instinct.' 

11 hours ago, southerncross said:

[The Green Flash]

Saw about four this winter: Height and binoculars helped. Watching was a welcome part of happy hour for a few weeks. 

Average speeds: TBRU and AKZO had the best recently. TTOP and VS11 had the best 24 hr runs. Takeaway: routing is king. 

Team At position Instantaneous Average since last report
DTL Gain/Loss 24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG COG SOG VMG
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 0.0 nm 1.7 nm 163.6 nm Recife 22° 12.9 kts 12.7 kts 28° 7.8 kts 7.6 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 1.8 nm 0.1 nm 169.7 nm Recife 21° 12.3 kts 12.1 kts 40° 8.2 kts 7.3 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 2.0 nm -2.0 nm 150.3 nm Recife 24° 5.8 kts 5.8 kts 28° 7.1 kts 7.0 kts
Team Brunel 2.2 nm 10.2 nm 155.5 nm Recife 11° 14.0 kts 14.0 kts 17° 9.0 kts 9.0 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 3.5 nm 2.8 nm 159.7 nm Recife 18° 13.4 kts 13.3 kts 30° 8.1 kts 7.8 kts
Team AkzoNobel 4.8 nm 8.1 nm 159.8 nm Recife 18° 13.1 kts 13.1 kts 23° 8.8 kts 8.7 kts
MAPFRE 5.1 nm 4.2 nm 160.5 nm Recife 15° 13.3 kts 13.3 kts 29° 8.3 kts 8.0 kts

Really good catch-up. Once again, best place to follow the race thanks to all the combined efforts.

• Like 7

Looking at the tracker it appears Vestas hasn’t had to change course in a long while. Straight and fast. 

Are they all fighting an opposing current?

Scally just found a 6 knot hole

Dee grabbed 10 fucking miles to weather on that cloud.   And has great pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Woods Rider said:

Woody this far off the coast should be bugger all. If we had some speed through the water data we would definitely know

850 mile dragrace to Recife now. So in terms of angles, the East/West split should not be significant. Having said that, I guess being East is closer to where the breeze is from. Let's hope that is good for TToP. Next 60 odd hours should mainly be about boatspeed. (Warning, thread-drift on this forum should be expected during this period.)

• Like 2

Re one of the best Lives in a while (thanks Boomer), Bice's details on loads and sails and maintenance and masts and the relative toughness of the boats was really worth rewatching. 

https://youtu.be/jMqJnE0kTxY

Best part was TTOP's  Spedding on Dee's skipper style and their campaign goals.

Speaking of cleanup campaigns, looking forward to when the TTOP approach merges with Boyan Slat's. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

is that table your work or published?

Hi Jack. Info comes from latest spreadsheet (some columns hidden to fit the post). Can be seen in most RaceExperts updates at the bottom, but very tough to read that small print.

24 minutes ago, stief said:

Info comes from latest spreadsheet

Well done. Also I can see the whole table of this one on my phone, usually they are chopped off.

I wondered if TToP would buck East again and they did.  I like TToP's line for Recife.

32 minutes ago, Zander said:

850 mile dragrace to Recife now. So in terms of angles, the East/West split should not be significant. Having said that, I guess being East is closer to where the breeze is from. Let's hope that is good for TToP. Next 60 odd hours should mainly be about boatspeed. (Warning, thread-drift on this forum should be expected during this period.)

Thread drift prevention tip: I just watched documentary called ‘Losing sight of shore’ on Netflix. Good watch. Four girls rowing from San Francisco to Cairns...., quite a few similarities to offshore sailing: the physical (heavy exercise, sleep deprivation, endless freeze dried food, the hot, wet and cold); the mental (boredom, resilience, despair, camaraderie); the technical (navigating, weather)... but no sails. Though cookies these girls. 

• Like 2

Okay, 3 things, the posts about these latitude heavy legs being the best: absolutely on the money! fascinating to watch, & I agree I like what TTOP is doing angle/pressure wise, & lastly, without a doubt my wallpaper choice is having an effect! (thanks again rennie!).

11 hours ago, horatio_nelson said:

Seems a bit rash from Scallywag assuming there's more breeze to the east

Indeed, when comparing windspeed for the most western boat (grey for SHKSW) to the most eastern boat (blue for TTToP), east is best since the evening of April 25th. 

TTToP versus SHKSW.png

• Like 3

Everyone is in 15-18 knots and Scally is in 6 knots         oh dear

What is the current waypoint that the tracker is using?

3 hours ago, Woods Rider said:

Looking at the tracker it appears Vestas hasn’t had to change course in a long while. Straight and fast. 

Yes probably - The Brazil current. 

20 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Everyone is in 15-18 knots and Scally is in 6 knots         oh dear

That is only up to last update and where next boats east Brunel and Akzo had the most gains. So Scally probably cloud fucked by a whisker. Next update due now might be worse or better?

PS.Update In.

High diddle diddle right down the middle is the fast lane.

Brunel had a very painful hour between 1 and 2 UTC it seems. Either a big cloud or something more serious.

16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is only up to last update and where next boats east Brunel and Akzo had the most gains. So Scally probably cloud fucked by a whisker. Next update due now might be worse or better?

PS.Update In.

High diddle diddle right down the middle is the fast lane.

Yep Vestas in the fast lane and stretching .. interesting

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe when conditions change we will suddenly see a speed differential reappear?

StupidPost_zps90b31f9c.jpg~original

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Zander said:

Brunel had a very painful hour between 1 and 2 UTC it seems. Either a big cloud or something more serious.

image.png.ed13eb91d86bca6c62898b0a3b458dde.png

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, stief said:

Re one of the best Lives in a while (thanks Boomer), Bice's details on loads and sails and maintenance and masts and the relative toughness of the boats was really worth rewatching. 

https://youtu.be/jMqJnE0kTxY

Speaking of cleanup campaigns, looking forward to when the TTOP approach merges with Boyan Slat's. 

Love the comment " Stop treating them like rental cars"

• Like 3

Playing ketchup as Stief says, the power just came back on after a day and a half with none (thus no heat, no lights, no wi fi, winds gusting over 80 mph and a couple at 104) and, no cell phone as charger not recharged; roof damage; car trapped in the garage; snow, sleet, a mess); nothing besides the unsettling sound of howling wind and trees, chain saws and generators (not mine...).  Echoing what Stief said in the above and also loved BE Goat's quoted comment from Bice, it was a very informative Live; answered a lot of questions I have had throughout the race.""

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Love the comment " Stop treating them like rental cars"

But that's what they are.

• Downvote 1

Christ it's more like a game of snakes and ladders!

25 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Playing ketchup as Stief says, the power just came back on after a day and a half with none (thus no heat, no lights, no wi fi, winds gusting over 80 mph and a couple at 104) and, no cell phone as charger not recharged; roof damage; car trapped in the garage; snow, sleet, a mess); nothing besides the unsettling sound of howling wind and trees, chain saws and generators (not mine...).  Echoing what Stief said in the above and also loved BE Goat's quoted comment from Bice, it was a very informative Live; answered a lot of questions I have had throughout the race.""

OK DA. Sounds like a hell hole over there at the moment. I'm thinking high summer must be pretty amazing, right?

4 hours ago, Elisa said:

Thread drift prevention tip: I just watched documentary called ‘Losing sight of shore’ on Netflix. Good watch. Four girls rowing from San Francisco to Cairns...., quite a few similarities to offshore sailing: the physical (heavy exercise, sleep deprivation, endless freeze dried food, the hot, wet and cold); the mental (boredom, resilience, despair, camaraderie); the technical (navigating, weather)... but no sails. Though cookies these girls. 

Ellsie, you could have found the one with the couple. She preferred to row au naturale.

Thread drift .

Someone in marketing needs to be sacked!

Today I briefly entertained the idea of getting a Scally T shirt. No such beast exists.

The Volvo store only has Vestas, sailrace.com have a rip off for $60US and thats it??

Fucking unbeleivable!

V11HR has their mojo working again.

5 hours ago, stief said:

Very kind of you, but I think Bicey is always good value.

Hard to get the full information across succinctly, too often I find myself rambling.  There is a very good book by an US Naval Admiral, called 'Turn the Ship Around'; it describes the method of having Leader-Leader, rather than Leader-Follower. It is often tougher, and more time consuming, in the short term but tends to have greater gains in the long term.

I think the team results can show this; despite only having the team together for 6 weeks before the start they have had consistent improvement. There will no doubt be blips over the next few legs, as you cannot rely on the competition taking themselves out, but if you compared Lisbon In Port section to Auckland or Itajai then it is clear they are gaining on the fleet.

Is Boyan Slat the kid that came up with the Gyre clean up booms that they are now testing?  He was talking at one of the VOR Ocean Summits earlier in the race (can't remember if it was Cape Town or Alicante). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

OK DA. Sounds like a hell hole over there at the moment. I'm thinking high summer must be pretty amazing, right?

Oh yeah, the long days are the best (as I am sure NorBowGirl and Elisa can attest as well). Out on the water late at night, whether in a sail boat, or a kayak, or a fishing boat, still light out.  Lots of wildlife. Playing golf at midnight.  

22 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Thread drift .

Today I briefly entertained the idea of getting a Scally T shirt. No such beast exists.

The Volvo store only has Vestas, sailrace.com have a rip off for $60US and thats it??

Fucking unbeleivable!

Check out a team's web site. For example, I was interested in a DF t-shirt. They didn't have any, but they did have other paraphernalia e.g. (pricey) jackets, etc for sale. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Thread drift .

Fucking unbeleivable!

Volvo store should have TTTOP, Brunel and Vestas as they are all clothed by Musto. They would not be selling any other team kit, as Musto are the official supplier. That said, I think Musto have sold out of a lot of the Blue TTTOP kit. No idea if they will do more as it is a custom colour so requires a minimum order, but I hope so.

Zhik sell DFRT and Akzonobel (why would you!) kit.

Mapfre sell their HH kit through their website.

I have a feeling that Scallywag buy the kit they need and get it branded as needed. They are not particularly interested in Marketing, so I don't suppose there is anyone who can be sacked!

Edited by Potter
added Mapfre

Partial thread drift but it derives in part from articles posted  up thread regarding IMOCA and the VOR:

Here is what I have been mulling over the past couple of days while I was cut of from all forms of communication (side comment: I got along quite well for many decades without cell phones and laptops, and still do when off the grid; but the past couple of days suddenly things come to a standstill in my life when I can't use them), and my mulling was enhanced by Nick BIce's comment about how the Volvo OD 65s have held up so well in this race, as compared to the 70s: After reading  posts in this thread on Leg 8, the one on Leg 8, as well as other OR and other SA forums, I simply don't understand :

1) why the VOR has had difficulty getting a greater number of participants (and in this edition, as has been discussed up thread here and elsewhere, a couple of teams have admittedly struggled to find sponsors, notably Brunel which was short over $1m at the start of the race); and the number of teams participating has decreased dramatically in recent editions; 

2) why the Vendee Globe is so much more popular (if indeed it is; certainly there are huge crowds at the start);

3) why there seems to be a belief that there would be more interested participant teams with sponsors if there was one boat(used) for both races; 

Part of the interest for me with the VOR is the teams, as individuals crew members and how they function together; and the close competition due largely to the OD. In the VG, while there are many more boats, they are single -handed, and many miles, days or more apart. In the most recent edition of the VG there were many boats that DNF after suffering significant damage, some scary situations where  it was dicey whether the boat would even get within heli support/rescue range; , major damage of many boats, and all the top finishers but one had foils. 

31 minutes ago, Potter said:

Very kind of you, but I think Bicey is always good value.

Hard to get the full information across succinctly, too often I find myself rambling.  There is a very good book by an US Naval Admiral, called 'Turn the Ship Around'; it describes the method of having Leader-Leader, rather than Leader-Follower. It is often tougher, and more time consuming, in the short term but tends to have greater gains in the long term.

I think the team results can show this; despite only having the team together for 6 weeks before the start they have had consistent improvement. There will no doubt be blips over the next few legs, as you cannot rely on the competition taking themselves out, but if you compared Lisbon In Port section to Auckland or Itajai then it is clear they are gaining on the fleet.

Is Boyan Slat the kid that came up with the Gyre clean up booms that they are now testing?  He was talking at one of the VOR Ocean Summits earlier in the race (can't remember if it was Cape Town or Alicante). 

Boyan Slat is the kid who came up with the clean up booms that are now starting to be deployed to clean up the Pacific ocean gyre.  Just saw an article about that with a picture. Brilliant idea. Gives one hope. As does the campaign of this race, TTOP, etc.

I was wondering if anyone who reads this thread has any experience with those floating Garbage Pails that are being marketed for use in marinas; they float around and such up trash. I recall reading about them as a sponsor of a foiling catamaran regatta that is taking place in various places in Australia; Scalloway crew member Parko I believe was part of a two person crew on one of the favored boats in a race that was streaming online last month (he had taken that leg off).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Potter said:

Volvo store should have TTTOP, Brunel and Vestas as they are all clothed by Musto. They would not be selling any other team kit, as Musto are the official supplier. That said, I think Musto have sold out of a lot of the Blue TTTOP kit. No idea if they will do more as it is a custom colour so requires a minimum order, but I hope so.

Zhik sell DFRT and Akzonobel (why would you!) kit.

Mapfre sell their HH kit through their website.

I have a feeling that Scallywag buy the kit they need and get it branded as needed. They are not particularly interested in Marketing, so I don't suppose there is anyone who can be sacked!

What a stupid set up??? Then again it is the VOR.

• Like 1

image.png.d02239f3d10f7137c5b1d7f9948eb137.png

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Boyan Slat is the kid who came up with the clean up booms that are now starting to be deployed to clean up the Pacific ocean gyre.  Just saw an article about that with a picture. Brilliant idea. Gives one hope. As does the campaign of this race, TTOP, etc.

I was wondering if anyone who reads this thread has any experience with those floating Garbage Pails that are being marketed for use in marinas; they float around and such up trash. I recall reading about them as a sponsor of a foiling catamaran regatta that is taking place in various places in Australia; Scalloway crew member Parko I believe was part of a two person crew on one of the favored boats in a race that was streaming online last month (he had taken that leg off).

A similar thread on SA:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boomer said:

Tracker is Live now

They listen!  They have heard us!  It is live! 

Rejoice for 24hrs.

• Like 3

Good Live, and Live tracker for next 24 hrs. Good.

Irony: Chris N having to check instruments to figure out speed issues. Sometimes instinct is not enough.

• Like 6

Just now, stief said:

Irony: Chris N having to check instruments to figure out speed issues. Sometimes instinct is not enough.

Ha ha.  I knew you'd catch that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Oh yeah, the long days are the best (as I am sure NorBowGirl and Elisa can attest as well). Out on the water late at night, whether in a sail boat, or a kayak, or a fishing boat, still light out.  Lots of wildlife. Playing golf at midnight.  

Check out a team's web site. For example, I was interested in a DF t-shirt. They didn't have any, but they did have other paraphernalia e.g. (pricey) jackets, etc for sale. 

It's spring, and already the sun is up until 21:30. It takes a while to adjust to - for example you'd wait until dark to have dinner. But after the adjusting, all is good and I love it :)

And Swallywag do have team t-shirts, but they are sold by sailracing.com and a bit pricy....I find your request a little strange, I don't expect the VOR to sell team t-shirts. That's a whole lot of logistics and very little money to make. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Partial thread drift but it derives in part from articles posted  up thread regarding IMOCA and the VOR:

That's a BIG topic DA.  You would get more input by starting a new thread as there are quite a few that follow the Vendee but not the VOR.

Latest blog from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic: 

m116898_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

Yesterday was all about making short term losses to make long term gains. That is what I was telling the team as we pushed out to the East while it was easy to gain miles in that direction. We were happy with our positioning and then we had a big squall cloud come over. We went into it with a big header while we were sailing in sight of Vestas and Dongfeng. We were all headed and then we tacked away to try and get round the outside of the cloud.

After all, we had made all this effort to get east we did not want to lose it all in a cloud. We lost AIS and visual on the other boats and it was not until we saw the position report that we realised we made made the split as big as we had. It was no big drama as we believe we will have slightly more pressure out further offshore and we hope less thunderstorms along the coastline. However, this morning we are dealing with a sequence of rain clouds as best we can. Some have a shift in them and some carry just an increase in pressure. We hope the latter are only for us so we can accelerate on our competitors while in the cloud. Fingers crossed for some lady luck in the clouds we encounter on this leg.

We believe, with the exception of random cloud activity, that this is us on starboard for a very long time. We want to make ground northwards towards our destination and we all feel we have done enough sailing in the non making direction! we shall see!

Dee and team TTTOP.

• Like 2

LEG 8, DAY 4: EASING SHEETS AND HEADING NORTH TOWARDS RECIFE

It makes you realise just how big Brazil is, when you see how many days it is taking the Volvo Ocean Race fleet to travel along its coastline. 

Admittedly this has been a windward leg so far but there are still 700 miles to go to Recife, as the crews work their way through day four at sea.

The generally benign conditions are continuing but as the boats put the Campos oil field behind them and the western edges of the windless centre of the St Helena High, they are now sailing into stronger easterly winds. This means they can ease sheets and put the foot down as they head towards the northeastern corner of Brazil.

There is an interesting west-east spread in the fleet with Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag furthest west, up to 80 miles west of Turn the Tide on Plastic, the easternmost boat.

On board Dongfeng, the crew is working hard to keep speeds up with the wind varying from 12-15 knots, requiring constant headsail changes. The breeze has also been shifty and clouds and rain showers are always lurking, ready to trap the unwary.

The crew has been reflecting on how the various different nationalities combine to work as a team. Dongfeng Race Team includes French sailors, Chinese, New Zealanders, Dutch, and one Australian/Brit, in bowman Jack Bouttell.

“On board Dongfeng we have a lot of different nationalities, plus also sailing backgrounds. I think everyone on the boat has a different way of doing things,” said Jack.

“I think we have found quite a good balance to make it work for everyone. Everyone has quite a good attitude and everyone suggests something, then we will find the best way to do it. There are no egos or anything like that which is really nice,” he added.

Here’s Daryl Wislang’s take on it: “It can be challenging at times to get the right message across, but we have all worked really hard on that during the training and understand each other and get on really well together.”

And finally the mighty Chen Jinhao, also known as Horace; “In China if we are from different parts of the city, we speak different languages. We will do one thing altogether. It is not about the different countries. Everybody learns, everybody fights.”

https://www.dongfengraceteam.cn/news/view/easing-sheets-and-heading-north-towards-recife

• Like 1

BOUWE BLOG #68

The right direction
Finally, we start moving in to the right direction. It looks like for the time being that the windspeed and direction have stabilized, so no tacking anymore.....hopefully. Last night we had a big rain cloud, where all of sudden the wind increased to 30 knots and changed 90 degrees left. So we had to tack, we left all the sails were they were on deck and as well the down below stack, as it was more important to get quickly on the correct tack than to lose valuable time and direction by first doing the stack. It was short-lived, only 20 minutes, but Akzo, who was just to the right of us and behind didn't got any of this and they gained 6 miles. Frustrating, to look at the AIS tracker, but we laughed it off. The right attitude is there, let's get them back.

King Neptune
Nina is getting a bit worried about King Neptune 's visit, even that it is still days away and the guys love to wind her even more up. Will make sure she doesn't lose all her hair :-)

Cheers,

Bouwe

• Like 2

Quick drift @NBG Are Torquil MacLeod's  Anita Sandstrom murder mysteries set in Malmö popular there? Keep getting reminded of your posts with the frequent Swedish snus and coffee comparisons. /drift off.

Time to catchup on SC's findings. 

image.png.70ccce12cea3f2508cd98d26d94f9eef.png

• Downvote 1

There was a question about monitoring communication between shore and boats.

• Like 3

Leg 8: daily report – Thursday April 26. AkzoNobel

April 26, 2018 

The seemingly relentless struggle for supremacy between the seven Volvo Ocean Race teams on Leg 8 from Itajaí, Brazil to Newport in the United States has continued unabated over the last 24 hours.

The good news for team AkzoNobel is that through a combination of persistence, grim determination and skill, the crew of nine sailors have clawed their way back into contention as the fleet heads north towards the equator.

After languishing 20 nautical miles (37 kilometers) off the lead yesterday morning, overnight the team closed to within five nautical miles (nine kilometers) before dropping back to 10 nautical miles (19 kilometers) behind leader Vestas 11th Hour Racing at the 0700 UTC (0900 CEST) today. 

The gains have not come from any sort of bold breakaway move but rather from tenacity and making the most out of every opportunity presented by the ever-changing wind and weather conditions. 

“Over the last 24 hours we have had a few opportunities with clouds, so we have been doing a lot of manoeuvres,” explained helmsman and sail trimmer Martine Grael. “I don’t think a lot of people have slept a whole lot.”

Strange perhaps for an open ocean leg such as this that takes in two hemispheres and is expected to take almost three weeks to complete, the racing has been remarkably tight with the crews engaged in a series of close quarters hand to hand combat skirmishes and they jockey for position. 

“It’s been a continuous onslaught of tacking with these other boats,” said bowman Brad Farrand. “It’s been tack for tack all morning and it looks like it’s going to continue the same.”

Despite significantly closing the gap on the leaders since yesterday the team AkzoNobel sailors are painfully aware that they are yet to find the real sparkle they need in their boat’s upwind performance if they are to push all the way to front.

As a result they are taking every chance they get to squeeze more speed from their sail trim and general setup – including stealing ideas from the opposition. 

“We try multiple iterations all the time because in this upwind stuff we haven’t been consistently strong and we need to work that out,” admitted watch captain Chris Nicholson (AUS).

“The margins are so close in terms of speed differences, that if you see something different on one of the other boats then you give it a try and try to evaluate it.”

At 0700 UTC today team AkzoNobel was in fifth position in the Volvo Ocean Race fleet, a little over five nautical miles away from a trio of teams – fourth placed Dongfeng Race Team (CHN), third placed Mapfre (ESP) and second placed Turn the Tide on Plastic (UN).   

https://www.teamakzonobel.com/article/leg-8-daily-report-thursday-april-26

• Like 1

Latest Averages for the drag race. Don't see a problem with AKZO speed.  DFRT meeting their 0.1 speed goal over MAPF; TTOP gained over VS11. 

Team At position Average since last report
DTL Gain/Loss 24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 0.0 nm 0.0 nm 223.2 nm Recife 17° 13.2 kts 13.2 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 1.4 nm 2.7 nm 230.1 nm Recife 18° 13.7 kts 13.6 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 3.2 nm 1.1 nm 234.9 nm Recife 18° 13.4 kts 13.4 kts
MAPFRE 3.2 nm 0.9 nm 236.4 nm Recife 18° 13.4 kts 13.3 kts
Team AkzoNobel 8.6 nm 1.1 nm 229.8 nm Recife 18° 13.4 kts 13.4 kts
Team Brunel 11.6 nm -0.4 nm 227.2 nm Recife 19° 13.2 kts 13.1 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 17.5 nm -2.5 nm 216.0 nm Recife 16° 12.8 kts 12.8 kts
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, stief said:

Good Live, and Live tracker for next 24 hrs. Good.

After 4 days, 96 hrs, (approx.), and a north to south distance of 11 miles first to last, the difference in speed is 0.12 kn. I don't think Nico could even instinct  that...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

with the exception of random cloud activity

Speak of the devil . . .

Anyway, here's what the forss/Squid/ Windy cloud tops layer shows for the next 6 hrs:

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 7.49.37 AM.png

• Like 2

DF is currently getting a lift ! Go DF GO ! :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

What is this?

think that's In less than 10 minutes . . .  might be interesting. Can never predict what questions kids will ask.

While we wait:  TBRU tweet

Peter and Capey are sitting at the Nav desk a few snippets of their conversation:
Capey: "We've been going higher and faster than Akzo the past 10 minutes"
Peter: "It's annoying how shifty the breeze is."

14 minutes ago, stief said:

Capey: "We've been going higher and faster than Akzo the past 10 minutes"

I feel sorry for the OBR Sam that he has to listen in on conversations to get actual sentences out of the snow leopard that do not relate to coffee :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Stief, I got no sound or is that just my PC?

1 minute ago, Herman said:

volume is off by default--just have to click the sound icon button (works here). Not missing much, though.

Just now, Herman said:

Did you hit the sound button?

Click on the sound icon in the lower right corner.

Yes I've noticed that Rennie - Vestas took a major course change, hope they didn't lose a rudder or something worse, rather then taking a knock.

2 minutes ago, boomer said:

Yes I've noticed that Rennie - Vestas took a major course change, hope they didn't lose a rudder or something worse.

Cloud thingie?

• Like 1

Too bad the tracker (especially live it seems) is such a resource hog (gets my fans spinning after a few minutes, on a macbook pro) due to the windy.tv thing in fact, but I don't understand why on a phone it is not really the case