Sign in to follow this  
jgbrown

Best Multi-purpose cleaner/heavy duty degreaser I've found.

A couple years ago I was talking with a company (Recochem) about making a custom(no colour or added fragrance) batch of one of their degreaser/multipurpose cleaner products.  I planned to use it as a replacement for about 4 products(bilge cleaning, glass cleaning, engine degreasing and upholstery cleaning), I wanted it to be safe on bare aluminium as well.   After a few weeks of research I hadn't found anything on the market that was: Concentrated, close to PH neutral, free of added colours that might be a risk on light coloured vinyls etc and started talks with them about a modification of an existing blend they sell(unfortunately with a bright colour added).    Especially here in Canada it's hard to find anything with D Limonene(citrus degreaser) at anything over 3%, and it's hard to import for some reason it's qualified as a pesticide or something.

While we were discussing minimum orders and pricing/labeling and I was shopping it around to a few places, a distributor got interested and asked me to try a new product they were carrying.  That product was Lloyds LX2000.  I abandoned the project since it was affordable and met all the requirements which let me focus on work instead.     Depending on the dilution ratio(from 1:1 for heavy degreasing to 1:50 for glass cleaning) it covers all the functions, and is about the same price as many ready to use products per gallon so it saves a lot of money.   I add a tablespoon of concentrated dishwasher(for use in heavy duty commercial dishwashers, dilution ratio of 1:264 recommended) disinfectant to each gallon jug to make up the only thing it was missing, and stick a pump on top to dispense it into spray bottles labeled for the different uses(1 pump= 30ML), I use 1:3 at the strongest, 1:10 for general purpose cleaning and 1:50 for a glass cleaner and keep a pourable bottle of 1:1 for wiping/scrubbing grease.   It also has an interesting behavior, when diluted it sprays almost clear(light orange colour), but when it hits oil on the floor it changes colour, to the point that even footprints from someone who has oil on their boots will show clearly.  Because we do gelcoat/glass work in one area I am very cautious about any potential spread of oil/contamination so this is a bonus.  

A few people have asked me for the above info and use it as a home//bathroom/garage cleaner instead of buying lots of different products so I figured I'd share it here too.

I have used a similar product. Mixed at about 5:1 it should act as a reasonable anti-spatter for mig welding as well.