hoppy

........ to Noumea

Sydney to Noumea  
Starts June 2nd

Currently 24 yachts are entered. Looks like there are just racing and cruising divisions.

Both Satphone & HF required

http://noumea.cyca.com.au/

Brisbane to Noumea 

Starts

Friday 1 June 2018 – Division 2
Saturday 2 June 2018 – Division 1 & Multihulls

Only 7 boats entered.

Includes short handed crews (2 or 3) racing and cruising divisions which also may start from Gladstone or Bundyberg

Both Satphone & HF required

https://www.rqys.com.au/events/brisbane-to-noumea-2018/

Auckland to Noumea 

Starts 31st May & June 2nd

Multihull, shorthanded and cruising divisions included

11 boats entered 

sat phones OR HF 

http://aucklandnoumea.com/

Melbourne to Noumea

Was due to start 29th May, but it's been canceled due to the lack of entries 

http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php/sailing/races/long-distance-events/2018-noumea-race

sat phones OR HF 

The S2N is easily the best represented, but no maxi's 

YACHT NAME SAIL NUMBER STATE / COUNTRY TYPE
Abracadabra 5612 NSW Tripp 47
Cartouche B10 VIC Beneteau First 50
Dare Devil RF5095 NSW Farr/Cookson 47
Dreki Sunnan 1545 NSW Beneteau First 45
Eve TBA NSW Swan 65
Flying Cloud 6808 NSW First 40
Frantic GBR5211L NSW TP52 Donovan
GBP Yeah Baby A5 NSW Welbourn 50
Grace O'Malley 099 NSW Cookson 12
Helsal 3 262 NSW Adams 20
Kayimai MH 46 NSW Azurre 46
King Billy 4966 NSW Custom/ John King
Komatsu Azzurro 3430 NSW S&S 34
More Witchcraft 8402 NSW Dibley 46
One For The Road R401 VIC Archambault 40
Papillon 6841 NSW Archambault 40RC
Patrice 360 NSW Ker 46
Santana M 236 NSW Swan 43
SeaMoRacing Mahligai NZL1 NSW Sydney 46
She's Apples Two 4527 TAS Jarkan 12.5
Smuggler 421 NSW Rogers 46
Sticky A 164 NSW Salona 38
TSA Management MH60 NSW Sydney 38
Wings 07 NSW Dehler 46

41 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

don't like having to pack a set of jarmies and more than one hot meal?

Only liking coastal sprints? pussies.... 

44 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Hey - didn't we do this already?

I think you got your answer. No one...

So Duncan, for this one in 40 footer, (most of the fleet) it is probably 6 sunrises and requires just a bit more thought than say rshyr?

But should not involve too much on the nose. But still > 1,000 nm, so not to be trifled with.........

Little bit surprised that more yachts are not doing the Groupama race around New Cal.

Afterall if you go to the trouble of racing to a tropical Island why not sail around it!!

The Groupama Race is a great event.  You can sail inside the lagoon in flat water for most of the race if you want or go outside with better breeze.  Warm and good winds with fantastic hospitality, what more could you want.

Yep,  missed the decision time by nearly a full day!  Apparently all the models agree it's going to be a bit nasty, so no point waiting to make the decision.

TUBBY

Evidently the swell model was suggesting 6m + from around 135 axis, with probably 40 tws out on the shelf, eac around 2 knots all equals ugly.

So good early call from the cyc and pro.

New start time 0900 Sunday.

Its certainly howling here this morning, only 25-30 recorded on the dial in the harbour so far but seabreeze has full on brown trousers predicted later.

been 35-40ish gusting 50 on and off at Wattamolla for a couple of days.

Sydney wave height currently 5-ish m and rising

sydney.png.b04f2abd05bdec85fa8baa05fa41e43f.png

let's hope the wind and waves has pushed those containers North, rather than them drifting South with that eddy off Sydney!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

That's a long way to go in an S&S34! 

It sure is, but what an impressive palmares! 

Azzurro was raced with extreme success in the mid 80s and early 90s by Ron White and his family out of Sandringham Yacht Club, when the boat was called Shenandoah 11.  Among their numerous successes was a divisional win in the 1994 Sydney Hobart with a faster finishing time than the winners of the 2 divisions above them.

Veteran Sydney based sailor, Shane Kearns came across her in Queensland in early 2014, unearthing a jewel in an idle and sadly unloved state.  To say she had seen better days was an understatement.  However, Kearns was unable to dismiss the classic and evocative Olin Stephens lines, bought the boat on his credit card for $23K and kicked off a major resurrection project, restoring pride and respect to this feisty little S&S 34.

Add a great crew from the late John Walkers Petersen 34 Impeccable and this boat was ready to go hard!  With the restoration still underway the day before the 2014 S2HYR, she made a spectacular debut finishing 3rd in her division and setting a new S2HYR S&S 34 race record of under four days for the race.  In July 2015, Azzurro continued to improve and impress by winning the Sydney to Gold Coast Yacht Race in both IRC and ORCI overall.  Azzurro had a great race in the 2015 Rolex Sydney Hobart, finishing 3rd overall in IRC and winning both ORCI overall and the Corinthian division.

In 2016, now sponsored by multinational mining machinery company KOMATSU Australia, Komatsu Azzurro won both her IRC and ORCI divisions in the slowest Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race in memory.  Azzurro had a great race in Perpetual Loyal's record breaking 2016 Rolex Sydney Hobart, finishing 3rd overall IRC and 6th overall ORCI. and 3rd Corinthian division, as well as 2nd in her IRC division and 1st in her ORCI division.  Azzurro completed the 628 mile course in 3 days 15 hours, beating several much bigger boats across the finish line and again lowering the S & S 34 race time to Hobart.  In her first race of 2017, Komatsu Azzurro again won the Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race placing 1st in both IRC and ORCI overall.

Now for the 2018 Noumea and Groupama races, where Komatsu Azzurro will continue to be the little boat that could!

4 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

It sure is, but what an impressive palmares! 

Azzurro was raced with extreme success in the mid 80s and early 90s by Ron White and his family out of Sandringham Yacht Club, when the boat was called Shenandoah 11.  Among their numerous successes was a divisional win in the 1994 Sydney Hobart with a faster finishing time than the winners of the 2 divisions above them.

Veteran Sydney based sailor, Shane Kearns came across her in Queensland in early 2014, unearthing a jewel in an idle and sadly unloved state.  To say she had seen better days was an understatement.  However, Kearns was unable to dismiss the classic and evocative Olin Stephens lines, bought the boat on his credit card for $23K and kicked off a major resurrection project, restoring pride and respect to this feisty little S&S 34.

Add a great crew from the late John Walkers Petersen 34 Impeccable and this boat was ready to go hard!  With the restoration still underway the day before the 2014 S2HYR, she made a spectacular debut finishing 3rd in her division and setting a new S2HYR S&S 34 race record of under four days for the race.  In July 2015, Azzurro continued to improve and impress by winning the Sydney to Gold Coast Yacht Race in both IRC and ORCI overall.  Azzurro had a great race in the 2015 Rolex Sydney Hobart, finishing 3rd overall in IRC and winning both ORCI overall and the Corinthian division.

In 2016, now sponsored by multinational mining machinery company KOMATSU Australia, Komatsu Azzurro won both her IRC and ORCI divisions in the slowest Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race in memory.  Azzurro had a great race in Perpetual Loyal's record breaking 2016 Rolex Sydney Hobart, finishing 3rd overall IRC and 6th overall ORCI. and 3rd Corinthian division, as well as 2nd in her IRC division and 1st in her ORCI division.  Azzurro completed the 628 mile course in 3 days 15 hours, beating several much bigger boats across the finish line and again lowering the S & S 34 race time to Hobart.  In her first race of 2017, Komatsu Azzurro again won the Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race placing 1st in both IRC and ORCI overall.

Now for the 2018 Noumea and Groupama races, where Komatsu Azzurro will continue to be the little boat that could!

Oh my god. What. A. Boat, I never knew!

Yes, we all know the story, bought it on a credit card, found the crew at a funeral. 

8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

That's a long way to go in an S&S34! 

Hardly a long way, numerous S&S 34s have circumnavigated , Jessie Martin, David Dicks, Jon Sanders, Jessica Watson are a few that come to mind.

Another S&S 34 just finished second on line in the two-handed Melbourne to Osaka race. Kearnsie has been kicking serious IRC arse with Azzurro for a few years now.

9 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Hardly a long way, numerous S&S 34s have circumnavigated , Jessie Martin, David Dicks, Jon Sanders, Jessica Watson are a few that come to mind.

Another S&S 34 just finished second on line in the two-handed Melbourne to Osaka race. Kearnsie has been kicking serious IRC arse with Azzurro for a few years now.

I'm well aware of history of the S&S34, the backstory & recent successes of Azzuro, as is everyone. If I wanted to go half the speed of modern 40' whilst being uncomfortable in a shit cockpit while spending the same amount of money, I'd probably buy one too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

...whilst being uncomfortable in a shit cockpit...

Pic from the start, cockpit looks busy!

komatsu3.JPG

2 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Blingk 4th (Shaw 12) yes the one you guys band from the S2H

Corrected

Anyone got the story on She's Apples II dismasting? 

38 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Mast fell down, boat cannot sail to Noumea, boat goes back to Sydney.

If you're going with that on the insurance claim form, you might need to find god. 

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Which part of my account is not correct or factual?

Which part did I say wasn't correct of factual? 

18 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Mast fell down, boat cannot sail to Noumea, boat goes back to Sydney.

17 hours ago, SCANAS said:

If you're going with that on the insurance claim form, you might need to find god. 

Not if the mast was cut away for the  safety of the crew and Boat.

Remember dead men or masts tell no lies 

Now Gorn FRANTIC, the way you wrote that makes me think you had just watched Clarke and Dawe !!!!!!

pulpit

Anybody know if there was a problem on Azzurro? 

Yesterday she was leading IRC and ORC, but today's she's dead last in everything?  It should be good conditions for her and the speed looks good (9.6kn while other boats nearby are going 7-8), so if there was a problem it's fixed now?   

Well, apparently Frantic finished first an hour ago and Yeah Baby is 0.3 miles from the finish.

I have to say, that while I'm sure the race itself was awesome that the reporting has been... virtually non existent?

Frantic first of the Sydney fleet but it was close with Ran Tan from the Auckland fleet crossing 10 minutes before... Patrice is narrowly holding off Miss Scarlet in another Aus/NZ battle.

Coverage from the Auckland side is good http://aucklandnoumea.com/news/ 

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Well, apparently Frantic finished first an hour ago and Yeah Baby is 0.3 miles from the finish.

I have to say, that while I'm sure the race itself was awesome that the reporting has been... virtually non existent?

still waiting on the carrier pigeons to get back I hear.  Unleses of course the crews ate them along the way.  Tastes like chicken.

20 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

still waiting on the carrier pigeons to get back I hear.  Unleses of course the crews ate them along the way.  Tastes like chicken.

I don't want to think about how hard it would be putting together a pie crust in those warm conditions. I guess you could always wrap the whole bird in foil and put it next to the engine when you're doing a battery charge...

2 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

I don't want to think about how hard it would be putting together a pie crust in those warm conditions. I guess you could always wrap the whole bird in foil and put it next to the engine when you're doing a battery charge...

The feathers could be useful

On 6/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, Jason AUS said:

Grind, rather than awesome.

The race was... wet? but a 4 day drag race, updates are hard when you only have competitor paid sat comms though, no Volvo budgets here!