Does anyone know an alternative to epifill https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/au/boat-paint-products/fillers-and-epoxy/epifill avalible in Europe? I need a white epoxy filler for use below the whaterline fairing the keel as well as small fixes on the hull - preferrably easy to sand :-) any hints on where to buy epifill in europe would also be super!

West Systems make a white pigment paste (#501) that will whiten just about any mix.

The West epoxy tint thins the epoxy a little bit but if you are fairing a keel/hull using the easiest available sanding option (West 410) it's about unnoticeable, and the 407 filler is also pretty easily sanded.  I've used 407 where there are significant gaps to be filled in the fairing process.  The West filler chart is the go to source for figuring out exactly what you need. 

10 hours ago, fsiljelof said:

Does anyone know an alternative to epifill https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/au/boat-paint-products/fillers-and-epoxy/epifill avalible in Europe? I need a white epoxy filler for use below the whaterline fairing the keel as well as small fixes on the hull - preferrably easy to sand :-) any hints on where to buy epifill in europe would also be super!

how big an area are you fairing?   small boat / big boat?

It's not a huge project, I have a 38 foot Prima, last year i sprayed the hull in white durepox and I sail her without antifoul, I have a few minor low spots that I'd like to fill as "touch ups" without a new primer as it is "new" and intact. This year I'll redo the keel, colour is less important as I'll spray her with a durepox primer on top anyway, but surely I'll run in to the same problem again (finding spots to fill after priming) so I'm thinking there is really no reason to go with anything else than white unless I can't find a white one. 

2 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

The West epoxy tint thins the epoxy a little bit but if you are fairing a keel/hull using the easiest available sanding option (West 410) it's about unnoticeable, and the 407 filler is also pretty easily sanded.  I've used 407 where there are significant gaps to be filled in the fairing process.  The West filler chart is the go to source for figuring out exactly what you need. 

Thanks - a very usefull chart!

9 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

West Systems make a white pigment paste (#501) that will whiten just about any mix.

Thanks - sounds like a good alternative, even if the epifill sounds like a more direct solution.

Last thing don't forget to barrier coat over the faired - epoxy area.  West makes an additive (422?) for this but I haven't used it yet, have only used InterProtect. 

The WEST System products are good, but there are some generic alternatives.

WEST 410: cures to a light tan colour.  Applies nicely and easy to sand.  System 3 sells a similar product called Quikfair.  Cures more quickly than 410.  However I like the fact you can mix up 410 to the consistency you desire whereas Quikfair has only one ratio or consistency.

WEST 407: cures to a reddish, brown colour. I've never actually used 407, however I believe these are simply phenolic micro balloons, which I have bought and used for about half the price.  Sands easily but not as easy as 410.  Qualitatively seems to have a denser or harder finish than 410.

If you have to have white, there are 3M Glass Bubbles and Q-Cells.  Typically cabosil is added to thicken it to the desired consistency.  However the more cabosil the harder it will be to sand.

I discovered recently that it is possible to get both of these products thick enough to apply vertically without adding cabosil - but you have to add a lot and you end up with a fairly dry mix.  The Q-Cells apply more smoothly than the glass bubbles which have a gritty feel when applying them with a spreader.  With such a dry mixture bonding may be an issue and edges seem to have a tendency to chip off.  More so with the glass bubbles than Q-Cells, but I've only been experimenting with them and haven't tried them out on the boat yet.

Both the glass bubbles and Q-Cells are quite inexpensive - about $10/gallon.

Micro balloons, glass bubbles, and Q-Cells can be purchased from here: http://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html

However that company is in Florida, so probably of no use to you other than to see the array of generic fillers they have.  I am sure you can find a local supplier for most or all of those products.

• Like 1

I use the system 3 glass microspheres mixed with either West System or TotalBoat 5:1 epoxies to make a really nice white fairing mix.  It sands out very nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-3145S16-White-Microspheres/dp/B00W90R2CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523982361&sr=8-1&keywords=system+three+glass

Where strength is needed, use their silica mix

https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-3105S16-Silica-Thickener/dp/B013K2WU9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523982500&sr=8-1&keywords=system+three+silica