• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
AndrewYM

RS Vision not found on RS Sailing rssailing.com - status change?

Andrew,

The Vision was discontinued a few years ago when the RS Quest came online. 

• Like 1

Thats too bad that the RS Vision is discontinued.

I like this dinghy a lot.

Our club purchased 5x about 2 years ago. I guess the club knew at the time of that purchase that the Vision was out of production.

The wikipedia page for the RS VIsion does not mention that they are no longer being built.

I tried a number of Internet searches about the RS Vision being cancelled and did not turn anything reference.

Hence this post to sailing anarchy. So thanks for your response.

I have recently seen a few used Visions for sale. No mention anywhere on the Internet to advise   prospective owners that the Vision is out of print and it has no future as a class dinghy.

Was there any offical announcment, or just a quiet fade away into the night?

Thanks,

Andrew

Did the vision ever have a future as class dinghy? I always thought it was sailing school and leisure sailing orientated. 

I'd expect most of the venture, quest, neo, quest range all to be updated every 10 years or so. If you're selling to sailing centres then they'll want a new updated model, not the same thing they bought 10 years ago. 

Obviously it's different for the boats with active class racing who need a supply of one design boats and parts. I'm sure RS could do much better designs of some of their classics, but the key selling point of these classes is that one design fleets are already established, so it wouldn't make sense for RS to disrupt that (they have made some 'upgrades' to the 200, 400, and 800 over time though). 

• Like 1

A pretty good clue is on http://www.rssailing.org/, where they list their supported class associations. My guess is that if they haven't set up a CA for a type they probably don't see it as a significant class racer. 

On April 13, 2018 at 3:30 PM, JimC said:

A pretty good clue is on http://www.rssailing.org/, where they list their supported class associations. My guess is that if they haven't set up a CA for a type they probably don't see it as a significant class racer. 

Oh dear, that would indicate an inauspicious start for the Really Fugly Twenty One aka RS21. 

18 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Oh dear, that would indicate an inauspicious start for the Really Fugly Twenty One aka RS21. 

It takes a while to set up the class, not sure they've made any production boats yet, so i don't think you can read much from that... maybe your post was tongue in cheek though. 

The RS Sailing website doesn't list the RS300 or RS600 as production boats either, despite still having some class racing (and being the on class website list that JimC linked).

At least the RS Vision has a page and some stock on the RsSailingStore...

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

It takes a while to set up the class, not sure they've made any production boats yet, so i don't think you can read much from that... maybe your post was tongue in cheek though. 

The RS Sailing website doesn't list the RS300 or RS600 as production boats either, despite still having some class racing (and being the on class website list that JimC linked).

At least the RS Vision has a page and some stock on the RsSailingStore...

It looks like the RS300 and RS 600 are now manufactured by The Boatyard at Beer - not RS Sailing.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:40 AM, jgils said:

Andrew,

The Vision was discontinued a few years ago when the RS Quest came online. 

Yep, the Quest is more stable for beginners, much more the right boat at the right time. RS has sold 1200 in two years. A lot can change in a decade, the VIsion was so 2004.

RS_Vision-sail-hiked.JPG

RS_Quest-CEB2.jpg

RS_Quest-rudder.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your disappointment in the RS Vision being gone, it is a great boat, we still support the parts and will do for the foreseeable future http://www.rssailingstore.com/Catalogue/RS-Parts/RS-Vision though some parts may have a leadtime.  

In 2016, the first full year of the RS Quest we sold around 600, in the same time we sold 6 RS Visions.  We didn't intentionally let the boat fade, we were hoping to still supported it and still offered the RS Vision in 2017, we didn't sell a single boat so it just went away on it's own.  In that same time sold another 500 or so RS Quests and there are now over 300 in North America. The Quest is just newer tech and less expensive to produce, all gains for our customers.

So we let our customers vote with their feet and the choice was pretty clear.  If there was demand for a run of Visions, we'd try to get them made as long as the tool is still useable.  

That being said, We've certainly learned a lot of form and function over the last 20 years of building Rotomolded boats. The RS Quest was an opportunity to start from scratch using all that knowledge, every aspect of the boat is thought out starting with sailing design followed closely by the function of all it's features and how they can improve the sailing experience for all of our customers.  Little things like the rail being pushed out and rolled over with non skid on the bottom side, this helps shed water while sailing and makes the boat a million times easier to handle than previous boats.  

If there is something I can do to help please don't hesitate to give me a shout todd@rssailing.com