• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Gouvernail

AERO’s D Day Liberation Invasion

Recommended Posts

Next weekend (14-15) the promoters of the AERO are invading the Dallas Laser Fleet home waters. 

Min recent years the White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet. The No Coast Championshios will be held on White Rock in May.

AERO is going for the big prize. They know, if Dallas falls to AERO, the singlehanded Sailing game in Texas will soon be contested in AEROs

The plan is to bring FIFTEEN charter boats and host a free Regatta. 

The last active NA-ILCA District Secretary within 1000 miles has already signed up to Sail an AERO.

Meanwhile, the winner of the Radial Fleet at the 35th annual Easter Laser Regatta is furious because she ripped her Sail and had to be towed in when her top section broke. She wanted to buy the new legal composite section but LP refuses to sell those in Texas. 

The 2nd place finisher in the Laser fleet also broke his top section and tore his sail. He, however, is already considering joining the AERO fleet. 

Will LP start supplying boats and parts? Will LP be forever wiped  from North American markets? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gouv, I don't think it's quite that dramatic.  The person who is hosting the event at the new sailing venue, Viridian, is a member of the Laser fleet at White Rock.  This is a chance to get the White Rock guys over to see the facilities and have a fun time.  That is not to say that the Aero isn't the end all, be all; for all I know, it is.  What I do know is that the Laser fits what we have going on at White Rock.  And  it's a pretty good thing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what people think of the boat. Do they have US builder or do they have to come across the pond? I think without a US builder, it will be hard to keep growth at any kind of pace. But then if you're going to upgrade, I would go all the way to the Musto (though it has been very hard to get Ovington to provide enough boats) or the RS-700. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet.

How many boats regularly race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bill4 said:

I actually meant how many Lasers - Gouv was saying it is their largest and most active fleet. This one just shows Aeros.

Gouv who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait! It gets worse.

A few weeks after the army of British built RS Aeros in Dallas invade Texas by land from the north,  an even bigger fleet of RS Aeros will be landing 300 miles to the south in Galveston for the 2018 KO Sailing RS Aero North American Championship.

Can the Texas Laser sailors resist this double onslaught?

Where will they make their last stand?
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Wait! It gets worse.

A few weeks after the army of British built RS Aeros in Dallas invade Texas by land from the north,  an even bigger fleet of RS Aeros will be landing 300 miles to the south in Galveston for the 2018 KO Sailing RS Aero North American Championship.

Can the Texas Laser sailors resist this double onslaught?

Where will they make their last stand?
 

 

What's your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VWAP said:

What's your point?

Geeze. Do I have to have a point? I thought this was Dinghy Anarchy.

I thought the whole point in being an anarchist is there is no point in being an anarchist.

But I do like Johnny Cash,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it. That's explains most of your posting and  why you are here.

 

Never heard of Johnny Cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Got it. That's explains most of your posting and  why you are here.

 

Never heard of Johnny Cash. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that music from the 40's ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Laser fleet at White Rock in Dallas is the most consistently active in Texas.  We average about 15 boats on any given Wednesday, but 20 boats are not uncommon.  The record for our Wednesday night fleet size is 33, so we are attempting to top that this season.

We have benefited from having younger, former college sailors join our ranks who come to us primarily through our loaner program.  Our fleet has two boats that may be borrowed to entice new members.  This has been very beneficial to the club as those younger folks who come to the club through the Laser are now getting involved in the Flying Scot fleet as well.  The Flying Scot fleet at Corinthian Sailing Club is one of the strongest in the country, so it's a good situation.  Club's happy, Lasers are happy, and Flying Scots are happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TeamFugu said:

It will be interesting to see what people think of the boat. Do they have US builder or do they have to come across the pond? I think without a US builder, it will be hard to keep growth at any kind of pace. But then if you're going to upgrade, I would go all the way to the Musto (though it has been very hard to get Ovington to provide enough boats) or the RS-700. 

Even if it costs more to import them, the target customer - masters sailors with disposable income - will gladly pay the premium to be part of an active fleet.

Lasers are also made in the UK, but that is a moot point as none seem to be available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Next weekend (14-15) the promoters of the AERO are invading the Dallas Laser Fleet home waters. 

Min recent years the White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet. The No Coast Championshios will be held on White Rock in May.

AERO is going for the big prize. They know, if Dallas falls to AERO, the singlehanded Sailing game in Texas will soon be contested in AEROs

The plan is to bring FIFTEEN charter boats and host a free Regatta. 

The last active NA-ILCA District Secretary within 1000 miles has already signed up to Sail an AERO.

Meanwhile, the winner of the Radial Fleet at the 35th annual Easter Laser Regatta is furious because she ripped her Sail and had to be towed in when her top section broke. She wanted to buy the new legal composite section but LP refuses to sell those in Texas. 

The 2nd place finisher in the Laser fleet also broke his top section and tore his sail. He, however, is already considering joining the AERO fleet. 

Will LP start supplying boats and parts? Will LP be forever wiped  from North American markets? 

 

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

Really?!?!? In stock!! Great!!! My cash flow problem is still from the same two boats as last fall but it seems resolution is actually happening this month!!! If I am soon sailing with a new Sail and top section it will be. Evsuse I bought stuff from you!!!

 

If I get anywhere close to my asking price for our currently finished totally refurbished Pearson  26 you will also be selling an AERO both to me and a friend who keeps saying , “whenever you buy an AERO I am buying one the same day.” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

Hey KO - do you have Laser and Sunfish boats available for sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

Doesn't he work for you as your PR guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VWAP said:

Doesn't he work for you as your PR guy?

Nope. Although I do admire the KO operation and enjoy the company of each of the folks involved who I have met. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty slick! But results may vary. It is suggested you try it out on someone else's car (same make...) before your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Pretty slick! But results may vary. It is suggested you try it out on someone else's car (same make...) before your own.

any video with putting it on the car by himself

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VWAP said:

any video with putting it on the car by himself

 

Not the same guy, but you can see how it's done.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what your point is, he had a different rack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be cool, but as the Afro wearing large gentleman at the QT said "you're not as cool as a Mini towing a British sailboat at 80 cool!"

miniaero.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I am no advertising guru, but my bet is the good folks at RS would appreciate it if you mature gents with family vehicles (mini notwithstanding), ladies bicycles and shopping mall music would stop marketing their very cool little boat. What's next - an Eddie Bauer edition? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Ok, I am no advertising guru, but my bet is the good folks at RS would appreciate it if you mature gents with family vehicles (mini notwithstanding), ladies bicycles and shopping mall music would stop marketing their very cool little boat. What's next - an Eddie Bauer edition? :P

I think the guy with a "ladies bicycle" is actually a French RS Sailing dealer delivering an RS Aero to a happy new customer.
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tillerman said:

Nicolores.jpg

Oh come on.  I did that with my Laser,  using my tricycle,  when I was like 5 years old.  And I had to do that in the snow, uphill, both ways.  :P

Aeros are for old has beens or never weres... oh wait, uh nevermind.. how much are they again? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bill4 said:

Ok, I am no advertising guru, but my bet is the good folks at RS would appreciate it if you mature gents with family vehicles (mini notwithstanding), ladies bicycles and shopping mall music would stop marketing their very cool little boat. What's next - an Eddie Bauer edition? :P

Got that right. Sad to see who they have as their PR reps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, torrid said:

Even if it costs more to import them, the target customer - masters sailors with disposable income - will gladly pay the premium to be part of an active fleet.

Lasers are also made in the UK, but that is a moot point as none seem to be available.

The problem isn't so much cost as Ovington doesn't produce many and a friend of mine who used to be the USA representative couldn't get boats for pending orders shipped to the US. He has since dropped the sponsorship and it has gone to someone else because he couldn't meet commitments. Lasers are built in most major countries so sourcing boats in the US isn't a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7 April 2018 at 3:54 AM, VWAP said:

any video with putting it on the car by himself

 

RS Aero Singlehanded Car Topping - Up

I actually had my new RS Aero on and off the roof about 4 times last week but it took until Friday to get it videoed.

It is not such a big deal. A taller vehicle would be more awkward but still possible.

Having several helpers is preferable but sometimes you are on your own. This method provides flexibility when car topping either at home or late at the sailing club when nobody is about. I actually find this method easier than a straight two man lift as you are only lifting half the boat at a time and the other end is fixed so you are not committed to lifting in sync.

If you struggle with a two person lift then this 'one end at a time' method with two people together may be preferable.

This is with the RS Sailing supplied trolley that is well suited to having the RS Aero upright on the roof with its triangular frame and under gunwale supports. Tie boat to trolley at bow and amidships first. Then they both lift as one and you only have to then tie the trolley to the roof bars / car.

Tools: One sailing kit bag and one picnic rug.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6 April 2018 at 10:00 PM, bill4 said:

Pretty slick! But results may vary. It is suggested you try it out on someone else's car (same make...) before your own.

It is only the first scratch that hurts. After that you are liberated.

I am OK now I use a larger rug, earlier carpet was marginal size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, True North said:

Gouv, I don't think it's quite that dramatic.  The person who is hosting the event at the new sailing venue, Viridian, is a member of the Laser fleet at White Rock.  This is a chance to get the White Rock guys over to see the facilities and have a fun time.  That is not to say that the Aero isn't the end all, be all; for all I know, it is.  What I do know is that the Laser fits what we have going on at White Rock.  And  it's a pretty good thing....

Any race results from the event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, VWAP said:

Any race results from the event?

I am curious how the "invasion" went as well. Get any traction?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to miss due to work, but my understanding is that it went well.  Blowing pretty hard, and everyone was using borrowed boats from the club hosting the event.  One boat got damaged when an extension got separated from the tiller, and the boat wound up on shore in the confined spaces, so racing got cancelled thereafter.  By all accounts, it was really fun.  People were blown away about the weight, or lack thereof, of the boat compared to Laser.  Not sure we are all going to ditch the Laser, though....

That said, we hope we will get to go back in the future, perhaps under more sedate conditions when we won't be stressing over boats.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, True North said:

I had to miss due to work, but my understanding is that it went well.  Blowing pretty hard, and everyone was using borrowed boats from the club hosting the event.  One boat got damaged when an extension got separated from the tiller, and the boat wound up on shore in the confined spaces, so racing got cancelled thereafter.  By all accounts, it was really fun.  People were blown away about the weight, or lack thereof, of the boat compared to Laser.  Not sure we are all going to ditch the Laser, though....

That said, we hope we will get to go back in the future, perhaps under more sedate conditions when we won't be stressing over boats.

 

Thanks for the update on the first wave of the invasion, boat broke, ended up on the beach, rest of boats couldn't handle increasing wind so they all retreated, waiting for sedate conditions to restart the invasion. 

Good to hear they had fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now