Sign in to follow this  
Ron Dejesus

used mast for sale?

Anyone know of a Vanguard Nomad 17 mast for sale? I know Seldon makes them, but I'm hoping to find a used one in good condition before I contact them.

You might contact Laser Performance to see if they happen to have one in stock.  I bet at this point you might be able to negotiate a better price than retail.

looks like it's actually a tapered mast - might be hard to find one that is close enough?

Thanks for your comments.

I'm in Northern California.  The mast is 23 ft long with single spreader, tapered, 3 X 2.25 inches at the base. It was made by Seldon Mast Company, but I wonder if other companies made Nomad mast too?

I'm waiting for a reply from the local Seldon dealer, but I have a sinking feeling that I'll have to rig up something else. I'll let you know what I find.

Seems to me that a mast from a 505 or FD might work, they measure very close to that.

3 hours ago, wannabefd said:

Seems to me that a mast from a 505 or FD might work, they measure very close to that.

The Superspar M2 that is common in the 505 class is very close in dimensions.  What you measured is 57 x 76mm and the M2 is 57 x 72mm.  

On 4/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, Ron Dejesus said:

Thanks for your comments.

I'm in Northern California.  The mast is 23 ft long with single spreader, tapered, 3 X 2.25 inches at the base. It was made by Seldon Mast Company, but I wonder if other companies made Nomad mast too?

I'm waiting for a reply from the local Seldon dealer, but I have a sinking feeling that I'll have to rig up something else. I'll let you know what I find.

The problem with trying to find a specific used mast is that masts are a high failure rate item. People bust masts (and rudders) a lot more than they bust hulls (and hulls are a relatively easy fix). So there are 2nd hand masts floating around from boas that have suffered from some other disaster..... usually sitting in a back yard while vines grow up through them for 20+ years, which masts can be recovered from just fine....... the supply of 2nd hand masts is very spotty and unreliable.

I was going to suggest finding a 2nd hand Flying Dutchman on Craigslist with an intact mast and buying it, and scrapping the boat. Feels close to treason to suggest that, but as others suggested there are other Craigslist beauties that might work too

FB- Doug

Ron,

I sent you a PM.  I'm a Superspar importer for only the 505 and 110 classes and I could order you a new M2 at a reasonable price. We could have it shipped bare so you could tailor the spreader height and other halyard exits, gooseneck, to the Nomad.

Note the Nomad has uppers, lowers and a gnav. Not sure if the 505 mast contemplates these alterations - especially the lowers.

There was a used 505 mast advertised on Craigslist here in the SF Bay Area recently (I think it was in San Jose). The listing appears to have expired, can't find it now, but it may come back since it is unlikely it sold.

The Nomad mast section is a Sheldon Gamma, which is their largest and stiffest dinghy section. It is probably marginally under spec for the Nomad, but  we chose a light and limber rig under the " performance daysailer" rubric. The rig was intended to be very responsive to Cunningham and vang, enabling the boat to be worked to weather in brisk conditions. Raking back also helps freeup the jib leech further depowering the rig.  The Small keelboat sections were all too stiff to permit this type of tuning.

SHC

Thanks to everyone for your remarks and suggestions. I was able to order a Nomad mast from Selden Mast. They only offer completely machined and fitted masts, so I'll have some spare fittings when all is said and done, but I'm happy to be able to restore the boat to it's original specs. With new shrouds and eventually some new sails, the boat will be in "like new" condition.

Also: if you check out David Butt's website section on the Nomad you can see my swim ladder installation in case you are looking for a clean ladder solution.

caio for nato,

Ron

I ordered one a few years back.  Bent the original when I it buried in a very soft lake bottom.  Took forever to get to me in VT.  I think it took over 6 months.  Mine was also complete but the spreaders, and mast track were different.  The sail I had made is a little tight in the track with the new mast

Ugh! I hope mine doesn't take six months! The dealer estimated 8 weeks. Hope he's right!

I noticed in the Selden web site that they didn't seem to offer the same length spreaders that were on my boat. Were your new spreaders shorter than your originals? Did your new mast include a mast heel?