Port Phillip Sailor

annoying use of the language

Have you noticed recently how many people, particularly on live TV, when asked a question, respond with "I mean....." 

Sometimes that is all they say .... "I mean ............................."

yet it is totally meaningless.

• Downvote 1

When people start a answer to a question with “well, to be honest.......” I always think “are you usually not honest?”

12 minutes ago, Point Break said:

When people start a answer to a question with “well, to be honest.......” I always think “are you usually not honest?”

People are rarely as honest we’d like to think. 

What annoys me the most, these days, is when people start a sentence with a hanging "So......"

Interviewer: "What time was it, approximately, when you realized that something was seriously wrong?"

Interviewee: "So....... First let me say that I really Like..... I mean..... SO, OK..... It was like around Midnight, and We were pretty cool....".....

32 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

What annoys me the most, these days, is when people start a sentence with a hanging "So......"

Interviewer: "What time was it, approximately, when you realized that something was seriously wrong?"

Interviewee: "So....... First let me say that I really Like..... I mean..... SO, OK..... It was like around Midnight, and We were pretty cool....".....

don't forget the compulsory "Yes No" . . . . It's been around, like, years. Know what I mean?

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

well to be honest, you're pretty nice....

4 hours ago, mad said:

People are rarely as honest we’d like to think. 

Yea, like people going on Google to answer RRS questions pretending they know anything about racing. 

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

I been thinking of starting this thread for a while and that was to be the OP!

• Downvote 1

How about "if that makes sense?"

Drives me nuts.

• Downvote 1

Finishing every fucking sentence with "ya know what I mean?" 

Yes I know what you fucking mean you moronic cunt. 

How about "going forward".

Seems to me we have no option in time but to go forward.  Fuck that's annoying.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The Army is very fond of 'plussing up' budgets.  Plus up????  WTF.   Why not just increase it.  So I guess if you cut the budget you 'minus down'?

So um, like you know, there are so many um, people that um, can't speak proper English anymore and um, it totally like pisses me off.  Um, you know what I mean?  Um, Ammiright?

Yeah, no.  An Aussie lecturing anyone on proper English is, like..... you know, totally silly.  And to be honest..... if it makes sense, going forward with this thread just highlights that fact.  You know what I mean?   But whatever.

But before I respond to your question, let me say this.  To be honest, going forward, you are all a bunch of cunts, it that makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I just got here. Let me get orientated. Ya know what I'm sayin, and whatnot?

8 hours ago, bowman81 said:

Finishing every fucking sentence with "ya know what I mean?" 

Yes I know what you fucking mean you moronic cunt. 

How about "You feel me?"

In almost every case - not even if I was paid.

Turning nouns into verbs;

"Monetizing"

"Gifting" (or re-gifting)

54 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Turning nouns into verbs;

"Monetizing"

"Gifting" (or re-gifting)

Or turning adjectives into nouns.  It really bothers me that "I don't like when gay people..." has turned into "I don't like when gays..."

23 minutes ago, mainsheetsister said:

What's the take-away here?

That going forward we will all use English as she is goodly spoke.

"The truth of the matter is..."

Australians, Americans and Canadians discussing the downfall of the spoken English language!!

:lol:

You must know the story of the linguist giving a course on affirmative and negative sentences in different languages; explaining that in some languages, a double negative means a positive sense, where in others, a double negative is just a re-enforcement of the original negative sense of the sentence.

He then concludes that contrary to the disparity on the double negative, all languages are the same on the double affirmative; it NEVER translate to a negative meaning.

At this point, a student stands up at the back of the room and just shouts: "Yeah... Right!"

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That going forward we will all use English as she is goodly spoke.

Hey, it is what it is.

"yes , that's my go-forward plan".

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean look, to be honest at the end of the day no one cares about your go forward plan and energistically transition principle-centered collaboration and idea-sharing but we need to progressively fabricate resource-leveling systems to assertively exploit next-generation best practices.

And if I hear a "world class" anything, one more time, I'll, I'll do something.  But hey, somebody has to tell the boss the baby's ugly.  So lets run it up the flag pole and see who salutes it.

Who knows? Might create a new paradigm.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Who knows? Might create a new paradigm.

Paradigm is so last millennium brah.

15 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

The Army is very fond of 'plussing up' budgets.  Plus up????  WTF.   Why not just increase it.  So I guess if you cut the budget you 'minus down'?

So um, like you know, there are so many um, people that um, can't speak proper English anymore and um, it totally like pisses me off.  Um, you know what I mean?  Um, Ammiright?

The "plus up" is a specific thing, it's to increase a budget with a non-compete. Normally they can't do that, and public funds need to be competed. But if they can sufficiently justify that they current recipient is only one who can supply that service/research/contract, then they can add funds without going through the long-delay of a public process.

Also, a plus up usually (maybe even always) includes an additional scope of work, while a budget increase might be be that the original budget was increased for the existing scope.

The "minus down" you describe is a non-continuation ... they can't really cut a budget that's been contracted, but they can't agree not to continue the work after a specific milestone or go/no-go.

Damn, I loved the minutiae of government contracting ...

No one can get to the point. Many residents and other doctors talk around the subject. Many times I stop them and ask "what do you have" and " what do you need from me". At one in the morning the more terse the better

13 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Many times I stop them and ask "what do you have" and " what do you need from me". At one in the morning the more terse the better

Thast quitte a pickupe line.                                    :)

I have never understood "off of".  What happened to simply "off"?

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

A weekend at Empresse to impresse or clime aborred paradiyam shifte?      :)

You're welcome anytime.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

And if I hear a "world class" anything, one more time, I'll, I'll do something.

5 hours ago, burndoc said:

No one can get to the point. Many residents and other doctors talk around the subject. Many times I stop them and ask "what do you have" and " what do you need from me". At one in the morning the more terse the better

Oh man do I get that! I can’t tell you how many times I’d be sitting on my drug box in some old persons house at 2am and ask.....”so why did you call us”........10 minutes later I still don’t know, but I know what Mabel said last week......”mam, I just need to know why you called us, I mean what’s the matter”.......”well sonny I’m trying to tell you if you’ll stop interrupting me”........20 minutes later.....I still don’t know. 

Sigh.......

All of those buzz words annoy me, but nothing irritates me more than the fucking clowns that use "irregardless" and/or "could care less".  I hate them and want to throat punch them all.

MS
"

• Like 1

Not getting to the point, using circular rhetoric is a white man trait.  That's where the "forked=tongue" term came from.  It's not just about lying, it's the use of language to confuse and blur.

From what I have read on this subject, native languages are more direct, don't waste words and get to the point.  This is something that Pirsig wrote about, how the cowboy's contact with the American Indians formed the John Wayne like speech pattern, few words, much meaning.  Same in Australia, stock-men use language very like English speaking Aboriginals.

The extreme version of white-man-speak is that used by our politicians.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Doesn’t happen much in conversational English,  but when conversing in emails at work, shortening every single possible word.

idk, u, ur, fyi, and so on.

6 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Doesn’t happen much in conversational English,  but when conversing in emails at work, shortening every single possible word.

Yes, like Melli does here with 'Prolly' instead of probably.  Fucking annoying.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

About 5 or 6 years ago (maybe longer) I heard my first "Yeah yeah!" in response to a question.  Then I heard a "No no" not long after.  Now I catch myself doing it.

It's really fucking annoying.  One Yes or one No is sufficient.

Edit: and I fucking hate it when people use expletives for no good fucking reason!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Yup, even in social media and on forums, the lazy erupts stupid.  The next functionally illiterate moron who has to end every other sentence on Farcebook with "lol" or "smh", can smd.

9 hours ago, burndoc said:

That sounds much like married life in general (when "yes" or "no" are perfectly appropriate answers to 93% of all questions), except with lives at risk.

"Hero"...for example I saw on the tv this morning that NE Patriot Julius Edelman was a "hero" for reporting some kinda school threat on his Twitter feed...really went over the top of the trenches there huh?...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DtM said:

I have never understood "off of".  What happened to simply "off"?

Similarly, "Where are you at?" What's wrong with "Where are you?"?

19 hours ago, Laurent said:

You must know the story of the linguist giving a course on affirmative and negative sentences in different languages; explaining that in some languages, a double negative means a positive sense, where in others, a double negative is just a re-enforcement of the original negative sense of the sentence.

He then concludes that contrary to the disparity on the double negative, all languages are the same on the double affirmative; it NEVER translate to a negative meaning.

At this point, a student stands up at the back of the room and just shouts: "Yeah... Right!"

Were they a "Cunning Linguist"?

I'm sick of hearing "thats too big"

8 hours ago, random said:

Not getting to the point, using circular rhetoric is a white man trait.  That's where the "forked=tongue" term came from.  It's not just about lying, it's the use of language to confuse and blur.

From what I have read on this subject, native languages are more direct, don't waste words and get to the point.  This is something that Pirsig wrote about, how the cowboy's contact with the American Indians formed the John Wayne like speech pattern, few words, much meaning.  Same in Australia, stock-men use language very like English speaking Aboriginals.

The extreme version of white-man-speak is that used by our politicians.

It's called dissembling - creating a desired false impression without actually lying.

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

"Hero"...for example I saw on the tv this morning that NE Patriot Julius Edelman was a "hero" for reporting some kinda school threat on his Twitter feed...really went over the top of the trenches there huh?...

The word has been rendered almost meaningless by overuse. Merely wearing a uniform makes you a hero now.

"I put a couple new parts on it" instead of "a couple OF new parts".

44 minutes ago, VWAP said:

I'm sick of hearing "thats too big"

So cut it again. ;)

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

So cut it again. ;)

I thick he meanes teh 'P' in VWAP.                                        :)

Mispronunciations;

Sem-eye instead of sem-eee

Dee-cal instead of deh-cal

See-gar instead of sih-gar

46 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Mispronunciations;

Sem-eye instead of sem-eee

Dee-cal instead of deh-cal

See-gar instead of sih-gar

That is really serious, I would never do that. Never!

5ac7aaeb2b791_swedishcook.jpg.efc04f018ebf52b2cd4eb28a809c3c75.jpg

I have clients who ask me to "create a deck to socialize the content so that the stake-holders can consume the message to ensure we are all aligned" at least once a day...I want to slap someone.

I have been retired for 5 years now, and my agency has had a fair amount of turnover at the Executive level. A short while ago, they asked me to sit in a meeting on a particular issue to provide some background on the issue. Sure says I. The guy that opened the meeting started with......."I'd like to fully unpack this issue so we can get a good 360 degree view of it".

Now I remember why I retired.

33 minutes ago, familysailor said:

One I see too often here: "loosing" for "losing"

Fack!

Only loosers say loosing.  And morans.

41 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have been retired for 5 years now, and my agency has had a fair amount of turnover at the Executive level. A short while ago, they asked me to sit in a meeting on a particular issue to provide some background on the issue. Sure says I. The guy that opened the meeting started with......."I'd like to fully unpack this issue so we can get a good 360 degree view of it".

Now I remember why I retired.

I've always wondered.  Is there a special school people go to to learn to speak like that?

12 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

All of those buzz words annoy me, but nothing irritates me more than the fucking clowns that use "irregardless" and/or "could care less".  I hate them and want to throat punch them all.

MS
"

Irregardless, its a mute point.

9 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Got another....

axing.  I’ve been axing the question about the budget but no ones answering...

RACIST!  

1 hour ago, floating dutchman said:

I've always wondered.  Is there a special school people go to to learn to speak like that?

Must be.......I guess I missed that day..............

How about "with all due respect...."

Which means "I'm about to disrespect the shit out of you............."

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

RACIST!  

No,  I’ve heard idiot crackers using it as well... but by large the prime abusers are skilled in eubonics....

3 hours ago, familysailor said:

One I see too often here: "loosing" for "losing"

Fack!

You're not from around here are you?

Stop casting nasturtiums.

My dad worked at a federal government agro lab and got real cranky when the bureaucrats spoke in their special language. He told me of one incident in a meeting so many times I have it memorized.

They had a written paper about prepping an apple for an experiment;

"The apple was divided into quarters by slicing it along the long axis using a knife that was sterilized by dipping in alcohol and flaming".

Dad said "The apple was quartered aseptically - who wrote this crap"?

The speaker said "I did".  :D