random

How “wet” the Volvo Ocean 65 yachts are?

The VOR 65s work exactly as designed.  They knew that the helmsman would get washed off the wheel occasionally, they knew that green and white water would sweep across the decks at 20+ knots and cover the crew at the pedestals.   The boats have delivered exactly to specification and generated the clicks required by the video and stills from the OBR.

To attempt to say otherwise is saying that the Farr Office fucked up.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, random said:

The VOR 65s work exactly as designed.  They knew that the helmsman would get washed off the wheel occasionally, they knew that green and white water would sweep across the decks at 20+ knots and cover the crew at the pedestals.   The boats have delivered exactly to specification and generated the clicks required by the video and stills from the OBR.

the-ass-clown-of-the-month-by-hip-is-eve

• Downvote 1

Randumb starting a thread to listen to yourself is like ...maybe one smelling their own farts I suppose.

Superb thread response you have generated btw.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, random said:

You must have missed this one.

• Downvote 1

Fuck now down to quoting oneself..the only person who missed was the one who didn't catch you at birth..they have a lot to answer for by picking you up..

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, random said:

You must have missed this one.

and the quoting oneself award goes to.......

everybody's favourite troll Randum

Wanker-Awards-Advertising-Branding-in-As

• Downvote 1

If you look at Appendix F from the 2014-15 race you will see a request from Abu Dhabi to remove the helm guards from the boats. It was supported by all of the teams before they had even tested them. 

There was a discussion about wave deflectors forward, and that is what the scalloped shape of the coachroof was meant to extend out to. But the teams all voted to scrap it before it went further than the drawing board.

a 65 footer is wet at 20 knots in a big sea. If you want to be able to see the bow from the helm and the sails from the cockpit there have to be compromises. The autopilot makes a huge difference to the brief.

the boats have the same freeboard as the 70s (not far off double the IMOCA) and a coachroof as well as deep cockpit.

boats get wet Handcock and co! Get over it!!!

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Appendix F from the 2014-15

Tried to find,  but no luck.

2014/15 Class Rules and NOR say "Appendix F – Permitted changes & Additions ............... posted separately"

Anyone have a publicly available link to that doc?

3 hours ago, Chimp too said:

There was a discussion about wave deflectors forward, and that is what the scalloped shape of the coachroof was meant to extend out to. But the teams all voted to scrap it before it went further than the drawing board.

Yeah?  Interesting that someone would 'vote' against something before it was even drawn up.  How would they know anything about it?

Where did you get this information from?  Got a link?

800px_COLOURBOX4159253.jpg

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

Conspiracy everywhere 

Wetness click, clickety click

Reptile Gods Rule VOR

It only appears to be a conspiracy to those who do not understand how the commercial world works.

Interesting that someone would 'vote' against something before it was even drawn up.  How would they know anything about it?

• Downvote 1

Randum, no one takes you seriously don't you get it?

Here you are on a public forum claiming that the VOR organisers told Farr Design, one of the most reputable yacht design houses in the world to design a boat that would deliberately put lives at risk for "wetness clicks". Apart from the insanity of it, the practicality that no-one on the VOR or the design team would be able keep a secret like that in this day and age. Youve read the reports about how the crews vetoed wave guards, that there are NO complaints from the any of the skippers, crew, designers, OA- no one except unhinged keyboard warriors like yourself.

You are an obnoxious fat fuck of a troll with no friends, and the comfort that SA gives you with people like me responding is totally false. Get off the computer and go and join some learn to sail course so at least you can begin to understand the passion that sailors have for the water.

I've had my fun, but now its just sad as you actually take yourself seriously and have no sense of humour

Youre on ignore

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

The three biggest lies in the world

1. This won't hurt a bit
  2. I promise I won't cum in your mouth
  3. You are on ignore
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Yeah?  Interesting that someone would 'vote' against something before it was even drawn up.  How would they know anything about it?

800px_COLOURBOX4159253.jpg

I think this is a fair question given that a poster with a total of 10 posts makes a claim about 'voting' on 65 design.

It's fair and reasonable to ask for more information.

Still waiting.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

Here you are on a public forum claiming that the VOR organisers told Farr Design, one of the most reputable yacht design houses in the world to design a boat that would deliberately put lives at risk for "wetness clicks"

So you are saying that they did not intend the boats to be that wet?  Was it a fuckup then?

• Downvote 1

......just starve him of oxygen and ignore him, 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, great Random on the down vote button again, have another go numb nuts.  :)

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, random said:

I think this is a fair question given that a poster with a total of 10 posts makes a claim about 'voting' on 65 design.

It's fair and reasonable to ask for more information.

Still waiting.

So did the Farr Office design them to be that wet or was it a fuck-up?

I'm suspecting that they have enough experience in yacht design, that they knew exactly how they would perform and that they were designed to be that wet to generate the images required to justify the OBR.

• Downvote 2

Why don’t you scroll back through the threads and see how many down votes you can hit in an hour?

Off you run. 

• Downvote 1

This from the designer of the new generation Volvo.

How important is it to get the input of Volvo Ocean Race sailors in the design process?

It’s super important, and we’re introducing some Volvo Ocean Race veterans into the design team really early on for that reason. You get a unique perspective from the sailors, as they explain to you all of their tricks, how they survive on board, and how they look to exploit the boat to the max.

That’s important – after all, if you design a single-handed boat, for example, the way that it’s sailed is completely different to a fully-crewed boat. You have to make a judgement of the machine you design based on the capacity of the sailor to exploit it.

How do you balance the battle between speed and safety? And how much do you take a sailor’s daily life on board into the design process?

It’s important, for sure, and it will probably affect the width of the boat a little bit. We’ll make changes for ergonomic reasons to ensure that the sailors are – well, not comfortable – but at least surviving on board. For instance, the cockpit might be a little bit more protected than in previous generations. That little bit more shelter allows the sailors to maximise the potential of the boat.

We will make extra effort to keep the crews safe, as Volvo Ocean Race sailors have a reputation for pushing really, really hard. They’re relentless. In single-handed sailing, there’s a tendency for the sailors to be a bit more careful about their boats, but in a Volvo Ocean Race team, I think they push it harder than ever, which makes it more prone to breakages. We may have to consider downgrading the performance factor slightly in order to retain a certain level of security, which is a key aspect to bear in mind especially when you’re racing in the Southern Ocean.

I’ve got to check safety a bit more due to that. I’ll try to turn that into benefit, probably by making the boat stiffer, and I’ll try to transform the safety aspects into some interesting features. It’s about trying to see a ‘problem’ from another point of view.

The next generation of boat is part of a series of major announcements on 18 May which will take the Volvo Ocean Race into the next, exciting phase of its history. Do you feel a pressure or responsibility on your shoulders?

I feel pressure in that there is always huge risk in designing new boats. It’s a big challenge to design a machine that is extraordinary to sail but safe at the same time. It’s always a fine line, and at the end of the day, we always have pressure when we send someone to sea, racing around the world.

But it’s a feeling that I’m used to. In the last Vendée Globe, I had 12 boats and you want to see everyone come back, so yes, in that way, there is pressure, and you feel it.

http://www.guillaumeverdier.com/en/meet-the-man-behind-the-next-generation-boat/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, random said:

1. This won't hurt a bit
  2. I promise I won't cum in your mouth
  3. You are on ignore

ass_clown_text_medium.jpg

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, southerncross said:

We’ll make changes for ergonomic reasons to ensure that the sailors are – well, not comfortable – but at least surviving on board

Yep, there you go.  Hate to see them comfortable.  Have to design it so they are not and one of the crew has not survived due to a design issue.  Why does the traveler and or boom have to be in a position to hit the crew?

35 minutes ago, southerncross said:

For instance, the cockpit might be a little bit more protected than in previous generations. That little bit more shelter allows the sailors to maximise the potential of the boat.

Which generations are the more protected than?  So it was a fuck-up then?   Even the 70s had a wave deflector.

I'm still waiting for information from Chimp about that 'voting' process.

• Downvote 1

1. I promise I won't cum in your mouth

Learnt that one the hard way did you mate?

• Like 1

Random, your whipping a dead horse man, you acknowledged when you started this thread that it would probably turn out like this. On another forum populated by a higher level of intelligence this could have been a productive thread but unfortunately there are just too many know all fuck all's on here for that to happen. I gave my thoughts on the subject but I learned long ago to never argue with morons, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience and that's exactly what's happened here, herd mentality. You are wasting your time.

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Random, your whipping a dead horse man, you acknowledged when you started this thread that it would probably turn out like this. On another forum populated by a higher level of intelligence this could have been a productive thread but unfortunately there are just too many know all fuck all's on here for that to happen. I gave my thoughts on the subject but I learned long ago to never argue with morons, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience and that's exactly what's happened here, herd mentality. You are wasting your time.

I am not sure which is worse- arguing with morons or agreeing with one. 

• Like 1

It only appears to be a conspiracy to those who do not understand how the commercial world works.

Interesting that someone would 'vote' against something before it was even drawn up.  How would they know anything about it?

Seems you are not only a dumb fuck but one that cant even read something up the page.

Great to see your wearing your down vote button finger out again today instead of arse fingering your boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Steve said:

Of course you are correct.

If these were just morons, that would be the end of it.  But it's fun when the threads appear to be propped up by people with vested interests in the success of the project.  People who belong to the Ankles Brigade, those who are 3 Feet Lower than a Cunt and gain from other people risking their lives.  Some die.

Bottom feeders, who refuse to acknowledge the facts when presented to them, for their gain.  Is that lying? 

But it is just too easy to fuck with their heads, getting boring.  I mean the one about the boats performance being either by design or accident.  Of course they were designed to be exactly as they are, fucking wet and dangerous.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Chimp too said:

If you look at Appendix F from the 2014-15 race you will see a request from Abu Dhabi to remove the helm guards from the boats. It was supported by all of the teams before they had even tested them.

Thanks Chimp.

Lack of hand holds, obstruction, surface/wave area that could potentially take the helm station out (that they are also clipped to)??

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, random said:

Of course you are correct.

If these were just morons, that would be the end of it.  But it's fun when the threads appear to be propped up by people with vested interests in the success of the project.  People who belong to the Ankles Brigade, those who are 3 Feet Lower than a Cunt and gain from other people risking their lives.  Some die.

Bottom feeders, who refuse to acknowledge the facts when presented to them, for their gain.  Is that lying? 

But it is just too easy to fuck with their heads, getting boring.  I mean the one about the boats performance being either by design or accident.  Of course they were designed to be exactly as they are, fucking wet and dangerous.

That fucking Hydro shit is strong mate. Maybe mix a bit of leaf in with it.

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Chimp.

Lack of hand holds, obstruction, surface/wave area that could potentially take the helm station out (that they are also clipped to)??

Unobstructed view is probably the main reason. Also the philosophy behind a fully crewed and helmed boat vs a singlehanded boat on auto is very different. Seeing the front of the boat, the waves etc means you can react that much quicker if hand steering. It's guess but I'd say the video clips are handpicked for dramatic effect.

I think Randumb's lack of comprehension stems from never haveing gone down wind in a big breeeze on anything more extreme than a Cole 35. He just doesn't understand what modern boats sail like. His own sturdy vessel has only ever passed 10 knots on a truck.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Agreeing....

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think Randumb's lack of comprehension stems from never haveing gone down wind in a big breeeze on anything more extreme than a Cole 35. He just doesn't understand what modern boats sail like. His own sturdy vessel has only every passed 10 knots on a truck.

I thought it gets to 90kmh in the boot of his car on a freeway.

Is there any evidence he has ever sailed?

• Downvote 1

Oh yes he sails alright. Has a nice boat. Does a lot of trolling.

7 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Oh yes he sails alright. Has a nice boat. Does a lot of trolling.

I tried that once from my yacht in Greece. I caught a 20ft rib. He was going to pass in front and then at the last minute went behind me catching my two lines on his windscreen. 

• Downvote 1

Harry: "Chris, I'm a bit worried about the traveler and boom positioning on the 65, I mean these guys will be sailing these things completely fucked, crash gybes will happen.  The current design would take someone out if they weren't on to it."

Chris: "Mate it's how it is, these guys are the best, they know where the trav is FFS!

• Downvote 2

are you suggesting randumb, that some luminous labels would've helped image.png.2d1b184d87b56a9be0c9077eb01bbe03.png

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Well if we agree with him, we'd both be wrong.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dark Cloud said:

are you suggesting randumb, that some luminous labels would've helped image.png.2d1b184d87b56a9be0c9077eb01bbe03.png

No he would consider that contrary to COLREGS.. I think is suggesting they place foodstuffs near dangerous places.

traveller.PNG

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, random said:

damn random, I've found myself agreeing with you and your blunt candor, mostly about non sailing stuff many, many times because I've felt like you're simply telling it like it is, but here I think you're making yourself look like a deranged clown. you're way off base here, drop this moron act and move on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mad said:

Why don’t you scroll back through the threads and see how many down votes you can hit in an hour?

Off you run. 

Well he clearly listens to you Mad...just did around 50 to me in one hit...and that is before he wakes up Brian Hancock, the Down Vote Sock he just gave birth to for when his daily vote limit is reached.

His boyfriend won't be happy missing out on all this attention.

Brian Hancock_2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Random, I think you need to concentrate on virtual yacht racing, outside of the environment. The real work has sharp things, wet things and nasties that might hurt you in a way that even your mummy’s pert lips can’t make better. 

I will drag out the old appendix F later and post, but until then, I hope you don’t hurt yourself with anything sharp that the nasty men at Staples didn’t design with the consideration that a complete fuckwit might run around their bedroom with scissors in hand.

stay safe!!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

So where is the vote Chimp?  " It was supported by all of the teams before they had even tested them.  "

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

As I said Randum, I will dig it out later, got work to do. 

waiting.jpg?w=767

• Downvote 2

^^ Let me guess ...waiting for your down-votes daily limit to expire OR when to release to the world your secrets on safe Traveller design??

15236082468741561793337.jpg

• Downvote 1

I'm waiting for Chimp to come up with the goods

• Downvote 2

The world must be a scary place for you conspiracy theorists. 

18 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Chimp is going to fix it.

Edit: Appendix F is what we are looking for.  Not sure what document that is from though but I'm keen to learn.

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

How true LB...Word is Trump in concert with China/Volvo is going to drop all the old V70's on Syria to give V65's some after market value.

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, random said:

Edit: Appendix F is what we are looking for.  Not sure what document that is from though but I'm keen to learn.

I can't wait for Chimp to fix this.  Appendix F is the god document. 

Waiting ...

• Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, random said:

Try "I" and the only thing you have ever looked for is the remnants of that gerbil you were poking up your boyfriend's arse when he farted and your were smoking.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Awesome, Looking forward to this stuff.

Particularly "There was a discussion about wave deflectors forward," sounds really interesting.

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, random said:

Awesome, Looking forward to this stuff.

Particularly "There was a discussion about wave deflectors forward," sounds really interesting.

I'm excited, can't wait for Appendix F.  And the discussion!

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, random said:

Only thing that has excited you is someone died on a raceboat. 

You have gone mad since on every thread and even started this one off the back of that tragedy. Your new "VO65 Tavellers Kill" thread is in the making I'm sure. You down-vote by the truckload anyone who pulls you up.

I'm sick of even baiting you anymore you germ because you don't have one fuckin moral bone in your body and to boot have never been outside the sight of land. Your shark bait at best.

Fuck off and die you decrepit useless cunt and anyone who supports your troll driven posts. The fools like me that have given you oxygen to date by baiting you are just as guilty.

PS. Fish if you are an Albatros zoom down and take this fuckers eyes out.

unnamed (23).jpg

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

nice rant Jack

Dark a whine upstairs of being persecuted believe it or not is behind that rant and tipped me over as being a bigger fool for giving this useless prick oxygen.

6 hours ago, random said:

If you don't even know what Appendix F is then you clearly know nothing about the VO65 class. Look in the rules and you will see that it is where all amendments and changes to the boats that the teams want get either approved or rejected. Attached is the last version from the 2014-15 race. Look at number 49 and you get the answer. Each question was passed to every team for comment and a vote. If all voted unanimously, it was accepted. If someone voted against, it went back on the table and only got resolved if all agreed. This got through first time around.

VO65 CLASS RULE APPENDIX F 140701.pdf

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

If you don't even know what Appendix F is then you clearly know nothing about the VO65 class. Look in the rules and you will see that it is where all amendments and changes to the boats that the teams want get either approved or rejected. Attached is the last version from the 2014-15 race. Look at number 49 and you get the answer. Each question was passed to every team for comment and a vote. If all voted unanimously, it was accepted. If someone voted against, it went back on the table and only got resolved if all agreed. This got through first time around.

Of course he knows nothing about the Class, he’s not interested in anything apart from finding the opposing view and trolling everyone with it. 

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

Great doc, didn't know it. Although it was well documented that VOR veterans had huge input in the design of the VO65, I didn't know the voting process/change management either. Thanks a lot for this good info!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Weird way of spelling carabiner. 

Thanks for posting that.  Lots of housekeeping and crew safety details obviously from crew experience.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
9 hours ago, random said:

Only thing that has excited you is someone died on a raceboat. 

You have gone mad since on every thread and even started this one off the back of that tragedy. Your new "VO65 Tavellers Kill" thread is in the making I'm sure. You down-vote by the truckload anyone who pulls you up.

I'm sick of even baiting you anymore you germ because you don't have one fuckin moral bone in your body and to boot have never been outside the sight of land. Your shark bait at best.

Fuck off and die you decrepit useless cunt and anyone who supports your troll driven posts. The fools like me that have given you oxygen to date by baiting you are just as guilty.

PS. Fish if you are an Albatros zoom down and take this fuckers eyes out.

I see Appendix F Item 49 and we all know that that is not what I asked for or expected.  It does take the focus off the Farr Office who clearly designed some protection.

My presence here is your fault Jack.  This thread was started because the OP in the Leg 8 thread said not to talk about how wet the boats are and I am posting in it because Jacky-boy said he was the Troll hunter, see my sig.  Regardless of what I posted, the porno- content responses and schoolboy-ish abuse documented here are clearly out of order.  Those posts had nothing to do with the subject only cast doubt about the mind of those who posted them, you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.  But I took that as a sign that I had a point and those posting them did not.

My claims here that the boats are wet by design are irrefutable, regardless of who it was that wanted them like that.  More than one group of people designed the boat to take water over the deck to an unprotected crew.  It was not a fuck-up. There was a resulting set of injuries documented widely.  Multiple videoed experienced helmsmen being washed to the end of their tethers, crew submerged.  Each incident with the potential to injure the crew when every person is needed to be fit and contributing.

If a life was lost due to equipment striking a person, then in normal workaday life something would be done about that before it happens again.  But here we have simultaneous cries of outrage about insensitivity of even commenting, and ... "shit happens."  Interesting mix isn't it?  Would a coroner buy that line?

But that's excellent that you are sick of baiting me Jack-boy, because with out that I would not be here doing this.  Piss-poor troll hunter.

My job in this thread is done.

• Downvote 2

and you just demonstrated where your intelligence level lies by comparing normal workday life with sailing a 65ft carbon race yacht in the southern ocean

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

and you just demonstrated where your intelligence level lies by comparing normal workday life with sailing a 65ft carbon race yacht in the southern ocean

Worksafe would have the VOR following the coconut run in the appropriate seasons and boats shipped from the Maldives to Turkey.

Sometimes I can't work out whether he is 100% trolling because he's a total Ass Clown or if he actually believes some of the crap he writes because he's a dumb ass. Either way he is an ass.

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Worksafe would have the VOR following the coconut run in the appropriate seasons and boats shipped from the Maldives to Turkey.

Sometimes I can't work out whether he is 100% trolling because he's a total Ass Clown or if he actually believes some of the crap he writes because he's a dumb ass. Either way he is an ass.

And he just loves the attention. 

7 minutes ago, mad said:

And he just loves the attention. 

but not the down voting kind it seems...

5 minutes ago, hoppy said:

but not the down voting kind it seems...

It would be his ultimate trolling hell to put up post after post over weeks with absolutely no response. 

He’d become a gibberish wreck stuck in whatever world he exists in. Wailing at the walls with indignation most likely. 

Obviously written by a Kiwi

"A 3mm hole may be drilled in each corner of the chilly bin holders in the galley (8 in total) to allow water to drain from the holders."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Obviously written by a Kiwi

"A 3mm hole may be drilled in each corner of the chilly bin holders in the galley (8 in total) to allow water to drain from the holders."

That's how Mike Cookson labels it on his boats plans.  Not sure they know an alternative word for "That-place-where-you-get-your-cold-beer-from."

I see Appendix F Item 49 and we all know that that is not what I asked for or expected.  It does take the focus off the Farr Office who clearly designed some protection.

My presence here is your fault Jack.  This thread was started because the OP in the Leg 8 thread said not to talk about how wet the boats are and I am posting in it because Jacky-boy said he was the Troll hunter, see my sig.  Regardless of what I posted, the porno- content responses and schoolboy-ish abuse documented here are clearly out of order.  Those posts had nothing to do with the subject only cast doubt about the mind of those who posted them, you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.  But I took that as a sign that I had a point and those posting them did not.

My claims here that the boats are wet by design are irrefutable, regardless of who it was that wanted them like that.  More than one group of people designed the boat to take water over the deck to an unprotected crew.  It was not a fuck-up. There was a resulting set of injuries documented widely.  Multiple videoed experienced helmsmen being washed to the end of their tethers, crew submerged.  Each incident with the potential to injure the crew when every person is needed to be fit and contributing.

If a life was lost due to equipment striking a person, then in normal workaday life something would be done about that before it happens again.  But here we have simultaneous cries of outrage about insensitivity of even commenting, and ... "shit happens."  Interesting mix isn't it?  Would a coroner buy that line?

But that's excellent that you are sick of baiting me Jack-boy, because with out that I would not be here doing this.  Piss-poor troll hunter.

My job in this thread is done.

Head Exploding GIF

• Like 2

Shit, he gave me a down vote... I'm going to take the cunt off ignore, I'm missing all the fun. Maybe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

Shit, he gave me a down vote... I'm going to take the cunt off ignore, I'm missing all the fun. Maybe.

Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing you have him on ignore..

Rambum seems to get upset when he gets a downvote, so I think that for every down vote he gives, posters should respond with double the down votes. He seems to sulk a lot when getting down votes.

(I expect to get a flood of them now)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

no one can be that stupid - must be a troll

3 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

no one can be that stupid - must be a troll

I'm giving Rambum the benefit of doubt...

Traveling in excess of 25 knots on any vessel under 300 feet in +10 meter seas is wet. Not to say dangerous to the point of being unseamanlike.  Any captain has to have a very good justification for continuing at flank speed in such a sea state.  But this is exactly the nature of the Volvo Ocean Race.  It is kind of like racing up Everest.  Let's find a place where mere survival is a challenge and race there... It is inherently risky to the point of stupidity and as a result deemed to be heroic.  Some mothers don't see the point.

Recall that the design brief was to deliver a boat with performance on par with the Volvo 70 but with enhanced durability and drastically reduced team campaign costs.  I think the boats are getting around the oceans more than fast enough, and that Nick Bice and the Boatyard crew are doing a very good job of keeping a fleet ready to go to sea. It has to be an enormous challenge.  If the boats throw a bit more water around than I  would like, tough shit, I don't race them.

SHC

• Like 8

The Farr office have just announced that in response to this thread, they are currently working on modifications to make the V65 boats dryer for the last legs, in the hope that Randumb's head won't keep exploding. Sailing Anarchy has just received this pic of them testing the Mods.

image.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

Traveling in excess of 25 knots on any vessel under 300 feet in +10 meter seas is wet. Not to say dangerous to the point of being unseamanlike.  Any captain has to have a very good justification for continuing at flank speed in such a sea state.  But this is exactly the nature of the Volvo Ocean Race.  It is kind of like racing up Everest.  Let's find a place where mere survival is a challenge and race there... It is inherently risky to the point of stupidity and as a result deemed to be heroic.  Some mothers don't see the point.

Recall that the design brief was to deliver a boat with performance on par with the Volvo 70 but with enhanced durability and drastically reduced team campaign costs.  I think the boats are getting around the oceans more than fast enough, and that Nick Bice and the Boatyard crew are doing a very good job of keeping a fleet ready to go to sea. It has to be an enormous challenge.  If the boats throw a bit more water around than I  would like, tough shit, I don't race them.

SHC

Steve's comments got me to thinking about this thread and some important points many people have missed especially when comparing the VO65 to an IMOCA.

Firstly these are not boats that have been 'foisted' on the VOR sailors. As already mentioned in this or other VOR threads sailors had an input during the design process and although not all their input was included, much was including wave deflectors.

The second and more important point is that for most of the time (for most read 90%+)  IMOCA sailors don't steer their boat. I am sure many can recall the helo shots from a French Military aircraft of Alex and Armel blasting along in the Southern Ocean while Alex in particular was waving from the top of the coachroof.

The autopilot does that for them. Volvo Ocean Race boats do not have an autopilot, they are all hand steered. To be able to do that you need to be able to see where you are going.

With the amount of water that is going to come over the bow of ANY boat travelling at speed where the ratio to waterline length and wave height is such a small number they are - by definition almost - going to be wet.

Put a covered cockpit on board and the helm either has to remain exposed only now the water is going to come off the back of a cockpit cover just in front of him/her or you include the helm position under the cover and he/she wont be able to see where they are going, at least not as clearly.

If you doubt this for even a moment go google some video of powerboats in heavy weather where even with roto-screens or high volume windscreen wipers there are significant periods of time where forward vision is obliterated entirely. Add to that internal reflections from instrument displays or any form of light at all and the helm will be driving blind for a significant percentage of the time.

In the past I have helmed powered vessels in heavy seas (although nowhere near the 30kts+ of a VO65 in the Southern Ocean) and even spray can reduce visibility enough to provide a pretty unclear view from time to time and if it is solid water you are driving blind until the screen spins it off or the wipers sweep it aside.

If that time to time coincides with a helm trying to find the low point in a wave crest ahead it could make the difference between rising over or stuffing the bow into it with the resultant potential for deceleration injury, especially to those moving about down below.

I agree with all of Steve's comments by the way. The current fleet is largely getting round all the way except when the sailors drop the rig or hit something harder than a composite hull and that is important for the sponsor's ROI which is important for a commercial event. It is dangerous but no more so than the earlier editions of the race. In fact probably significantly less so. It is, as Mike Sanderson aptly put, many sailors' Everest and anyine that 'does' the race knows they are not setting out for a jolly around the bay

SS

• Like 5