Gouvernail

AERO’s D Day Liberation Invasion

Next weekend (14-15) the promoters of the AERO are invading the Dallas Laser Fleet home waters. 

Min recent years the White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet. The No Coast Championshios will be held on White Rock in May.

AERO is going for the big prize. They know, if Dallas falls to AERO, the singlehanded Sailing game in Texas will soon be contested in AEROs

The plan is to bring FIFTEEN charter boats and host a free Regatta. 

The last active NA-ILCA District Secretary within 1000 miles has already signed up to Sail an AERO.

Meanwhile, the winner of the Radial Fleet at the 35th annual Easter Laser Regatta is furious because she ripped her Sail and had to be towed in when her top section broke. She wanted to buy the new legal composite section but LP refuses to sell those in Texas. 

The 2nd place finisher in the Laser fleet also broke his top section and tore his sail. He, however, is already considering joining the AERO fleet. 

Will LP start supplying boats and parts? Will LP be forever wiped  from North American markets? 

Gouv, I don't think it's quite that dramatic.  The person who is hosting the event at the new sailing venue, Viridian, is a member of the Laser fleet at White Rock.  This is a chance to get the White Rock guys over to see the facilities and have a fun time.  That is not to say that the Aero isn't the end all, be all; for all I know, it is.  What I do know is that the Laser fits what we have going on at White Rock.  And  it's a pretty good thing....

It will be interesting to see what people think of the boat. Do they have US builder or do they have to come across the pond? I think without a US builder, it will be hard to keep growth at any kind of pace. But then if you're going to upgrade, I would go all the way to the Musto (though it has been very hard to get Ovington to provide enough boats) or the RS-700. 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet.

How many boats regularly race?

1 minute ago, bill4 said:

I actually meant how many Lasers - Gouv was saying it is their largest and most active fleet. This one just shows Aeros.

Gouv who?

Wait! It gets worse.

A few weeks after the army of British built RS Aeros in Dallas invade Texas by land from the north,  an even bigger fleet of RS Aeros will be landing 300 miles to the south in Galveston for the 2018 KO Sailing RS Aero North American Championship.

Can the Texas Laser sailors resist this double onslaught?

Where will they make their last stand?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Wait! It gets worse.

A few weeks after the army of British built RS Aeros in Dallas invade Texas by land from the north,  an even bigger fleet of RS Aeros will be landing 300 miles to the south in Galveston for the 2018 KO Sailing RS Aero North American Championship.

Can the Texas Laser sailors resist this double onslaught?

Where will they make their last stand?

What's your point?

28 minutes ago, VWAP said:

What's your point?

Geeze. Do I have to have a point? I thought this was Dinghy Anarchy.

I thought the whole point in being an anarchist is there is no point in being an anarchist.

But I do like Johnny Cash,

• Like 1

Got it. That's explains most of your posting and  why you are here.

Never heard of Johnny Cash. 

43 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Got it. That's explains most of your posting and  why you are here.

Never heard of Johnny Cash. 

• Like 1

Is that music from the 40's ?

The Laser fleet at White Rock in Dallas is the most consistently active in Texas.  We average about 15 boats on any given Wednesday, but 20 boats are not uncommon.  The record for our Wednesday night fleet size is 33, so we are attempting to top that this season.

We have benefited from having younger, former college sailors join our ranks who come to us primarily through our loaner program.  Our fleet has two boats that may be borrowed to entice new members.  This has been very beneficial to the club as those younger folks who come to the club through the Laser are now getting involved in the Flying Scot fleet as well.  The Flying Scot fleet at Corinthian Sailing Club is one of the strongest in the country, so it's a good situation.  Club's happy, Lasers are happy, and Flying Scots are happy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TeamFugu said:

It will be interesting to see what people think of the boat. Do they have US builder or do they have to come across the pond? I think without a US builder, it will be hard to keep growth at any kind of pace. But then if you're going to upgrade, I would go all the way to the Musto (though it has been very hard to get Ovington to provide enough boats) or the RS-700. 

Even if it costs more to import them, the target customer - masters sailors with disposable income - will gladly pay the premium to be part of an active fleet.

Lasers are also made in the UK, but that is a moot point as none seem to be available.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Next weekend (14-15) the promoters of the AERO are invading the Dallas Laser Fleet home waters. 

Min recent years the White Rock Fleet has become Texas mainstay most active and largest fleet. The No Coast Championshios will be held on White Rock in May.

AERO is going for the big prize. They know, if Dallas falls to AERO, the singlehanded Sailing game in Texas will soon be contested in AEROs

The plan is to bring FIFTEEN charter boats and host a free Regatta. 

The last active NA-ILCA District Secretary within 1000 miles has already signed up to Sail an AERO.

Meanwhile, the winner of the Radial Fleet at the 35th annual Easter Laser Regatta is furious because she ripped her Sail and had to be towed in when her top section broke. She wanted to buy the new legal composite section but LP refuses to sell those in Texas. 

The 2nd place finisher in the Laser fleet also broke his top section and tore his sail. He, however, is already considering joining the AERO fleet. 

Will LP start supplying boats and parts? Will LP be forever wiped  from North American markets? 

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

4 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

While you know that we here at KO are strong supporters of the growth of the Aero fleet in Texas, we also have composite Laser sections in stock as well as new sails on the way.

Really?!?!? In stock!! Great!!! My cash flow problem is still from the same two boats as last fall but it seems resolution is actually happening this month!!! If I am soon sailing with a new Sail and top section it will be. Evsuse I bought stuff from you!!!

If I get anywhere close to my asking price for our currently finished totally refurbished Pearson  26 you will also be selling an AERO both to me and a friend who keeps saying , “whenever you buy an AERO I am buying one the same day.” 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

Hey KO - do you have Laser and Sunfish boats available for sale?

21 hours ago, jgils said:

Gouv,

Doesn't he work for you as your PR guy?

4 hours ago, VWAP said:

Doesn't he work for you as your PR guy?

Nope. Although I do admire the KO operation and enjoy the company of each of the folks involved who I have met. 

Pretty slick! But results may vary. It is suggested you try it out on someone else's car (same make...) before your own.

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Pretty slick! But results may vary. It is suggested you try it out on someone else's car (same make...) before your own.

any video with putting it on the car by himself

9 hours ago, VWAP said:

Not the same guy, but you can see how it's done.

Not sure what your point is, he had a different rack.

15 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Not sure what your point is, he had a different rack.

You may be cool, but as the Afro wearing large gentleman at the QT said "you're not as cool as a Mini towing a British sailboat at 80 cool!"

miniaero.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I am no advertising guru, but my bet is the good folks at RS would appreciate it if you mature gents with family vehicles (mini notwithstanding), ladies bicycles and shopping mall music would stop marketing their very cool little boat. What's next - an Eddie Bauer edition? :P

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Ok, I am no advertising guru, but my bet is the good folks at RS would appreciate it if you mature gents with family vehicles (mini notwithstanding), ladies bicycles and shopping mall music would stop marketing their very cool little boat. What's next - an Eddie Bauer edition? :P

I think the guy with a "ladies bicycle" is actually a French RS Sailing dealer delivering an RS Aero to a happy new customer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tillerman said:

Nicolores.jpg

Oh come on.  I did that with my Laser,  using my tricycle,  when I was like 5 years old.  And I had to do that in the snow, uphill, both ways.  :P

Aeros are for old has beens or never weres... oh wait, uh nevermind.. how much are they again? :ph34r:

7 hours ago, bill4 said:

Got that right. Sad to see who they have as their PR reps 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, torrid said:

Even if it costs more to import them, the target customer - masters sailors with disposable income - will gladly pay the premium to be part of an active fleet.

Lasers are also made in the UK, but that is a moot point as none seem to be available.

The problem isn't so much cost as Ovington doesn't produce many and a friend of mine who used to be the USA representative couldn't get boats for pending orders shipped to the US. He has since dropped the sponsorship and it has gone to someone else because he couldn't meet commitments. Lasers are built in most major countries so sourcing boats in the US isn't a problem. 

On 7 April 2018 at 3:54 AM, VWAP said:

RS Aero Singlehanded Car Topping - Up

I actually had my new RS Aero on and off the roof about 4 times last week but it took until Friday to get it videoed.

It is not such a big deal. A taller vehicle would be more awkward but still possible.

Having several helpers is preferable but sometimes you are on your own. This method provides flexibility when car topping either at home or late at the sailing club when nobody is about. I actually find this method easier than a straight two man lift as you are only lifting half the boat at a time and the other end is fixed so you are not committed to lifting in sync.

If you struggle with a two person lift then this 'one end at a time' method with two people together may be preferable.

This is with the RS Sailing supplied trolley that is well suited to having the RS Aero upright on the roof with its triangular frame and under gunwale supports. Tie boat to trolley at bow and amidships first. Then they both lift as one and you only have to then tie the trolley to the roof bars / car.

Tools: One sailing kit bag and one picnic rug.

On 6 April 2018 at 10:00 PM, bill4 said:

It is only the first scratch that hurts. After that you are liberated.

I am OK now I use a larger rug, earlier carpet was marginal size.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, True North said:

Gouv, I don't think it's quite that dramatic.  The person who is hosting the event at the new sailing venue, Viridian, is a member of the Laser fleet at White Rock.  This is a chance to get the White Rock guys over to see the facilities and have a fun time.  That is not to say that the Aero isn't the end all, be all; for all I know, it is.  What I do know is that the Laser fits what we have going on at White Rock.  And  it's a pretty good thing....

Any race results from the event?

How to Car Top a Bigger Boat by singlehand...

car-top.gif

• Like 1

Texas sailor loading up for CRW 2009?

28CD278F-325A-4C89-B417-991338F87DD0.jpeg

Oh, not the same truck. 

71150540-498d-4747-8.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, VWAP said:

Any race results from the event?

I am curious how the "invasion" went as well. Get any traction?

• Like 1

I had to miss due to work, but my understanding is that it went well.  Blowing pretty hard, and everyone was using borrowed boats from the club hosting the event.  One boat got damaged when an extension got separated from the tiller, and the boat wound up on shore in the confined spaces, so racing got cancelled thereafter.  By all accounts, it was really fun.  People were blown away about the weight, or lack thereof, of the boat compared to Laser.  Not sure we are all going to ditch the Laser, though....

That said, we hope we will get to go back in the future, perhaps under more sedate conditions when we won't be stressing over boats.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, True North said:

I had to miss due to work, but my understanding is that it went well.  Blowing pretty hard, and everyone was using borrowed boats from the club hosting the event.  One boat got damaged when an extension got separated from the tiller, and the boat wound up on shore in the confined spaces, so racing got cancelled thereafter.  By all accounts, it was really fun.  People were blown away about the weight, or lack thereof, of the boat compared to Laser.  Not sure we are all going to ditch the Laser, though....

That said, we hope we will get to go back in the future, perhaps under more sedate conditions when we won't be stressing over boats.

Thanks for the update on the first wave of the invasion, boat broke, ended up on the beach, rest of boats couldn't handle increasing wind so they all retreated, waiting for sedate conditions to restart the invasion. 

Good to hear they had fun.

I sailed 189756 for three years as a novice. I sold the boat because I really couldn't sail it in anything over 15 knots. 18 was survival only. I liked the idea of a boat like the Laser based on it's size and the one design aspect along with the fact there are great sailors in the class. But after three years of trying, I ended up hating the boat and sold it. Saw an Aero at Wurstfest two years ago and thought it was amazing but too much like a Laser. That mindset has changed. I've had the Aero for a year and a half and although it's tough to sail in a blow, it's nothing like a Laser. Death rolls are difficult to accomplish in an Aero and broad reaching is like getting high in high school. I love the boat.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, lindy911 said:

I sailed 189756 for three years as a novice. I sold the boat because I really couldn't sail it in anything over 15 knots. 18 was survival only. I liked the idea of a boat like the Laser based on it's size and the one design aspect along with the fact there are great sailors in the class. But after three years of trying, I ended up hating the boat and sold it. Saw an Aero at Wurstfest two years ago and thought it was amazing but too much like a Laser. That mindset has changed. I've had the Aero for a year and a half and although it's tough to sail in a blow, it's nothing like a Laser. Death rolls are difficult to accomplish in an Aero and broad reaching is like getting high in high school. I love the boat.

Lindy - I am not following your post.  You couldn't sail the Laser in 15-18 but can sail the Aero... but then you say the Aero is tough in breeze... then say it doesn't deathroll.  I think??  Not busting your chops but not following.  Curious @tillerman thoughts as well.

I had hung up my Laser and stopped dinghy sailing due to shoulder issues.  Had to have surgery to rebuild one shoulder and barely avoided same in other.  But I forgot all that and got back into the Laser casually this winter and was having a blast before both the boat (its old and beat up) and my shoulder blew up.  So the boat is now a beach beater and my 2nd shoulder gets rotator cuff surgery in 10 days... so in 4 months I should be good as new and free to get back into dinghy sailing.  I have still never seen an Aero racing in or around Annapolis while the Laser scene is so active with tons of boats and great people so I do have a bias but this Aero thing is interesting enough for me to explore it.  Have a really hard time believing its a ton easier or more fun to sail though.  Almost half the weight of a Laser, similar waterline and hull shape and significantly more sail area (full rig to full rig).  I do believe it will be less likely to catch the mainsheet on the aft corner of the boat when gybing but other than that... come on??  Light air will be better given less weight and more SA, OK but light air sailing is still gonna be light air sailing.  As for the Aero is fun broad reaching comment... that is easy and a blast in a Laser too.  Its deep downwind that is tough in big breeze and I am guessing it is in an Aero too (and can't help but wonder if its even more of a handful). 

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Lindy - I am not following your post.  You couldn't sail the Laser in 15-18 but can sail the Aero... but then you say the Aero is tough in breeze... then say it doesn't deathroll.  I think??  Not busting your chops but not following.  Curious @tillerman thoughts as well.

I had hung up my Laser and stopped dinghy sailing due to shoulder issues.  Had to have surgery to rebuild one shoulder and barely avoided same in other.  But I forgot all that and got back into the Laser casually this winter and was having a blast before both the boat (its old and beat up) and my shoulder blew up.  So the boat is now a beach beater and my 2nd shoulder gets rotator cuff surgery in 10 days... so in 4 months I should be good as new and free to get back into dinghy sailing.  I have still never seen an Aero racing in or around Annapolis while the Laser scene is so active with tons of boats and great people so I do have a bias but this Aero thing is interesting enough for me to explore it.  Have a really hard time believing its a ton easier or more fun to sail though.  Almost half the weight of a Laser, similar waterline and hull shape and significantly more sail area (full rig to full rig).  I do believe it will be less likely to catch the mainsheet on the aft corner of the boat when gybing but other than that... come on??  Light air will be better given less weight and more SA, OK but light air sailing is still gonna be light air sailing.  As for the Aero is fun broad reaching comment... that is easy and a blast in a Laser too.  Its deep downwind that is tough in big breeze and I am guessing it is in an Aero too (and can't help but wonder if its even more of a handful). 

I can't really comment on Lindy's comments on how he found the Aero compared to the Laser. We all come to the boat with different experiences and skills so what is hard for one may be easy for another. I had sailed the Laser for over 30 years including at various major regattas and half a dozen Masters Worlds. I could sail in 25-30 knots (or at least I could when I was younger) and had sailed in all sorts of wave conditions. Not saying I was all that fast or smart in racing the Laser - but I had a lot of miles on the clock. I certainly didn't hate it as Lindy says he did, but I was getting a bit bored with Laser sailing and wasn't getting the same satisfaction from sailing the boat as I did years ago. Also when I first bought an Aero I imagined that I would carry on sailing and racing the Laser.

So, as I said, Lindy and I came to the Aero with very different attitudes about Laser sailing so I respect his comments which are true for him but not necessarily for me.

Where I do agree with Lindy, is that the experience of sailing an Aero is very different from that of sailing a Laser and it is a lot more fun. I am not sure if it's the light weight or the different hull shape or the more efficient foils and sail, or all of the above, but it FEELS different  - in a good way, a very good way. So much so that I no longer have any interest in sailing the Laser. 

I am not sure I can explain it very well in words. It is something you have to try for yourself. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately the person promoting the Aero in the OP did a great disservice to the class and the distributer. Not unexpected. Either boat is good, one a little more modern the other well established with large fleets racing in many different areas around the world. I could see owning both if a small fleet got established near by. 

13 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Unfortunately the person promoting the Aero in the OP did a great disservice to the class and the distributer. Not unexpected. Either boat is good, one a little more modern the other well established with large fleets racing in many different areas around the world. I could see owning both if a small fleet got established near by. 

Whoever you are.... Go fuck yourself!!

Just once I dare you to come stand in the same room with me in front of a crowd of people and shoot off your lying mouth. 

Your accusations are absolutely unfounded libelous bullshit. You are the sort of lowlife chickenshit scum that never has contributed a whit to our sport but who ANONYMOUSLY loves to attempt to destroy the fun for everyone else.

I hereby challenge you!!  Show your face!! Identify yourself. Face me in a public forum.

The US Laser Nationals will be held in Houston in just over a month.

I challenge you to show up for an evening face to face discussion in the HYC ballroom.

Bring your best. 

One of us will leave the Room disgraced for his performance over the last few years. 

Man up or shut up!! 

• Like 4

Just as I figured. ...The chickenshit pussy @VWAP went silent. 

Big mouth anonymous pussy ass posters are all the same. They post their lies and bullshit but when asked to stand behind their words they clam up and slither back to their hidey  holes. 

VWAP’s greatest contribution to the sailing game is his absence..... and he makes that contribution whenever there is work to do or real competition to be had on the water. 

Hey VWAP!! If you are ever passing by a Regatta, we will all appreciate it. 

• Like 2

No clue why all the anger - and no way am I diving into that hate - but @VWAP comment of "either boat is good, one a little more modern the other well established with large fleets racing in many different areas around the world" seems fair and about right to me. Its kinda where my head was/is.  I would only add that one (Laser) is more affordable/accessible than the other.  But that (my view) could be offset by @tillermancomment of: "the experience of sailing an Aero is very different from that of sailing a Laser and it is a lot more fun. I am not sure if it's the light weight or the different hull shape or the more efficient foils and sail, or all of the above, but it FEELS different  - in a good way, a very good way. So much so that I no longer have any interest in sailing the Laser."  He is not a hater or a troll and has lots of time in both boats so that is kinda a compelling statement that I am hoping he will at least try to expand on.  I mean I very much enjoy sailing the Laser.  Regardless of the racing I find it fun to sail.  I am curious how the Aero could be that much more fun but like I said I value and respect his judgement.

No need to dive in @Wess. The fact is the anonymous writer who posts as @VWAP has been making personal attacks and insinuations directed at me for quite some time.

I am sick of it. You can rest assured, the jackwit has no personal relationship with me. He has never interacted man to man with me. He has made repeated statements implying less than proper behavior on my part.

but 

100% of his posted implications about me are absolutely unfounded and nonsense.

Common decency provides a man the RIGHT to face his accusers and DEMAND proof. Common decency includes making no accusations unless the accuser has real and substantive evidence which he can provide to anyone who questions the validity of the accusations. 

Seventeen years ago, the incompetent Tim Landt wrote and distributed an email accusing me of “misappropriation of North American Laser Class Funds.”

The incompetent Landt wrote that I has spent Class Funds on such things as postage, office supplies, and the Association's memberships in USSailing and the Canadian Yachting Association.  The only ncompetent fool thought such spending was improper. 

As there is no accusation incompetent and stupid enough for some people to immediately recognize its absurdity, some people actually believed I had done something wrong. 

My job was to gather and distribute information for the Association and to manage its scheduling and financial affairs. Every penny that was received or spent by my office was documented and 100% of those who took the time to discuss the finances and bookkeeping are fully aware I not only managed the Class funds in an impeccable manner but I contributed over $100,000 of my own funds to the operation. 

I am sick and tired of the malicious assholes who seem to think it is acceptable behavior to spread lies about my very sincere and dedicated performance as NA Laser Class Secretary. 

I have wasted enough time AGAIN TODAY about this issue which should have been cleared up in 2002.

I shall close with this:

If anyone speaking to me accuses anyone of anything I ALWAYS demand the facts to back up the accusations.

ALWAYS!!

When the accuser lacks facts to back up the accusations I ALWAYS make it clear the accuser has no right to make unfounded accusations.

ALWAYS!!

I have stood as the lone defender of many unpopular individuals in various communities because I believe accusations made with no supporting evidence are the lowest form of communication. 

I have zero problem with someone who says he “suspects,” but, unless that person is actively calling for or conducting an investigation, voicing suspicions, in very short order, voiced suspicions become a form of unfounded malicious attack. 

I expect a certain level of performance by my fellow community members. It is ot OK to silently observe unsupported and unjustified personal attacks. 

As members of the community it is our duty to demand supporting evidence from those who make accusations. 

Meet must demand apologies and retractions when accusations are found to be false. 

Those who persist in making unfounded accusations must be dealt with by the community. 

Summary: ( @Editor please consider my position) 

If a person uses this forum to repeatedly publish unsupported malicious attacks, his access to these forums should be terminated. 

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, VWAP said:

I'm not sure why Regattanetwork  didn't show all the results for the 2017 CYC Spring Fling which also served as the RS Aero Texas State Championship. We had 15 Aeros in 2017 and just had ten for 2018. The attendance this year was stifled by no wind. For reference, the 2018 CYC Spring Fling Regatta is on the Texas District 15 Laser schedule and one full rig showed. He won all three trophies. I expect the North Americans will have 30+ boats.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, tillerman said:

I can't really comment on Lindy's comments on how he found the Aero compared to the Laser. We all come to the boat with different experiences and skills so what is hard for one may be easy for another. I had sailed the Laser for over 30 years including at various major regattas and half a dozen Masters Worlds. I could sail in 25-30 knots (or at least I could when I was younger) and had sailed in all sorts of wave conditions. Not saying I was all that fast or smart in racing the Laser - but I had a lot of miles on the clock. I certainly didn't hate it as Lindy says he did, but I was getting a bit bored with Laser sailing and wasn't getting the same satisfaction from sailing the boat as I did years ago. Also when I first bought an Aero I imagined that I would carry on sailing and racing the Laser.

So, as I said, Lindy and I came to the Aero with very different attitudes about Laser sailing so I respect his comments which are true for him but not necessarily for me.

Where I do agree with Lindy, is that the experience of sailing an Aero is very different from that of sailing a Laser and it is a lot more fun. I am not sure if it's the light weight or the different hull shape or the more efficient foils and sail, or all of the above, but it FEELS different  - in a good way, a very good way. So much so that I no longer have any interest in sailing the Laser. 

I am not sure I can explain it very well in words. It is something you have to try for yourself. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Wess said:

I can personally sail an Aero a lot easier than a Laser. Why? I don't know. All I know is that it's a better fit for me and my skill set. And I get better at it every time I sail it. I can't say that about a Laser.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Wess said:

I think the biggest two attributes of the Aero are the hull and the rig. The hull holds better downwind when the wind is up and doesn't slide at the mast like a laser. This allows me to have more confidence that I'm not going to kill myself once I've rounded the top mark. The rig, to me, is far easier (read possible) to de-power when the wind picks up and I can turn the sail into a sheet of plywood and vang-sheet with little effort. Combined, I sail the Aero more like a Sunfish when it blows. A Sunfish is easy for me in 25+.

I'm 60 years old and weigh 205 so light air is fun and easy but not where I'm most competitive. I'm sailing a Nine rig at the Aero North Americans this weekend and it's projected to blow 13-18 Thursday through Sunday. We'll see how it goes.

Lindy, out of curiosity, why are you so intent on Laser bashing?  Is that food for your soul?  Putting the Laser down helps your Aero case, I guess.  Why even mention Lasers in your regatta post other than to put them down? 

I'm sorry you had such a bad Laser experience.  They have their quirks -- like every other boat on the planet.

I'm 60, too, and the Laser remains a fun platform for me.  We don't travel much in our fleet, but we will have 21 or 22 boats out this weekend for a regatta on our lake.  And I even plan on sampling an Aero over the 4th.  If I turn out loving it and buying one, it won't be because of your continual trashing of the Laser.

Good luck in you NAs.

31 minutes ago, True North said:

Lindy, out of curiosity, why are you so intent on Laser bashing?  Is that food for your soul?  Putting the Laser down helps your Aero case, I guess.  Why even mention Lasers in your regatta post other than to put them down? 

I'm sorry you had such a bad Laser experience.  They have their quirks -- like every other boat on the planet.

I'm 60, too, and the Laser remains a fun platform for me.  We don't travel much in our fleet, but we will have 21 or 22 boats out this weekend for a regatta on our lake.  And I even plan on sampling an Aero over the 4th.  If I turn out loving it and buying one, it won't be because of your continual trashing of the Laser.

Good luck in you NAs.

I guess it's only natural to try and explain why one likes a new boat by comparing its features and performances with a similar boat that is well known to many people. So it's not surprising that Aero fanatics are often guilty of explaining their love for the Aero by drawing comparisons with the Laser. Lindy obviously had a bad experience with the Laser and is currently enjoying the Aero more. That doesn't mean that many many other sailors don't find the Laser a rewarding boat to sail. Good luck to them. At the end of the day we all want to sail a boat that suits us personally and delivers whatever it is we are looking to get out of sailing.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 5:51 PM, Streetwise said:

Texas sailor loading up for CRW 2009?

28CD278F-325A-4C89-B417-991338F87DD0.jpeg

Couldn't help myself...

startransport.jpg

New_truck_w_2_Folli_s_2.JPG