Blue Crab

Eaton Lighthouse Pedestal

I've been unable to get my dock manager to outfit all the circuits on the pedestal due to high cost.

The proprietary breakers appear to be hundreds of dollars and are definitely thinner. Ex, the Square D 30 in there at the moment is too fat, not allowing the 20 to fit next to it.

Breakers are usually cheap. What's wrong with this story?

Eaton marina and power is a tiny little US shop in a massive global company so I'd be pretty surprised if the breakers are anything but a standard Eaton product. The Lighthouse guide specification doesn't list anything funny or special, but you'd need to buy an Eaton breaker (or maybe Cutler Hammer would work which was purchased by Eaton and renamed). Another brand breaker from Square D, or Siemens, etc, will not fit, most likely due to UL listings... just like the panelboard in your house. 

Take a look at the series numbers on the breakers that are already in the lighthouse and see if you can find them online. A standard 30 amp, 1-pole 10,000 AIC breaker will be pretty cheap, but the cost does go up quite a bit for GFCI protection, which is an option with these.

Reaching out to them isn't a bad idea though, I worked with them a few years ago on a small marina power project and found them to be pretty helpful with answering questions. 

Eaton Marina Power and Lighting Sales Support:
1-800-723-8009
marinasales@eaton.com

• Like 1

Don't know what snoke is but it sound unpleasant.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Don't know what snoke is but it sound unpleasant.

When ya blow smoke from yer nose.

Jon, there isn't any reason eaton breakers should be hundreds, is there?

None that I can see but I'm not an electrician.

Sounds like plain old gouging to me.

Blue, it really depends on what series the proper breaker is. If GFCI, then it can be over $100 for the breaker itself, but for a standard breaker it should be less than that. From your original comment, it sounds like they have a Square D in there now, which they may have to replace to get the proper breakers to fit like they should, so they might be adding that into their cost, plus whatever they charge themselves for the labor.  

If I remember correctly, you can buy the lighthouse product bare, completely assembled or anything in between. Sounds like they bought these bare and are fitting them out with whatever they have on hand. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that a Square D breaker even plugs in or bolts in properly. 

Oh but it doesn't. The SqD is twice as wide and takes up the space where both the 20 and 30 Eaton should go.

The deal is the dock guy can't be bothered.

Thanks, guys. I'll figure what fits and install them and not mention it. This isn't rocket science.

15 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Oh but it doesn't. The SqD is twice as wide and takes up the space where both the 20 and 30 Eaton should go.

The deal is the dock guy can't be bothered.

Thanks, guys. I'll figure what fits and install them and not mention it. This isn't rocket science.

You don't think he'll notice if you shut off the power to the whole dock to install a new breaker?

Nope. He's not on site, otherwise I'd have kicked his butt by now. 

Only 10 slips.  Odds are all will be gone.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:56 AM, Blue Crab said:

I've been unable to get my dock manager to outfit all the circuits on the pedestal due to high cost.

The proprietary breakers appear to be hundreds of dollars and are definitely thinner. Ex, the Square D 30 in there at the moment is too fat, not allowing the 20 to fit next to it.

Breakers are usually cheap. What's wrong with this story?

Were you being persistent in bothering him to do something he didn't want to?  That sounds more like a stop bothering me answer from someone who wants to be lazy.   A long time ago I priced out some pedestals when I was looking at expanding my yard, I had an idea to put them 18' apart all down the yard with a height adjustable "finger" so I could plug the boats in and have them each metered and not mess about with scaffolding all the time.  Scaffolding and cheap wall mounted outlets won, but I think they wanted about a grand apiece fully kitted out with light, meter, 30/50A and regular outlets and all breakers, so hundreds of dollars per breaker seems way too high. 

Doubtless I bugged him too much, and he is correct about the cost. Just working on my phone (no wifi), thru pdfs I found pricing: 20 & 30 breakers: $27.83. With the GFCI circuitry: $114.40 direct from Eaton, so likely cheaper elsewhere. But this little 10 slip dock is a municipal entity so the guy is doubtless insisting on the ground fault equipment, and is intent on spending as little as possible. 

I just figured one of you guys had run into this before. My goal was an additional 20 amp circuit on my pedestal to run a heater which I accomplished by running a long quality cord down the dock to get me thru an intensely cold couple of weeks. -11 with wind chill.

If I'm here this winter I'll just buy a 20 and a 30 myself.

Thanks all for the thoughts.